• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
If you have the time, I'd love something TMNT-comicsGAF related.

Here you go!

iDCNCuHCAt0E.png

And here's a slightly higher res version if you want to take a look.

Just saw the preview for Batman/Superman#15
Damn
Lois Batgirl
looking fine.
Screw Superman and Wonder Woman, roll with this for a while.

Seriously though I really wouldn't mind
Lois hanging around the main Batbooks for a few months
Never going to happen though.

I don't really like the second volume of Hickman's Avengers run. Hopefully it picks up with the Infinity event, otherwise I'm dropping it, maybe New Avengers as well.

On the other hand, I really liked volume one of Lemire's Animal Man.

Zombine

Banned
Joe Quinones was the nicest artist I chatted up at comic con. He told me all about the history of how he ended up on Zatanna & Black Canary. He said they have talked about a follow up!!! He also signed all my stuff for nothing :)

I continue to enjoy Godhead. New Gods smashing uppity lanterns never gets old. John Stewart is like the only one who's managed to come across as cool in this whole thing.

Zombine

Banned
I took my own pics of the Kotobukiya shit. They're going to announce new ones tonight as well. I'll Try to take some pics of that as well.

fauxtrot

Banned
What'd everyone think of Wytches #1? I only got about halfway through before the tree incident made me seek the safety of my house... I'll probably finish it tonight (inside this time).

Messi

Joe Quinones was the nicest artist I chatted up at comic con. He told me all about the history of how he ended up on Zatanna & Black Canary. He said they have talked about a follow up!!! He also signed all my stuff for nothing :)

Seems like a good dude on Twitter. Love his art too.

Boogiepop

Sweet, will buy the trades.

To add to this: The current IDW run is definitely amazing and I highly recommend it. Note that the non-numbered trades are also both amazing and important story-wise, so don't make the mistake of skipping things like the Micro series and whatnot. The Wikipedia article is just fine for giving a nice reading order to get you by. Oh, and at least the first Annual is perfectly skippable, though. It's more of a quirky thing that's not too big of a deal (feels like an old TMNT comic in the new continuity), and you can easily get by without it.

As for the older stuff: I've only read what IDW has reprinted as trades (and not the TMNT Adventures or the part 2 of Tales of the TMNT stuff). It's a very, very indie comic. There are some really amazing moments peppered throughout, and a number of things that are also just plain weird. It really goes all over the place. If you want to give it a shot, then I'd recommend starting with the stuff in the first Ultimate Collection (don't know if you're going digital or not), and then sticking with that line if you want more. It collects the stuff from the original creators which is largely the best of it, and the first volume should give you a nice idea of what you'd be in for. It's definitely not for everyone though, so be warned.

Veelk

Banned
Alright, comic gaf, I need you to come through for me here, because I got a long list of characters I want to read. Finding good comics about the major heroes is pretty easy. The benefit of being Batman and Superman is that you have LOTS of people writing you, so you'll get someone who writes you well at some point or another.

I want to read about less common and popular heroes. Not necessarily unpopular (as I even have 2 leaguers in there), as you'll the list has, but B-listers basically, or characters who are usually not in the spotlight themselves as opposed to being associated with the hero that is in the spotlight. Try to keep your recommendations to single stories rather than whole runs, since I just do not ahve that kind of time, but I want to get a flavor of how these characters are written when they're at their best.

I want to look more into:

Zatanna
Black Canary
Captain Atom
Captain Marvel
Blue Beetle
Static Shock
The New Gods/Forever people (...eh, sort of. I mainly want to get into the apokolips/new genesis mythology, just to understand them. I want to know why they exist in the universe. If reading a wiki of them is more informative of this, then I'll do that instead, but I thought I'd ask.)
Vandal Savage
Aquaman (particularly if it's a story with ocean master)
Flash
Deathstroke (and to be clear, this can be a story where he is an antagonist, rather than a protagonist. Either or, as long as it's a good story that does his character justice)
Black Atom
Amanda Waller

Thanks

Messi

Read Paul Dini and Joe Quinones OGN Bloodspell. It's about Zatanna and Black Canary. It's fantastic and beautiful. One of the best books over read this year. Wish there was more.

Zombine

Banned
Read Paul Dini and Joe Quinones OGN Bloodspell. It's about Zatanna and Black Canary. It's fantastic and beautiful. One of the best books over read this year. Wish there was more.

Joe and I talked about it. It was so enlightening. He's so damn nice.

Zatanna
Black Canary
Captain Atom
Captain Marvel
Blue Beetle
Static Shock
The New Gods/Forever people (...eh, sort of. I mainly want to get into the apokolips/new genesis mythology, just to understand them. I want to know why they exist in the universe. If reading a wiki of them is more informative of this, then I'll do that instead, but I thought I'd ask.)
Vandal Savage
Aquaman (particularly if it's a story with ocean master)
Flash
Deathstroke (and to be clear, this can be a story where he is an antagonist, rather than a protagonist. Either or, as long as it's a good story that does his character justice)
Black Atom
Amanda Waller

-Zatanna: Everyday Magic, a 48 page special by Paul Dini and Brian Mays
-Secret Origins #50 is kinda hard to find, so Bloodspell should do for Black Canary. Or the JLU TV show.
-Honestly don't know if I have ever read a Captain Atom comic lol
-Depends on what Blue Beetle you want. Probably not Dan Garrett. Ted Kord, pretty much any of the Justice League books by Giffen/DeMatties/McGuire. Jaime Reyes is basically Spider-Man, teen superhero thing, had an ongoing that was pretty fun for awhile. The Nu52 version was Birdie tier
-Static...ask Parallax
-The New Gods...go straight to the Source(Wall) anything with Jack Kirby's name on, Fourth World Omnibus lets go
-Vandal Savage, ask of his appearances in Grant Morrison's comics should do, DC One Million, Return of Bruce Wayne #1, Multiversity: SOS #1 that just came up, Immortal Supervillian through the ages
-Aquaman...LMAO(but seriously Morrison's JLA run orrrrrr ask Paralax)
-Flash, hey look a handy guide
-Deathstroke, well his best stories are in New Teen Titans but you kinda got to be reading that whole run to get the full effect of the Judas Contract. If you just want to see him kick ass there's always Identity Crisis #3
-Black Adam, I think you meant, either Geoff Johns JSA run or the original graphic novel by Jerry Ordway, The Power of Shazam!
-Amanda Waller, Suicide Squad in general. Know you didn't want runs, but that's where she is. You also learn how awesome Capt. Boomerang and Deadshot are as well.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I am in

That cover is FIERCE

JhxNqSbl.jpg
Need creative info but tentatively on board. Hell I don't even really care who they get to write it as long as they get a good artist on it.
I wonder what Emma Rios has been up to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom