• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

I love reading Screaming_Gremlin and Mr.Luchador's opinion posts while going about their Herculean tasks.

Oh thank you! I'll have to look out for Screaming_Gremlin's posts, to see what they've thought too. I didn't realise someone else was trying to get through all the order haha.
I haven't read much this week, just the Strange Tales run featuring Nick Fury and Dr. Strange. What I did like about Strange Tales is by the end of it's first cycle it went from being one of the most pointless books in the order to one of the best. The artwork was on another level too.

CRtj_3xWcAAh64_.jpg

I'm currently 675 issues into the 616 reading order and I've just been introduced to MODOK!

http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/detail.php?idvalue=486

Squire

Banned
This is the truth.

That said, having C and D-listers on a team was always the main appeal of Thunderbolts.

I think Ewimg said at the announcement of NA that Songbird has always been on this trajectory to be an Avenger. It was just a thing that was bound to happen eventually. It's funny because there's a joke in Ellis' Thunderbolts about how she'll never get the offer. I read that after the announcement, so that was great for me.

I'm sure we all know, but C-D listers will never be in the A-B tier until they start to get those positions. From what I can tell, Songbird has earned it.

Sadist

Lol, another person joining the "dislike" side of Ultimate Marvel. Somewhere out there Gambit is crying. I still love Ultimate Spider-Man though.

Btw, It's been awhile since I got tp's so I ordered two new books: Got Avengers Time Runs Out vol 1 because fuck yeah this entire storyline, but my eye caught something and I just added it to my cart: Hulk: Gray. I loved Spider-Man Blue and Batman The Long Halloween by Loeb and Sale, so seeing this for € 7,99 and I'm in the mood for something Hulk, I just thought sure why the hell not. Anyone from Comics GAF who read Gray?

Edit: sweet, good to hear. Now I realise I still need Spider-Man Blue lol.

Zombine

Banned
Lol, another person joining the "dislike" side of Ultimate Marvel. Somewhere out there Gambit is crying. I still love Ultimate Spider-Man though.

Btw, It's been awhile since I got tp's so I ordered two new books: Got Avengers Time Runs Out vol 1 because fuck yeah this entire storyline, but my eye caught something and I just added it to my cart: Hulk: Gray. I loved Spider-Man Blue and Batman The Long Halloween by Loeb and Sale, so seeing this for € 7,99 and I'm in the mood for something Hulk, I just thought sure why the hell not. Anyone from Comics GAF who read Gray?

Gray is AMAZING. Honestly, the whole line is fire.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Edit: sweet, good to hear. Now I realise I still need Spider-Man Blue lol.

Its fantastic. I think its maybe my favorite Color Book.

tim1138

Started the first volume of New 52 Batman Inc. Really liked the first issue in the trade where you see Bruce meeting up with all the various Batmen. I thought it was cute that Alfred brought up how Squire and Dark Ranger were always on Skype with each other. I really dig Nightrunner's design too.

Are there any good stories with Knight and Squire?

Paul Cornell did a six issue miniseries with Knight and Squire back in 09 or 10, but other than that the modern versions were a purely Morrison thing. There was a Golden and Silver Age Knight and Squire as well that popped up from time to time Batman comics in the 50s and 60s.

wooow hadnt seen anything rendered in color from here before very cool

in lesser art news tim asked me to do klarion for inktober.

Everyone's favorite Witch Boy! As usual, it looks great ed!

1948 and BRZPC Vampire continue the trend of Trevor Bruttenholm being The Most Depressing Bastard in the hellverse. Not quite sure why the Moon and Ba art feels a bit off. Kinda expecting those nuke glass shards from 1948 to have some side effect down the line since that tends to always be how the hellverse works.

Onwards to BPRJZ Hell on Earth

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Oh thank you! I'll have to look out for Screaming_Gremlin's posts, to see what they've thought too. I didn't realise someone else was trying to get through all the order haha.

My task isn't nearly as Herculean as yours. I am just reading through the Ultimate Universe, not Marvel as a whole. On one had, Loeb shit the bed so bad it didn't seem humanly possible to do so, but on the other hand it is just like 10 years worth of comics and there weren't nearly as many on-goings.

As far as recommending people read stuff like Ultimatum or Ultimates V3, it is honestly all pretty bad. And not bad in a good way.That being said, as long as you know what you are getting into, go for it if you want to. I would say up until this point the Ultimate universe as a whole has been more good than bad (Spider-man is great, FF was pretty good, X-men was average, and Loeb is a blackhole of horse shit).

Anyway, a quick update. I have now finished volume 1 and 2 of Ultimate Comics Avengers. I mentioned in my last post that this seems to be maximum Millar and I would stick to that statement.

The new Avengers team is just a complete recreation of the Ultimates, but more extreme. Red Wasp is just the Wasp, but more aggressive and is the lady that had her baby thrown out the window by Red Skull. Black Widow II is pretty much the first Black Widow, but not Russian and is Fury's ex-wife (they divorced because Fury slept with her mom, sisters, cousins, and all of her friends, but she still loves him, because who can't help but love Fury, right?). Gregory Stark is Tony's brother who is totally smarter and has totally built an even better Iron Man suit that Rhodes uses for War Machine. Nerd Hulk is just the Hulk, but maintains his intellect and doesn't get angry (which is like the 5th Hulk to do this). And then Hawkeye is on the team. Actually compared to how horrible Loeb wrote him, he is pretty normal in this series.

In the second volume, they finally add an original character in Tyrone Cash. He is supposed to be another Hulk knockoff, but actually seems more of a ripoff of Barracuda from Punisher MAX.

Neither of the arcs so far have been particularly memorable, but at the same time coming off of Loeb they really aren't that bad.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Wait, Ultimate Fury slept around that much?

Seems... out if character.

I think that was just Millar being Millar. There was never anything implying he was like that before.

Speaking of Ultimate Fury, is that him in ANAD Marvel or is it still that shitty Fury Jr. they introduced into 616? If it is Jr., it seems like a huge waste to have not just brought over Ultimate Fury, especially if they aren't going to use the original anymore.

Sadist

It's Ultimate Fury.

And lol Millar I guess. I always feel like I'm the only one who likes Old Man Logan and Enemy of the State. But his Ultimate stuff is awful.

Hagi

The Red Wasp stuff is one of the most Millar of Millar things he's wrote for Marvel. Forced to kill husband to save baby, baby is killed anyway, then raped because the previous two things isn't bad enough. Ultimates 1 and 2 has some dumb stuff in them but goddamn the Ultimate Universe went awry before you knew it.

I'm glad the last few things I've read from him have moved away from the shock jock stuff.

Boogiepop

Welp, it looks like BPRD Plague of Frogs doesn't so much end as roll right into whatever happens in Hell on Earth, so now I'm even more impatient to eventually pick that up...

Still, the rest of the assorted stuff needs to come in first and then I need to wait a bit before I can finish off the Mignolaverse with Hell on Earth/in Hell+ Abe Sapien.

They're all x-men omnibus. Fatal Attractions, X-cutioner's song, and Bishop's crossing. They seem to go in the reverse order story wise of what I listed.

Is this your first time reading it?
I wonder if the events of X-Men #25 and Wolverine #75 will be as crazy for modern audiences

I haven't read any I don't think... I didn't like bishop and the side characters as much as a kid so while I don't remember much at all of what I read, I doubt I would have read more than an issue or two of this. I got hooked from the cartoon show so I was always sad when there wasn't comics of that team so I mostly read anything with cyclops or gambit since they were my two favorite.

Since now I'm thinking of old comics, do you guys think Marvel has gotten better with integrating their comic books to their other forms of entertainment? (Cartoons, movies, etc?) I remember feeling frustrated as a kid of loving the x-men cartoon and enjoying comics from reading sonic the hedgehog almost since it started but I couldn't find any comics that satisfied me and instead would buy them only to feel disappointed. It was sad they never used that group of x-men in a comic at the same time as the show, it'd be like enjoying the avengers movie but the only comic available of avengers was ANAD avengers. I'm not sure how they're restructuring now with secret wars and such going on since I stopped buying issues but are they going to have the same problem again? I'm not sure what they're killing off/rebooting by the end again.

Single heroes are obviously fine, spiderman, etc. but there are a lot of teams through marvel and similar with DC.

I would rather no company did this. Otherwise there's no point to keeping comics and movies separate and you might as well just mash it all together.

I don't watch TV, I rarely watch movies. I don't want my funnybooks interrupted by either of those things. It annoys me so much when things get derailed because "uh-oh, gotta tie in for the five people who will buy a comic after seeing the movie".

tim1138

They're all x-men omnibus. Fatal Attractions, X-cutioner's song, and Bishop's crossing. They seem to go in the reverse order story wise of what I listed.

I haven't read any I don't think... I didn't like bishop and the side characters as much as a kid so while I don't remember much at all of what I read, I doubt I would have read more than an issue or two of this. I got hooked from the cartoon show so I was always sad when there wasn't comics of that team so I mostly read anything with cyclops or gambit since they were my two favorite.

Keep posting impressions, I'm curious to see how these old events hold up for new readers.

Tizoc

Karnak #1
Must've forgotten this was by Warren Ellis.
This will be the one and only time Karnak gets any form of recognition.
Don't like how he's a jackass though.

Paper Girls 1
Good first issue but I felt it dragged until things got interesting :p

Megaman 54
Good character-centric issue, the next issue looks to be fantastic too
yrufmKD.jpg

So what's people theory's on Shattered Empire leading into the movie?

Apart from Oscar Isaac's mum having been pilot for Leia and having met Luke...not really sure it's going to lead in that much. Maybe a throwaway remark about Sidious' dead man's switch in regards to Operation Cinder...

Apart from Oscar Isaac's mum having been pilot for Leia and having met Luke...not really sure it's going to lead in that much. Maybe a throwaway remark about Sidious' dead man's switch in regards to Operation Cinder...

I've really got nothing. I try to connect the trees to something but that's all I can do.

Owzers

I really hate it when comic books introduce a plot point and then tell you to go read a different book in order to follow it, then move on to something else the next page, it makes the book feel like a delivery mechanism for a story instead of actually telling a story itself. Spiderverse reminds me of Blackest Night which was a lesser book if you weren't reading Green Lantern and Corps.

VanWinkle

I really hate it when comic books introduce a plot point and then tell you to go read a different book in order to follow it, then move on to something else the next page, it makes the book feel like a delivery mechanism for a story instead of actually telling a story itself. Spiderverse reminds me of Blackest Night which was a lesser book if you weren't reading Green Lantern and Corps.

Same here.

Messi

I just buy the books man

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I read a book that did that. I tend to avoid them.

I'm still bummed they didn't use Hawkgirl's costume from here for Legends of Tomorrow
Same, but then again Hawkgirl won't be the badass in that series that she is in Earth 2. She would be unworthy of the costume.
....huh
It's strange to read A-Force #5, Ms. Marvel #19, and New Avengers #1 in a row. Loved the ending of MM, though.

But Songbird? Who thought that was a good idea. They're getting down to the C-List. We'll have Aangar the Screamer next.
He was in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. So props for that, I guess.
Karnak #1
Must've forgotten this was by Warren Ellis.
This will be the one and only time Karnak gets any form of recognition.
Don't like how he's a jackass though.
Megaman 54
Good character-centric issue, the next issue looks to be fantastic too
yrufmKD.jpg

Hey, we like same things! I really liked Karnak.

Alright, weeklies:

Black Canary #5: Still really enjoying this book, though for a monthly it seems a bit short. Art also seemed to take a hit this issue, but I can't place my finger on why. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Karnak #1: Really liked it. Makes sense based on the events of Inhumans the role that Karnak has accepted and his new attitude. He's always beena condescending prick, just not as much in respect to the Royal Family. Though, he does seem far more over the top in that regard, but I think this book has done justice to the character thus far. The art is fantastic. The one thing that really bothered me about this book was the whole
"He takes smiling as an insult."
The fuck is that? Where is Ellis pulling that shit from?

Uncanny Inhumans #1: Not a fan of the art. I'll say it. I don't like it. I wish Joe Mad was back. Beyond that, I liked it.

Invincible Iron Man #2: I liked this issue, so I'm going to keep reading this book. Friday is the fucking best.

Mega Man #54: I love Proto Man. Ever since I started reading MM, I've really enjoyed it. I should go back to the beginning, but I've heard Archie's trades aren't the best quality, so that makes me nervous. Still, if nothing else MM is a good action book.

Ivar, Time Walker #11: THis book has me rolling in stitches. I love it so much. I never have any idea what's about to happen, and I consistently enjoy every moment.

As for the trades I've read this week:

Fantastic Four/Inhumans: Atlantis Rising: Boy this book was super okay. A solid action book with a good premise, but a lot of wonky storytelling. The beginning and end are good, but the bulk of the problem is the entire middle section. It's a clusterfuck. Nathaniel Richards is doing shit then leaves, Maximus shows up, does something, and then never comes back. The Fantastic Force does some plot things, and then leave as well. Really, this books should be called Namor/Fantastic Four/Inhumans/Fantastic Force, because it is a far bigger crossover than I believed it to be.

Earth 2 Vol. 5: The Kryptonian: This book is godlike. Seriously. It never ceases to be one of the best superhero books I've read. Val is an amazing character and his stand against
Darkseid Superman
is amazing. Jimmy Olsen is also a really cool character as well, and what they've done with Lois Lane and Red Tornado is weird, but I support it.

All-New X-Men Vol. 6: The Ultimate Adventure: This felt like Bendis shoehorning Miles into his book. Wasn't a fan and it feels largely inconsequential to everything that's happened, save for a brand new mutant with the ability to create portals to other worlds, which I guarantee is something that will never come up again. What a wet flop of an entry into a series I was really enjoying.

Next up is Green Lantern: No Fear, in order to continue my reading of Geoff Johns' run on GL. Also, I picked up the first trade of Johns' New 52 Aquaman, as well as The New Avengers: Illuminati (to continue my Inhumans reading).

Top Bottom