• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been thinking about the shambles of the ultimate line, it's original intentions and the MCU. I think it's time to put the ultimate line to rest. Do a reboot that makes the ultimate line the MCU in comic form. Books are used as planned arcs in between films, and they are the line that marvel uses to associate with movie releases. And the 616 just does it's own thing. Then you've got the comic line as extensions of their tv and movies.

Oh and move miles to the 616

Thoughts?

Messi

So I've been thinking about the shambles of the ultimate line, it's original intentions and the MCU. I think it's time to put the ultimate line to rest. Do a reboot that makes the ultimate line the MCU in comic form. Books are used as planned arcs in between films, and they are the line that marvel uses to associate with movie releases. And the 616 just does it's own thing. Then you've got the comic line as extensions of their tv and movies.

Thoughts?

I think its time Miles got his move over to the 616 and then they can burn the rest of it.

fauxtrot

Banned
Damn, too many great books this month... sorting out my top 3 is going to be rough. Luckily, I don't think anything is coming out tomorrow that will affect it, so I can start now.

Messi

Special Edition Revival prints:

One by Jenny Frison:

Revival_JennyFrison.jpg

http://secretpanel.org/shop

I'm gonna get the Jenny one. Its awesome.

Thoughts?

I think what happen with Hickman/Ribic's Ultimate Avengers is basically the whole line's problem in a nutshell.

You got a rebooted Ultimates, big creative team of John Hickman and Esad Ribic, promoting a strong creative vision and direction for the various members...and then a few months later they get picked up for bigger 616 books, leaving after like 5 issues or some shit. Replaced with Sam Whoever and some other competent but not exactly Ribic caliber artist, and then no one cares anymore. Ultimates went from Mark Millar and Brian Hitch to Michel Fiffe(god bless him) and some guy who isn't Michel Fiffe on art.

Another big thing was the whole idea about the Ultimate Universe was that it was a clean slate from all the decades of continuity from the 616. Well, the funny thing about continuity; it kinda builds up after several years! So now you got years of continuity in an irrelevant ass universe that outside Bendis(the ONE book that has been consistently popular since 2001), they don't put any of their big talent on. Why do that when you can just put them on their main books, the ones that people have a bigger chance of giving a damn about?

Its just a weird hanger-on from an bygone era. All the tactics they used to make the Ultimates popular in the early 2000s, outside Ult. Spider-Man, have been absorbed into the 616, leaving the Ultimates with nothing of any value.

Parch

Because of the movie I'll assume there's about to be a new Dr. Strange solo title coming. Is he in anything right now? I read Season One, but I seriously can't think of any comic right now with him in it. The Defenders isn't still going is it?

Because of the movie I'll assume there's about to be a new Dr. Strange solo title coming. Is he in anything right now? I read Season One, but I seriously can't think of any comic right now with him in it. The Defenders isn't still going is it?
I'm sure they'll get him his own title soon. Read the oath if you want a really good Dr strange book

Messi

He had a fairly large bit in Original Sin

New Avengers, he was also featured in the Annual.

Nudull

Banned

I don't think Stephen was involved in Fearless Defenders, but that book has been cancelled for a while now. He's still on New Avengers, but I definitely wouldn't rule out a new solo ongoing.

I think what happen with Hickman/Ribic's Ultimate Avengers is basically the whole line's problem in a nutshell.

You got a rebooted Ultimates, big creative team of John Hickman and Esad Ribic, promoting a strong creative vision and direction for the various members...and then a few months later they get picked up for bigger 616 books, leaving after like 5 issues or some shit. Replaced with Sam Whoever and some other competent but not exactly Ribic caliber artist, and then no one cares anymore. Ultimates went from Mark Millar and Brian Hitch to Michel Fiffe(god bless him) and some guy who isn't Michel Fiffe on art.

Another big thing was the whole idea about the Ultimate Universe was that it was a clean slate from all the decades of continuity from the 616. Well, the funny thing about continuity; it kinda builds up after several years! So now you got years of continuity in an irrelevant ass universe that outside Bendis(the ONE book that has been consistently popular since 2001), they don't put any of their big talent on. Why do that when you can just put them on their main books, the ones that people have a bigger chance of giving a damn about?

Its just a weird hanger-on from an bygone era. All the tactics they used to make the Ultimates popular in the early 2000s, outside Ult. Spider-Man, have been absorbed into the 616, leaving the Ultimates with nothing of any value.

Don't forget BKV on x-men. Ellis and immonen on FF. (Mike Carey's run was dope as well)

Letting jeph loeb take a literal shit on the ultimate U was a bad idea. Instead of refreshing the ultimate U they just turned everyone off.

They keep throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks. It got real stale fast , miles isn't as compelling as he can be.

It's just been a carrot on a stick to keep BENDIS at marvel these past few years nothing more nothing less.

fauxtrot

Banned
OK, so since we're talking about Dr. Strange, who would you guys like to see on his inevitable new solo book?

I think Mike Del Mundo would be great on art and John Arcudi would knock the story out of the park... but I don't think he has any kind of relationship with Marvel, so that's extremely unlikely.

If I get banned, please remember me. I should never have commented :(

What'd you do this time?

OK, so since we're talking about Dr. Strange, who would you guys like to see on his inevitable new solo book?

I think Mike Del Mundo would be great on art and John Arcudi would knock the story out of the park... but I don't think he has any kind of relationship with Marvel, so that's extremely unlikely.

BKV and Marcos Martin

Don't forget BKV on x-men. Ellis and immonen on FF. (Mike Carey's run was dope as well)

BKV's Ultimate X-Men was my favorite Marvel team book as it was happening, especially when Immonen came on board. It ultimately didn't amount to much of an overarching storyline, cuz it was really just a 4 issue fill-in before Bryan Singer came on board(ayy lmao) that got expanded to 20+ issues, but it honestly my favorite work from him pre-Saga/The Private Eye.

He's the only character in the Avengers NOW! promotional image without a book to star in. I think an ongoing is on the way.

He's the only character in the Avengers NOW! promotional image without a book to star in. I think an ongoing is on the way.
Some of those plans were scrapped though. Inhuman was supposed to get at least one spinoff book.

I can't think of any reason why DC would cancel Batman Beyond. This book is so schway

Parch

I can't think of the last Marvel comic I read that tried to be legitimately unsettling or scary.
They're doing a Romero zombie book called Empire of the Dead, but it's not marvel universe and not very good IMO.
So yeah, if you want horror you have to go elsewhere.

Nesotenso

Thoughts?

Ultimate Universe died when Loeb got his hands on it. It hasn't been the same since. And please no more alternate timeline Spider-men in the 616. Miguel should go back if he hasn't already.

fauxtrot

Banned
Speaking of Jeph Loeb... today during the Q&A section of the Marvel conference, Kevin Feige mentioned that he has no involvement with Marvel's TV output (including the upcoming Netflix series), and that Jeph is in charge of that. I find that to be a genuinely scary thought.

Speaking of Jeph Loeb... today during the Q&A section of the Marvel conference, Kevin Feige mentioned that he has no involvement with Marvel's TV output (including the upcoming Netflix series), and that Jeph is in charge of that. That's a genuinely scary thought.

Steve Wacker( former editor of spider-man line) is in charge of animation.

Ultimate Universe died when Loeb got his hands on it. It hasn't been the same since. And please no more alternate timeline Spider-men in the 616. Miguel should go back if he hasn't already.

That ain't happening, it seems like Peter David is setting that up for a long game with the pink hair girl subplot. Unless Miguel takes her to the future...

Fintan

I still have a weird affinity for the Ultimate Universe. I'm not up to date on it, but I do own most of it trade paperback going back over the years. It's not all great, but a lot of it is the first comics I really read. I imagine they'll end it soon?

I don't think Miles should go to 616, not really sure what they should do with him. I don't really like the idea of there being so many other pseudo Spider-Man characters in the one universe, considering there'll be 2099 and Silk already.

Agree with you guys about BKV run on Ultimate X-Men. Really good and looks even better in comparison to what followed. Kirkman's writing can seem so awkward and goofy at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom