• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They've had bad events. They've had good events. Dismissing the mere notion of Marvel crossovers is fanboy drivel.

GAF is very DC-fanboyish. Look how they shittalking every week about 5.99$ Marvel comics and when Batman gets this price, nobody gives a shit.

But even then, they are still going to buy every event just to say afterwards how shitty it was, so they cant be that bad. Its just cool to bash Marvel.

And mission accomplished on the Civil War teaser. Everybody is talking about it and everybody will buy it ;)

Owzers

You can write off just about any Marvel event as derrivarive garbage that goes out like a dud and ends up hurting the line. At this point they can shove events right up their asses.

Last one i liked was Silent War and Marvel tried to ignore it for the most part. Crap after crap after crap, at least Infinity managed to be decent.

Messi

GAF is very DC-fanboyish. Look how they shittalking every week about 5.99$ Marvel comics and when Batman gets this price, nobody gives a shit.

But even then, they are still going to buy every event just to say afterwards how shitty it was, they cant be that bad. Its just cool to bash Marvel.

This is not true

SoilBreak

Banned
Marvel just announced next year's big summer event:
Civil_War_2015.jpeg

Why can't marvel LET ME LIVE?

JbYJPCg.gif

Is it not OK to hate what they do to solo books during events?

They don't do anything though. I remember Kelly Sue saying participation in an event is optional (she had an Original Sin story ready for Captain Marvel, but scrapped it after she was told she didn't have to tie in). If it were mandatory, all Marvel books that have Avengers or X-Men in them would be tying into Axis right now. We'd currently be reading about Hawkeye's inversion or some other bollocks (if the book came out on time obv). That's clearly not the case.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I so prefer DC to Marvel, but good is good regardless of company. And Civil War 2.0 is not good. Neither is Marvel doing event after event after event and announcing future events just as their latest one has started. I mean Axis is meant to be a game changer, but they're promoting Secret war as a game changer and now promoting Civil War in 2015 too...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There were like three posts on this subject on Batman. Nobody cared, everybody was like, yeah, its a little bit expensiver, but fuck it, I will buy it.

We have the Marvel Pricediscussion every week multiple times.

Guess Marvel needs to get on Batman's level.

Doesnt matter cause the Image boat is where the party is at anyways.

Owzers

Lol this one guy calling me a DC fanboy when just about everyone here knows Marvel dominates my pulls.

how do you look at a list of:

Civil War
World War Hulk
Siege
Secret Invasion
Shadowland
Fear Itself
Avengers Vs. X-Men
Battle of the Atom
Original SIn

and complain about quality. All them gems. Marvel Events exist for the sake of continuity, they are awful stories. When people recommend books to readers, no one recommends the garbage above, ever, unless they specifically ask about a title with interest already in it or events.

tim1138

Civil War
World War Hulk
Siege
Secret Invasion
Shadowland
Fear Itself
Avengers Vs. X-Men
Battle of the Atom
Original SIn

and complain about quality. All them gems.

Shouldn't have listed Fear Itself, now Birdie is gonna show up calling it the best event ever and how it's misunderstood and underrated.

I so prefer DC to Marvel, but good is good regardless of company. And Civil War 2.0 is not good. Neither is Marvel doing event after event after event and announcing future events just as their latest one has started. I mean Axis is meant to be a game changer, but they're promoting Secret war as a game changer and now promoting Civil War in 2015 too...

You realize you don't have to buy every event, right? I don't like Remender's corner of the 616 so I'm not buying anything Axis. I do like what Hickman's doing with Avengers and New Avengers so I will be buying TRO. Pretty simple.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Civil War
World War Hulk
Siege
Secret Invasion
Shadowland
Fear Itself
Avengers Vs. X-Men
Battle of the Atom
Original SIn

and complain about quality. All them gems.

If you opened up a septic tank, you'd find those comics in there. And that list doesnt even have Ultimatum

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Lol this one guy calling me a DC fanboy when just about everyone here knows Marvel dominates my pulls.

Where did I call you directly a fanboy? I am speaking from my overall feeling when I read the Comic OTs. And I dont have a problem with it, when the people here are more into DC than into someone other. But I cant understand why Marvel always gets called out for things they dont do and DC goes away with it (Batman price).
Or the Event thing. If you think that they are just releasing shitty events, why are you still buying it? I really dont wanna say thing like Fear Itself or Age of Ultron were good, but I always read here people that say that all of these events are shit and next week they buy the next one.
Sorry, I dont get it.

All this marvel event talk has made me realize I can't recall the last one I enjoyed. None of the event wide ones come to mind. I guess it was the DnA Annihilation events. But those always felt to be their own little niche that Marvel didn't care about...until this summer. messiah complex was a xmen event I really enjoyed. Age of Apocalypse in the 90s was awesome too.

But somehow I can think of many DC ones.

There were like three posts on this subject on Batman. Nobody cared, everybody was like, yeah, its a little bit expensiver, but fuck it, I will buy it.

That's Batman though, the flagship DC book. It's got a back up story and supposedly the paper is better or something, which is why it's more expensive. Also, to be fair to DC, they backed down on the price increase. They may have intended to always do that but that's getting into conspiracy theories.

There is a little "you'll buy it anyway" about a lot of Marvel's bigger books these days. The Big Two have gotten a little too addicted to social media buzz. The thing is though, it seems to work.

There's also the whole problem that a lot of comic fans (nobody here though) buy important books rather than better books. An AXIS will always outsell a Superior Foes because of this.

fauxtrot

Banned

You're glossing over the DC shit-talking that happens here, maybe because you agree with it?

Marvel's got a half dozen events planned for the next 9 months, so they deserve the hate they've gotten the last few pages. If DC did something similar, the backlash would probably be even worse.

Messi

Where did I call you directly a fanboy? I am speaking from my overall feeling when I read the Comic OTs. And I dont have a problem with it, when the people here are more into DC than into someone other. But I cant understand why Marvel always gets called out for things they dont do and DC goes away with it (Batman price).
Or the Event thing. If you think that they are just releasing shitty events, why are you still buying it? I really dont wanna say thing like Fear Itself or Age of Ultron were good, but I always read here people that say that all of these events are shit and next week they buy the next one.
Sorry, I dont get it.

You are painting with a very wide brush here. Many of us didn't even pick up sixes.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You're glossing over the DC shit-talking that happens here, maybe because you agree with it?

Marvel's got a half dozen events planned for the next 9 months, so they deserve the hate they've gotten the last few pages. If DC did something similar, the backlash would probably be even worse.

Exactly. Forever Evil was the first big multi month line wide story in years. And still got criticised because of delays. But it did shift the universe and create change. It wasn't undone immediately by hype for the next line wide event.

They've had bad events. They've had good events. Dismissing the mere notion of Marvel crossovers is fanboy drivel.

How is it fanboy drivel when Zombine just posted a bunch of Marvel books he likes? I think I read more Marvel than DC but I'm just not a fan of these big crossovers that they put out every few months now.

I know the Civil War teaser is probably just a thing for Secret Wars, but I don't like Civil War and neither do a lot of people. Secret Wars will probably be pretty good if Hickman is writing it but the pace that Marvel puts out these events makes it kind of hard to get excited and optimistic for each one.

Zombine

Banned

Civil War
World War Hulk
Siege
Secret Invasion
Shadowland
Fear Itself
Avengers Vs. X-Men
Battle of the Atom
Original SIn

and complain about quality. All them gems. Marvel Events exist for the sake of continuity, they are awful stories. When people recommend books to readers, no one recommends the garbage above, ever, unless they specifically ask about a title with interest already in it or events.

I never recommend any of that shit to people? World War Hulk? How about Planet Hulk which is miles better. Fear Itself? Garbage. Battle of The Atom? The lack of a good ending didn't effect me because I pull all of the X books anyways. House of M is the one I like and you left it off your list.

Also, next to Age of Ultron, Avengers vs X-Men is one of the worst events I have ever read.

I think Marvel and DC get their fair share of ribbing around here. Only Image and the like seems exempt. They don't have any big obvious targets like price gouging and variant covers and monthly event gimmicks or dumb creative teams on your favorite books/characters

Owzers

DC events took a nose dive with Flashpoint, a garbage excuse event in order to spring into the new 52 because you can't let all that money potential go to waste. Does DC even do events anymore? I thought it was all weekly titles.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Also, Avengers vs X-Men has changes still resonating through the Marvel universe. Age of Ultron, Infinity and Original Sin are already mostly forgotten.

Sandfox

There's a pretty decent gap between Axis and the next event and Marvel is hyping up Secret Wars because its for the 75th anniversary and they're making a lot of people thinking some sort of reboot is coming up.
All this marvel event talk has made me realize I can't recall the last one I enjoyed. None of the event wide ones come to mind. I guess it was the DnA Annihilation events. But those always felt to be their own little niche that Marvel didn't care about...until this summer. messiah complex was a xmen event I really enjoyed. Age of Apocalypse in the 90s was awesome too.

But somehow I can think of many DC ones.

Marvel has something good every once in a while.

Also, Avengers vs X-Men has changes still resonating through the Marvel universe. Age of Ultron, Infinity and Original Sin are already mostly forgotten.

I wouldn't really say that about Infinity and potentially Original Sin.

Shasta the Living Mountain needs to be put on a team book ASAP.

And regarding Marvel titles, I'd highly suggest Hawkeye and Waid's Daredevil. Both are fantastic and totally standalone. I don't have any idea what's happening with the Marvel universe either, but I really enjoy those two series. I feel like I've been reading other recent Marvel stuff as well, but maybe not... I do have Ellis's recent Moon Knight TPB coming in the mail which is supposed to be super great.

So, you kinda pegged the stuff I have kept in touch with.

Daredevil is my favourite Marvel character, I used to have a collected run from Miller to the end of vol 2. I drifted out partway through the initial Waid run. It was...fun, and old school, but for whatever reason it didn't keep me reading. I got the first two issues of the current volume, same thing - "hey, this is good," then I forgot about it and didn't feel motivated to keep buying. Maybe one day.

I read Moon Knight up through #7. Ellis' brief run is a great take on the character, I just wish he'd stuck around to do more with it. When his run ends it's like "enh? That's it?"

I know everybody loves Hawkeye and one day I'll get around to reading it, but I have pretty strongly disliked every Matt Fraction comic I've ever read outside of Five Fists of Science.

Did people really not like Siege? I never read it myself, but I'm curious.
It's a Bendis event so it was a mess. The enjoyable part was finally moving sentry off the board. God I hate hate hate what Bendis and Marvel did to that character. He never should have been put into the avengers or regular continuity. The first mini was a lot of fun being what it was. But nooo they couldn't just leave it at that.

I did think it was pretty telling what's going on in the UK reprints right now. The Avengers book is not printing any Hickman stuff at all, it's all Uncanny with some Young Avengers (Arena is in another book).

I can't help but feel, as much as I enjoy Hickman Avengers, that there's almost a traffic jam of creators all wanting to use the same characters. That would have meant having a main Avengers book with no Iron Man, Hawkeye or Black Widow though and I imagine that goes down like a lead balloon higher up the Disney food chain.

Vibranium

Banned
Ok, I'm calling it now. Marvel is doing a soft reboot of 616. Its the only way any of this shit make sense.

If it gets rid of crap like Fury Junior I'm ok with it.

My idea: Have the classic 616 Fury exist in the "new 616" from the 40's to 70's, covering his war and spy career. Then "modern Fury" will be exactly like the Ultimate SLJ one. That way you can have a cool Cold War spy book with the Nick we all know and love, but no Infinity Formula so he dies of natural causes. Sounds like a good compromise, so fans get a well-loved character and Marvel can sync the modern comics to the MCU. Bonus: Get Steranko to write the classic Fury series. Basically sort of like Fury MAX.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sorry if I pissed someone of, I didnt intended to do this. Its just kinda annoying how we got just this teaser image and without further information, everybody shits on it, while there are this many hints that its going to be some kind of multiverse thing for Secret Wars.

Honestly, beside the Nocenti Shittalk, I dont see that much DC hate. And even that I consider this more as a Running Gag at this point. But to my defense, I having a hard time catching up with this thread, while I am busy at work and because of this I am not able to read everything.

I can agree with this. The state of permanent events have to go. They can do one big Event every year, but not coming out of Original Sin directly into Axis, while Times Run Out is just a couple of weeks away.

That's Batman though, the flagship DC book. It's got a back up story and supposedly the paper is better or something, which is why it's more expensive. Also, to be fair to DC, they backed down on the price increase. They may have intended to always do that but that's getting into conspiracy theories.
OK, then I apologize, I didnt heard that they backed down. This is a good thing.

For the record, I liked World War Hulk.

Ouch.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom