• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Do people actually read their books with the dustjacket on them? I've never ever read a book with the dustjacket still on. I feel like it would get mangled immediately.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Dust jackets were designed in a world where people never dusted anything. They were too busy dying of plague and stuff. Dust jackets are now obsolete.

Well, this was before we had dust-repellent paper.

original.jpg

Owzers

Do people actually read their books with the dustjacket on them? I've never ever read a book with the dustjacket still on. I feel like it would get mangled immediately.

I read them with the dust jacket on, it suffers no harm and keeps my book safe from my dusty fingers.

I love dust jackets. It's like your books can have two covers at the same time. HC + dust jacket + slipcase = best edition.

I take them off while reading, they go back on when the books go on the shelf.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The only graphic novel I have with a dust jacket is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Black Dossier. I have a few hardcover books with jackets though, I usually take them off while reading.

Kipp

As someone who worries too much about keeping everything I own in pristine shape, dustjackets are the bane of my existence. There are a million ways to get them looking messed up.

Also the fact that every time I read a book and take the dustjacket off, the dustjacket decides to bend and deform while it's off the book. Right now my X-Statix dustjacket is bending outwards on the top and bottom and it's annoying.

One day I'm going to take the dustjackets off of all my books and burn them.
But I won't. Because I want to have the option to sell books. And if I burn the dustjacket, it would automatically lose like half of its resale value.

Edit: That just gave me an idea... I should search Ebay for comics without the dustjacket. I could probably get some good deals.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Near the end of the first volume of Bendis Daredevil, I'm really loving it. Maleev's art is just perfect for this. Now at the part where
Matt's defending White Tiger.
Still have a lot left, but I'm burning through the issues quickly, it's a really addictive read.

Makes me want to re-read all the Miller stuff as well.

Go digital, never have to worry about dust jackets or Official Reading Positions or books taking up spaces or waiting for for them to come out and praying for IST to deliver before the weekend again

Go digital, never have to worry about dust jackets or Official Reading Positions or books taking up spaces or waiting for for them to come out and praying for IST to deliver before the weekend again

I'm never going digital but I am curious whether there is some sort of consensus best device for digital. iPad Air?

Kipp

No, no... I love my collected editions too much. Those things you listed are all nice problems to have.

Kipp

So many great little Mignola-related bits here @ Bleeding Cool. Including this great Frankenstein Underground teaser:

I was optimistically hoping this 13 Days of Hellboy thing would involve a Hellboy sale at some point.

If there wasn't already so much stuff that I was planning to buy this month, I'd order more Library Editions for sure.
Although... I think the last Tuesday of October, unless there are releases I'm forgetting about, I'll be $20 short of hitting the $50 for free shipping, so that would probably be the perfect time to order another Hellboy Library Edition.

Owzers

i only like dust jackets because i don't want to leave finger smudges on the trade cover like i sometimes do when reading comics with black cover pages and weird paper quality that picks up marks easily. Luckily most trades don't use crap material.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Once you go digital you never go back.

Never, you digital traitors!

Matter of fact, I picked up three of my favorite Doom Patrol original floppies this past weekend. Such a great feeling to have them on hand.

frye

Hardback collections still have a special place in my heart but floppies are annoying, especially since I don't even bag and board that crap.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Shit, the digital front is strong today.

Don't y'all fellas miss going to the shop every Wednesday though? I don't even like my shop, but I still enjoy the ritual.

Hardback collections still have a special place in my heart but floppies are annoying, especially since I don't even bag and board that crap.
You're a damn monster, frye.

frye

They just lay in a pile. Basically the same, really

For real tho, I actually pick up some stuff in the store, it's just not a weekly thing for me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Digital is nice and I will sometimes bite when there's a good comixology sale, but for comics in particular nothing beats a physical copy.

tim1138

Don't y'all fellas miss going to the shop every Wednesday though? I don't even like my shop, but I still enjoy the ritual.

You're a damn monster, frye.

I have a couple of good shops around me, but the last thing I wanna do when I get home from work on Wednesdays is go right back out. With digital I buy all my shit in the morning and can start reading on the bus on my way in and have whatever is left to read on my lunch break.

Plus stuff just looks better digitally. You should see what Annihilator looks like on a high resolution screen, god damn.

Read the respective first trades of Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. and Saga today. Great stuff, both of them.

And my Warren Ellis Moon Knight trade arrived. Gonna read that tomorrow.

Nudull

Banned

I would've kept buying digital if Amazon hadn't locked out in-app Comixology purchases on iOS.

Filthy Slug

I have a couple of good shops around me, but the last thing I wanna do when I get home from work on Wednesdays is go right back out. With digital I buy all my shit in the morning and can start reading on the bus on my way in and have whatever is left to read on my lunch break.

Plus stuff just looks better digitally. You should see what Annihilator looks like on a high resolution screen, god damn.

Dammit, tim. And Frazer is a fully digital artist, so I know that book looks better in digital.

I started digital and then found a shop. I'm doing this backwards.

ReAxion, you're doing this the right way. When the machines turn on them, what will they have?

MG310

I'll probably drop floppies for the most part when I get a Surface or IPad...probably Surface since I'll probably need to replace a laptop by then.

I enjoy them but just don't have the space to store a lot of them. Ebay is a hassle so I usually end up dumping a big box off at Goodwill twice a year.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Digital sounds nice in theory, but I can't get over the fact that you're tying your collection to technology. I can justify it with music, since that really always requires some form of tech. But to splurge on a sizable tablet that might have a lifespan of 2-4 years... I feel like that's a pricey kind of upkeep and a hefty commitment to digital. I'm not ready.

i only like dust jackets because i don't want to leave finger smudges on the trade cover like i sometimes do when reading comics with black cover pages and weird paper quality that picks up marks easily. Luckily most trades don't use crap material.

In all seriousness, wash your hands before you pick up a book. You'll get rid of most of the oils that might make marks.

Digital for life here. I have several gigabytes of digital comics on my iPad at any given time. I could wax poetic about them but that would be pretty boring

The only time I'd ever buy a hardcover is for my wife, because I can't get her into difital comics no matter what I do. Her birthday is coming up too. This year she's getting The Wake or All-New X-Men.

I don't thInk I'll ever buy a floppy again. My daughter thinks they're the craziest things; she'll see them in bookstores and it boggles her mind that anyone would consume comics in this fashion

Digital sounds nice in theory, but I can't get over the fact that you're tying your collection to technology. I can justify it with music, since that really always requires some form of tech. But to splurge on a sizable tablet that might have a lifespan of 2-4 years... I feel like that's a pricey kind of upkeep and a hefty commitment to digital. I'm not ready.

Yeah, it was my decision to purchase an iPad4 that led to my revived comics hobby, not the other way around. If I didn't need one for other things it never would have happened.

Hell no, I throw them away immediately. I used to keep them all in a file until I realized how silly that was

Kipp

The only time I'd ever buy a hardcover is for my wife, because I can't get her into difital comics no matter what I do. Her birthday is coming up too. This year she's getting The Wake or All-New X-Men.

I totally forgot The Wake was coming out! And of course it's coming out November 4th... So if I want to get it for 50% off, I'll have to make an IST order for the third week in a row. Which would be like 5 orders in about 6 weeks. Eek.

Hell no, I throw them away immediately. I used to keep them all in a file until I realized how silly that was

You're a better man than I. I really wish I could bring myself to do that.

Owzers

In all seriousness, wash your hands before you pick up a book. You'll get rid of most of the oils that might make marks.

Oh , i do. But for floppy comics with certain paperstock and black covers, if i hold it too long in one area it can leave a smudge.

ReAxion

ReAxion, you're doing this the right way. When the machines turn on them, what will they have?

I will have a small collection of nice books and trades to beat back my machine attackers, and to share with survivors, while fondly recalling the books I only had digitally. Perhaps I can construct a lean-to out of my small collection of floppies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom