• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintan

Spider-Gwen was honestly the only one I didn't find shitty.
Yeah, I mean they're all pretty bad to me and I wouldn't say the Patton issue was actually good or anything, just thought some of it was kind of funny. The Superior Spider-Man tie in issues were better, I thought.

Why is Spider Woman not part of the Spider person family?

Jessica isn't really connected to Spider-Man. They don't have a similar origin or anything. Spider-Man got his black costume from Julia Carpenter (she appeared wearing it first, and then when Spidey got the symbiote, his mind made his new suit look similar). Mattie Franklin helped Peter during the Gathering of Five and impersonated Spider-Man for while after Peter quit. For as much as people give Slott shit, the books now are nowhere near as bad as the Howard Mackie era.

The Hopeless series seems to be a real attempt to tie things in.

Fintan

Jessica isn't really connected to Spider-Man. They don't have a similar origin or anything. Spider-Man got his black costume from Julia Carpenter (she appeared wearing it first, and then when Spidey got the symbiote, his mind made his new suit look similar). Mattie Franklin helped Peter during the Gathering of Five and impersonated Spider-Man for while after Peter quit. For as much as people give Slott shit, the books now are nowhere near as bad as the Howard Mackie era.

The Hopeless series seems to be a real attempt to tie things in.
Around the Howard Mackie era was the first comics I ever read. I uses to get the Panini Astonishing Spider-Man. Aged 10 or whatever I was, it was just cool to be reading Spider-Man, but even I could notice the quality difference when JMS took over.

The Gathering of Five was so dumb. Is Norman still afflicted with that Madness? They should bring back Shadrac!

Around the Howard Mackie era was the first comics I ever read. I uses to get the Panini Astonishing Spider-Man. Aged 10 or whatever I was, it was just cool to be reading Spider-Man, but even I could notice the quality difference when JMS took over.

The Gathering of Five was so dumb. Is Norman still afflicted with that Madness? They should bring back Shadrac!

I did exactly the same, though I was a little older (around 12 I think). Dat nostalgia.

I don't think it's been referenced ever since apart from Mattie being killed off in Grim Hunt. I think she might have been in that Legion of Losers story Kirkman did when he was doing Marvel Team-Up.

Fintan

I did exactly the same, though I was a little older (around 12 I think). Dat nostalgia.

I don't think it's been referenced ever since apart from Mattie being killed off in Grim Hunt. I think she might have been in that Legion of Losers story Kirkman did when he was doing Marvel Team-Up.
Those panini reprints were class. I loved the classic reprints in the back. Got to read a lot of the best stories, like Kraven's Last Hunt.

I stopped reading Spidey early into BND. I've read Superior and I'm thinking of going back and reading the 150 or so issues I missed. Reckon it's worth it?

Messi

Will give Wytches a read, should be better than Snyder's current Batman run :V

I9zDLm2.jpg

Those panini reprints were class. I loved the classic reprints in the back. Got to read a lot of the best stories, like Kraven's Last Hunt.

I stopped reading Spidey early into BND. I've read Superior and I'm thinking of going back and reading the 150 or so issues I missed. Reckon it's worth it?

Brand New Day was pretty good overall. With the almost-weekly format and team of writers, it flows like a TV show IMO. Big Time is terrific until it peaks with Spider-Island which was superb, then it kind of treads water until Superior. I think its' worth it but I'd wait for a deal or get Marvel Unlimited.

I'm a big fan of Brand New Day overall. Creatively inconsistent of course, its to be expected when you have a different creative team for every story arc passing things along like a baton race, but the pacing of it coming out 3 times a month means if you didn't like a story, you could just wait a month for a new one, the momentum was so quick. Gale and Guggenheim's stories are mostly bad, but Slott, Van Lente, Kelly, Wells, and Waid do some overall very strong work. I feel BND really revitalized the supporting cast around Peter, from the old ones like JJJ losing the Daily Bugle and becoming mayor of New York, to the new ones like Norah or JJJ Sr. There was a feeling that things were progressing, even if they really didn't, that I think is core to something like the Lee/Romita or Stern/Romita ASM runs.

And there's some REALLY great art, just the most consistently interesting looking comic from the Big Two, especially for a big icon like Spider-Man. Marcos Martin, Javier Pulidio, Phil Jimenez, Emma Rios, JRJR, Bachalo, Fiumara, Paolo Rivera, Steve McNiven, Eric Canete, etc.

The good definitely outweighed the bad, and a few of its stories are some of my all-time favorite to star Spider-Man.

That Punisher team up by Zeb Wells & Paolo Rivera (Amazing Spider-man 577) is some next level shit. This is Rivera working in a puffy version of Paul Pope's style and goddamn is it good.

Future's End #23: I don't think I expected that last page. Black Adam vs. Giant Brainiac was pretty awesome. Just a full page of SHAZAM! over and over again. Also, these covers continue to be amazing.

I expected it because
it showed up in the house ads running in the back of every book this week.

It was still deeply messed up though.

Owzers

A new series called "Wolverines" begins in January, from Soule, Ray Fawkes, and Nick Bradshaw. "Sabretooth, Mystique, X-23, and Daken are, not a team, but have to work together," Soule said. 'This is not your save the universe book, this is, let's try to survive, do crazy things." The Wrecking Crew makes an appearance, and "Fin Fang Foom shows up, sort of," Soule said, adding that he's hoping for a "Nextwave" feel.

Kind of intrigued by this one, but overall this Death of Logan things seems like complete nonsense that i'm not bothering with.

Owzers

this can't be a sillymonkey321 post

they mentioned Nextwave....i think it's to trick me.

i'm interested in THAT one, but it's just one of many "Logan is Dead" projects. 7 one shots depicting how characters are dealing with his death? I hope there are 7 one shots depicting how surprised characters are by him coming back in a year.

Just finished JLU #5. It started kind of slow, but Lemire's writing has this kind of gentle charm that sucks me in. Even though the series doesn't have the wall to wall bombast that Johns on the main JL book does, I still quite like it.

Plus, the Legion's back!

I actually cheered! LLL!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm a big fan of Brand New Day overall. Creatively inconsistent of course, its to be expected when you have a different creative team for every story arc passing things along like a baton race, but the pacing of it coming out 3 times a month means if you didn't like a story, you could just wait a month for a new one, the momentum was so quick. Gale and Guggenheim's stories are mostly bad, but Slott, Van Lente, Kelly, Wells, and Waid do some overall very strong work. I feel BND really revitalized the supporting cast around Peter, from the old ones like JJJ losing the Daily Bugle and becoming mayor of New York, to the new ones like Norah or JJJ Sr. There was a feeling that things were progressing, even if they really didn't, that I think is core to something like the Lee/Romita or Stern/Romita ASM runs.

And there's some REALLY great art, just the most consistently interesting looking comic from the Big Two, especially for a big icon like Spider-Man. Marcos Martin, Javier Pulidio, Phil Jimenez, Emma Rios, JRJR, Bachalo, Fiumara, Paolo Rivera, Steve McNiven, Eric Canete, etc.

The good definitely outweighed the bad, and a few of its stories are some of my all-time favorite to star Spider-Man.

Great post, summs it up perfectly.

THE X-men are SO CANCELLED THEY ARE GETTING HEIR OWN EVENT

Panel started right with an announcement: "The Black Vortex," a new cosmic event uniting "The Legendary Star-Lord," "Guardians of the Galaxy," "Captain Marvel," "Nova," "All-New -Men" and "Cyclops." It starts with an "Alpha" issue in February 2015.

"It's bringing the Guardians and the X-Men together," Humphries said, informing the crowd that the Black Vortex is an ancient Marvel artifact. "What the Black Vortex can do is unlock the cosmic potential inside anyone."

Zombine

Banned
X-Men and Guardians is like lemon juice and whole milk. Try not to shit your brains out and puke all over the place when you're done reading.

Owzers

THE X-men are SO CANCELLED THEY ARE GETTING HEIR OWN EVENT

"don't read that, or that , or that ( good start), or that, or that, or that. YESSSSSSS "

I'll check it out on MU if i find the reading order 6 months after it's out, but i'm glad nothing i read is involved in that crossover.

tim1138

Obviously once the Black Vortex swallows them up, the X-Men will be reborn as cosmic entities and won't be mutants anymore. Then Marvel can finally cancel that pesky X-Men line and stick it to Fox!

Zombine

Banned
Obviously once the Black Vortex swallows them up, the X-Men will be reborn as cosmic entities and won't be mutants anymore. Then Marvel can finally cancel that pesky X-Men line and stick it to Fox!

Holy fuck. We are about to get our first X book written and edited by Disney Legal, aren't we?

X-men going to space is a staple of the Franchise. its part of the charm.

also the black votex is a thing like the infinty gauntlet not a black hole

"It's bringing the Guardians and the X-Men together," Humphries said, informing the crowd that the Black Vortex is an ancient Marvel artifact. "What the Black Vortex can do is unlock the cosmic potential inside anyone."

Zombine

Banned
X-men going to space is a staple of the Franchise. its part of the charm.

This isn't Claremont X-Men. This is Bendis digging into his toy box and mixing his Barbie dolls with his GI Joes. There is no reason for this to exist. There was no reason for the teens to go into space in the first place.

Owzers

Q: Where can we find Kate Bishop after Hawkeye concludes?

Alonso: "Come to the Axel in Charge panel tomorrow."

January - Squirrel Girl #1
February - Spider-Gwen #1
March - All New Hawkeye Kate #1?

This isn't Claremont X-Men. This is Bendis digging into his toy box and mixing his Barbie dolls with his GI Joes.

huh? All-New is as Clamrmont as you can get. Drama ratched up to 11.

also Looks time has run out for the ultimate universe

The next audience member up asked for Marvel's perspective on the current status of the Ultimate Universe. "In eight months, 'Time Runs Out.'" Brevoort answered, referencing the current "Avengers" and "New Avengers" arc leading to "Secret Wars." "He just walks around the office saying that now, it's very weird," Buckley added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom