• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
that last Fury Max issue tho

jamesbrownwow-gif.61

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Fury MAX is one of the best things Ennis has ever done.

I'm so looking forward to it. I was half-tempted to buy it on Amazon just so I can have it quick, but then I got ahold of myself and did the right thing and ordered it on IST.
I've seriously never been so impatient to get an IST order though. I want it ten minutes ago.
Ennis's writing is just really doing it for me right now.

I'm so looking forward to it. I was half-tempted to buy it on Amazon just so I can have it quick, but then I got ahold of myself and did the right thing and ordered it on IST.
I've seriously never been so impatient to get an IST order though. I want it ten minutes ago.
Ennis's writing is just really doing it for me right now.

Its not just Ennis, its Parlov too. I remember reading one of CA John Parker's article on Starlight, straight out the game he said "Goran Parlov may be one of the five best comics artists living today". I wanted to object, in that kind of kneejerk comic nerd kind of way to such a brash subjective statement, but I thought about it like "shit...he may be right". And now he's on some next level Moebius shit in Starlight this month.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Its not just Ennis, its Parlov too. I remember reading one of CA John Parker's article on Starlight, straight out the game he said "Goran Parlov may be one of the five best comics artists living today". I wanted to object, in that kind of kneejerk comic nerd kind of way to such a brash subjective statement, but I thought about it like "shit...he may be right". And now he's on some next level Moebius shit in Starlight this month.

Wow. He's got some great style.
I've only seen his art in the Punisher MAX stuff he did and I remember liking it, but not thinking it was super incredible or anything. That was a long time ago though and I hadn't been reading comics for more than a few months, so my comics appreciation skills weren't too good. I'm sure when I read Fury MAX I'll realize what it is everyone loves about him.

tim1138

Who says things like this? it's as close to objectively wrong as one can be with a subjective opinion.

Feel bad.

Messi says things like that, probably not enough girly hijinks for him.

ViewtifulJC said:

Dammit, why'd you have to post that and tempt me into giving Mark Millar money.

I was really into Scarlet Spider when Ryan Stegman was drawing it. Then Marvel said, "Wait a minute...this guy is waaaaaay too good to be on this B-tier book, put him on Fantastic Four, Superior Spider-Man, and Wolverine stat!". So he left and Khoi Pham came in and that was the end of that.

buying every issue of Scarlet Spider taught me an important lesson about comics, and that lesson is, "don't read books drawn by Khoi Pham." I just really wanted to read the character's story. just when i thought i was out of the woods with Khoi Pham, David Baldeon took over and he's almost as bad

I'd read that alternate-universe story.
The cow with a vengeance.
His calves were slaughtered to make leather shoes for the mob. He will make them pay.

That would be amazing.

I remember being pretty cold to Parlov when he first started on, but the further it went, the more I loved his work. He's top-tier to me now.

Calling Spider-Man a bad character is crazy. If only because his stories with Johnny Storm are awesome. I miss Spidey as part of the FF family.

arkon

I need a book with all the other Spider-men and women that can't prop up their own ongoing. Lush magazine format. 96 Pages monthly. Written and drawn by Koi Pham. Titled...

...Spider-Phamily.

Slow day at work.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I never saw the point or interestingness of Kaine.

"All the power, none of the responsibility."

WHAT??

THAT IS THE MOST POINTLESS THING EVER IN COMICS.

Batman: But with living parents.
Superman: Born and raised on Earth.
Punisher: Finish your crime fighting in time to get home to your loving family!

Whose idea was this character anyway?

Judging a book literally by its cover tagline. Poor form Birdie.

The whole draw of the book was Kaine trying to wriggle away from the responsibility, but ultimately doing the right thing when the time called for it. And also all the ways the universe would constantly force him into superhero nonsense when all he wanted to do was go sunbathe and drink. Except his Parker genes meant he can only ever drink two beers at a time and then be totally wasted.

Was my favourite Marvel book going. Thats now Superior Foes. My love is a doomed one.

Can't blame Marvel pandering to the Tumblr lot with stuff like Spider-Gwen and Squirrel Girl and so on. That audience is buying some stuff right now, so its an investment clearly. Now if only they'd stop shitting on the books that could be good, and they wouldnt be losing me as a customer constantly as well.

Nudull

Banned
To be fair, though, Marvel's attitude towards Peter Parker (like other heroes who can't get married of have stable lives because of editors' attitudes) is pretty damning. Need I talk about OMD/BND?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Spider-Man himself is a pretty bad character. You can't expect great stories all the time on such a shaky base.

cZFkaW2.gif

---

On Parlov: I have said this before, but dude's an artist's artist. He's on par with Alex Toth when it comes to presentation, IMO.
I also love how his first and last pages tend to be splashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom