• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel just announced next year's big summer event:
Civil_War_2015.jpeg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why are they bringing this back? Did they run out of ideas already? Has Peter's life not been hard enough lately? Just, why?

gerg

Spider-Man looks ridiculously chunky in that image, for a character that's usually portrayed as very slim and slender.

I am very curious about Images rise actually. I wonder if there is any articles about them over the past few years. They seem to be going from strength to strength each year. They put out some incredible stuff.

I think Image's rise in marketshare and mindshare is just something that was bound to happen over time. They've had a steady string of hits over the years, mainly from Robert Kirkman and the popularity of The Walking Dead and Invincible, or Chew, Morning Glories, the old legacy stuff like Savage Dragon or Spawn, Witchblade, that stuff. Slowly amassed a collection of comics and creators that got a lot of buzz. BKV/Fiona Staples Saga, Brubaker/Phillips Fatale/The Fade Out, Jason Aaron/RM Guera Scalped and now Latour on Southern Bastards, Hickman/Pitarra's Manhattan Projects and Dragotta on East of West, Brandom Grahma's Prophet, Remender's various books Fear Agent, Black Science, Deadly Class, Fraction/Chaykin Satellite Sam, Zdarsky Sex Criminals, Casanova will be back next year, Gillen/McKelvie's The Wicked + The Divine/Phonogram, various Mark Millar projects, Grant Morrison, etc. They can attract so much talent because of their 100% creator rights thing, and they basically just let do whatever comic they want without worrying about how it fits into canon or will step on somebody's else toes for an event.

Also, when you right down to it, they still make their trade in popular genre material. The above names and many more all work in established popular genre stories people resonate towards. Copperhead is a western with a sci-fi setting. Zero is experimental and goes to some dark places, but its about superspy fiction and ultraviolence. Wytches is a horror comic. Stray Bullets is the FUCKING BEST but you slide into the "crime drama" category if you're so inclined.

And its just the way they promote themselves as a bastion of creativity and variety and imagination. They have a very positive media presence. They do good PR moves like be one of the first publishers to truly embrace digital, releasing titles same day as print long before other publishers announced their plans. Comic creators can't say enough good things about them cuz they let them do whatever they like and they own the own their properties completely. Comic media like MultiversityComics or CBR or Newsarama or ComicsAlliance praise them all the time, awarding them Comic Publisher of the Year again and again and again. I mean, you see negative press or blogs and shit about Marvel and DC all the time. How many do you see deriding Image? For what? They don't have any big eye-rolling events or gimmicks or half a dozen variant covers, they only charge over $3 when the books are longer than the standard 20-22 pages, they don't have any creators dissing them on Twitter or Tumblr, they say all the right things to all the right people. They don't cancel anybody's favorite book, or put a dumb creative team on your favorite character

tl:dr version: Wide variety of genre comics by a wide variety of happy, often very popular creators, with nothing but good vibes in the PR department

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
How can it be April 1st when yesterday was October 12th?
This Civil War thing can't be for real.
What's the over/under on Fear Itself getting announced sometime in the next week?

NYCC Haul time

Those are some really great pickups! Thanks for sharing!

Flash Gordon comes back this week brehs...its a fun comic ya'll, pls buy

Do you know when the TPB is coming out? I've been interested in this ever since I saw the preview for the first issue. It looks so colorful and adventurous. I've loved every modern throwback to the pulpy sci-fi stuff that I've read and it doesn't look like this will disappoint me either.

Owzers

Pretty much. I can only imagine they realize how bad they fucked it up last time and think they can do a better job now.

I'm guessing that this is getting it's start from the Cap/Tony feud that Hickman has started in his run.

i already said Hickman's Avengers is dangerously like Civil War already, maybe they are dropping all pretenses.

or maybe it is an animated movie

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
tl:dr version: Wide variety of genre comics by a wide variety of happy, often very popular creators, with nothing but good vibes in the PR department

Nice post.
Long live Image
the future home of Rafa and Kipp's Big Comics Debut

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i already said Hickman's Avengers is dangerously like Civil War already, maybe they are dropping all pretenses.

or maybe it is an animated movie

If it's like Civil War then it's Civil War done right. It actually makes sense and no one has gone insane to make it work yet.

It's a time travel story, or an extended What If. All three characters are as they appeared in the original Civil War in the image. Or it's a tie-in to Hickman's Secret Wars.

Now they are fighting to unregister, and they're pissed there is a cancellation fee.

Now that makes this kinda funny

Peter: ya'll better hold me back man! I'm broke as fuck, I can't afford this shit!
Tony: chill my nigga, c'mon ya know I got you I'm rich nigga"

bronson

Maybe Secret Wars is like, a bunch of past events running into each other? Maybe in a week we'll get like another teaser for Secret Invasion, and then Fear Itself, and then like, Acts of Vengeance or something.

Zombine

Banned

Peter: ya'll better hold me back man! I'm broke as fuck, I can't afford this shit!

This is Marvel, VJC. That would be what Luke Cage says to Black Panther if the quality control in Ghost Rider is anything to go by.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Holy shit :lol

Oh my god, when this isn't what's happening I will be so disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom