• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a good comic series to break in to for someone who doesn't really enjoy super heroes? I could probably be persuaded but I tend to prefer more serious, dark, or gritty things.

I'm someone who enjoys a lot of one-off graphic novels but I've really been wanting to break into an actual ongoing series that I can rely on regularly. I've been reading Fables which I really enjoy but am not caught up on yet, and I know it is ending soon.

I enjoyed Pretty Deadly and am looking forward to more of that and I've also picked up the first TPB of Saga.

Try Deadly Class

Nice pickups Zombine. That Cliff print is amazing.

Moon Knight #2. I am going stop reading this for tonight. I need to let this issue sink in. The panels thing in the first 8 pages was brilliant.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
izombie-panel.jpg

How's the writing in iZombie? Obviously Allred is top tier, but I can't remember what I've heard about the writing.
If an omnibus is released because of the TV show, I might have to get it.

Good job buying stuff, by the way. You're a better spender than I am.

Although I've made two $50 IST orders in the past week, so that's something.

Zombine

Banned
Good shit, man. I may post what I got when the weekend is over, but it's like 1/10th of what you have.

I would trade it to still be there. Honestly, next time you should meet up with us and chill. We had an awesome time. I wanted to go out and get drinks and shit afterwards.

Kipp

I would trade it to still be there. Honestly, next time you should meet up with us and chill. We had an awesome time. I wanted to go out and get drinks and shit afterwards.

Pfft. Just have drinks at home like me. Much cheaper. :p

I was going to say bishoujo Starfire is already out, but I forget that the US gets them a month later. I imported mine. :D

They definitely messed up a bit on She-Hulk's face, but she looks great otherwise. Still buying. And Zatanna is going to be amazing when she's painted.

Zombine

Banned
Love the typo on the Jubilee sign

They mentioned that if you don't get her now there is a good chance that in the next run her shades will be missing :(

I was going to say bishoujo Starfire is already out, but I forget that the US gets them a month later. I imported mine. :D

They definitely messed up a bit on She-Hulk's face, but she looks great otherwise. Still buying. And Zatanna is going to be amazing when she's painted.

I feel like I forgot to mention that Zatanna will also have a Black Canary companion piece.

Starfire is just beautiful though. It's one of the best statues I have ever seen.

Messi

I genuinely laughed out loud when I read this. I love you sometimes* Freeza

*always[/spoier]

They mentioned that if you don't get her now there is a good chance that in the next run her shades will be missing :(

I think she comes with two sets of shades. It's the 90's style ones that are first-run only.

I feel like I forgot to mention that Zatanna will also have a Black Canary companion piece.
I got a kick out of Koto's slide for Black Canary at their presentation:

Nudull

Banned
*sees Batwoman bishoujo*

...no...n-no, I said I'd never buy any of those stupid things...fight it, Nudull, FIGHT IT! ;_:

Goddman you, Zombine...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Ah, why the fuck didn't we meet up and go out after? We could have been the east coast tim and Korrupt. PM me if you ever want to get some shit goin!

Zombine

Banned
Pfft. Just have drinks at home like me. Much cheaper. :p

Lol and it has to be whatever is on sale.

Ah, why the fuck didn't we meet up and go out after? We could have been the east coast tim and Korrupt. PM me if you ever want to get some shit goin!

Oh fuck yes. We'll be back bro. I might as well live in the city. I'm down at least once a month. I may even end up working in Penn Plaza if all goes well.

Just finished JLU #5. It started kind of slow, but Lemire's writing has this kind of gentle charm that sucks me in. Even though the series doesn't have the wall to wall bombast that Johns on the main JL book does, I still quite like it.

Plus, the Legion's back!

Starfire is just beautiful though. It's one of the best statues I have ever seen.

Starfire is great. She seems a bit smaller than Power Girl and Huntress, but she's leaning over, so that might be it. She looks great next to the other DC ladies.

Totally down for that Anna. I think she's coming in May. And Poison, oh man.... If she comes out as well as Juri, she's an easy buy as well.

No don't do this to me

I don't click on FigureGAF for a reason...

Here or there, you can't escape.

Kipp

Back on topic, I totally wish that Mignola would make a Hellboy statue in the same style as that Batman statue. Now that I would buy without a doubt.
All the Hellboy statues are very un-Mignola and it's disappointing.

Zombine

Banned
Is it bad that I've never read Hellboy, but I adore the hell out of the movies?

The movies are GREAT. The market scene in the second movie is better than the entire cantina scene in A New Hope.

I do suggest just buying Library vol 1 blindly, though. It's classic literature.

I used to have an awesome Hellboy shirt and if I ever wore it to the shop and this one guy was working he'd always lose his shit on me because I was wearing it and never read any of it, haha. Some girl bought it for me because it looked cool :( He was like if you hadn't got the whole store into Transmet I'd throw you and your Supergirl and Flash (or maybe it was Harley) books out of here.

Nudull

Banned
I don't know I love the movies and I've only read 2 trades and Itty Bitty Hellboy

Funny enough, Itty Bitty Hellboy ended up being my first Hellboy comic. The first two trades are surprisingly hard as balls to find in my area, but I'll probably just order the Library edition eventually.

Kipp

I haven't seen the first Hellboy movie, but I did see the midnight premiere of the second one. I was in high school when it came out and hadn't even heard of Hellboy before, but I was hanging out with a friend who was already planning to see it, so I tagged along.
...I almost fell asleep. I thought it was so boring. Also the theater was super cold.

I really ought to watch it again sometime since Hellboy is one of my favorite comics ever now.

Funny enough, Itty Bitty Hellboy ended up being my first Hellboy comic. The first two trades are surprisingly hard as balls to find in my area, but I'll probably just order the Library edition eventually.

I highly, highly recommend the Library Edition.

Owzers

resisting that Mignola Batman statue, but it looks fantastic still. I just bought the Wonder Woman Chiang statue as my third in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom