• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't finish it but I enjoyed what I read. The Allreds did some great work on that book.

I liked it. Thought I'd hate it because Fraction but it was good.

I rather liked FF, even if Fraction didn't even finish the damn thing

Glad to hear positive stuff, will buy both volumes. Haven't bought any comics in a long time.

stay the fuck away from his Fantastic Four book

Got i--

I heard that you also have to read Fractions Fantastic Four to get the whole story.

Now what?

frye

Yeah, I actually kind of liked F4 at the beginning (partly due to Bagley looking hella like Alan Davis for a while which was fascinating) but what a disaster that turned out to be.

Would it be okay if I got the first TPB of Fantastic Four, on the basis that it provides the backstory of and contains the first few issues of FF?

The first trade bundles them together iirc

Yeah, I actually kind of liked F4 at the beginning (partly due to Bagley looking hella like Alan Davis for a while which was fascinating)

those Mark Farmer inks trick you into thinking you're not lookin' at Bagley artwork momentarily. The Reed in the middle panel is hella Davis

2654620-fantasticfour_1_preview3.jpeg

Only missed opportunity of NYCC is that we didn't get any more NuHuman books. Dante and Medusa were supposed to get spinoffs. Matt Farction ruined this brand.

So aside from a few out of place Bendisisms and Jean Grey talking like a 28 year old, All New X-Men is kind of amazing through the first few issues. Like, outside of that Joss Whedon story this might be the first thing to really nail the feel of X-Men for me since the Byrne Claremont stuff.

I've tried to get back into X-Men so many times over the years because it's such a core book (for a good while it was the book in comics) but found it off-putting on some level or other. Even Morrison's run, while good, felt like some other thing.

But this - it hits the emotional beats. He knows when to let his artist do the talking, for the most part. I feel the intimacy between the characters, and their world is defined by each other, not the usual assembly line of paramilitary mutie haters. And the art is about as perfect as I could ask for.

I stayed up until 4am like a dumbass reading it because I couldn't put it down. I look forward to getting deeper into the series.

Okay, so I just finished Thanos Imperative... I really liked it. It kind of felt like the ending of the whole Cosmic Marvel saga that started with Annihilation. And from what I understand, I guess it kind of is. I'm going to go ahead and read Annihilators next, but what comes after that? I see that the Marvel Now GotG and Nova started about a year (Jan 13) after Annihilators ended (Nov 11)... was there just no Cosmic Marvel anything going on in 2012?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Okay, so I just finished Thanos Imperative... I really liked it. It kind of felt like the ending of the whole Cosmic Marvel saga that started with Annihilation. And from what I understand, I guess it kind of is. I'm going to go ahead and read Annihilators next, but what comes after that? I see that the Marvel Now GotG and Nova started about a year (Jan 13) after Annihilators ended (Nov 11)... was there just no Cosmic Marvel anything going on in 2012?

Cosmic marvel withered to pretty much nothing after Abnett and Lanning parted ways. Bendis is running GOTG but it's really really bad.

I think Starlord has a standalone book now as well, though I haven't looked into it yet.

Im going to put in another order this Friday from IST (mainly for the Death of The Family mask set for Halloween)
But I want to get some "non super hero" books,,Something deep and will get ya thinkin type books . One of my favorites is Strange Attractors(everyone should get this,, just because).

I keep seeing The Incal on here that looks cool.
Books that I keep seeing online are:
Maus
Black Hole
Blacksad
Love and Rockets
Persepolis
From Hell
Blankets

Any recommendations folks?

Cosmic marvel withered to pretty much nothing after Abnett and Lanning parted ways. Bendis is running GOTG but it's really really bad.

I think Starlord has a standalone book now as well, though I haven't looked into it yet.

Starlord has an ongoing and so does Rocket Raccoon. I haven't read Starlord but RR's been fun and it's gorgeous. Gamora is getting an ongoing as well.

Abnett is writing Guardians 3000 which just launched recently. The first issue was great.

So aside from a few out of place Bendisisms and Jean Grey talking like a 28 year old, All New X-Men is kind of amazing through the first few issues. Like, outside of that Joss Whedon story this might be the first thing to really nail the feel of X-Men for me since the Byrne Claremont stuff.

I've tried to get back into X-Men so many times over the years because it's such a core book (for a good while it was the book in comics) but found it off-putting on some level or other. Even Morrison's run, while good, felt like some other thing.

But this - it hits the emotional beats. He knows when to let his artist do the talking, for the most part. I feel the intimacy between the characters, and their world is defined by each other, not the usual assembly line of paramilitary mutie haters. And the art is about as perfect as I could ask for.

I stayed up until 4am like a dumbass reading it because I couldn't put it down. I look forward to getting deeper into the series.

All-New X-Men, IMO, just gets better as it goes. I'm not as hot on his Uncanny X-Men but I think you're right about ANXM. It has some great character moments, especially involving Young Jean who is an extremely compelling character herself.

Issue #25 is fucking amazing by the way you should look forward to it.

Bummer! Oh well, I guess I'll read the new stuff, but man that was a good run i just finished.

Starlord has an ongoing and so does Rocket Raccoon. I haven't read Starlord but RR's been fun and it's gorgeous. Gamora is getting an ongoing as well.

Abnett is writing Guardians 3000 which just launched recently. The first issue was great.

Oh yeah? Is G3000 just what it sounds like, I presume? Charlie 27, Starhawk, Yondu, etc? EDIT: Ah, it sure is! Cool!

Zombine

Banned
Im going to put in another order this Friday from IST (mainly for the Death of The Family mask set for Halloween)
But I want to get some "non super hero" books,,Something deep and will get ya thinkin type books . One of my favorites is Strange Attractors(everyone should get this,, just because).

Maus
Black Hole
Blacksad
Love and Rockets
Persepolis
From Hell
Blankets

Blacksad was great even if Guarnido is a dick.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Maus
Black Hole
Blacksad
Love and Rockets
Persepolis
From Hell
Blankets

The Incal was fucking dope and I loved it. Highly recommending that, Maus was also a harrowing read.

All-New X-Men, IMO, just gets better as it goes. I'm not as hot on his Uncanny X-Men but I think you're right about ANXM. It has some great character moments, especially involving Young Jean who is an extremely compelling character herself.

Issue #25 is fucking amazing by the way you should look forward to it.

Agreed, ANXM is an insanely good book that keeps getting better. It's the only Xbook I would recommend to anyone without hesitation.

Edit: regarding current cosmic Marvel...I didn't think Bendis GotG was all that bad until after the Trial of Jean Grey, then it just seemed to lose its way, though it might be on the mend. Trial is one hell of a great crossover. Rocket Raccoon is a lot of fun...a LOT of fun. So is the new Nova...how can you go wrong with a Beta Ray Bill arc, everybody should read at least those issues. Starlord, I thought, was trash...ignore that one. Guardians 3000 I don't really know what to make of yet.

To bad that Scottie Young leaves the series so soon :(

WAT

NO :(

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I just read the second story in Criminal in a single sitting. It's incredibly engrossing. Sean Phillips' art is really perfect, too, since it sets the mood and communicates everything perfectly, but is simple enough so that your eye doesn't spend too long taking in details and can read it quickly, making it a pretty fast-paced read.

Maus
Black Hole
Blacksad
Love and Rockets
Persepolis
From Hell
Blankets

I've only read Black Hole from that list (and I only managed to read half of it) and it was the most bizarre book I have ever read. It really gave me the heebie jeebies.
Definitely unique though. And I have to say I have oddly fond memories of it, just because of its sheer weirdness.

I feel like I should have a recommendation for you for a "deep and will get ya thinkin" type book, but I can't remember any off the top of my head. Sorry for being so unhelpful. Haha

All I remember hearing about is that someone will be coming in to do fill-in issues on art... is he permanently giving up art duties now too?

I hope you're in the right here, I can handle Ellis leaving Moon Knight so quickly, but Skottie Young leaving Rocket Raccon after a handful of issues? That would be intolerable.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
All I remember hearing about is that someone will be coming in to do fill-in issues on art... is he permanently giving up art duties now too?
I only read here that Scottie Young is to sick to write Issues on shedule and thats why he had to give the book up.
When he stays on the book, it would be great news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom