• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
Now this is true, just give into Comixology you fuckers. Put all of BPRD and Hellboy up there

Seriously, fuck Dark Horse's digital stance right now... I will keep reading the stuff of theirs I want for free digitally until they put that shit up on Comixology. They're missing out on ~$20/mo from me right now that I'd be more than willing to spend if I could use something other than their shitty app.

kswiston

The Comics-GAF thread has started to lean to the DC side of things in the past year or two due to a shift in our most active members, but the rest of the GAF OT is pretty Marvel-centric.

Zombine

Banned
That's because miles is in it.

Spider Gwen<3

By the way, I'm not trying try to upset any of you that do enjoy events. That's awesome that you are a fan. I just personally can't stand them.

Even Walking Dead was hurt by its event pacing with All Out War.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I think Marvel and DC get their fair share of ribbing around here. Only Image and the like seems exempt. They don't have any big obvious targets like price gouging and variant covers and monthly event gimmicks or dumb creative teams on your favorite books/characters

i dont know why. the walking dead and invincible are some of their top books

Hey guys. I bought a Venom labbit today. Barnes & Noble had it on clearance for about $12. I can't believe list price was $50. kidrobot is insane.
41fD%2B4OHptL.jpg

Parallax

The Comics-GAF thread has started to lean to the DC side of things in the past year or two due to a shift in our most active members, but the rest of the GAF OT is pretty Marvel-centric.

i dont believe this. there have been a lot of marvel threads, but they are mostly filled with people that dont know whats going on, and people letting the world know why they dont read comics.

LiveFromKyoto, another good Marvel book that's self-contained is Superior Foes of Spider-Man. It's about a team of shitty supervillains trying to hit it big and it's a riot. Spider-Man's not involved in the book like, at all so you don't have to worry about trying to know what's going on with him.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I kinda feel bad now, sorry again... Really didnt want to piss someone off...

i dont believe this. there have been a lot of marvel threads, but they are mostly filled with people that dont know whats going on, and people letting the world know why they dont read comics.

Yeah, it feels like its mostly Movie crowd.

arkon

Honestly, beside the Nocenti Shittalk, I dont see that much DC hate. And even that I consider this more as a Running Gag at this point. But to my defense, I having a hard time catching up with this thread, while I am busy at work and because of this I am not able to read everything.
)

People were shit-talking the Zero Year arc of Batman when it was first announced without knowing too many details. That was way back.

It feels like only yesterday that GrandHarrier was saying there was an anti-DC bias in this place

edit:

this sums it up

Messi

Its been a while since we fought. Cheska will flip when she sees the mess we got into. That will be the real event.

Ding, we have a winner.

For the record, I'm okay with events. They are what they are. I don't read most of them anyway. I haven't read any of the main Original Sin series and I'm perfectly okay with that.

It is absolutely crazy how long they have gotten lately too. An event series should be 4-6 issues max, and released MONTHLY. Weekly event series like Future's End and almost-weeky nine-part series like AXIS are bad and frankly, anti-consumer. I like the basic idea behind DC's themed months, but it shouldn't be line-wide. 41 issues of anything in a month is overkill. I'm dreading DC's Blood Moon/Band-Aid.

LiveFromKyoto, another good Marvel book that's self-contained is Superior Foes of Spider-Man. It's about a team of shitty supervillains trying to hit it big and it's a riot. Spider-Man's not involved in the book like, at all so you don't have to worry about trying to know what's going on with him.

I liked Spider-Man when I was a kid, but I haven't really been able to get into him since. That sounds like it's up my alley though, I'll check it out.

I'll probably read the Hickman Avengers run as well, I was down with that guy since Nightly News & Pax Romana.

Zombine

Banned
Its been a while since we fought. Cheska will flip when she sees the mess we got into. That will be the real event.

I don't really know what happened. I'm not even sure who I quoted, and if it was proff I feel bad and that's why I clarified that I don't have a problem with what people enjoy, I just don't particularly enjoy events because they aren't special.

I don't really know what happened. I'm not even sure who I quoted, and if it was proff I feel bad and that's why I clarified that I don't have a problem with what people enjoy, I just don't particularly enjoy events because they aren't special.

Dammit, did I miss a fight?

Take a shot every time you read the phrase "Keep losing DC," It's a fun way to liven up your Friday night

I like how just the announcement of something called "Civil War" nearly caused one in this thread.

"What you have to understand, is that when creators talk, we listen! Mark Millar and Steve McNiven created an iconic event that shook the Marvel universe to its very core, and now they're remastering it for an entire generation of potential new readers.

If you're coming late to Civil War, or just want experience the buzz and excitement it caused in 2005, you are not gonna want to miss the 10th Anniversary Remaster Edition, coming this Summer, for $4.99."

kswiston

I don't know. Maybe it's because half the posts come from Slayven and Manmademan, but once you filter out the movie only fans and the "comics are stupid" people, it seems like almost every comic related thread is heavily Marvel focused. Axis, Spider-verse, and Time Runs Out all have their own threads with multiple pages. I don't remember seeing threads for Forever Evil, Zero Year, or that Superman Doomsday event.

Sandfox

I don't know. Maybe it's because half the posts come from Slayven and Manmademan, but once you filter out the movie only fans and the "comics are stupid" people, it seems like almost every comic related thread is heavily Marvel focused. Axis, Spider-verse, and Time Runs Out all have their own threads with multiple pages. I don't remember seeing threads for Forever Evil, Zero Year, or that Superman Doomsday event.

DC doesn't announce stuff as often and the Marvel threads seem to be more of a recent thing. There's nothing really stopping anyone from making a Future's End thread if they really wanted to.

Weekly event series like Future's End and almost-weeky nine-part series like AXIS are bad and frankly, anti-consumer.

I actually like the weekly format, it's more fun than waiting a month for a story fragment. If it's anti-consumer, then the entire Japanese comics industry is anti-consumer.

Futures End takes place 5 years in the future, it's not really a universe-altering YOU MUST READ THIS TO UNDERSTAND ANYTHING thing. I'm sure something will affect the main DCU in the end, but mostly I'm guessing they're just throwing a bunch of new takes on characters at the wall to see if anything sticks without have to commit to change or rely on those characters floating their own book out of the gate.

Like, if people like female Firestorm, find an excuse to make her happen in the main DCU & keep her. If not, forget it ever happened. The original 52 was what got Booster Gold his series.

Parallax

once you filter out those groups, all youre really left with are people asking for recommendations.

Was it a full-length debate team competition between Cap and Iron Man fans?

Nah. It's done by GraphicAudio, they have done a bunch of Marvel and DC adaptations.

The simple answer to that is that nobody cared enough, or had the mad Photoshop skillz, or wanted to shill it to start a thread for those events. I could have sworn there was a Trinity War OT though.

Owzers

Dropped invincible after the virtumite war. Worth catching up?

If you liked it and still dropped it, sure. If you didn't like it I wouldn't say it has gotten exponentially better, but the latest arcs have been a bit better.

My problem with weeklies is it feels like an automatic green-light to tell a story as slowly as possible.

I actually like the weekly format, it's more fun than waiting a month for a story fragment. If it's anti-consumer, then the entire Japanese comics industry is anti-consumer.

Aren't most Japanese comics anthology format? There isn't like, "One Piece Weekly" or anything (I don't read manga, although I have friends who do)? I've no problem with anthologies, I love 2000 AD for instance. I'm guessing those same books aren't $4 for 20 pages either.

The simple answer to that is that nobody cared enough, or had the mad Photoshop skillz, or wanted to shill it to start a thread for those events. I could have sworn there was a Trinity War OT though.

Most of the MARVEL SHOCKER! OT threads come from the same handful of person/s who very clearly have a preference for things Marvel and also tend to make a lot of threads in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom