• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I'm not sure if this has ever been mentioned in any of the previous comics threads, but I found this documentary on YouTube from 1987 called, "The Masters of Comic Book Art - The Heroes Behind the Pages". It's hosted by Harlan Ellison and features interviews with Will Eisner, Harvey Kurtzman, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Neal Adams, Berni Wrightson, Moebius, Frank Miller, Dave Sim, and Art Spiegelman.

It's pretty great, it only slides off the rails a bit when Ditko (who is, unsurprisingly, the only one not shown on camera) begins to ramble on and on about Ayn Rand and whateverthefuck Mr. A is all about. But then it transitions to the Neal Adams interview and sanity is restored.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Is Scud still in print?

And good lord at those Burnham pages, beautiful stuff.

Sheeeeit. Just checked a bunch of sites and I guess not. Weird, I feel like I just saw it at my comic shop.

fauxtrot

Banned
3309912-2509276_700b.jpg

;)

I'm not sure if this has ever been mentioned in any of the previous comics threads, but I found this documentary on YouTube from 1987 called, "The Masters of Comic Book Art - The Heroes Behind the Pages". It's hosted by Harlan Ellison and features interviews with Will Eisner, Harvey Kurtzman, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Neal Adams, Berni Wrightson, Moebius, Frank Miller, Dave Sim, and Art Spiegelman.

It's pretty great, it only slides off the rails a bit when Ditko (who is, unsurprisingly, the only one not shown on camera) begins to ramble on and on about Ayn Rand and whateverthefuck Mr. A is all about. But then it transitions to the Neal Adams interview and sanity is restored.

You know you're crazy when Neal Adams looks completely sane in comparison.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
You know you're crazy when Neal Adams looks completely sane in comparison.

Hahaha. I had the exact same thought.

I really hope I find Batman: Odyssey at the library someday. I need to experience it for myself.

Man oh man, Identity Crisis. Just finished. What a terrible ending. The set up to get to that ending was amazing. The build up was fantastic. Then the reveal and I was like
"it was just some crazy bitch, seriously?"

I can't believe it turned into generic soap opera material. Having said that, it was entertaining, the build up was so well written. The characters were awesome. It's a shame it ended like it did. Book was a 9 up until that reveal. Then it went to a 4. Giving this overall a 6/10.

Man oh man, Identity Crisis. Just finished. What a terrible ending. The set up to get to that ending was amazing. The build up was fantastic. Then the reveal and I was like
"it was just some crazy bitch, seriously?"

I can't believe it turned into generic soap opera material. Having said that, it was entertaining, the build up was so well written. The characters were awesome. It's a shame it ended like it did. Book was a 9 up until that reveal. Then it went to a 4. Giving this overall a 6/10.

What makes the second half especially bad was the very promising set up before it.

Kipp

Just got my IST order in!
Manhattan Projects OHC, The Auteur, Moon Knight, and Hellboy: The First 20 Years.
I'm super excited for all of them. And I've been able to read a bunch of comics the past few days, so if that keeps up, I should actually be able to read these new books soon, too! So that's nice.
Also worth noting: The binding in the Manhattan Projects OHC is pretty solid. Not quite Hawkeye OHC level, but definitely much better than DC's OHCs. I'm really pleased about that, since I plan to buy a ton of Image OHCs in the coming years.

tim1138

Just got my IST order in!
Manhattan Projects OHC, The Auteur, Moon Knight, and Hellboy: The First 20 Years.
I'm super excited for all of them. And I've been able to read a bunch of comics the past few days, so if that keeps up, I should actually be able to read these new books soon, too! So that's nice.
Also worth noting: The binding in the Manhattan Projects OHC is pretty solid. Not quite Hawkeye OHC level, but definitely much better than DC's OHCs. I'm really pleased about that, since I plan to buy a ton of Image OHCs in the coming years.

Can you post some pictures of the Manhattan Projects HC? I don't plan on triple dipping, but I'd love to see what it looks like.

Kipp

Can you post some pictures of the Manhattan Projects HC? I don't plan on triple dipping, but I'd love to see what it looks like.

Sure thing! Give me one second.

I just started Manhattan Projects myself! Only a couple of issues in and it's pretty great so far.

Nice! I plan to start it after I finish Criminal I think. That should only take a few more days at the rate I've been reading it so far.

FoneBone

Marvel just sent out another teaser for next summer:

DXleq4z.jpg

I guess there'll be more of these this week. Expecting all of them to be tied to Secret Wars.

tim1138

I guess some of you did read that stupidly long post I wrote up about Manhattan Projects a couple months back. I'm obviously biased because it's my favorite monthly book, but I think it's the best thing Hickman is currently putting out.

I guess some of you did read that stupidly long post I wrote up about Manhattan Projects a couple months back. I'm obviously biased because it's my favorite monthly book, but I think it's the best thing Hickman is currently putting out.

Sure did...thanks for the nudge! Can't wait to discuss it. :)

Kipp

that's neat and all, but where is the dust jacket?

Another reason why Image is the best publisher: No dust jackets.

I hate dust jackets so much, but I can't just go and throw away a dust jacket, so I absolutely love it when books don't come with them.

Messi

I hate dust jackets so much, but I can't just go and throw away a dust jacket, so I absolutely love it when books don't come with them.

I love images hardcovers and trades. Marvel hardcovers are wonderful at the moment.

frye

Cyclops's goofy crossed arm gang sign is still one of my favourite dumb things possibly in the history of comics

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Edit: IST updated!

Hahaha. Is it just me or did they totally have the SIXISIXISIXISIXISIXIS banner on the top and bottom of the first page but then removed it and replaced it with solid brown because of the reaction from the first issue?

Shoudnt they ve been printed yet before the last Issue released?
Ich meine sogar, dass in der digitalen Version die Banner nicht drin waren.

Edit: Sorry, switched languages while posting :D I mean, I think the banners werent in the digital copy, too. But I can be wrong.

fauxtrot

Banned

Hahaha. Is it just me or did they totally have the SIXISIXISIXISIXISIXIS banner on the top and bottom of the first page but then removed it and replaced it with solid brown because of the reaction from the first issue?

Oh. My. God.

I so hope this is the case! Too funny.

Shoudnt they ve been printed yet before the last Issue released?
Ich meine sogar, dass in der digitalen Version die Banner nicht drin waren.

You and your logic just had to come in and ruin all our fun!

I love images hardcovers and trades. Marvel hardcovers are wonderful at the moment.

Fuck all dust jackets forever.

Cyclops's goofy crossed arm gang sign is still one of my favourite dumb things possibly in the history of comics

Isn't that the same shit Wonder Woman has been illustrated doing since time began?

There are a few things I want, but I'm waiting until next week for dat Alias omnibus. We needs it, our preciousssss.

Kipp

It's a shame all the releases I want that come out this month are spread out in separate weeks. I'd like to grab the Batman '66 collections at half off (well, I'd probably actually just get the volume 2 hardcover at half off and pick up the first hardcover at the normal discount rather than getting the new TPB version), but I don't want to put together an order just for those.
Oh well. I'll just spend $1.50 or whatever more and put them in another order later I suppose.

Speaking of Batman '66 though, is anyone here still reading it? Has the quality stayed pretty consistent?

From the previews, I absolutely love the art and the writing looks pretty fun and enjoyable.

Also, the Allred covers are like 50% of the reason why I really want to read Batman '66. The cover for Volume 2 that just came out is so good:

There are a few things I want, but I'm waiting until next week for dat Alias omnibus. We needs it, our preciousssss.

Yep. That's my plan as well.

fauxtrot

Banned

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

My man!

Fuck dust jackets. Ugly, inconvenient wastes. I hate them on everything, comics, novels, etc. They honestly do more to deter me from buying hardcovers than the price. Dark Horse and Image are amazing for eschewing them.

That Manhattan Projects book is pretty. I may have to doubledip on my trades.

MG310

I feel like the Fantastic Four has been in various states of dead and/or consisting of characters who are not the Fantastic Four for about 5 years now.

Fox is going to put out their 3rd bad Fantastic Four movie and then things will change and they'll be back as a group. Personally I'd rather see them get used in other books as individuals for a while.

Get Ben Grimm in that Spider-Man & The X-Men book with the freaky Jean Grey school kids.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/fantastic-four-comics-canceled-marvel.html?mid=facebook_vulture

lol man this is some bullshit

it's been cancelled three times already, son

We need a nickname for people that believe in the comics version of kayfabe... like this dude and others who takes Marvel's word whenever they say someone's being killed off and never coming back, or when they claim an event will "change the Marvel universe forever".

You can't tell me this time doesn't smell different though. They won't completely kill off the characters, because they need to prevent the copyright from lapsing. But there's enough smoke out there to make it seem like they're definitely going to bury the property until further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom