• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Listening to The Pogues and just remembered the Pogues reference in Preacher. I so can't wait to reread Preacher.

My X-Statix Omni came in today! First Omni I have bought....wow it's REALLY big. Are they all this huge? Feeling pretty sick so I haven't started reading it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Smash has taken up a lot of time since Friday so I haven't even finished reading my books from last week. Really enjoyed the new Guardians 3000 though. And God Hates Astronauts was pretty funny (my LCS ran out of Issue 1 within a few hours of it opening, so I wasn't able to get that until last Weds, read em both back to back.) My friend got the new Thor and hasn't gotten around to giving me his digital code so I dunno about that yet, he said he fell asleep reading it though so I'm not too enthused. Still have Winter Solider to read. Oh, and Edge of Spider-Verse was pretty bleh. First one I wasn't really feeling. Also still have Low issue 3 from a couple weeks back to read, and trade paper backs of Saga 2 and 3, and the first TPB of Black Science.

I've only read the first 3 trades of Uncanny Avengers (aka what was up on Marvel Unlimited), think it's fine for me to jump into Axis or should I just wait until I'm all caught up with Uncanny Avengers?

Kipp

My X-Statix Omni came in today! First Omni I have bought....wow it's REALLY big. Are they all this huge? Feeling pretty sick so I haven't started reading it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Nice!
X-Statix is definitely one of the bigger omnibuses. Ironically, it's the smallest omnibus I own though...
But as far as Marvel omnibuses go, that's one of the biggest ones for sure.
Let us know how you like it when you get to reading it! Feel better soon!

Kipp

Yo Kipp, what's that avatar of yours?

Cassidy from Preacher drawn by Steve Dillon!

I just realized how long I've had that avatar, since I made it my avatar when I was first reading Preacher and I was just posting about how I'm excited to reread Preacher.

So I finally got settled from regular work schedule and doing Austin Wizard World. I kinda wanted to let you guys know how things went.

I guess first thing of note is that the con went from Th-Sa. This is unusual but apparently they couldn't book the venue for Sunday. Combined with the Austin City Limits festival and the Longhorn game, it made for a quieter than usual convention.

For the con, I had some comics I've done, prints and original pieces of artwork. To my surprise, people were actually most interested in getting commissions done which is cool. Here are a few of the ones I did.

tumblr_nczhhmMcBG1rroituo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nczh8zAeHc1rroituo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nczh41l0pE1rroituo1_500.jpg

I think that I spent about 90% of my time working on commissions. I'm actually still finishing up a few from the con. Being a local artist helps.

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to talk to many artists. Almost all my time was spent hustlin. I did go up to Phil Noto and tell him how beautiful I think his work is. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to talk to Kevin McGuire or Kevin Wada.

Despite selling my stuff at what I think were really good prices, people were hesitant to buy something even if they really really liked it. I blame this mostly on the high entry price. When you pay $60 just to get in, you have to be super picky. It's my job to make something a person likes enough to buy, but I think such a high entry price makes for a pretty tough barrier for a sale.

The other thing was that I don't think Wizard Worlds are all that focused on artists or comic book themselves. They seem to serve a wider public who is into any number of things, which is cool, but not all that beneficial for an artist tabling.

I did go to an after party drink n draw challenge and ended up placing which was cool. Marvel did portfolio reviews which were a complete surprise since no one knew they were gonna happen. I went digital over a year and half so I had almost nothing that showcased my current level of skill. Although I didn't have my new stuff, there reviewer was pretty favorable to me and said that if I continue on the way I am going, people will really take notice in a few years. Which is nice but they probably say that to everyone going in.

Anyway, next time I do a con will be a smaller, art/comic focused one. Also, I learned a few things like always get money for commissions up front because some people won't show up for them later.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Lurked forever, first post in one of these. Hawkguy is a great read and I want to get it all, but I don't want to double dip on any issues. I bought the first hardcover - are there any collections or volumes I should buy to get back to currency, or do I just need to buy the individuals at this point?

For someone who likes a lot of stuff to come out of comics, I have bought a piss-poor amount of them (and know even less about actually finding them T_T). Prefer physical to digital by a long shot.

good stuff, Ed! Wizard World Austin looked pretty cool, especially for a Wizard World show
Would anyone like a Halloween avatar? I kind of want to draw a little something fun tonight.
yo bro could you draw Ghost Rider

Listening to The Pogues and just remembered the Pogues reference in Preacher. I so can't wait to reread Preacher.

I think Preacher might be the next old series I dive into. I'm pretty sure i'd love it

Lurked forever, first post in one of these. Hawkguy is a great read and I want to get it all, but I don't want to double dip on any issues. I bought the first hardcover - are there any collections or volumes I should buy to get back to currency, or do I just need to buy the individuals at this point?

For someone who likes a lot of stuff to come out of comics, I have bought a piss-poor amount of them (and know even less about actually finding them T_T). Prefer physical to digital by a long shot.

The next paperback, LA Woman, comes out this Wednesday at comic shops (two weeks later for everywhere else) so if you don't mind going paperback you can buy that. There's probably gonna be another hardcover next year collecting the rest of the series. The series had a lot of delays so that's why it's been a long time since the last two trades and the hardcover.

Cassidy from Preacher drawn by Steve Dillon!

I just realized how long I've had that avatar, since I made it my avatar when I was first reading Preacher and I was just posting about how I'm excited to reread Preacher.

I couldn't quite place it when I first saw it. Very cool!

The next paperback, LA Woman, comes out this Wednesday at comic shops (two weeks later for everywhere else) so if you don't mind going paperback you can buy that. There's probably gonna be another hardcover next year collecting the rest of the series. The series had a lot of delays so that's why it's been a long time since the last two trades and the hardcover.

Thanks - will see how I feel about playing the waiting game after tomorrow.

Cheska

Hawkeye actually has an omnibus coming out next year!! :)

Kipp

You need to read Dangerous Habits, my friend

I really do. I think the main thing stopping me is I feel like I'd like to read the stuff that came before it too and I haven't gotten around to that yet.

So I finally got settled from regular work schedule and doing Austin Wizard World. I kinda wanted to let you guys know how things went.

Those commissions are fantastic! I love seeing your stuff.

I think Preacher might be the next old series I dive into. I'm pretty sure i'd love it

I forget if you've said you've read any of the Ennis/Dillon Punisher stuff, but if you have, it's a really similar tone.
Also, some of the stuff in the series was a little too over-the-top for my taste (not really offensive to me, but I just didn't care for it), but it's a fantastic series. Really great character/relationship building. And of course a crazy and entertaining plot. It's definitely one of my favorite long-running series.

yo bro could you draw Ghost Rider

If you have the time, I'd love something TMNT-comicsGAF related.

I'd love a new cyclops avatar with a hint of Halloween, if you are feeling audacious.

C'mon guys! You would all reply just about when I'm going to start getting ready for bed! Haha. And yes, I go to bed at 8:30pm like an elderly person.
But anyways, I'll very likely get to these tomorrow, so don't worry.

It's even better than you remember. It's the only comic I can quote word for word, years later. Even the Angels doing coke.

"FnorrrrrrfuckingYES!!!"

Even at the airport the other day I thought to myself "Walkway not fucking STANDWAY, GRANNY!!!"

Kipp

It's even better than you remember. It's the only comic I can quote word for word, years later. Even the Angels doing coke.

"FnorrrrrrfuckingYES!!!"

Even at the airport the other day I thought to myself "Walkway not fucking STANDWAY, GRANNY!!!"

Hahaha. Yesss. So good.
I'm so glad you love it too. Now I'm even more excited for it.

And I know I could order the volumes that are already available and then buy the sixth TPB when it comes out at the end of the month, but where's the fun in that? Gotta buy them all in one big order for optimum effect.

Owzers

IMG_0259_zps8d4d3751.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hmmmm. That was the best idea i had. All day. Should be three panels with the third being the optic blast "jean!!!!" but oh well. Use your imagination that it was better.

I also drew that with my finger, on an ipad. WITH MY FINGER!

So I wanna read Steranko's Fury comics. Is this collection good enough? Like, it's not some kinda recoloring or anything?

I forget if you've said you've read any of the Ennis/Dillon Punisher stuff, but if you have, it's a really similar tone.
Also, some of the stuff in the series was a little too over-the-top for my taste (not really offensive to me, but I just didn't care for it), but it's a fantastic series. Really great character/relationship building. And of course a crazy and entertaining plot. It's definitely one of my favorite long-running series.

I've only read Welcome Back, Frank but it's one of my favs. I'll give it a go soon

If you like Hawkeye, check out Daredevil by Mark Waid and Superior Foes of Spider-Man!

Always meant to get started on some Murdock stuff, just never did. Think I'll try to find DD Yellow along with SM: Blue, then grab Waid's DD.

Went and looked up the premise of Superior Foes, looks intriguing. Thanks for the recs!

Hawkeye actually has an omnibus coming out next year!! :)

Ooooooo...that's another good option. Just depends if I want to wait, maybe I'll read the above in the meantime.

Owzers

you draw one picture of cyclops trick or treating as jean grey and the thread completely dies....well, can't say i didn't see it coming.

OMGOMG. I made a mistake! I am writing a research paper and I took a short break to read Batman #35, but I'm done. I can't. That ending was completely unexpected! A word of warning to everyone waiting to read it, be careful of spoilers.

That aside, here's a quick impression of Batgirl - I'll come back and post more later. The new creative team smashed it out of the park. I absolutely love the new direction. Batgirl hasn't been this fun since Miller's run. It just works.

Klarion is next, but I won't have time to read it just yet.

Messi

OMGOMG. I made a mistake! I am writing a research paper and I took a short break to read Batman #35, but I'm done. I can't. That ending was completely unexpected! A word of warning to everyone waiting to read it, be careful of spoilers.

That aside, here's a quick impression of Batgirl - I'll come back and post more later. The new creative team smashed it out of the park. I absolutely love the new direction. Batgirl hasn't been this fun since Miller's run. It just works.

Klarion is next, but I won't have time to read it just yet.

Dat Korupt hype train

peoples gotta sleep sometime yo

I never sleep. But I have to wait for you guys to post so I don't double post. It's my curse.

That is super cool DC has agreed to drop Batman back down to 3.99. Hopefully this shows them it is kind of a bid deal raising books that high,, unlike marvel who doesn't seem to give any shits and any reason or event instantly seems to go up to $5.

I missed Flash last night, I was watching Gotham ... Gotham has been decent, a little cheesy at times,, like yeah duh,, "I can see in the dark". ("Cat")
Recording Flash tonight so ill at least check out the pilot

DeathyBoy

Banned
Worlds End was utter boss.

It's a great start to the event. Everyone gets something to do, big focus, some good character beats and an intriguing connection to Future's End.

Worlds End was utter boss.

It's a great start to the event. Everyone gets something to do, big focus, some good character beats and an intriguing connection to Future's End.

I was just about to ask who's planning on picking this up.
I'll get #1 forsure,, but I almost don't want to like it haha.... It'd be my 2nd weekly book.
Sounds promising though,, looks really good too.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'll get #1 forsure,, but I almost don't want to like it haha.... It'd be my 2nd weekly book.

I decided to restructure my comic-buying. Now I only buy this, Future's End and Justice League weekly. Rest is just Comixology sales. Or random trade pick-ups/older comics. That's the only way I can justify it.

But it is really, really good. I like Taylor's stuff, but the new guy does a brilliant job of pointing out the legacy aspect and addressing certain plot niggles.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I decided to restructure my comic-buying. Now I only buy this, Future's End and Justice League weekly. Rest is just Comixology sales. Or random trade pick-ups/older comics. That's the only way I can justify it.

But it is really, really good. I like Taylor's stuff, but the new guy does a brilliant job of pointing out the legacy aspect and addressing certain plot niggles.

Or you could just drop the weeklies and get 8-12 other books? Hurts my soul to see you like this man :(

Justice League Weekly??

Gotta say, I'm surprised Korupt isn't in here geeking out over Batman.

Yeah I was wondering if he did double dip,, its super tempting but I think it'll be even better sitting down with the physical copy,, and a beer,, and that fresh ass new DC comic book smell. (I cant be the only one who loves that smell) haha

DeathyBoy

Banned
Justice League Weekly??

HAH. Meant to type Earth 2.

That said, it feels more like a JL comic than JL does. JL's snag is as good as it is, I don't feel like any of them are friends as such. Because we skipped five years of their story. Earth 2 benefits from seeing the characters grow organically over time.

All in for good writers on a weekly Power Girl. Oh and the rest of the cast.

Messi

My store sold out of Klarion.

This depresses me

Please.

Why...

Don't reward her.

__

Also got the final copy of Gotham Academy. Wanted a physical copy for my collection. Someone had hidden it lol.

Got a Gus Fring Pop
missing half his face :D

tim1138

JLU finally hit some of those fun adventure book beats I've been waiting for since the first issue. Miyahbin's origin and powers were a cool riff on
Shazam
and GrandHarrier will be thrilled with
Mon-El
showing up on the last page. I hope Timothy Green is the new regular artist, stylistically he feels like a good fit for the book.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is totally bad-ass. I love it. Your Hellboy is awesome too!

I always think of those black and white/ blank cover as easy money for the companys. Lesser work to do since they dont need a colorist/ drawings at all and they are expensiver than ordinary Comics...

DeathyBoy

Banned
JLU finally hit some of those fun adventure book beats I've been waiting for since the first issue. Miyahbin's origin and powers were a cool riff on
Shazam
and GH will be thrilled with
Mon-El
showing up on the last page. I hope Timothy Green is the new regular artist, stylistically he feels like a good fit for the book.

post-37726-0-68203100-1409245487.gif

Batman and JLU being ordered.

Batman 35 spoilers in tags.

I couldn't stay up til 3 am but I just did read it and it was awesome but my mind already thought about the last page and came to suspect it so its impact was not as big.
It is the 75th anniversary of both characters.
I didn't read the backup, wait for my print copy for that.

Batman 35 spoilers in tags.

I couldn't stay up til 3 am but I just did read it and it was awesome but my mind already thought about the last page and came to suspect it so its impact was not as big.
It is the 75th anniversary of both characters.
I didn't read the backup, wait for my print copy for that.

I thought the panel where
Alfred and Bruce made jokes with one another was foreshadowing the Joker's return.
The last page was unexpected for me though, because I didn't think
he'd return so soon, or at least not in this story.

I know Snyder
teased a follow-up to DotF at C2E2 2014, with a Joker who just wants to bury Batman.
Knowing Endgame is going to be that story is pure hype.

How many issues is Endgame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom