• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Squire

Banned
I really wanted Guy Pearce to play a really suave, high society Riddler. Like he wears the green suit and a domino mask and everything.

Man, I miss you guys.

Omg. Absolute Preacher!? How may volumes will it be and what price point?
Even though it's one of my top 3 all-time favorite runs, I'm guessing I won't get it though. I really like the TPBs. They're great quality and super readable. Plus, as much as I do like Dillon, I don't necessarily need to see his art in massive oversized-ness.

If they stretched Transmetropolitan to 4 volumes (which is looking more and more likely), Preacher should be 4 volumes too. So about $62.5 x 4 if you buy from IST in week 1.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
If they stretched Transmetropolitan to 4 volumes (which is looking more and more likely), Preacher should be 4 volumes too. So about $62.5 x 4 if you buy from IST in week 1.

Yeah, if it's the same deal as Transmetropolitan, I'll definitely be passing. It'd have to be really good value Absolute Editions for me to want to replace my TPBs. Those TPBs have the most silky smooth covers... And they're the ideal 400-ish page size.

I've had a week, both in the worst and best ways. I'm doing well, though.

Well I hope the good out-weighed the bad and things are back to a calmer pace for you now.
Things have been a bit rough on my end as of late and tomorrow is probably gonna be pretty awful, but after that I think things will be looking up, so here's hoping.

Owzers

Halo hype is real right now. I haven't felt like this since Reach.

Guess what? Halo 5 ISN"T REAL! There is no Halo 5, it's just what Microsoft tells kids so they buy their new system. All you're going to get is a digital code for the new assassin's creed inside the box and a note saying " it's all your fault"

Bii

I haven't been hyped for a Halo game since 3. Is bungie.net still a thing where I can check my stats from Halo 2? Might make a good nostalgic trip for me as I was playing a shit ton back then.

Read Low #10. It won't be back until January. My pull list is looking pretty slim the next few months; maybe I'll add in some ANAD Marvel books.

Owzers

I know Star Wars gets a lot of love here but i just read #1 on MU and it was great, it felt star warsy to me in that it captured the adventurous tone and character interaction that i liked from the original movies. That and Squirrel Girl are my favorite MU reads so far.

Well I hope the good out-weighed the bad and things are back to a calmer pace for you now.
Things have been a bit rough on my end as of late and tomorrow is probably gonna be pretty awful, but after that I think things will be looking up, so here's hoping.

Definitely far outweighed by good.

Good luck man. I hope things turn out well for you.

Also, I picked up the missing Preacher volumes in this latest CMX sale. I was just reading some. Hopefully I can get back in it and finish it in a somewhat timely pace.

PsychBat!

Banned
Guess what? Halo 5 ISN"T REAL! There is no Halo 5, it's just what Microsoft tells kids so they buy their new system. All you're going to get is a digital code for the new assassin's creed inside the box and a note saying " it's all your fault"

Damn that hurts.

I haven't been hyped for an AC game since 3 and that was the time I felt like I'm done with AC.

II/Brotherhood were the best. Ezio was the best.

Owzers

My Assassin's Creed experience is now thinking the game will be bad, renting the game and playing it for 2 hours, then deciding it is indeed bad. Will probably try AC: Syndcate.

Boogiepop

I've actually never played an AC game. I was interested but never got around to it at first, and then there were a few too many games so I never really looked into it further, and now the reception around the series has kind of gone to crap. I don't know, maybe I should still look into going back and playing "the good ones" some day?

Sorry, you certainly aren't going to get that Bungie quality out of Halo 5. Better check your expectations. :(

I know Star Wars gets a lot of love here but i just read #1 on MU and it was great, it felt star warsy to me in that it captured the adventurous tone and character interaction that i liked from the original movies. That and Squirrel Girl are my favorite MU reads so far.

A Star Wars comic with a Star Wars feel? You don't say.

I've been enjoying the new Marvel Star Wars books. I don't think there's been a single one so far I would call bad.

Damn that hurts.

I haven't been hyped for an AC game since 3 and that was the time I felt like I'm done with AC.

II/Brotherhood were the best. Ezio was the best.

I didn't even get through AC III. Really didn't like it. I came back for IV because the idea of an AC Pirates game was too captivating, and it really did turn out to be a blast. I've still not played Unity, and it's likely to stay that way. I'll probably play Syndicate after a price-drop / sale. I just have too much to play at the moment, and Tales of Zestiria is coming out this week.

Owzers

I keep forgetting the Witcher 3 expansion is out now and I have it. I'm still irked at the find Ciri fetchery that made up a huge part of the story and how Triss basically ignored you towards the end. I thought we had a thing going! Triss!

Lol at that Cap vs Fox News thread

We are living in a world with a black captain america AND president, why can't writers make stories about how great America is? Cap is going to go on an apology tour soon starting with the U.N.

Trump 2016. Make Captain America Great Again.

^^^^^ If i start a NG+ though you have to /should be lvl 60 for the Hearts of Stone content and i don't want to wait that long to get to it AND i don't want to find Ciri again. She's found, that's over with, can't make me do it again.

I keep forgetting the Witcher 3 expansion is out now and I have it. I'm still irked at the find Ciri fetchery that made up a huge part of the story and how Triss basically ignored you towards the end. I thought we had a thing going! Triss!

I thought they added some Triss dialogue in one of the updates. Otherwise I don't know why that patch I downloaded was 17GB.

I really would like to start a New Game+, after I finish the 75 games I have to play this holiday season.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Definitely far outweighed by good.

Good luck man. I hope things turn out well for you.

Also, I picked up the missing Preacher volumes in this latest CMX sale. I was just reading some. Hopefully I can get back in it and finish it in a somewhat timely pace.

Glad to hear it!
And thanks, man.

Let me know your thoughts on Preacher if you do more reading!

Black Canary #4

Been putting off reading this since Annie Wu wasn't on art duties but I figured I should read it since 5 is coming out this week. I enjoyed it. It's definitely a solid book so far and the art was still good. I really love Loughridge's coloring so that's a big plus for me too.

I quite enjoyed this scene:
H1eXvw5.png

If your gonna play Halo 5 get the Locke controller:

I bought it just for the 3.5mm headphone jack and looks and feels nice. The top shoulder buttons are softer to push than the original controllers. Even better, I didn't know you could plug-in any audio headset or earbuds and have the game audio come through it.

Man Justice League is such a good cartoon. Love it.

I do hope the Blu-ray collection has all the episodes organized in proper production order. WB has a really hard time with distributing collections with proper episode orders, for some reason.

Tizoc

I do hope the Blu-ray collection has all the episodes organized in proper production order. WB has a really hard time with distributing collections with proper episode orders, for some reason.

Have you watched Batman Brave and the Bold?

JL is good though, great character chemistry and interaction.

I kinda want to make this a standard OT thread, but I'll localize it to Comic GAF:

Who is your least favorite Marvel MAIN and DC MAIN character? 1 from each. For me it's:

Marvel: Frank Castle A.K.A. The Punisher.

I literally can't stand Frank. Or maybe it's not Frank so much as the praise his character gets. I find him to be boring. In fact, this panel from Remender's Uncanny X-Force sums it up nicely:

And it's funny, because an often used defense for why the Punisher is so "cool" is that "he kills the bad guys, man!" Yeah, great, except he comes off as clinically insane with no redemptive qualities. Saying he kills people isn't a defense.

On top of that, his lore and mythos suck. Granted, I'm mostly talking about his rogues gallery: it's garbage. Even for a street level set. His two biggest foes, Kingpin and Bullseye, are major rogues for Daredevil, Spider-man, and Elektra as is. Each one of those rogues are already primary rogues for Daredevil. Bullseye is a primary for Elektra and Kingpin is a secondary for Spidey. So, who else? The Owl and Hammerhead? Again, Spidey and DD (and I don't even know how much Frank interacts with them). Alright, well how about unique villains then? Bushwacker? A dude whose arm can turn into a gun. Insanely forgettable. Barracuda? A weird redneck swamp person hillbilly who's mighty dead. And then Jigsaw: an insanely stupid mob boss who got the name "Jigsaw" because Frank threw him through a plate glass window. That's right, he's so average that his unique trait is "Frank hurt me."

He's really just a street-level gangbuster, which would be fine if other, more interesting characters didn't already occupy that. So then Remender gives him the nice little Frankencastle angle as a nice boon. So now he's a supernatural street level gangbuster! Oh wait, we already have at least two of those with Moon Knight and Iron FIst? Huh. There's just nothing much there. Granted, gritty crime stories have never been much of my thing, and Greg Rucka's and Remender's runs both pique my interest (though that's more due to the writers than the character), but I honestly find him so horridly boring it hurts.

I'll write up my DC one at a later time, but I'll spoil it for you: It's Barry Allen (with Hal Jordan in a close second).
Have you watched Batman Brave and the Bold?

JL is good though, great character chemistry and interaction.

Some but not all. My friend is a huge fan, so I've been meaning to go back and finish it up.

Shaanyboi

Banned

It was mostly Batman: TAS that was really fucked up with episodes airing out of order etc. Justice League has a far more continuous storyline that has a set order.

Tizoc

I'd say my least fav. DC character or rather most hated is Lex Luthor.
However he does have some great stories featuring him, so even though I hate the guy I will acknowledge good stories he is in.

EDIT: hey now, no need to trash on FrankenCastle, that was a fun run :/

EDIT2: Furthermore, Punisher comics at their best (eg Ennis, etc.) is more about the other characters rather than Frank himself, so while you go in expecting to read about the character, it's the others that take center stage.

Also obligatory Frank Castle bro-ing it out with Thor

I did bad things,,

Your GameStop.com:

-Nintendo NEW 3DS XL - Black

-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

-Mario Golf World Tour

-Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

-Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

You're goddamn right. Ignore Freeza/Sillymonkey, they don't know what they're talking about. Some of the saltiest dudes I know are hyped for 5, including a bunch that are in those VMC tests.

The hype is real.

Black Canary #4

Been putting off reading this since Annie Wu wasn't on art duties but I figured I should read it since 5 is coming out this week. I enjoyed it. It's definitely a solid book so far and the art was still good. I really love Loughridge's coloring so that's a big plus for me too.

I quite enjoyed this scene:
H1eXvw5.png

Was a great issue for sure. Wasn't expecting the superpowers twist.

I kind of enjoyed the new artist. Annie Wu's great, but I'd put the fill-in on par, easily. It's not a situation like Omega Men's #4 where the guy they brought in wasn't nearly as good (IMO, of course).

If your gonna play Halo 5 get the Locke controller:

I bought it just for the 3.5mm headphone jack and looks and feels nice. The top shoulder buttons are softer to push than the original controllers. Even better, I didn't know you could plug-in any audio headset or earbuds and have the game audio come through it.

Don't listen to this guy. Get the Chief controller #TeamChief #NotATraitor

Actually get the Lunar White controller 'cause it's got these AMAZING rubber grips on the handles.

Can confirm, is super fucking good.

So that next what if is Rocket Raccoon kills the Marvel Universe shit?

dang it.

Booooo

Zombine

Banned
Wii U and 3DS are systems that I never regretted getting.

Same. I got both day one as well, so I was around for the dry periods. Wii U has the strongest library so far this gen and I never regretted that purchase for one moment.

Really looking forward to whatever the NX shapes up to be. I hope they keep a lot of the community features that made the 3DS special and improve upon spot pass and whatnot. At the very least I hope the optional handheld offers some sort of 3DS BC.

Went back through the Vertigo sale and saw Ex Machina. Bought the series. I do believe I've dumped $100 on this Vertigo sale. Worth it, though.

Tizoc

Butt Cream is less of a stealth game series now and more of a 'virtual set piece where you go around parkour-ing while collecting 1000 things just for the fucking heck of it'

If you want an actual stealth game go for MGS5 and Styx.

Bii

I did bad things,,

Sounds like a good time to me.

Went to Zappcon Year 2 and it was fun. I spent all day there on Saturday and then half a day on Sunday. Improvements have been made over last year such as separating lines for badge holders/purchases and the layout of the booths/floor, especially the entryway. Though I still don't know why the tabletop and CCG games' areas take up a lot of floor space when they only needed half of what was zoned off. Just like other cons, I end up spending most of my money on sketches.

Had this done by Glen Canlas, a new artist with this being his first con appearance. As I looked through his previous works, he did an awesome Soundwave and thought Megatron would be fitting of his art style. Really cool guy and hope to see him at future cons.

AJ Touch was also new with this venue being his first con as an artist/vendor. I gave him some advice and tips as far as making it at cons and I think he really appreciated the words I said. He specializes in digital media but I did ask if he can draw in my sketchbook. He had to scrounge up a pencil and said he wasn't too confident doing a live drawing. I gave him some words of encouragement and he agreed to it. I ended up getting Colossal Titan from Attack on Titan and he did a solid job.

I had this amazing idea of what I wanted Cat Farris to do but was pressed for time. Guess I'll save that idea for another artist. Having just rewatched Avengers: Age of Ultron, I requested the duo of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Last year, I wanted to get Richard Jacobo into my Batman sketchbook but he was booked throughout that day. This year, he was my priority. He did flip through my book and commented on the Paolo Rivera sketch I got, noting that it was his favorite, as it was mine as well.

Here's my favorite sketch from the con by Lukas Ketner. I had a somewhat awkward moment when I opened up my book to see his drawing, and complemented how good it was. He asked "why, were you expecting it to not be good?" I unintentionally paused and he may have thought I was really considering the question but I wasn't. I just wasn't expecting him to ask that question, haha. It was all good, though. He, too, flipped through my book and noticed there was a lack of Batman being under water. And man, he did an excellent job. Though I'm not sure how Batman is surviving that deep in the water (anglerfish yo!).

With the end of this convention, I've spent over $1,000 in commissioned sketches across my two sketchbooks. Since starting the first sketchbook a year and a half ago and the second just a few months back, I've attended nine events (eight conventions and one FCBD), and have a total of 32 sketches. I might try to eek out one more convention before the end of the year depending on the guest list.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I kinda want to make this a standard OT thread, but I'll localize it to Comic GAF:

Who is your least favorite Marvel MAIN and DC MAIN character? 1 from each. For me it's:

Marvel: Frank Castle A.K.A. The Punisher.

I literally can't stand Frank. Or maybe it's not Frank so much as the praise his character gets. I find him to be boring. In fact, this panel from Remender's Uncanny X-Force sums it up nicely:

And it's funny, because an often used defense for why the Punisher is so "cool" is that "he kills the bad guys, man!" Yeah, great, except he comes off as clinically insane with no redemptive qualities. Saying he kills people isn't a defense.

On top of that, his lore and mythos suck. Granted, I'm mostly talking about his rogues gallery: it's garbage. Even for a street level set. His two biggest foes, Kingpin and Bullseye, are major rogues for Daredevil, Spider-man, and Elektra as is. Each one of those rogues are already primary rogues for Daredevil. Bullseye is a primary for Elektra and Kingpin is a secondary for Spidey. So, who else? The Owl and Hammerhead? Again, Spidey and DD (and I don't even know how much Frank interacts with them). Alright, well how about unique villains then? Bushwacker? A dude whose arm can turn into a gun. Insanely forgettable. Barracuda? A weird redneck swamp person hillbilly who's mighty dead. And then Jigsaw: an insanely stupid mob boss who got the name "Jigsaw" because Frank threw him through a plate glass window. That's right, he's so average that his unique trait is "Frank hurt me."

He's really just a street-level gangbuster, which would be fine if other, more interesting characters didn't already occupy that. So then Remender gives him the nice little Frankencastle angle as a nice boon. So now he's a supernatural street level gangbuster! Oh wait, we already have at least two of those with Moon Knight and Iron FIst? Huh. There's just nothing much there. Granted, gritty crime stories have never been much of my thing, and Greg Rucka's and Remender's runs both pique my interest (though that's more due to the writers than the character), but I honestly find him so horridly boring it hurts.

I'll write up my DC one at a later time, but I'll spoil it for you: It's Barry Allen (with Hal Jordan in a close second).

Some but not all. My friend is a huge fan, so I've been meaning to go back and finish it up.

The Hulk and The Green Lantern. Apparently I just don't like the color green.

Top Bottom