• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
Who was it that was reading Wytches in a Forrest

That was me... never again.

No joke, I just started reading Wytches outside in the park after dark (which is where I go to smoke cigars), and started hearing a cracking sound... when I turned around, there was nothing there, so I started reading again. A few minutes later, the cracking sound happened again, much louder this time. When I turned around, again there was nothing there... until a huge tree limb broke off the tree behind me and crashed to the ground. Welp, I'm done reading for tonight. :(

I may or may not have yelped like a kicked dog.

frye

man, let's talk about some non-awful DC comics

like Mark Waid's Flash! Return of Barry Allen is still good as hell

fauxtrot

Banned
So I take it Wytches was successful as a horror book?

I kept imagining a little kid quietly walking up to me from behind and smashing my skull with a rock, so I'd say yeah.

If I'd have gotten to the end of the issue while I was out there, I'd have had bigger things to worry about.

Pledged is pledged.

fauxtrot

Banned
Sam Humphries writing a Cosmic Marvel event? Ehh, ok...

BLACK_VORTEX_LOGO_FIN-Recovered-630x420.png
Marvel's trying way too hard with these logos... that shit sounds/looks like it should be for a World of Warcraft: TCG expansion.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
In the past 24 hours, I've finished up all three books I was in the middle of. Now it's time to start Criminal. I have very high expectations.

I kept imagining a little kid quietly walking up to me from behind and smashing my skull with a rock, so I'd say yeah.

If I'd have gotten to the end of the issue while I was out there, I'd have had bigger things to worry about.

Haha. Well that's a pretty specific worry.
I'll have to grab the TPB when it comes out. I'm pretty intrigued.

MG310

So what's the consensus on Bendis' Uncanny? I want to try it out.

I'm not a big fan. The post AVX power issues for Emma/Cyke/Magik/Magneto are the worst. Lots of teleporting and being snarky with Shields Agents/Avengers/the other X-team.

I will say that I enjoy Bendis writing the Stepfords and the new recruits
GOLDBALLS!
though.

That was the first flash story I remember reading. I had no idea who barry allen was at the time but the later issues caught me up to speed and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Messi

What was the hype for SAGA like pre release? I wasn't reading comics at the time and I'm really curious considering the juggernaut it turned into.

Tizoc

He really should have left after that, there was no topping it

It's also definitive proof in comics form that Barry was really better off dead, as amazing as that Final Crisis page was.

Yeah I really liked that story, although the lingo is very outdated haha.

Eh I dunno, in the end a character is only as good as he is written.

Flash Gordon comes back this week brehs...its a fun comic ya'll, pls buy

What was the hype for SAGA like pre release? I wasn't reading comics at the time and I'm really curious considering the juggernaut it turned into.

Hype was pretty damn high for it. BKV's Y the Last Man and Ex Machina have become perennial favorites from a wide-range of comic fans, and he left the comic field for years. So him coming back with a new original ongoing was a pretty big deal.

Messi

Flash Gordon comes back this week brehs...its a fun comic ya'll, pls buy

Hype was pretty damn high for it. BKV's Y the Last Man and Ex Machina have become perennial favorites from a wide-range of comic fans, and he left the comic field for years. So him coming back with a new original ongoing was a pretty big deal.

Oh wow, I didn't know he had left for a chunk of time. I am sure that made it a big deal after Y.

I am very curious about Images rise actually. I wonder if there is any articles about them over the past few years. They seem to be going from strength to strength each year. They put out some incredible stuff.

Owzers

hmmm finally read Snyder's future batman story in Detective Comics #27 thanks to it being free. How is this not a book?

fauxtrot

Banned
Oh wow, I didn't know he had left for a chunk of time. I am sure that made it a big deal after Y.

I am very curious about Images rise actually. I wonder if there is any articles about them over the past few years. They seem to be going from strength to strength each year. They put out some incredible stuff.

I really hope someone writes a good book about this era of comics in 20 years or so... it'll be awesome to reanalyze some of this stuff when enough time has passed to put it all into proper context. Exciting times.

So what's the consensus on Bendis' Uncanny? I want to try it out.

It's pretty good, shakey at the start but I like it. Some of the new mutants are much less developed than the others but they work well together. Also GOLDBALLS

I would highly recommend reading it in-tandem with All-New X-Men though because there is a lot of interaction between the two groups, particularly at the cross-over Battle of the Atom event.

Oh snap, the Superior Foes guy is doing Ant-Man? Nice.

Wouldn't get too excited nick spencer is pretty hit or miss

Image really didn't get big till 08-09 when invincible and walking dead got huge . Bit it really hot it's stride when saga came out. Seemed everyone started to come over after

Messi

Wouldn't get too excited nick spencer is pretty hit or miss

Image really didn't get big till 08-09 when invincible and walking dead got huge . Bit it really hot it's stride when saga came out. Seemed everyone started to come over after

I remember the first issue of Chew was coming out when I got burned out on comics. Wish I had brought that issue now

MG310

NYCC Haul time

2 prints from Klaus Janson (plus got my DD:End of Days Hardcover signed

Surfer/Galactus print from Daniel HDR

Wonder Woman vs. Cheetah and Bioshock Infinite prints from Alex Garner

She-Hulk vs. IM from Amanda Conner and Daredevil from Paolo Rivera

Harleys from Adam Hughes & Amanda Conner

My Poison Ivy and Cheska's Spider-Woman from Joe Quinones

Captain and Ms. Marvels from Daniel HDR. He really hooked me up with the Captain sketch since I only asked for a 1/2 figure and he ended up doing a full body w/ the First Appearance look on his own. I won the awesome Ms. Marvel pinup at the St. Jude's auction for 140.

Harley Harley Harley from Daniel HDR, Todd Nauck, and Adam Hughes.

and my other auction win, this amazing Baroness by Ant Lucia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom