• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
An update on my horrible adventure through Marvel's Ultimate universe. I have completed Loeb's 3rd volume of the Ultimates, as well as Ultimatum. They were just as horrible as I was warned. Actually, even with that warning, I still had trouble believing how stupid those stories were.

Loeb seems to love having random shit happen with absolutely zero explanation about what is happening. Captain America goes through an entire issue dressed up as Black Panther and once he finally reveals himself, just says he doesn't have time to explain right now. But they never reference it again. Later when he is injured, he shows up Hel (or some place like that) and fights alongside Thor who is there trying to bring Valkyrie back to life. Thor asks him how he is there, Cap doesn't know, and they never mention it again.

Other random garbage, Magneto tell Mystique that he has huge plans for her once he wipes out humanity, but then never actually says what those plans are. Why the hell did the Blob eat Wasp? It had never even been hinted at that he was a cannibal. Just a fat guy who liked to eat... and pretend to be female on the internet. Also Carol Danvers went from wearing a military uniform in every scene, to being the only person in the Ultimate universe to wear a 616 SHIELD uniform. She apparently also took the time to get implants larger than her head.

Loeb's stupid excuse to turn Thor back into 616 Thor was eye-rolling. Now that they actually know for sure that he is a god, he apparently has no reason to hide his speech (thou and thee). Only made worse by the fact that they decided to start drawing Mjolnir in the 616 style.

Why was Valkyrie even in this book? She had been established as nothing more than a superhero groupie during earlier Ultimate's books. Then all of a sudden she has powers and they don't even bother to explain it. To make it worse, she is a worthless character whose sole purpose is to give Loeb something to jerk off to. I am fairly certain her only lines through the whole book was about how hot Thor is and how much she wants to have more sex with him.

The final fight with Magneto was terrible. It's a good thing they fought him in a room with 360 degrees worth of windows, as each hero gets a chance to break through that glass with a shitty one liner before getting beat up. Wolverine dies from stuff that shouldn't have killed him (although I guess that explains most characters who died). Magneto apparently decides he had it all wrong after finding out humans created mutants (not sure why he would really care, since they are still more "evolved". And we find out Wanda and Pietro apparently even more into mutant superiority than Magneto, even though there hadn't been any clues about that before.

I realize Loeb had some really bad family issues going on with the death of his kid at the time, but how the hell did no Marvel editor at any point step in and try to course correct what was going on? Or did everyone just relapse into the worst parts of 90s "extreme' and just say to hell with it. Either way, I really have to congratulate him on killing an entire line of comics. I can't imagine what it would have been like had I actually got into comics due to the Ultimate line after the original X-men and Spider-man movies came out. It probably would have driven me from the medium.

I think the only positive thing that came from the entire event was that I really liked the Requiem issue where Jameson finally acknowledges that Spider-Man was a hero.

I have started up on Millar's Avenger series now, which is maximum Millar. I finally know where that terrible Red Skull throwing a baby out the window comic that gets posted here came from. The sad thing, I actually think I welcome it after reading Loeb's garbage. I know the whole Ultimate universe never recovered, but I am interested to see what Bendis, Ellis, and later Hickman manage anyway.

Why the hell did the Blob eat Wasp? It had never even been hinted at that he was a cannibal. Just a fat guy who liked to eat...

Not only that but Bendis had just done The Amazing Friends arc in Ultimate Spider-Man where Blob is revealed to be Liz Allen's father and your supposed to feel sympathetic to him when he's rejected by her (through Magneto). Then in pretty much his next appearance he's chopping down on Wasp, absolute garbage writing.

Afrodium

Banned
Loeb seems to love having random shit happen with absolutely zero explanation about what is happening. Captain America goes through an entire issue dressed up as Black Panther and once he finally reveals himself, just says he doesn't have time to explain right now. But they never reference it again. Later when he is injured, he shows up Hel (or some place like that) and fights alongside Thor who is there trying to bring Valkyrie back to life. Thor asks him how he is there, Cap doesn't know, and they never mention it again.

This sounds so ridiculous that I feel like I have to read Ultimatum now.

Owzers

I read half an issue of an Amazing Spidey Spiderverse issue....these are the kind of books i think about when i think of burning comics.

MG310

Ultimatum turned Jeph Loeb into this guy.

1035x776-thefatigues-1800-1404913015.jpg

I love reading Screaming_Gremlin and Mr.Luchador's opinion posts while going about their Herculean tasks.

I see Wonder Woman's back on the market.

Bruce gonna be that rebound

Don't you dare say that to me Messi.

Bruce knows his place in the DC pecking order.

Bruce Timms 3 versions of the harley little black book variant.

[ig]https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12105035_1019414824797066_1844700491_n.jpg[/img]

It looks alright

Has there been any news on the number of covers and probability distribution?

Messi

I love reading Screaming_Gremlin and Mr.Luchador's opinion posts while going about their Herculean tasks.

Bruce knows his place in the DC pecking order.

Has there been any news on the number of covers and probability distribution?

All the covers are listed on that ad and they are printing as close to equal as they can of all 3 versions of a variant. They were also free to order with no minimums.

All the covers are listed on that ad and they are printing as close to equal as they can of all 3 versions of a variant. They were also free to order with no minimums.

That's not so bad then.

Not like those Lego Minifig or Kidrobot figures. I was almost dragged into that but backed out quickly.

Messi

That's not so bad then.

Not like those Lego Minifig or Kidrobot figures. I was almost dragged into that but backed out quickly.

Yeah it's pretty fair. It's clearly just using big names to push the new book. I'd be happy with any of the 3 types of covers tbh.

Briefly did the blind pack thing and backed out before it got expensive.

Messi

Ivy by Vanessa Del Rey...saw this on Cadence not too long ago and Dustin Nguyen bought it. Definitely on my not-so-short list of people to get a commission from at some point.

Ha! I looked at this before you bought it and then seen it was gone. Good pickup.

Just order uncanny xmen omnibus vol 1 and Jim Lee xmen vol1 omnibus. We're these supposed to be reprinted now? Surprised amazon had them for order but no one else...

Just order uncanny xmen omnibus vol 1 and Jim Lee xmen vol1 omnibus. We're these supposed to be reprinted now? Surprised amazon had them for order but no one else...

Did the listing say "Temporarily unavailable"? Amazon does that for a lot of OOP omnibuses.

Uncanny is definitely getting a re-print. Don't know about the Jim Lee x-men omnibus.

Did the listing say "Temporarily unavailable"? Amazon does that for a lot of OOP omnibuses.

Uncanny is definitely getting a re-print. Don't know about the Jim Lee x-men omnibus.
Yeah, it did. So they do that even if they never get more? I didn't hear uncanny reprint but I know they like to. I guess I'm more nervous about the Jim Lee one. Also almost list price. Guess I'll just wait and see.

Started the first volume of New 52 Batman Inc. Really liked the first issue in the trade where you see Bruce meeting up with all the various Batmen. I thought it was cute that Alfred brought up how Squire and Dark Ranger were always on Skype with each other. I really dig Nightrunner's design too.

Are there any good stories with Knight and Squire?

oh, Tyrant - I started reading Tokyo Ghoul. I'm a little bit into the second volume at this point and it's been pretty enjoyable so far. Buying it digital since I prefer $5.50 per volume instead of $13.

Tizoc

It kind of is. You don't see that kind of train wreck very often in comics.

And that's why it isn't worth it.
At the very least you get it for the art and skim it for the art, but as a comic book, you're better off reading something else.
Some comics are best left err 'not read in full'.

Tizoc

Stop exaggerating, will you? I'm hardly pushing it on anyone.

My apologies then, but the wording of your post is that it is somewhat worth it for the sake of seeing how terrible it is, even if you're not pushing it on anyone, your post suggests its worth reading just for that.
I don't see that as a good argument for reading it.

Hell I just mentioned the art because that's the one good thing about it despite some of the whack shit in it, and I'm suggest the same for Ultimates 3: Get it for the art and treat it as an artbook.

My apologies then, but the wording of your post is that it is somewhat worth it for the sake of seeing how terrible it is, even if you're not pushing it on anyone, your post suggests its worth reading just for that.
I don't see that as a good argument for reading it.

I was completely unfamiliar with the Ultimate Universe at the time I read it and just wanted to see what the fuss was about. It was certainly a bad comic, but I don't regret reading it simply because it was quite a sight to see. If people want to read it, hey, it's out there. I'm not suggesting they should or shouldn't.

If you go in understanding it's a bad comic and was brought up as such, and want to read it anyway, I hardly see the problem.

Tizoc

If you go in understanding it's a bad comic and was brought up as such, and want to read it anyway, I hardly see the problem.

Except that there are way better Ultimate-verse comics available, and there are better comics that have Jeph Loeb on the cover of them, although those are mainly by Tim Sale.

Squire

Banned
And that's why it isn't worth it.
At the very least you get it for the art and skim it for the art, but as a comic book, you're better off reading something else.
Some comics are best left err 'not read in full'.

You don't think it's worth reading an awful comic to know why it's so considered to be that way? Your perspective isn't worth much if you never read anything bad.

Tizoc

You don't think it's worth reading an awful comic to know why it's so considered to be that way? Your perspective isn't worth much if you never read anything bad.

Hey there are varying levels of bad, the worse are the ones that have you eventually, even in 50 years go,
jws31z5.jpg

For me the SW prequel trilogy are 8-9 hours of my life I'm not getting back. I do confess I watched them to give better judgement to them but all I got out of it is 8-9 hours of my life I ain't getting back :V

i dont think bad comics makes you appreciate good comics more imo

average comics do a perfectly good job of that.

dont need to read Edmondson's Punisher series to put Ennis's run in perspective

oh, Tyrant - I started reading Tokyo Ghoul. I'm a little bit into the second volume at this point and it's been pretty enjoyable so far. Buying it digital since I prefer $5.50 per volume instead of $13.

Neat. I'll definitely have to check it out the next time I buy manga. That might be a while with all the comics I have right now :(

Plus there's a ton of stuff I still want to buy:
-Absolute Batman Inc.
-Hawkeye Omni
-BPRD Plague of Frogs volume 4
-...Hellboy in Hell and BPRD Hell on Earth
-More issues of Batgirl
-I was also looking at the Geoff Johns JSA Omnis for some reason
-I need to stop buying things

Neat. I'll definitely have to check it out the next time I buy manga. That might be a while with all the comics I have right now :(

Plus there's a ton of stuff I still want to buy:
-Absolute Batman Inc.
-Hawkeye Omni
-BPRD Plague of Frogs volume 4
-...Hellboy in Hell and BPRD Hell on Earth
-More issues of Batgirl
-I was also looking at the Geoff Johns JSA Omnis for some reason
-I need to stop buying anime

fixed :)

Squire

Banned
i dont think bad comics makes you appreciate good comics more imo

average comics do a perfectly good job of that.

dont need to read Edmondson's Punisher series to put Ennis's run in perspective

I don't think you have to, I just don't think it hurts. I'd argue it's a case by case basis, too. The stuff that's bad about Edmonson Punisher for instance seems to have very little to do with the Punisher himself.

Like you wouldn't need to have ever read the character before to know that stuff is bad. That comes with basic social awareness. Or it should.

Tizoc

I'm curious if any of you are interested in reading Moon Knight after Ellis' run, be it old series or otherwise.
Far as I know that's the one time the character ever got proper recognition. His previous series were OK, but I personally prefer Vengeance of Moon Knight.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...controversy-going-international-with-iron-man

Marvel also announced a "Punisher" series, with the intriguing team of Becky Cloonan as writer and Steve Dillon returning to the character on art. What has you excited about what they've got planned for Frank Castle?

Alonso: Becky caught [Editor] Jake Thomas' attention with her artwork on "Wolves," "The Mire" and "Demeter," but it was her writing on "Southern Cross" that made him reach out to her for this series. She pitched a very cool story that has the Punisher on the trail of a gang that's developed a new drug that has great value on the international market if it's weaponized, and introduces a new character that will give readers someone to relate to, root for, and, of course, worry about: a female DEA agent who's also on the trail of that drug ring, whose path is destined to cross that of the Punisher. Castle is a force of nature, as everyone knows, and there are plenty of bad guys in this story that deserve what he's dispensing, so the pressing question will be, who gets out of this story alive?

This is an exciting pairing: a newcomer to Punisher and a veteran that is synonymous with the character. Steve Dillon is energized to make this series feel completely new and fresh.

I do not believe you.

Tizoc

OK WTF, V. of Moon Knight Vol. 1 is sold out like EVERYWHERE, Mahvel pls, give new printing or just gimme an HC collection GREGG HURWITZ's Moon Knight run in one book.

Vibranium

Banned
I really don't know about the new Punisher book, I really miss Rucka/Ennis at this point. I'm going to reread MAX instead.

And it's been almost 5 years with Richard Rider still missing, minus the horrible GotG flashback, with Bendis misspelling his name. Holy hell does he ever deserve a book in All-New-All Different by now. Will we reach 10 years?

Tizoc

I really don't know about the new Punisher book, I really miss Rucka/Ennis at this point. I'm going to reread MAX instead.

And it's been almost 3 years with Richard Rider still missing, minus the horrible GotG flashback, with Bendis misspelling his name. Holy hell does he ever deserve a book in All-New-All Different by now. Will we reach 5 years?

Didn't they introduce a new protagonist for the Nova book recently?

Vibranium

Banned
Didn't they introduce a new protagonist for the Nova book recently?

Uhh Sam Alexander has been around for a long time now. They're trying to push his dad too for some reason.

Very frustrating, especially since RR Nova sales were never really bad. If there's more than 3 human Green Lanterns, there can be lots of human Novas...

besada

Banned
It's strange to read A-Force #5, Ms. Marvel #19, and New Avengers #1 in a row. Loved the ending of MM, though.

But Songbird? Who thought that was a good idea. They're getting down to the C-List. We'll have Aangar the Screamer next.

PsychBat!

Banned
It's strange to read A-Force #5, Ms. Marvel #19, and New Avengers #1 in a row. Loved the ending of MM, though.

But Songbird? Who thought that was a good idea. They're getting down to the C-List. We'll have Aangar the Screamer next.

Songbird? Everyone loves Songbird.

Top Bottom