• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the movie thread but it got lost in the hype lol, this might be better to ask, In regards to the comics, would the current Avengers run by Jonathan Hickman be the best read in regards to what they are (or might be) basing these new films on? I'm still new to comics (particularly Marvel).. but I'd love to get into an Avengers run.

I have no idea if they'll be basing any movies off of it....based on the slate announced, probably not (though who can say?). Age of Ultron does not appear to have much in common with the Age of Ultron comic, so I wouldn't even worry about trying to line them up. You should read Hickman's Avengers because it's awesome, and a great intro to all the characters. Read New Avengers, too. Those two books will get you up to speed on most of the major events happening with the Avengers now. I'd start at #1 with both, they're just great runs.

Infinity Gauntlet is still a good suggestion if you want to familiarize yourself with some of the ideas and characters they will be drawing from..but it's pretty dated and I wouldn't recommend it to a new reader. Civil War is kinda fun and looks to be a prominent source of upcoming material, too....again, though, not something I would recommend to a newbie. It just isn't good enough to be worth your time at this stage.

PsychBat!

Banned
Kinda silly though. Avengers: Infinity War will probably more based on Infinity Gauntlet. Infinity War was a silly event and Infinity Crusade was even worse.

Messi

Did someone get paid to write that list?

Yo Blacksad. Why you holding up my ist order? does my order not have to travel far enough yet without you being out of stock?

That list is such garbage it really isn't even worth mentioning. I'm no great lover of Superman, but if the end of your "best super heroes" list is

91. Getting hit by a car
92. Superman

you don't deserve to have it discussed in any fashion beyond calling you out for your dickery and trolling

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This Infinity Wars Teaser is pretty good. I like how the people go apeshit when they see the Gauntlet and even more when they noticed thats acutally two movies.

No it's not a fight. It's drive by shitposting by the types of people we don't welcome here. This isn't fucking CBR forums, we're trying to accomplish something different, and there is no room for attacking a person over their preference.

There's room for fandom of every book here, and it's not up to one person to tell a member of our community that their opinion is invalid.

Fucking hell.

Zombine is channeling Cheska here and I LIKE IT!

Also Leave Messi Alone!

Started the Howard the Duck omnibus. Fear #19 and Man-Thing #1 are pretty meh, but the actual Howard-centric stuff is a lot of fun so far.

Glad to see that Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Carol Danvers are getting their own movies. Great timing for my Doctor Strange book to arrive, eh? Hopefully Civil War turns out better than the comic apparently was.

And speaking of MCU, blah blah blah know nothing about Inhumans blah blah blah current series any good?

Zombine

Banned
Zombine is channeling Cheska here and I LIKE IT!

Also Leave Messi Alone!

1773176-hercules___thumbs_up_2.jpg

frye

So I've recently gone through all of Shade, the Changing Man after only finishing the first or second collection before.

... and wow everyone was right about that book after issue 50. This must be what reading those last 150 issues of Cerebus was like, tho obviously on a much smaller scale. I don't think I've ever seen a writer sabotage his own dang comic so completely before.

So I've recently gone through all of Shade, the Changing Man after only finishing the first or second collection before.

... and wow everyone was right about that book after issue 50. This must be what reading those last 150 issues of Cerebus was like, tho obviously on a much smaller scale. I don't think I've ever seen a writer sabotage his own dang comic so completely before.

the last story works, I think, but yeah...

yeah

wasn't the same after Bachalo left

MattyG

Banned
This is probably a weird question, but I'm new at this so I'll ask anyway; about how long does it usually take you guys to read one issue? I feel like I might be going through too fast, not taking enough time looking at the details in the art and whatnot. It's kind of annoying, because I want to look at the art but I also want to read the dialogue to see what happens next.

Messi

This is probably a weird question, but I'm new at this so I'll ask anyway; about how long does it usually take you guys to read one issue? I feel like I might be going through too fast, not taking enough time looking at the details in the art and whatnot. It's kind of annoying, because I want to look at the art but I also want to read the dialogue to see what happens next.

15-20 mins, usually a bit more for image/indie books. I also feel like I don't take in enough.

fauxtrot

Banned

Depending on how text heavy an issue is, I'd say I take 10-20 minutes per issue.

15-20 mins, usually a bit more for image/indie books. I also feel like I don't take in enough.

Depending on how text heavy an issue is, I'd say I take 10-20 minutes per issue.

Yup, 15 is my average for a first read. The art has to be really jaw-dropping to slow me down, text-heavy stuff sometimes brings it to twenty.

If I really enjoyed a book I take more time with it the second time around. I read almost all of my comics at least twice.

Edit: it's funny that we are all posting about the same times, I've seen posters take shit a couple times for timestamps indicating they left the thread to read a book and came back with impressions in ~fifteen minutes

frye

the last story works, I think, but yeah...

yeah

wasn't the same after Bachalo left

It's weird, because it's not like the artists after Bachalo are bad (between Phillips, Buckingham, Lark, Case I'd say 3/4 are some of my favourite guys) but the comic really falls apart without him (and a certain character)

Shoutouts to Bachalo btw, dude rocked every since he started drawing comics

It's weird, because it's not like the artists after Bachalo are bad (between Phillips, Buckingham, Lark, Case I'd say 3/4 are some of my favourite guys) but the comic really falls apart without him (and a certain character)

Shoutouts to Bachalo btw, dude rocked every since he started drawing comics

I know, he has fantastic artists, but...man

and yeah, Bachalo is fantastic right from the start. Not as crazy as his modern day stuff, more realistic proportions, but he still had a great eye for horror. Milligan and him were a great team, they could create sequences that grabbed you right from the beginning.

Boogiepop

Ow, my brain. I just spent most of my day reading through pretty much all of Attack on Titan that's been released in the states all in a row. That was way too much reading.

Messi

Why did someone have to tell me Olivia Wilde turned down the role of Gamora. Like...what the fuck man. She would have been so much better than Zoe Saldana.

I gotta look at my CC later and see if DCBS charged me for it yet.

I open all my IST packages on the day they arrive. :D

Did you not find a statue box months after you got it unopened?

fauxtrot

Banned
Oh, good. That's about the pace I've been going. I'm 2 issues into the Winter Soldier Complete Collection and it's been about 30-45 minutes.

To be more specific, on a first read through I look at the art in each panel, read the panel's text, and move on to the next panel... and then before I turn the page, I do a once-over of the art again, taking in the entire page as a whole.

This is probably a "no shit, Sherlock" kind of post, but there you go.

Why did someone have to tell me Olivia Wilde turned down the role of Gamora. Like...what the fuck man. She would have been so much better than Zoe Saldana.

Maybe she turned it down for an even bigger role in a future comic-book movie? :O

Next summer, Olivia Wilde is Harleen Quinzel in... SUICIDE SQUAD

I plan on getting this my next IST order

I love United States of Murder Inc. Its getting so go the last issue was a book of the month contender for me.
You should check it out., same style as Powers.

I'll definitely take a look at that. Didn't know they were collaborating again.

I couldn't find Powers Definitive 1 on IST and it is selling for $45 on Amazon. Look on CheapGraphicNovels.com.

MattyG

Banned
Loving Winter Soldier so far. I love spy stuff, so this is right up my alley.

Are there any good Star Wars comics? Or are they all pretty meh?

To be more specific, on a first read through I look at the art in each panel, read the panel's text, and move on to the next panel... and then before I turn the page, I do a once-over of the art again, taking in the entire page as a whole.

I actually had no idea how I should read each page. I was kind of darting back and forth between the text and the art, and that wasn't going so well on my eyes. This seems like a good method.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I know, he has fantastic artists, but...man

and yeah, Bachalo is fantastic right from the start. Not as crazy as his modern day stuff, more realistic proportions, but he still had a great eye for horror. Milligan and him were a great team, they could create sequences that grabbed you right from the beginning.

I tried reading Shade years and years ago, and I don't think my brain was prepared for it at all, but it's always an essential Vertigo run that I feel like I need to read. I think I may do an Invisibles re-read, and then dive into Shade.

I think you and frye were also talking about Milligan's Enigma a while back--I should look into that, right?

Messi

Maybe she turned it down for an even bigger role in a future Marvel movie? :O

I know you are trying to cheer me up, but its much more likely that marvel wanted her to sign one of those huge multi movie contract dealies and she wouldn't commit due to family shit. Its over man. Tron era Olivia would have been all over that shit.

I'll definitely take a look at that. Didn't know they were collaborating again.

I couldn't find Powers Definitive 1 on IST and it is selling for $45 on Amazon. Look on CheapGraphicNovels.com.
Damn. Its really that expensive now? I think I own it. Not sure. Maybe that crappy looking PSN show will force Bendis to do a reprint

fauxtrot

Banned
I dunno who she'd work well as, honestly... Gamora would have been a good fit for her, but I can't really think of anyone else she'd seem natural as.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
This is the most ridiculous post I've ever read

i've spent so much money on statues. I've spent like $100 on a statue I didn't really like just to have the full set

Basically in my eyes you are a real monster

Yeah, yeah. Except I'm the guy who went to his first comic con ever a month back and didn't spend a dime.
Don't be too surprised. Haha

I really need to pick up at least the first trade sometime soon. I've been wanting to read that for a long time.

I'm a super slow reader and have to make sure I don't miss anything at all, so I usually take 20-25 minutes. The key thing though is that if you're enjoying it, you're doing it right no matter how short or long of a time it's taking you.

And regarding you mentioning how to go about a panel (text first vs. art first vs. jumping back and forth), I usually let the panel layout decide how I read it. If the text is at the top or left edge of the panel, I read the text first. If the text is at the bottom or right edge, I look at the art first. But again, it's whatever works for you. It's kind of an impulsive thing, so don't think about it too much. Just do what's natural.

I think you and frye were also talking about Milligan's Enigma a while back--I should look into that, right?

There's a new printing of the TPB coming out sometime next month I think if you didn't already know. I'm definitely planning to pick it up. I've heard great things.
Edit: Woops. Beaten to it.

frye

I really need to pick up at least the first trade sometime soon. I've been wanting to read that for a long time.

The problem is that the first 3 collections are it for the foreseeable future. It looks like they already had the files on hand though, so it's completely out digitally (or in a backissue bin near you!)

Messi

I dunno who she'd work well as, honestly... Gamora would have been a good fit for her, but I can't really think of anyone else she'd seem natural as.

Spider-Woman

Psh. I still have unopened figure boxes around. Unopened as in the packages are still factory-sealed. The actual boxes they were shipped in were opened post-haste.

I know you think that is better, but its not :p

I still have a sealed Ronaldinho figure from the year he joined Barcelona. No idea why I never opened it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom