• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendo

I love Sci fi comics and you all posting this incal stuff looks amazing. What hardcovers are available on ist I should pick up?

Wonder Woman Hiketeia is great. The setting, Diana's conflict, the art, Batman being Batman; everything is awesome.

So far I have read Queen and Country 1/2, Gotham Central and Hiketeia by Rucka and have liked all of them. What other works of his should I read next?
His Wonder Woman run. Also read checkmate. A very great and under rated DC spy/espionage series.

Ok, Batgirl. I can appreciate the change. It's not the greatest book ever but the book has charm. I didn't like the Simone run overall (it had some shining moments), so a change was needed. I like the "sassy" art.

Futures End was fucked up. That 35 years in the Future Batman is just messed up.

Justice League United was AWESOME! Finally, just a fun issue like Lemire promised. I'm excited for this arc.

Today at the shop, I dropped Flash, Green Arrow, and Red Lanterns. I'm gonna pick GAs next issue and it has to win me over.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Did anyone besides me and ViewtifulJC read Annihilator?

I know filthy slug and fyre did, they're all about that Max Nomax Vada oorga Arch Annilator first act Frazier Irving life

Fuck, there was so much to process in that issue. This is the Morrison I love, man. Those two pages with the vertical panels of Max and then Ray with the gun are perfection.

Is there any word on how many issues the series is supposed to be?

Nudull

Banned
I'm going to start dropping a few books by the end of the week, too (5 minimum), mostly to add some books that I've been following on the side. Here's what's on my list officially:

Adventure Time
Afterlife With Archie
All-New Ghost Rider
Amazing Spider-Man
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Ghostbusters
Gotham Academy
Loki AoA
Lumberjanes
Mega Man
Ms. Marvel
Rat Queens
Red Sonja
Regular Show
Saga
Samurai Jack
Ultimate Spider-Man
WickDiv
Grim Fairy Tales: Wonderland

Any books out there that I'm genuinely missing out on? I could use some shaking up on my reading for next year.

Batgirl, Batman, Copperhead and Sex Crims were all great. Only thing I didn't like about Batgirl was the
hash-tag villain, oh boy was that dumb
… Everything else is great. Love the art and supporting cast.

frye

SIXIS: good! It's best not to get hopes too high for these things but as a continuation of UA, this is solid except for the deservedly-mocked SIXISIXISIXIS, which... why marvel why

Annihilator: Flex Mentallo by the way of The Filth, right? More into this than anything Morrison's done in a while

Terminal Hero: a fucked up comic, and not entirely in a good way

Hipster Batgirl: Dug it. It was cute, but not as cute as I thought it would be

Damn, damn, just damn, Birthright might be my book of the week. That was awesome. Wow, everyone should read this book! Go buy this first issue. It will hook you!

I also bought War Stories, because Garth Ennis War Stories. But good FUCK, the Avatar art...this series used to be drawn by Chris Weston Dave Gibbons, and David Lloyd, man

I'm going to start dropping a few books by the end of the week, too (5 minimum), mostly to add some books that I've been following on the side. Here's what's on my list officially:

Any books out there that I'm genuinely missing out on? I could use some shaking up on my reading for next year.

How attached are you to your TV show books like Adventure Time and Regular show? And why no Bee & Puppycat? I would drop / trade-wait Black Widow (maybe Captain Marvel as well), and I'm giving WickDiv another issue or two to win me back before I drop it. Amazing Spider-man is headed to drop-city as well as soon as they're done with Spider-Gwen appearances.

TMNT is a good book, but I'd trade-wait that. The new G.I.Joe series (by Karen Traviss) has my attention now, where Cobra is an international peacekeeping force (lulz).

Sothpaw

How attached are you to your TV show books like Adventure Time and Regular show? And why no Bee & Puppycat? I would drop / trade-wait Black Widow (maybe Captain Marvel as well), and I'm giving WickDiv another issue or two to win me back before I drop it. Amazing Spider-man is headed to drop-city as well as soon as they're done with Spider-Gwen appearances.

TMNT is a good book, but I'd trade-wait that. The new G.I.Joe series (by Karen Traviss) has my attention now, where Cobra is an international peacekeeping force (lulz).

I bought that last week too, because I am new to the comics game and saw GI Joe #1. Cobra as a peacekeeping force was funny for sure. Maybe ISIS and Al Queda will be next! Still enjoyed the book.

I bought that last week too, because I am new to the comics game and saw GI Joe #1. Cobra as a peacekeeping force was funny for sure. Maybe ISIS and Al Queda will be next! Still enjoyed the book.

It was actually my first G.I. Joe comic, but I've read novels by Karen Traviss before and she writes good military fiction. Between that and the interesting premise (and Scarlet lookin' hot in dat skirt) I decided to give it a try. Really digging it so far.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Adventure Time
Afterlife With Archie
All-New Ghost Rider

Yo, remove Ghost Rider and replace it with literally any book, and you'll feel better about your list. Like, She-Hulk.

Nudull

Banned

Ryan North may be leaving Adventure Time soon (if December's solicit is to be believed) so depending on who takes over, it's on watch. I was an idiot and didn't think to pre-order Bee & Puppycat (mostly because I didn't know when it was actually starting, thank you Comixology >.>), but I'm heavily considering that as AT and/or Regular Show's replacement.

I'm considering TMNT as Ghostbusters' replacement (since that book ended, not counting the TMNT crossover miniseries), and I still need to try out G.I. Joe (love Karen Traviss).

Annihilator was great. Of course we don't have all the info to see where Morrison is taking us with this but each issue does its job to make you want that next issue now. Really cool so far.

fertygo

TBH I can't think any writer in Marvel that had enough quirk to write Peter properly, Remender and Hickman is all about hammy as fuck life.. Aaron more or less the same, Bendis is hit and miss as hell at these day.. Fraction seem like the best choice but we know he done with the company..

I'd pick Soule from the bunch.

What is Hickman going to do with Spider-man? He all about dat multiverse these days.

Read FF again and see he is also all about that interpersonal relationships too, he could probably give Spider-Man the cleansing he needs to become truly great again.

Edit:
TBH I can't think any writer in Marvel that had enough quirk to write Peter properly, Remender and Hickman is all about hammy as fuck life.. Aaron more or less the same, Bendis is hit and miss as hell at these day.. Fraction seem like the best choice but we know he done with the company..

I'm actually worried what Waid would do to Spider-Man if he got the book, he loves tearing down Pete's life/relationships.

Probably end up with Hobo Spider-Man

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Have you read Aaron's Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine? I think he writes a great Spider-Man.
I could also see Waid doing a great job.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
DC should back up the Brinks truck

Okay. This is super weird. I just read that phrase ("back up the Brinks truck") for the first time ever in a Politico article RIGHT before refreshing Comics GAF and seeing your post.

I must admit I don't read that yet, and I forgot about Waid lol, yeah he can do the job.

I'd definitely recommend it. It's a great read.

Nudull

Banned

I've always wanted Gail Simone to write Peter. She can easily pull it off.

Boogiepop

Ryan North may be leaving Adventure Time soon (if December's solicit is to be believed) so depending on who takes over, it's on watch. I was an idiot and didn't think to pre-order Bee & Puppycat (mostly because I didn't know when it was actually starting, thank you Comixology >.>), but I'm heavily considering that as AT and/or Regular Show's replacement.

I'm considering TMNT as Ghostbusters' replacement (since that book ended, not counting the TMNT crossover miniseries), and I still need to try out G.I. Joe (love Karen Traviss).

Oh wow, didn't know Ghostbusters was over. Somehow that makes the TMNT crossover seem extra crazy. I was considering looking into it recently, partially depending on how I feel about it when I read the crossover when it inevitably gets a trade (been super digging the TMNT series and honestly IDW seems pretty awesome in general, plus Ghostbusters is a damn great movie). How was it? A good solid run to pick up?

frye

Actually Joe Kelly should do it. dude was easily the Best BND writer.( Zeb wells is second, tho ddue cant even write more than 3 issues)

My cape comics dream is for Robot Chicken to get cancelled and for cloning machines to be invented so Wells can take over ASM and Elektra

Good Smile Company making TMNT statues. I expect them to be big and expensive, but oh man....

Based on acclaimed fine artist James Jean’s original rendition of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Good Smile Company has made four individual sculptures that can be combined to create one large diorama sculpture. The individual statues will roll out separately, starting with the pre-order release of Leonardo in November 2014 and the remaining three in 2015.

Prototype samples of the highly detailed statues, along with Jean’s original image, will make their first appearance at the Good Smile Company booth (#422) at New York Comic Con between October 9th and October 12th.
TMNT-JAMES-JEAN.jpg

Leonardo.jpg

Nudull

Banned
Oh wow, didn't know Ghostbusters was over. Somehow that makes the TMNT crossover seem extra crazy. I was considering looking into it recently, partially depending on how I feel about it when I read the crossover when it inevitably gets a trade (been super digging the TMNT series and honestly IDW seems pretty awesome in general, plus Ghostbusters is a damn great movie). How was it? A good solid run to pick up?

It was a pretty consistent and decent-good series, especially if you're a fan. It even did the female Ghostbusters thing before it actually became a thing.

Weird that IDW cancelled it right in the middle of the 30th anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom