• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Fucking lol is there really a scene in Gotham where Montoya goes
"does he know you *stares at Barbara's crotch* ...like I know you?"

Aw yea the last big IST order is made. Nothing else planned until maybe November. Feels good to work off the IST wishlist and to cap it off with the blacksad volume

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm halfway through Ronin now. It's very much the same Frank Miller who wrote Martha Washington and Dark Knight Returns. Which is to say I'm loving it.

Also, the TPB is actually really good quality. I was a little frustrated when I ordered it literally a week before the deluxe edition was announced for about the same price as the deluxe edition would end up being, but now that I'm reading it, I don't mind at all.
It has the matte paper that DC/Vertigo use sometimes, but unlike the other books I've read that have that paper, in Ronin, the ink is very detailed and sharp and the colors are incredibly rich.
I'm very pleased with it.

But yeah, to all of you who haven't read it yet and enjoy Frank Miller's older stuff, I'd highly recommend Ronin.

Sometimes. There's no real way to predict it.

Yeah. I've found the best way to handle it is to just not care when your IST order arrives since you'll hypothetically already have way too much stuff on your shelf to read and won't get around to reading the stuff in your order for a while anyways. And then when your order does get shipped, you go "Oh, that's nice!"

It's working out pretty well for me at least.

Alright, let's get this out of the way:

Best Flash comics?

My favorite is John's original run
Waid's run is my second favorite

To celebrate the series premiere of the Flash, Comixology are running, pun intended, a week-long sale on everything Flash.

I'd avoid Rebirth and Johns' 2010 run, in favour of the New 52 series and a selection of issues from the original 1987 series. Johns' original Flash run is highly regarded, as is Mark Waid's. I'd definitely recommend checking both out if you're interested in quality Flash stories. Their issues are outlined as follows:

Johns wrote:
Flash #164-225

Waid wrote:
Flash #0 (not part of the sale), 62-129, 142-159, 162, 231-236 (not part of the sale)

Kipp

I haven't read any Flash comics...
I really wish Waid's run was collected. I'd like to read that.

Are you prepared my PS3 Comic Bros?

26wgnj6.jpg

Kipp

Embrace Comixology super sales! They're the best

I still haven't embraced digital. Maybe someday, but something about digital comics just isn't the same.
Which is weird, since I have no problem with ebooks.

Kipp

Would anyone like a Halloween avatar? I kind of want to draw a little something fun tonight.

Is Comixology a pretty good service? Like Steam for comics?

Pretty much. Everything new is released with HD formats which look amazing on retina display resolutions. They run sales ALL the time that take comics down to 99 cents per issue which is cheaper then trades. Also they have by far the best reader out of all the companies that sell digital comics (avoid Dark Horse comic's digital comics like the plague). CMX is the only company that seems to be able to implement smart panel reading correctly.

So the sales structure and discounts go like this:
- Marvel 1 day sale on Monday
- Tuesday DC usually kicks off a 7 day mega sale for something. Like right now there's almost 300 comics for sale at 99 cents each (the DC sales hit my wallet the most)
- Friday Marvel does another 1 day sale usually
- Weekend Image, and other Indies throw in their sales. They also have larger ones that randomly show up (i.e. the Walking dead sale that has all 120+ comics on sale at 99 cents each)

On Weds they reduce new comic prices as the following:
- Image and indies - $1 off cover price 1 month after release
- DC Comics $1 off cover price 2 months after release
- Marvel - horrible and will reduce to 1.99 like 6-8 months later? Usually when the trades go out

I buy comics only on the recently reduced section, use Marvel Unlimited to read Marvel comics 6 months later, the rest are on a 1-2 month delay. This saves me money (which is consumed by all the good sales). Also if you are in a state that amazon charges sales tax, if you use Paypal you get no tax charge.

The only knock is Dark Horse comics is not with Comixology but thats the only knock. Even this year they got Viz manga to join.

Oh great thanks. I am new to comics and I already notice the books taking up a ton of room.

That was the decider for me. I simply don't have room to store long boxes of comics, likewise, I only have so many book cases, etc. Typically I buy everything digital now, then trades of what I absolutely love. It's a good feeling having immediate access to my entire comic library and saving money on Comixology's killer sales. On that note, DC also thankfully discount their books two months after release now.

That was the decider for me. I simply don't have room to store long boxes of comics, likewise, I only have so many book cases, etc. Typically I buy everything digital now, then trades of what I absolutely love. It's a good feeling having immediate access to my entire comic library and saving money on Comixology's killer sales. On that note, DC also thankfully discount their books two months after release now.

DC used to be one month :( That extra month hurts

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
First EchoShifting returns, then LiQuid!

Now if only you could break away from DOTA2 so easily

If only. We probably have Dota to blame for this lapse in the first place. It's less expensive, unless we count the cost of my soul.

Actually, probably Marvel Now too. We will blame Dota and Marvel Now in equal parts.

Pretty much. Everything new is released with HD formats which look amazing on retina display resolutions. They run sales ALL the time that take comics down to 99 cents per issue which is cheaper then trades. Also they have by far the best reader out of all the companies that sell digital comics (avoid Dark Horse comic's digital comics like the plague). CMX is the only company that seems to be able to implement smart panel reading correctly.

- Tuesday DC usually kicks off a 7 day mega sale for something. Like right now there's almost 300 comics for sale at 99 cents each (the DC sales hit my wallet the most)
- Weekend Image, and other Indies throw in their sales. They also have larger ones that randomly show up (i.e. the Walking dead sale that has all 120+ comics on sale at 99 cents each)

- Marvel - horrible and will reduce to 1.99 like 6-8 months later? Usually when the trades go out

I buy comics only on the recently reduced section, use Marvel Unlimited to read Marvel comics 6 months later, the rest are on a 1-2 month delay. This saves me money (which is consumed by all the good sales). Also if you are in a state that amazon charges sales tax, if you use Paypal you get no tax charge.

The only knock is Dark Horse comics is not with Comixology but thats the only knock. Even this year they got Viz manga to join.

Don't forget, Comixology have also just made many comics available DRM free too. Not from the big two, DC and Marvel, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Sothpaw

Thanks for the very useful info. I will set up an account this evening.

Whelp I am almost an exclusive PC/Steam gamer. I feel you on having everything digital and always at your fingertips.

DC used to be one month :( That extra month hurts

I know right? Because then you're two issues behind discussion every month. :( I was happy to wait a month to grab my books for $1.99, but now I buy many on day one (though probably just as many after the discount) to avoid spoilers, etc.

Sothpaw

Sothpaw, what books are you interested in reading? Or do you read currently?

Well I started off by getting a Marvel Unlimited sub and reading some of the Silver Age Marvel stuff, just for history sake, and I feel like all of that stuff was written for children. Every sentence ends in an! Even basic statements!

Since then I have read a bunch of different stuff. I bought the first 6 issues of the new Amazing Spider Man and it is really not my style. A bit too light for me. Also read Learning to Crawl and didn't enjoy.

Then I purchased the first 10 issues of the current Magneto series which I really enjoy. I also purchased the first 10 issues of the Punisher which I also really enjoy. I guess I tend to enjoy darker, more "mature" stories? So with this in mind I purchased Men of Wrath last week, enjoyed it. I hear Southern Bastards is quite good and it sounds like it would be something I would enjoy.

Purchased the entire Ennis run of Punisher MAX in trade because I hear it is top tier and I really enjoy the character.

Here is a jumbled mess of a list of some of the other stuff I have read and my thoughts (sorry, long day at work; tired)

Kree/Skrull War: Kid story.

Korvac: Meh.

Gewn Stacy Spider Man Arc: OK

Avengers/Defenders War: boring

Secret War and Secret War II: terrible beyond words.

Iron Man Demon in a Bottle: not bad.

Thanks Quest, Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War, Infinity Crusade and Infinity Abyss: Meh, although I really like Thanos for whatever reason.

Avengers Disassembled: Meh.

Original Sin: Dr. Strange calls Nick Fury a mass murderer for killing all of those demons...wtf?

Grimm Fairy Tales vs Wonderland: Bought it because someone on YT said Zenescope is more than just T&A. Actually kinda liked it.

I purchased a bunch New 52 trades that I will get to soon. So far Justice League, Batman and Aquaman, all trades for each series.

OK sorry for the jumbled mess of a post. Baby is calling me to read to him and I have to run.

TLDR: I seem to like "mature" books like Punisher and Magneto (not sure if those are even considered mature but they are the most "mature" books I have read in my very first weeks of this great hobby).

Too expensive :( Going to wait until I get a 20% coupon from Barnes and Noble and order from there.

You should think about paying that $7 extra at IST just to ensure you get your omnibus in good condition. Every hardcover I have ordered from B&N has has some damage during shipping. (And if you buy it during the 2% extra period, it is only a $4 difference).

Do you already own The Incal?

Kipp

You should think about paying that $7 extra at IST just to ensure you get your omnibus in good condition. Every hardcover I have ordered from B&N has has some damage during shipping.

Do you already own The Incal?

True story. I've only ever gotten one hardcover from B&N and one of the corners was pretty wrecked.

True story. I've only ever gotten one hardcover from B&N and one of the corners was pretty wrecked.

I only ever order graphic novels from IST anymore unless they don't have it.

EDIT: oh my. I put in an IST order this afternoon and just now got my shipping notification. That was speedy!

... I guess I tend to enjoy darker, more "mature" stories? So with this in mind I purchased Men of Wrath last week, enjoyed it. I hear Southern Bastards is quite good and it sounds like it would be something I would enjoy.

The only series of the Big Two I have read was the new Ms. Marvel, which is damn damn good, imo. If you like mature Fantasy/SciFi mash ups, look at SaGa. I read the first 3 volumes since they were on sale a month ago (when I started reading comics myself, other than reading Watchmen in high school), and god damn. Those feels Q.Q

I can stand on one leg for a real long time.
My favorite color is blue-green.
I want to be a doctor or a dancer when I am grown up.
I am all dirty on the inside because I did bad things with....
LYING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom