• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
has Wolverine died yet? and if so what happened / who did it?

Vibranium

Banned
I really enjoyed Rucka's run. #BringbackRucka

I absolutely agree with this, I am happy that Edmondson is using Rachel until the end of his run, but it would be fantastic to have Greg back on the book, us fans are always here with open arms.

Can't wait to see where Punisher goes from here. I'd like Frank to grow his beard back actually, I really think it fits him. If they're going to replace him ala Captain America or Thor though, Cole-Alves is my first pick, not Officer Stone.

With the movies being announced,

does this mean new BP & Doctor Strange floppies?

AU7Amsc.gif

IrishNinja

Spoilered gyst of it pretty please? :)

so it turns out that doc cornelius (of the original weapon x program) somehow didn't die/had a DOOMbot or whatever and has been working on bonding metal for super soldiers since, and when logan showed up he wanted his healing factor which was of course gone. stuff happens, logan claws open the adamatium tank & gets it all over hisself thereby saving these would-be "weapons", chases down doc to a helipad & kills him (at least until that well runs dry again) before said adamantium finally hardens & makes a tragic logan statue which will prolly make people at the Jean school pretty awkward until someone pays attention and hears a heartbeat in it inside of six months because fuck i am a grown-ass man why did i read this i knew it'd be shit

hope that helps

Vibranium

Banned
With the movies being announced,

does this mean new BP & Doctor Strange floppies?

AU7Amsc.gif

No doubt. I am super excited for a Doctor Strange book. Maybe they should put Rudy on a Strange solo instead of Winter Soldier (Bucky fans are very mixed about the art so far, a lot are saying they would prefer something like Lark or Epting).

Bii

so it turns out that doc cornelius (of the original weapon x program) somehow didn't die/had a DOOMbot or whatever and has been working on bonding metal for super soldiers since, and when logan showed up he wanted his healing factor which was of course gone. stuff happens, logan claws open the adamatium tank & gets it all over hisself thereby saving these would-be "weapons", chases down doc to a helipad & kills him (at least until that well runs dry again) before said adamantium finally hardens & makes a tragic logan statue which will prolly make people at the Jean school pretty awkward until someone pays attention and hears a heartbeat in it inside of six months because fuck i am a grown-ass man why did i read this i knew it'd be shit

hope that helps

Sounds ridiculous. I might go out and pick up those issues. XD

-

One possible candidate for my book of the month.

Daredevil #9

Waid's Daredevil, more recently since after the renumbering, has been in this weird funk. The books haven't been bad but they haven't been great either. With #9, I think it's really turning itself around. Of course, anything touching on Matt Murdocks' past always tug on my emotions. He's lost so many people close to him yet he keeps fighting the good fight. Illustrated in a single panel, Daredevil's story of love and lost is something most of us can relate to (well, not so much having your lover being stabbed/killed with her own sai).

It doesn't stop there. It's very telling when you can learn so much about a group of kids and Daredevil on one page (see vertical pic below). The composition shows us how the Purple kids have been neglected and abused, and how their experiences relate to those of Daredevil. You don't see these kids as villians; instead, they are victims of their father's indisposed ambition.

How Waid plans to have Daredevil set these children right is something I look forward to.

Good. I never liked his run. Edmunson's piss-take turned Punisher into chatty Cathy.

Rucka needs to return. His wraith like Punisher was the best.

Been hearing that current X-force might end at issue 15. First X-factor and now this... but unfortunately on a re-read of X-factor you can see the second arc with Georgia did a LOT of damage to the great momentum/pacing/story from the first arc. Unfortunately, even though the issues after the arc end are top notch the book never recovered from it.

Mindwipe

So here's a kind of random question: how are those Simpson and Futurama comics that seem to have been around forever despite seemingly nobody ever talking about them? Any good or complete garbage? Not something I'd plan on picking up anytime soon, but I've been watching through Futurama and remembered they existed, so I thought I may as well ask.

They're variable.

In particular, some of the early Bongo Simpsons stuff really is good though. The first arc of Radioactive Man comics is a homage to each decade of comicdom from the Golden Age to the extreme 90s and is pretty funny too. It's collected in http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1781167524/

hope that helps

How did he originally loose his healing factor?

Messi

Hahaha Forbidden Planet in Dublin wants €74.99 ($97) for the Original Sin HC. What!

Cable and Deadpool is €125.99 ($160)

Dem bargains

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hahaha Forbidden Planet in Dublin wants €74.99 ($97) for the Original Sin HC. What!

Dem bargains

Try Amazon Germany. I got the Original Sin OHC for 29€
Cable & Deadpool is 88€

I can help you if you have problems with placing the order on the german website.

fertygo

Wow Batman eternal getting awesome this week, we finally know
what triggered Arkham collapse and more thing to speculate to what currently happening to Alfred at Endgame

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
how is the Multiversity? is there anything I need to know beforehand or can I dive right in?

It's great. The only thing you really need to know is that the Multiverse is being threatened by evil and each issue, aside from the bookends and the guide issue, is a one-shot in that specific universe.

But, it totally is more exciting if you've read Final Crisis and brushed up on who Nix Uotan is/was, how stuff like the Ultima Thule and the Orrery function, etc. I imagine these things will be explained in the guidebook, but it's always great to go in and completely understand all the elements that Morrison is using/expounding upon/changing.

And annotations from David Uzumeri are always helpful.

Messi

Try Amazon Germany. I got the Original Sin OHC for 29€
Cable & Deadpool is 88€

I can help you if you have problems with placing the order on the german website.

Oh, I am not looking to buy them. I just think the prices they charge are hysterical.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wow Batman eternal getting awesome this week, we finally know
what triggered Arkham collapse and more thing to speculate to what currently happening to Alfred at Endgame

I doubt the Alfie stuff will play into Endgame much other than he starts the arc a bit worse for wear. It seems weird to base a pivotal Batman arc around Eternal when Eternal has 52 issues to tell its story in.

Also, am I the only person who really hates how the Batbooks are now set post-Eternal already? Kinda takes a lot of the "suspense" (like there ever was any - we're not even caught up to the preview yet still) out of the series.

Messi

I doubt the Alfie stuff will play into Endgame much other than he starts the arc a bit worse for wear. It seems weird to base a pivotal Batman arc around Eternal when Eternal has 52 issues to tell its story in.

Also, am I the only person who really hates how the Batbooks are now set post-Eternal already? Kinda takes a lot of the "suspense" (like there ever was any - we're not even caught up to the preview yet still) out of the series

Yeah that bothers me a bit. Like at some point does Babs go all hipster and move out or?

We also now have a Catwoman who is making moves to take over Gotham in her solo book and doing the same in Eternal. So we know that she won't succeed for at least another 20 ish issues.

Fintan

Dem bargains
Yowza! Do they actually expect to sell them? I've only ever bought a couple of trades in the comic shops in Town. Everything's so expensive!

Tom_Cody

I've been reading through Jim Starlin's Marvel stuff over the last couple months and I was very happy to discover last night that 'The Death of Captain Marvel' had been posted to Marvels digital shop two weeks ago.

What a great book. Strong recommendation.

Good job, Messi. I'm eyeing the Mera and Lois Bombshell statues, but those are still a ways off.

They had a vote for the mera design, and my least favorite of the 3 is the one that won :| (though they said that the voting was so close they'd make the 2nd one once the first one was done)

Might still get it anyway

Also, am I the only person who really hates how the Batbooks are now set post-Eternal already? Kinda takes a lot of the "suspense" (like there ever was any - we're not even caught up to the preview yet still) out of the series.
Not really. This is the same as Avengers jumping into the future and spoiling the development and outcome of Axis and other mini-events in between. As if there was a doubt that Batman would be dying in Eternal just like we know for example the Shield status quo of many characters many months before it's even occured in their respective books (Captain Marvel, Invisible Woman etc etc).

Boogiepop

Sooo Original Sin, what was the final call on it? Did most people who read the event end up enjoying it? I see the omnibus came out this week, but I didn't read any of the issues outside of the tie ins.

Also interested in Deadpool and Cable, only because I like both of those charatcers. Was Fabian Nicieza a good writer on it though? I know there are mixed thoughts on his New Warriors run.
A little late but I'd definitely recommend Cable and Deadpool (kind of funny to see them switch the title since their mindshare has changed so much). It's been a good while since I read it, but I remember it being a great run.

Drayco21

A little late but I'd definitely recommend Cable and Deadpool (kind of funny to see them switch the title since their mindshare has changed so much). It's been a good while since I read it, but I remember it being a great run.

Having recently reread it, I second this. Cable and Deadpool was a fun buddy cop style adventure, with one of the best written versions of Deadpool, from before Way shat up the character.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Not really. This is the same as Avengers jumping into the future and spoiling the development and outcome of Axis and other mini-events in between. As if there was a doubt that Batman would be dying in Eternal just like we know for example the Shield status quo of many characters many months before it's even occured in their respective books (Captain Marvel, Invisible Woman etc etc).

I doubt the sheild stuff will be in Captain Marvel, and FF is cancelled so Avengers is the only place for some Reed and Sue goodness.

IIRC, part of the reason for the time jump was to get out of the way of the other titles, time for stuff like Cap and Thor and whatever Remender is going to do (that he won't then undo) to have happened in the shared universe. Pretty different from having a weekly 'spine series' with all the other books set afterwards where it appears everything turned out OK. The Avengers situation is the opposite - everything got even more fucked, what happened??

I doubt the sheild stuff will be in Captain Marvel, and FF is cancelled so Avengers is the only place for some Reed and Sue goodness.

IIRC, part of the reason for the time jump was to get out of the way of the other titles, time for stuff like Cap and Thor and whatever Remender is going to do (that he won't then undo) to have happened in the shared universe. Pretty different from having a weekly 'spine series' with all the other books set afterwards where it appears everything turned out OK. The Avengers situation is the opposite - everything got even more fucked, what happened??
Yeah I see what you're saying here. But think of it this way. Would you really want to pay more money for something that's happening in or during a spine/event book? Not only does it increase the re-readability of the series a few months/years later but we also get a new direction without wasting our time or money on something that would be dancing around the "raindrops of continuity" so to speak. Lets face it.. we all know everything is going to turn out okay or get fucked to setup an incoming event so as long as the journey is entertaining I say bring the flash-forwards on!

Edit:
http://www.newsarama.com/22571-movies-comics-what-is-dan-slott-teasing-spider-man-fans-with-now.html

This supposed thing is yet to happen: https://twitter.com/DanSlott

You just don't ball hard enough to be the 10 on the scale.
On the scale of Kipp to Cheska/Freeza, you're probably a Messi in Florida.

Zombine balls pretty hard. I remember when he ordered the Sandman omnis just cause. Or how he spent like $300 in that short period at NYCC.

Sooo Original Sin, what was the final call on it? Did most people who read the event end up enjoying it? I see the omnibus came out this week, but I didn't read any of the issues outside of the tie ins.

The tie ins aren't really even remotely connected to any story action, but if you liked Morrison's Marvel Boy or any of Aaron's Marvel stuff, the main series a must-read.

Probably don't need the omnibus tho.

But Original Sins has an incredible Ryan North Young Avengers story running through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom