• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just finished Frank Miller's Ronin. That was a pretty crazy story. I'm a little disappointed in the very last page which was a little too cliche, but besides that, it was a crazy ride. Great art, great story. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as DKR or Martha Washington, but it's very nearly as good as those two.
Overall, I'd highly recommend it.

Mignola + Steinbeck + FRANK = Swoon

Just fantastic.

I've been at the con 10 minutes and I spent $300. Help.

You are the Anti-Kipp.

Veelk

Banned
I mean, the book was about Riff Raff using OK Cupid to run a smartphone thievery operation and he was foiled by Barbara using a QR code to upload a virus to his computer brain... It's not about connecting to it, that's like textbook definition of tryhard pandering.

I liked the book. I almost admire its dumbness, but you're blind if you didn't think they were just checking off a hipster, youth culture checklist when they wrote the story of this book.
I don't understand the distinction between using a type of cultural aesthetic and "try hard pandering".

frye

Presumptuous of you to assume I like either of those books. I've never read (heard of) God Hates Astronauts and actively dislike Scott Pilgrim.

And I haven't been keeping up with Simone's Batgirl, but from what I've heard about it (and the recent events in BoP) this seems like a total 180. Dude I know said, and I agree:

How is this any different from pre-New 52 Barbara turning into New 52 Barbara

Messi

I don't understand the distinction between using a type of cultural aesthetic and "try hard pandering".

They were also upfront about the tumblr /instagram aesthetic from the get go. No one should have been surprised by what they got in the first issue. The ad they gave been running for a few months is a mock up of Babs posting a selfie on instagram.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It wouldn't be as bad if those things were just there but they permeated every page and element of the story.

How is this any different from pre-New 52 Barbara turning into New 52 Barbara
The #1 on the cover.

But like Benjamin said, nu52 grimdark continuity doesn't really deserve sanctity.

ed: Should be said that I would love there to be more books like this in DC's main line universe. I think this is a good thing for them, assuming people buy it. I'm sick of their "house style" and every book looking like a copypasta of each other. I want more diverse artists like Tarr on books and I'm A-OK with their young characters being portrayed as such. My initial comments on this probably came out harsher than they were meant. I liked this book, but I do think it tried too hard. It went too far in the other direction.

the tone of batgirl was fucked, based on what I read of new52 of her and the birds of prey stuff I read

if this was how the new52 started, I'd be 100% okay with it, or if it was a different character, I think it'd be fine

Problem is, Nu52 Batgirl as it was was just maintaining a boring status quo. She was essentially the same Batgirl she'd always been. As of #35, they put a new spin on her, and I like it. A big part of cape books is keeping things fresh, and Babs needed a new approach.

eh, stuff like Scott Pilgrim and Young Avengers (GillenMckelvie version ofc) get hit pretty hard with the tumblr-pandering/SJW-pandering/hipster-pandering thing (well SP wasn't for the first two, but if it was published now it def. would have

I dont really give a shit tho, that's a boring criticism

Does the new Ms. Marvel get similar criticism also?

fauxtrot

Banned
Presumptuous of you to assume I like either of those books. I've never read (heard of) God Hates Astronauts and actively dislike Scott Pilgrim.

And I haven't been keeping up with Simone's Batgirl, but from what I've heard about it (and the recent events in BoP) this seems like a total 180. Dude I know said, and I agree:

I'm not here to fight, so I will keep this brief, but had you said "it's just not my thing" or "I don't like it, but whatever other people might", I wouldn't have gone at you. It's not fair to come in here and just say "it was different so it's shit".

I'm not here to fight, so I will keep this brief, but had you said "it's just not my thing" or "I don't like it, but whatever other people might", I wouldn't have gone at you. It's not fair to come in here and just say "it was different so it's shit".

God I'd love it if that was actually a rule comicgaf had to follow.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

I did say that. I just used LiQuid! Words and you got butthurt.

Does the new Ms. Marvel get similar criticism also?

not that I've seen at all

Problem is, Nu52 Batgirl as it was was just maintaining a boring status quo. She was essentially the same Batgirl she'd always been. As of #35, they put a new spin on her, and I like it. A big part of cape books is keeping things fresh, and Babs needed a new approach.

I 100% understand and agree, I just think that basically completely rebooting the character how they did it is a jarring departure. I'll still keep getting it to see if it grows on me (i think the tone is very weird for babs who seems like she was 20 years older 1 issue ago) but I wasn't against any of the content (though the villain was dumb, and black canary being like 19 years old too was weird)

Who cares? Go get us some pics of Kotobukiya's Bishoujo She-Hulk. That's your only job right now. :D

I 100% understand and agree, I just think that basically completely rebooting the character how they did it is a jarring departure. I'll still keep getting it to see if it grows on me (i think the tone is very weird for babs who seems like she was 20 years older 1 issue ago) but I wasn't against any of the content (though the villain was dumb, and black canary being like 19 years old too was weird)

Maybe because they did it at #35 and didn't start with a new #1. But they changed more than just creative teams with this book, so I can understand feeling disoriented. I just went in thinking of it as a completely new series starring an old familiar character. Don't get me wrong, I hated the villain this issue and thought it was super-dumb, but everything else, I enjoyed.

fauxtrot

Banned
We want and welcome a wide array of opinions here (this place is more tolerant than just about any other comics community I've seen), but as soon as people start stating their opinions as fact, it becomes a problem. Especially when that opinion starts to echo the stereotypical closed-mindedness comic book fans are known for.

I did say that. I just used LiQuid! Words and you got butthurt.

Wow, ok bro. We're gonna get along just great...

LiQuid!

Except if you'll recall, the Batman line was initially said to be unchanged during the reboot

a little, yea

Generally unchanged... Saying it was fully unchanged would have been an all-out lie just because of Babs alone. Basically all that crap said at the beginning of the nu52 was DC trying to justify not fucking with some ongoing runs from their powerhouse creators that had storylines ongoing like Batman Inc and Johns' GL.

I do think Batgirl #35 should have been Batgirl #1 the same way Green Arrow 17(i think?) should have been Green Arrow #1. If you're taking such a radical departure with your character just renumber the damn thing.

fauxtrot

Banned
I do think Batgirl #35 should have been Batgirl #1 the same way Green Arrow 17(i think?) should have been Green Arrow #1. If you're taking such a radical departure with your character just renumber the damn thing.

Yup, I definitely agree. It's kind of funny that Marvel is #1/reboot crazy right now and DC is the exact opposite.

holy shit those artists
Basically: "Do you think i'd like All The Real Girls? I really dug Your Highness."

Short answer: Yes!!
lmaolmao
christ goddamn

the anti-Kipp
We want and welcome a wide array of opinions here (this place is more tolerant than just about any other comics community I've seen), but as soon as people start stating their opinions as fact, it becomes a problem. Especially when that opinion starts to echo the stereotypical closed-mindedness comic book fans are known for.

ehhh we state our opinions as fact all the time, we don't gotta label everything with "imo"

fauxtrot

Banned
ehhh we state our opinions as fact all the time, we don't gotta label everything with "imo"

I'm not saying this is how it needs to be, I'm just saying when people are incredibly negative and/or insult something another person may like, it often comes off as "this is shit and you are shit if you like it". No one's opinion here is gospel (except Jedeye Sniv's).

Vibranium

Banned
have no idea whats going with Thor's arms. He loses one in UA, gets it back, loses the other one and the hammer, gets the arm back no hammer

Marvel editors, they apparently have no time for small continuity. And also working on letter sections (I miss them so badly, why the heck won't Marvel let people write in anymore?)

Sothpaw

So when trying out Comixology last night, I noticed that TMNT #1 from IDW was free. Gave it a try and kinda liked it. I was a huge fan of the turtles as a kid and wouldn't mind reading a comic series. Is the IDW series the current running one (it is by Kevin Eastman)? Also, are there any good turtles comics series from the past that I should look into?

frye

Generally unchanged... Saying it was fully unchanged would have been an all-out lie just because of Babs alone. Basically all that crap said at the beginning of the nu52 was DC trying to justify not fucking with some ongoing runs from their powerhouse creators that had storylines ongoing like Batman Inc and Johns' GL.

They were cage-y about explicitly mentioning certain things but with stuff like her still getting shot by the Joker (i.e. Killing Joke) and being in a wheelchair for a while, the implication that she was still the same character in that first issue is pretty hard to deny.

like, would you have been annoyed with i dunno... Saga of the Swamp Thing 21, X-Force 116, etc? Those comics are radical departures and are all time greats and didn't need a new #1

Vibranium

Banned
Anyways, I was very happy with Punisher this week as I'm sure NTGYK was as well. I had a huge smile on my face.
Rachel showed up and Frank's cop friend seems to be going down the same road as him. He should form a mini squad with the two gals and take down the cartel.

Also, been reading Grayson and it is legit like everyone said. That final Nightwing issue sounded horrible, so it's nice to see this series is so fun and that Dick and Bruce are still working together.

So when trying out Comixology last night, I noticed that TMNT #1 from IDW was free. Gave it a try and kinda liked it. I was a huge fan of the turtles as a kid and wouldn't mind reading a comic series. Is the IDW series the current running one (it is by Kevin Eastman)? Also, are there any good turtles comics series from the past that I should look into?

Yes the IDW series is the current run and it's written by Eastman. It's awesome.

I don't have any experience with older TMNT comics unfortunately. I love the current series however.

Hellers

I don't know if it's the same outside of the UK store but Comixology are selling 21 volumes of The Walking Dead for £3.99 each

Messi

Guys help. My store has the Sideshow Collectibles Gwen Stacy. Help me resist. Or should I do it

:(

Cheska would do it.

LiQuid!

They were cage-y about explicitly mentioning certain things but with stuff like her still getting shot by the Joker (i.e. Killing Joke) and being in a wheelchair for a while, the implication that she was still the same character in that first issue is pretty hard to deny.

like, would you have been annoyed with i dunno... Saga of the Swamp Thing 21, X-Force 116, etc? Those comics are radical departures and are all time greats and didn't need a new #1

Not familiar with Swamp thing. X-Force 116 was the start of X-Statix, right? If so, no I wouldn't have been annoyed with that being a #1 at all. I'm all for renumbers. Renumber every book as soon as it gets a new writer. Retailers would fuckin hate it, but Marvel and DC love it. It would boost sales for fresh creative teams, and it would keep everything contained into tidy volumes. At this point it's probably too late for all that tho since comic numbering couldn't possibly be any more fucked unless they inexplicably started going backwards.

Messi

If you're going to get one of them, the MJ one was better.

But MJ sucks

We need pics to help you make an informed decision.

200162-gwen-stacy-011.jpg

Here's MJ, also great

Zombine

Banned
I had to stop st the hotel which is only a half mile north on the same block as the convention center. I was carrying too much shit and my hands were killing me. When I head back I'll hit up Kotobukiya again, and head to artists alley.

The place that was selling Star Sappire Wonder Woman was sketch as fuck. I may pass on that.

The Con exclusive Naughty Dog leather set was about 25 lbs. the bag was cutting my fingers off so I had to regroup fast. I'll be heading back in about 30 minutes.

Veelk

Banned
It wouldn't be as bad if those things were just there but they permeated every page and element of the story.

My point is I don't see the distinction between pandering and simply using the different aesthetics (even if they're using it heavily). It sounds more like that that the particular aesthetic doesn't appeal to you and that's not justification enough to call the book dumb, I think. Which is different from your friend's complaints about the babs character shift. That I totally get behind...but at the same time, I've just accepted that as a weakness of a medium that wants to have continuity while having multiple independant writers of the same property. It's a dissonance that would happen even if the new writer tried to write as closely to Gail Simone as they could because they are not Gail Simone. So it's hard for me to rag on it just because it's doing it's own thing.

Messi

I had to stop st the hotel which is only a half mile north on the same block as the convention center. I was carrying too much shit and my hands were killing me. When I head back I'll hit up Kotobukiya again, and head to artists alley.

The place that was selling Star Sappire Wonder Woman was sketch as fuck. I may pass on that.

The Con exclusive Naughty Dog leather set was about 25 lbs. the bag was cutting my fingers off so I had to regroup fast. I'll be heading back in about 30 minutes.

Don't die on us Zombine. Know your limits.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
What about LaMaquion? I wonder how she is.

She was only here for the first month or so that I joined the ComicsGAF family, so I don't remember her all too well, except for the fact that she tried to get everyone on the Six Gun Gorilla boat.

I do remember she left rather suddenly though.

frye

Not familiar with Swamp thing. X-Force 116 was the start of X-Statix, right? If so, no I wouldn't have been annoyed with that being a #1 at all. I'm all for renumbers. Renumber every book as soon as it gets a new writer. Retailers would fuckin hate it, but Marvel and DC love it. It would boost sales for fresh creative teams, and it would keep everything contained into tidy volumes. At this point it's probably too late for all that tho since comic numbering couldn't possibly be any more fucked unless they inexplicably started going backwards.

This is just sentimental but I appreciated the fact that Superman 33 (with Johns and Romita coming on) and Batgirl 35 weren't new #1s.

I don't need constant renumbering. get those high numbers.

I'm not saying this is how it needs to be, I'm just saying when people are incredibly negative and/or insult something another person may like, it often comes off as "this is shit and you are shit if you like it". No one's opinion here is gospel (except Jedeye Sniv's).
It could, but i don't think that post did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom