• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Steranko is a badass in real life too, so he's a perfect fit for classic Fury. I wish Marvel would let him write for Nick again. Set it during the 60's to avoid the Watcher stuff.

Him and Ennis are the definitive runs on the character.

I keep forgetting that 29 or so books is a pretty big achievement. Reading them digitally and freely with Marvel Unlimited sort of takes away the sense of time between each issue. I'm enjoying them though, these feel more like the comics I imagine. They're fast, furious, witty, and I like the way the stories are told.

Certainly within what I've read so far from Marvel Steranko has been the first person to do first person narrative (instead of the Stan Lee full panel jibba-jibber), and his use of speech bubbles with colour and design is great too, as it really puts across the emotion/feeling of characters. Basically, Jim Steranko has helped me learn to appreciate comic artists and their styles.

Zombine

Banned
tumblr_nkqrdxT4zX1qaib74o4_250.gif

Wally is my flash, fuck Barry. I need to buy Waids run so I have something to read before crying into my pillow.

giphy.gif

Zombine

Banned
So pretty. For me, Fantagraphics is tied with Dark Horse for the design/quality of their collected editions.

Love and Rockets and FF will go on the back burner for a bit.

I live for Usagi Yojimbo. Stan Sakai is a saint and I honestly hope I get to meet him someday.

Boogiepop

I live for Usagi Yojimbo. Stan Sakai is a saint and I honestly hope I get to meet him someday.

Got him to sign my first Usagi Yojimbo Saga at the last con I went to and he was super chill and cool. Even drew me a nice little sketch alongside the signature, which is super awesome!

Edit: The stuff in that collection is everything that comes before the Dark Horse stuff, yeah.

Edit x2: Is there currently a good set of collections or omnibuses or whatever that are properly available for Brubaker Cap? Never read it and I've been kind of curious lately...

tim1138

In news that only interests me, it looks like Scott Kolins is taking over JL3K1 now that Howard Porter is on Superman, just in time for the all lady League. Porter is going to be extremely hard to replace on that book, but I think Kolins is an excellent choice. There is also going to be an issue drawn by Colleen Doran before Kolins takes over, but I haven't seen any art from it.

Presenting the Justice Ladies 3k1:

What no lists? List!

Martian Manhunter 5

1872 4
Amazing Spider-Man 2
Astonishing Ant-Man 1
Invincible Iron Man 2
Karnak 1
Uncanny Inhumans 1
Weirdworld 5

Nice to have a light week after back-to-back crazy ones.

MY LIST FU IS STRONK

-Martian Manhunter #5
-Justice League #45
-Gotham Academy #11
-Doctor Fate #5
-Black Canary #5
-Bizarro #5
-Batman & Robin Eternal #3

and probably, depending on money,

-Multiversity Deluxe
-Teen Titans Earth One, because the cover is appealing to me.

Trying something new, I'm going to make RANKING PREDICTIONS! Because I can!

Martian Manhunter > Batman & Robin > Justice League > Gotham Academy > Black Canary > Bizarro > Doctor Fate. Last two are wildcards.

I'm doing a thing.....

Wait waaaaaaat

ok, so I decided to finish this before starting Usagi Yojimbo again.

Love and Rockets : Maggie the Mechanic: There was some brilliant storytelling towards the end of this volume. Each character feels so fleshed out and just a few stories past, I am already missing one of the best -
Rena Titañon. Well, she isn't dead but I want to read more about her.

Also, Jaime Hernandez's art is so damned amazing. He does expressions so well.

And here's a young Hopey telling us what we, deep in our hearts, already know...

Every online anectode I've heard of someone's interactions with him makes him sound like an amazing person.

Nice. Does the content in those volumes come before the Dark Horse collected editions?

Got him to sign my first Usagi Yojimbo Saga at the last con I went to and he was super chill and cool. Even drew me a nice little sketch alongside the signature, which is super awesome!

Edit: The stuff in that collection is everything that comes before the Dark Horse stuff, yeah.

Yep. Like Boogie said, Dark Horse's Saga v1 starts right where this set ends.

DC solicitations for Jan are out.

http://www.newsarama.com/26405-dc-comics-full-january-2016-solicitations.html

Looks like there's going to be a Prez tpb, with 6 issues! Want to read that.

And a new Doom Patrol TPB series. Morrison's run will be collected in 3 tpbs instead of the older series of 6.

And Gotham Academy is still not canceled!

*does a little dance*

Did they really put Scott Lobdell back on Teen Titans? That's just not right.

He's also apparently putting Joker's Daughter on the Red Hood/Arsenal team, which is so crazy it might just work.

Lobdell is decent, but the man can't write drama for shit. So Titans is probably going to be a disaster unless it becomes a comedy book, which I would not necessarily be opposed to.

Owzers

ehhhhhhh i was hoping the Darkseid War Justice League collection wouldn't suck but they broke it up and part 1 is $24.99 for 5 issues. Not buying into that.

32 pages. "Yearbook" 4-issue arc reminiscing about the school year. Multiple artists and writers.

Is DC trying to tell us something?

:(

Maybe. I'm on board for it, though, sounds like a fun format.

ehhhhhhh i was hoping the Darkseid War Justice League collection wouldn't suck but they broke it up and part 1 is $24.99 for 5 issues. Not buying into that.

Yeah, that's a pretty flatly ridiculous price point.

He's also apparently putting Joker's Daughter on the Red Hood/Arsenal team, which is so crazy it might just work.

Lobdell is decent, but the man can't write drama for shit. So Titans is probably going to be a disaster unless it becomes a comedy book, which I would not necessarily be opposed to.

They relaunched Teen Titans because of Lobdell's writing in the first New 52 run, this is seriously one of the dumbest moves they've done in quite some time even if he is just a co-writer.

DC solicitations for Jan are out.

http://www.newsarama.com/26405-dc-comics-full-january-2016-solicitations.html

Looks like there's going to be a Prez tpb, with 6 issues! Want to read that.

And a new Doom Patrol TPB series. Morrison's run will be collected in 3 tpbs instead of the older series of 6.

Earth 2 writer changed to Dan Abnett. Solicitactions make it sound like there's some major changes going on. Crazy opinion:
There should be no Batman, Superman or WW characters on Earth 2. GL, Hawkgirl and Jay were doing a great job.

I never did check out Convergence JSA, which abnett wrote.

It's good to see the Gotham Academy Yearbook stuff is an arc. The initial announcement for it was very vague as to what it actually was. The cover for it is great, I really love Mingjue Helen Chen's art.

VanWinkle

I love Gotham Academy. Glad it's still going.

Also really excited for the Prez trade. I will definitely get that. I've been wanting to read it for awhile.

Possibly in for Bizarro, Bat-Mite, and Azrael, too.

Messi

Hey look Harley got a new costume and it has pants this time. Awesome look. Pls don't be reference joker in that solicit.

Top Bottom