• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

This is an awesome look at Cliff Chiang's design for the WW statue

ww_aow_chiang_IMG_5839crop.jpg

statue%20front%20small.jpg

statue%20back%20small.jpg

Cheska

DAMN! I get off work, and this thread moved so many pages already. It's not even a Wednesday! What did I miss?

My IST order shipped, and my Walt Simonson Thor omnibus came in today. It's such a thing of beauty, and it's so heavy I needed to have my co-worker help me to my car since I couldn't carry that by myself along with everything else haha.

Messi

Good job, Messi. I'm eyeing the Mera and Lois Bombshell statues, but those are still a ways off.

Yeah so am I. Especially Lois. That statue is incredible. I am a bit let down by the Zatanna one.

Now DC, PLEASE. Just make one of Batwoman based off her Bombshell cover. If not you are leaving money on the table.

DAMN! I get off work, and this thread moved so many pages already. It's not even a Wednesday! What did I miss?

My IST order shipped, and my Walt Simonson Thor omnibus came in today. It's such a thing of beauty, and it's so heavy I needed to have my co-worker help me to my car since I couldn't carry that by myself along with everything else haha.

Marvel had a press conference and they dropped bombs.

I just realized....did Marvel not announce some weird ass Summer 2015 event thing today? I mean I guess they announced a whole shit load of summer movie events, but wut aboot ze comics?

In other news I feel kinda bad that I haven't read any comics since I've gotten Shadows of Mordor on Thursday. I think all I'm buying tomorrow is Low as well. So many runs I wanna buy, so little money to do so. Batman, Brubakers Captain America, Invincible, hell Walking Dead for that matter. I wanna start reading Hickmans Avengers but I keep getting intimidated by the reading order. Should be simple enough if I use Marvel Unlimited though, but then I'll be 6 months behind. Oh man I wanna read Blacksad too! And Doom Patrol. And maybe catch up with Fables. Too much stuff.

Boogiepop

So here's a kind of random question: how are those Simpson and Futurama comics that seem to have been around forever despite seemingly nobody ever talking about them? Any good or complete garbage? Not something I'd plan on picking up anytime soon, but I've been watching through Futurama and remembered they existed, so I thought I may as well ask.

Cheska

Yeah so am I. Especially Lois. That statue is incredible. I am a bit let down by the Zatanna one.

Now DC, PLEASE. Just make one of Batwoman based off her Bombshell cover. If not you are leaving money on the table.

Marvel had a press conference and they dropped bombs.

YES! YES! Batwoman Bombshell would be an absolute no brainer.

I'm still laughing about Kipp going to a comic con and not spending any money
We need to have some sort of a scale of things from Kipp to Freeza/Me LOL

Canucked

Captain Marvel. Cinematic Chewie.

I didn't think she'd beat Widow to a solo film but I'll take it!
(If they flip the switch and it's a Mar-Vell movie I am going to cause a scene.)

Mera Bombshell is a May release, August for Lois. As for Batwoman, I'd buy that in a second. You have to figure that DC will get around to all of them eventually. I'd also like a proper statue of Earth 2 Hawkgirl at some point.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm still laughing about Kipp going to a comic con and not spending any money

Hahaha. The worst part is that I went with the full intention to splurge big time. I had $200 cash in my pocket that I sincerely meant to spend and I had my credit card on me as well so that I could spend a little more than that if I wanted to.
And then I showed up. And I got cold feet.

We need to have some sort of a scale of things from Kipp to Freeza/Me LOL

Kipp is truly the purest version of ComicGAF. Kipp is Uncorruptable. Kipp is life.

Lol. You guys are too much.

Didn't support a single creator

Truly the enemy of the comic book industry

Hahaha.
It's true though. I'm the reason they all went to bed hungry that night.

Also, I'm definitely gonna pick up Stray Bullets, but I have a dilemma. I want to get the TPB that was released today because it's only $10, but if I got that, I'm sure I'd regret not just going for the Uber Alles edition that has 1200 pages and is much better value overall. Are there any positives to the TPB over the Uber Alles edition? Besides the fact that the phone book sized Uber Alles edition probably wouldn't be too comfortable to read. I really don't feel like spending $35 on it right now and I want a reason to not do that.

Hahaha.
It's true though. I'm the reason they all went to bed hungry that night.

Also, I'm definitely gonna pick up Stray Bullets, but I have a dilemma. I want to get the TPB that was released today because it's only $10, but if I got that, I'm sure I'd regret not just going for the Uber Alles edition that has 1200 pages and is much better value overall. Are there any positives to the TPB over the Uber Alles edition? Besides the fact that the phone book sized Uber Alles edition probably wouldn't be too comfortable to read. I really don't feel like spending $35 on it right now and I want a reason to not do that.

Look at it this way, its making up for straight up dissing all those comic creators at the convention earlier.

Messi

My goodness Chris Hemsworth is glorious looking, Scarlet is pretty glorious looking too. That avengers sneak peak after AOS was pretty funny.

Cheska

Sooo Original Sin, what was the final call on it? Did most people who read the event end up enjoying it? I see the omnibus came out this week, but I didn't read any of the issues outside of the tie ins.

Also interested in Deadpool and Cable, only because I like both of those charatcers. Was Fabian Nicieza a good writer on it though? I know there are mixed thoughts on his New Warriors run.

Messi

Sooo Original Sin, what was the final call on it? Did most people who read the event end up enjoying it? I see the omnibus came out this week, but I didn't read any of the issues outside of the tie ins.

Also interested in Deadpool and Cable, only because I like both of those charatcers. Was Fabian Nicieza a good writer on it though? I know there are mixed thoughts on his New Warriors run.

Nah Cheska, you can skip this one.

It's been a while since I read through Deadpool and Cable but I remember it being really fun

I'm worse than Kipp. I've only been to 2 conventions in my life. With the amount of money they charged to get in, didn't leave much to give the creators. Plus my first convention experience was a really lousy one.

Like most Marvel events, it started off seeming like it would be pretty good. Then after four issues or so, it starts losing steam. Not great, I wouldn't buy the hardcover. If you can read it for free, do it. But hey, at least it isn't Age of Ultron.

MattyG

Banned
Like most Marvel events, it started off seeming like it would be pretty good. Then after four issues or so, it starts losing steam. Not great, I wouldn't buy the hardcover. If you can read it for free, do it. But hey, at least it isn't Age of Ultron.
Someone needs to explain to me what was so bad about Age of Ultron, because I've seen countless people in other threads say similar things.

Someone needs to explain to me what was so bad about Age of Ultron, because I've seen countless people in other threads say similar things.

Um... It's a ten-issue event where pretty much nothing happens. I mean, you've got a bunch of time-travel hijinx throughout the story that pretty much end up cancelling each other out by the end. Issue ten was really the only issue where anything of note even happened. It was the sound of Neil Gaiman cashing his check from Marvel for the rights to Angela.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Nothing happened, literally nothing happened until the final issue. You could have read a summary of the entire event up to the final issue and would miss nothing.

MattyG

Banned
Nothing happened, literally nothing happened until the final issue. You could have read a summary of the entire event up to the final issue and would miss nothing.

Um... It's a ten-issue event where pretty much nothing happens. I mean, you've got a bunch of time-travel hijinx throughout the story that pretty much end up cancelling each other out by the end. Issue ten was really the only issue where anything of note even happened. It was the sound of Neil Gaiman cashing his check from Marvel for the rights to Angela.
Damn, that's rough. I wonder how many people will buy it when the movie comes out and be very disappointed.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Like most major events, it was a whole lot of nothing.

Messi

Love it. I will probably pick up the entire series when its finished. This is inspiring me to do a WW piece but with more armor.

You might wanna be careful on waiting. Some of these things are bound to sell out. If I was to guess I'd say the Cliff Chiang one would be the most likely. If it's anything like the Batman black and white statues 70-80% sell out. If they are halfway popular. Hell I might have sold a few here today with that post lol.

Gketter, Tfaw.com are good people.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What are the essential Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel stories to check out before the movie hits?

The current run is pretty good, start there I suppose.

She went on a date with Spidey once. He ate all her food, had her fight off some baddies, pay for the meal she didn't eat and then took her for chilidogs.

I'm not sure there's any essential stories though. There's a bunch of good ones, but nothing like a must read.

fertygo

Its kinda sad Kamala Khan already had more memorable run than Carol..

She need big shakeup than space pilot that having boyfriend problem, boo fucking boo..

Owzers

Siege: Poor excuse for a Sentry book.

Original Sin: Poor excuse for a Fury book. The whole concept of "original sin" was relegated to the tie-ins and instead we got a shitty Fury " you don't know what i've done!" and what he did no one really cared about or thought was bad.
Oh no you saved the world by killing an alien, oh the horror.
These events are only creations an editorial and executive staff could love, i don't for a second believe Aaron thought Original Sin was a good story, i don't even think it was supposed to be a good story.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Its kinda sad Kamala Khan already had more memorable run than Carol..

She need big shakeup than space pilot that having boyfriend problem, boo fucking boo..

Kamala Khan's had a good run, but there's no real legendary stories there yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom