• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

i blame every announcement on Squirrel Girl. It was only the beginning.

Also playing Mordor makes me wish i didn't dislike all the LOTR movies after Fellowship, i love the world.

Nudull

Banned
Vertigo and Digital First stuff nothing on their main line.

I'm surprised at how low-key DC was this year. Granted, they already have a lot going on right now, so it was less than likey that we were going to hear anything big, anyway.

Aside from that Wonder Woman '77 megaton. Based Lynda Carter.

I think Spider-Gwen will stick around if that first issue was like the trial run and people received that pretty well. Silk will go the way of Alpha, Rafa's other favorite.

Sales are the ultimate barometer of course. Elektra is like 16k, so that's dead(why zeb wells why). She-Hulk is at 21k, its probably dead too(fuck all of you). Ghost Rider is like, 8k or some shit cuz that book is hot liquid constipated shit in comic book form.

But some books actually do get an audience and keep going. Silver Surfer, Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, Hawkeye, Rocket Raccoon, they're not in any danger of being cancelled any time soon.

Another thing is that Marvel seems to not be into big number runs anymore. Like, if Batgirl #35 was a Marvel book, you can bet money it would have been a #1. Even the characters who arent in danger of being cancelled like Thor or Captain America or Iron Man start over after 20 something issues. I think they're moving into a more "seasons" model, and the creative teams are actually building around that. Dennis Hopeless said for Avengers Arena, he knew that kind of book wasn't gonna last forever, so he built a short version and a long version, and the 18 issues was the long one. I think Nick Spencer said the same thing for Superior Foes, and I know Gillen/McKelvie specifically planned around Young Avengers starting January and #15 being the final issue on New Year's Eve in December. Secret Avengers is clearly winding itself down going by the solicits, it knows the end is coming, and its been planned around being one complete 12-15 issue story anyway.

And I don't have a big problem with that, conceptually. Young Avengers, Superior Foes, and AA probably had a pretty limited shelf time, so you come in with a clear authorial voice and creative team, tell the best story you can with these characters and this comic, and then its over. Now the next wacky thing, Squirrel Girl or whatever.

SoilBreak

Banned
MC2's Spider-Girl, Mayday Parker, is on the cover of "Amazing Spider-Man" #8. "She is a very big part of 'Spider-Verse,'" Lowe said. "She had a wonderful final story that gave her a happy ever after, and everything was so great," Slott said, before conspicuously trailing off -- clearly giving the implication that character is also not safe.
"I think I'm getting really good at killing people," Ramos said of drawing the story. "Did I say something I shouldn't?" "It is one of the most heart-wrenching, gut-wrenching stories you can read," Lowe added.

*sigh*

Goddamn you Slott.

Fintan

Is it likely that Spider-Gwen is going to be set in 616? Add Silk into that and that's a lot of Spider Characters running around. Do you guys think that these kind of things dilute Peter as a character or it doesn't really matter?

Sandfox

Is it likely that Spider-Gwen is going to be set in 616? Add Silk into that and that's a lot of Spider Characters running. Do you guys think that these kind of things dilute Peter as a character or it doesn't really matter?

Spider-Gwen isn't taking place in the main universe.

Messi

Is it likely that Spider-Gwen is going to be set in 616? Add Silk into that and that's a lot of Spider Characters running around. Do you guys think that these kind of things dilute Peter as a character or it doesn't really matter?

They have fucked up if Gwen is alive in 616

frye

It would dilute her as a character more than Peter if she moved into the 616. That issue of Spider-Verse is a fine comic that's elevated by the dynamics of the supporting cast imo

Spider-Gwen isn't taking place in the main universe.

I'm a little surprised they went that route.
gjZIOfZ.jpg

Messi

Girly Hijinx are taking over big style. Congrats Marvel.

I look forward to cursing you as you cancel all of them within two arcs of starting and that's being generous. :(

SoilBreak

Banned
I refuse to accept this rumor. Refuse.

She's probably doomed.

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.co...im-a-big-fan-of-anya-corazon-i-really-enjoyed
Hi Tom! I'm a big fan of Anya Corazon, I really enjoyed her arc in Avengers Assemble, so I wanted to know, are there any plans for her? (Im aware she's gonna be part of Spider-Verse, I mean besides or after that :)) - Anonymous

After that you can worry about after that.
For now, that’s the answer: she’ll be a part of Spider-Verse.

Fintan

Otto was a better Peter Parker than Peter Parker.
Huh, I felt like the whole Superior series went to great lengths to show that Otto was, in his own way, at least as much of a fuck up as Peter. In addition to being a murderer and a creepy body thief.

I didn't hate Superior, but I was definitely ready for it to end when it did. But that might at least be in part to not really enjoying Slott that much.

Messi

Huh, I felt like the whole Superior series went to great lengths to show that Otto was, in his own way, at least as much of a fuck up as Peter. In addition to being a murderer and a creepy body thief.

Otto was just as flawed if not more so. He learns that by the end but as the reader I felt he was more interesting to read about in his fuck ups. But I kind of feel like it's done. We maybe need to let the superior Spider-Man go as extending it will only lead to disappointment. Even if I want Anna Maria to get her Spider-Man back :/

Nudull

Banned

The way that Otto was creeping around MJ was pretty damn problematic, but he did get better once he paired up with Anna.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man. Reading the God Hates Astronauts TPB. The two page Anti-Mugger origin story was one of the funniest things yet. Just hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom