• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
vtjDDOG.jpg

I don't get it.

Boogiepop

Man, here's hoping her the seeming revival of the Spider-Girl universe stuff via Spiderverse and Secret Wars or whatever will lead to a decent reprint of her series, like how they started putting out classic 2099 again recently after bringing him back. Also, literally every time my friend or I bring her up it's with the phrase "What ever happened to the daughter of Spider-man?" because for some reason the title of that trade really stuck out in our mind, I guess.

Oh, and while I'm spouting a wish list: I'd really like some kind of essential or omnibus or something for What If? stuff. I've always been curious about those but I've actually never read one, seem like they'd be interesting but like everything but the most recent ones seem to be out of print.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just read the first story from Criminal, "Coward," in basically one sitting. That was some great stuff. It's not my all-time favorite comic yet, but it was definitely engrossing.
Also, even though I've enjoyed some other comics more (definitely not to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy that story), very few comics had that amazing sense of quality that Criminal has. It's just really well done all around.
The character work was fantastic. I genuinely was looking forward to learning more about the characters and spending more time with them.

It only two and a half years, but my proselytizing is finally paying off.

Solely because of your constant praise, I ordered the OHC and it should be arriving tomorrow. I think it'll be the next thing I read after Criminal. Looking forward to it!

kswiston

So, first a Civil War revisit, and now the Cap 3 news. Marvel has gone bonkers and I am scared.

Well it's pretty clear that Marvel is now copying DC with Crisis Secret Wars and their Jeff Lemire Hawkeye book, so the writing is on the wall for a Nu52 style reboot. Naturally, in order to get that Nu52 experience right, they are going to bring back the biggest creators for 15 years ago to write all their books. Mark Millar and Chuck Austen will get 4 titles a piece. Probably featuring your favourite characters.

fauxtrot

Banned
Well it's pretty clear that Marvel is now copying DC with Crisis Secret Wars and their Jeff Lemire Hawkeye book, so the writing is on the wall for a Nu52 style reboot. Naturally, in order to get that Nu52 experience right, they are going to bring back the biggest creators for 15 years ago to write all their books. Mark Millar and Chuck Austen will get 4 titles a piece. Probably featuring your favourite characters.

I hate you.

<3

Nudull

Banned

Will...will Kamala be safe? ;_;

Crisis (1985) copied Secret Wars (1984).
Marvel NOW (2012) copied New 52 (2011).

Boogiepop

So, for what it's worth, Weekly Shonen Jump (the American version of Shonen Jump, you get a digital issue weekly with around 200 pages of manga) is $20 for a year ($6 off) with the coupon code "wsjnycc2014". I took the opportunity to bump up my subscription to carry me to early 2016 instead of early 2015.

Also, apparently Naruto is ending in 5 weeks, so the "it's ending soon" I've been telling people for like a year now before it twisted all over the place is actually finally coming to fruition.

I don't trust that Civil War image at all, I mean a white Captain America? a red and gold Iron Man? If anything it will probably be a decompressed retelling like the Clone Saga a few years ago.

Edit:
So, for what it's worth, Weekly Shonen Jump (the American version of Shonen Jump, you get a digital issue weekly with around 200 pages of manga) is $20 for a year ($6 off) with the coupon code "wsjnycc2014". I took the opportunity to bump up my subscription to carry me to early 2016 instead of early 2015.

Also, apparently Naruto is ending in 5 weeks, so the "it's ending soon" I've been telling people for like a year now before it twisted all over the place is actually finally coming to fruition.

Probably a dumb question but can you read past issues?

I don't think I will ever get Civil War. It never seemed like a very interesting concept to me.

Really? I thought the concept was fantastic. It's the only logical extension of the post-9/11 surveillance state in the superhero world. Look at the effect that two buildings coming down had. Now look at Marvel where cities get trashed every month. It was an area that needed exploring.

And it gave them an event that wasn't "giant seemingly unstoppable enemy X is going to destroy the world and/or universe." It gave them an excuse to have heroes fighting outside the usual "it's hypnosis" or "all a big misunderstanding."

And best of all, it presented a conflict without an easy answer. It seems easy to side with the freedom/Captain America side - but if this were real life and all these people were blowing up buildings all the time, would you really?

My only issues with the series were the anticlimax - Captain America getting shot in his own book robbed the series of a proper conclusion. And the clone Thor strikes me as a thing that shouldn't have been able to happen. The idea was totally out of character to begin with, but if those guys can just manufacture gods it kind of throws everything other problem they face into weird relief.

Really? I thought the concept was fantastic. It's the only logical extension of the post-9/11 surveillance state in the superhero world. Look at the effect that two buildings coming down had. Now look at Marvel where cities get trashed every month. It was an area that needed exploring.

And it gave them an event that wasn't "giant seemingly unstoppable enemy X is going to destroy the world and/or universe." It gave them an excuse to have heroes fighting outside the usual "it's hypnosis" or "all a big misunderstanding."

And best of all, it presented a conflict without an easy answer. It seems easy to side with the freedom/Captain America side - but if this were real life and all these people were blowing up buildings all the time, would you really?

My only issues with the series were the anticlimax - Captain America getting shot in his own book robbed the series of a proper conclusion. And the clone Thor strikes me as a thing that shouldn't have been able to happen. The idea was totally out of character to begin with, but if those guys can just manufacture gods it kind of throws everything other problem they face into weird relief.

Yes. All of this. Smart man.

fauxtrot

Banned
Marvel has been on a roll lately, but you can see they're reaching John Hammond levels of hubris and I just know these next few years are going to be entertaining as hell to watch, boom or bust.

Nudull

Banned
I'd have Scott and Logan finally settle their frustrations for good. In a locked motel room. Naked. For 30 straight pages.

I will not apologize.

Messi

Babs Tarr posted a commission she did at NYCC (apparently it was the only one) it's a sketch cover of Batgirl and Harley being best buds :). It's adorable.

Boogiepop

Probably a dumb question but can you read past issues?

I'm actually not super familiar with the process of purchasing back issues, since I've been a subscriber since waaaaaay back in the print days up through present, but it looks like you can at least buy some of them here: http://www.vizmanga.com/weekly-shonen-jump/signup for a buck a pop. And it looks like there's a free sampler of sorts with like 450 pages or so. And of course you can purchase whole volumes of series if you're looking at any in particular like you'd do with print.

I'm reading All New X-Men #1.

Brian Michael Bendis Drinking Game:

1. Pick a Bendis comic. Any one will do.

2. Do a shot every time a character, (male or female, young or old, doesn't matter) begins a sentence with "The thing is..."

3. Now you are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom