• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Think Sara sed she was.

Nah. I've only read the 6 current Hellboy Library Editions, the 4 Plague of Frog collections, the BPRD 1946-1948 collection, and the Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 trade. So a lot but there's still a ton I haven't touched, including all of Hell on Earth, the Abe stuff, the Lobster Johnson stuff, and the various other stories.

Anyone into the Mignolaverse? I'm a pretty big Hellboy fan but I never read BPRD through, so I'm marathoning the series right now.

Just started Hell On Earth, and man, shit escalated quickly :p
I got into it over the summer and I adore it. Need to read the rest of my books but I took a break.

Marathoned like 18 trades worth of it in a month lol

Messi

YAAAAAAAAAAAS BAAAAAABBBBSSS YAAAAS

cTCOm9M

Boogiepop

I was obsessed with it when I was younger, then lost of bit of interest when Mignola stopped drawing it. Got back to it a couple of years ago and started to appreciate Fegredo's run, but then the Corbin issues are just fantastic (Hellboy in Mexico!).

Read a bit of BPRD when it launched but stopped for some reasons when I moved abroad for work, and recently decided to read everything back from the start using that reading order :

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annotations/mignolaversity-reading-order-2015/

Just starting Hell on Earth: Russia now, everything is still great!

So this reading list taught me that Hellboy Midnight Circus, House of the Living Dead, and Weird Tales, as well as Witchfinder are things that are in the universe. Are those all essential/good?

Also, how bad would it be to read Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 ahead of like all the Hell on Earth stuff? It's way down on the reading list, but the title sure makes it seem to be a prequel...

(Still need to pick up the stuff mention above+Hell on Earth, Abe Sapien, and Lobster Johnson for a "complete" collection of the universe)

Owzers

Marvel's next big event will come in early 2016 with Avengers: Standoff!. Announced at New York Comic Con during the "Marvel: Iron Man & Avengers" panel, this new series kicks off in March with Standoff!: Assault On Pleasant Hill Alpha by Nick Spencer and Jesus Saiz. The story continues on in tie-in issues of Sam Wilson, Captain America; All-New, All-Different Avengers; Uncanny Avengers; New Avengers, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D; and other titles to be announced.

http://www.newsarama.com/26251-marvel-reveals-2016-event-series-avengers-standoff.html

No thank you, please avoid being in the books i buy. Please?

“I’m excited that starting now, even before the release of the first sequel, Dark Horse Comics will be bringing you new adventures from Pandora,” Cameron reveal. “Covering the time before, during, and after the events of the original Avatar film. For the past 27 years, Dark Horse has been associated with my films The Terminator, Aliens, and The Abyss. Now they’re working directly with me and our team at Lightstorm in an unprecedented ten-year partnership that’s going to create new stories that will take you deeper into the world of Avatar.”

“I’m excited that starting now, even before the release of the first sequel, Dark Horse Comics will be bringing you new adventures from Pandora,” Cameron reveal. “Covering the time before, during, and after the events of the original Avatar film. For the past 27 years, Dark Horse has been associated with my films The Terminator, Aliens, and The Abyss. Now they’re working directly with me and our team at Lightstorm in an unprecedented ten-year partnership that’s going to create new stories that will take you deeper into the world of Avatar.”

Avatar vs. Alien vs. Predator, please. Might as well get it out of the way.

Owzers

I almost did too, but the hype got to me. Well worth it.

Thought you weren't buying ANAD Marvel books?

right now i'm buying:

Doctor Strange
Howard the Duck
Karnak
Ultimates

and i'm trying ( only pre-ordering the first issues of) Patsy Walker, Starbrand and Nightmask, and probably Black Panther when it comes out. I'm skipping almost all of the "major" books and trying to wait or MU on them. No Avengers for me :/, though that event makes me think it was a good call. I'm going to be disappointed missing the main continuity books though, what happens when the next actual event happens? Do i buy that monthly despite being behind on all the other titles? This worked out better when Hickman was running the show since i liked his Avengers books enough to justify the expense.

Boogiepop

For real, though, why have events been so consistently garbage for forever? Outside of I guess finally Secret Wars? (Haven't had a chance to read it yet, still holding out hope for Hickman Avengers omnibi that organize things in a reasonable fashion). Like, that's got to be terrible for business when the thing that you draw people to try first sucks. I've definitely, definitely seen people go "oh, I wanted to try Marvel comics, so I tried Civil War, and it wasn't good so I gave up" and whatnot, and that's got to happen a lot. Like, I get that you can't force a comic to be a masterpiece, but you'd think that they've been doing this long enough that they should know to back off the editorial tampering or whatever that always kills these things, and at least be able to get a good, solid event consistently.

Just bizarre to me.

Tizoc

For real, though, why have events been so consistently garbage for forever? Outside of I guess finally Secret Wars? (Haven't had a chance to read it yet, still holding out hope for Hickman Avengers omnibi that organize things in a reasonable fashion). Like, that's got to be terrible for business when the thing that you draw people to try first sucks. I've definitely, definitely seen people go "oh, I wanted to try Marvel comics, so I tried Civil War, and it wasn't good so I gave up" and whatnot, and that's got to happen a lot. Like, I get that you can't force a comic to be a masterpiece, but you'd think that they've been doing this long enough that they should know to back off the editorial tampering or whatever that always kills these things, and at least be able to get a good, solid event consistently.

Just bizarre to me.
The first Sonic/Megaman crossover is still the best crossover I read in the past 5 years at least.
2nd place is Dark Cybertron but mainly due to Roberts' writing :X

Just bizarre to me.

Big crossover events suffer from 2 big problems: one, scale. There's a ton of people working on them across a ton of titles, and wires inevitably get crossed. Two is an overabundance of ambition, which arguably leads to 1 but not always. They try and tell these grand, sweeping stories, but they just don't have it in them to pull it off. Say what you will about Hickman, lord knows I have, but the man is a consummate planner. That's why Secret Wars has gone as well as it has. Morrison pulled it off in Final Crisis as well by virtue of being crazy.

Just bizarre to me.

Most of the time it feels like there's not enough story for the amount of content produced, really. I know Axis was meant to be an arc of Uncanny Avengers, for instance, rather than a 9-issue event plus tie-ins.

The fact that Marvel ones are yearly really drags them down as well. Secret Wars felt big because it was being built for a long time.

Most of the time it feels like there's not enough story for the amount of content produced, really. I know Axis was meant to be an arc of Uncanny Avengers, for instance, rather than a 9-issue event plus tie-ins.

The fact that Marvel ones are yearly really drags them down as well. Secret Wars felt big because it was being built for a long time.

AXIS is a great example actually. Now I'm imagining how incredible that story would have been as a 6 issue arc.

Ugh.

Owzers

Avengers vs X-Men might have been decent if it weren't 13 issues long. I tend to view events as a loud shift in continuity that isn't meant to be a great story.

Squire

Banned

Hagi

It's my birthday today and I got some money but I don't know what to spend it on. I bought Deadly Class volume 3 because I hate myself but drew a blank on what else to get, anyone got any recommendations? Ideally something non big two. Was thinking maybe Fear Agent because Remender in space.

It's my birthday today and I got some money but I don't know what to spend it on. I bought Deadly Class volume 3 because I hate myself but drew a blank on what else to get, anyone got any recommendations? Ideally something non big two. Was thinking maybe Fear Agent because Remender in space.

Happy birthday!

My bones say something Valiant, but my brain knows that Fear Agent is some unmissable shit. Buy it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Happy B-Day!

I'd recommend anything from this list other than Black Magick or I hate Fairyland since they aren't out yet.........

subs.jpg

So this reading list taught me that Hellboy Midnight Circus, House of the Living Dead, and Weird Tales, as well as Witchfinder are things that are in the universe. Are those all essential/good?

Also, how bad would it be to read Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 ahead of like all the Hell on Earth stuff? It's way down on the reading list, but the title sure makes it seem to be a prequel...

(Still need to pick up the stuff mention above+Hell on Earth, Abe Sapien, and Lobster Johnson for a "complete" collection of the universe)
You can read Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 whenever really. I haven't read Hell on Earth and it was fine.

Also, happy birthday Hagi and welcome back Inorigo! 👊

Hagi

Happy Birthday:)

Happy birthday!

My bones say something Valiant, but my brain knows that Fear Agent is some unmissable shit. Buy it.

Happy b-day Hagi.

Happy B-Day!

I'd recommend anything from this list other than Black Magick or I hate Fairyland since they aren't out yet.........

subs.jpg

Thanks a lot folks :D

I was actually trying to buy some Valiant stuff today Lunchbox because I was in the city but all the comic store had was miscellaneous trades :x I'm going to start Book of Death later though so that's something.

I'll take a look into Manifest Destiny brian, it sounds pretty cool.

squadr0n

Can someone recommend me a good run of a comic that can stand alone. A complete series like Locke & Key or Sandman that is its own contained story without having to read a ton of side issues or back issues. I was a huge fan of Remender's X-Force and Uncanny Avengers run, Morrison's Batman but I also really liked Abbnett & Lanning's Thanos Imperative storyline. I know this is kind of a random request but to be honest I have no idea what im looking for and was hopeing for some good random suggestions and hopefully find something I really enjoy. Thinking about picking up X-Factor but not sure where to start there.

Boogiepop

The first Sonic/Megaman crossover is still the best crossover I read in the past 5 years at least.
2nd place is Dark Cybertron but mainly due to Roberts' writing :X

Big crossover events suffer from 2 big problems: one, scale. There's a ton of people working on them across a ton of titles, and wires inevitably get crossed. Two is an overabundance of ambition, which arguably leads to 1 but not always. They try and tell these grand, sweeping stories, but they just don't have it in them to pull it off. Say what you will about Hickman, lord knows I have, but the man is a consummate planner. That's why Secret Wars has gone as well as it has. Morrison pulled it off in Final Crisis as well by virtue of being crazy.

AXIS is a great example actually. Now I'm imagining how incredible that story would have been as a 6 issue arc.

Ugh.

Avengers vs X-Men might have been decent if it weren't 13 issues long. I tend to view events as a loud shift in continuity that isn't meant to be a great story.
Thanks guys. I guess I hadn't really thought about the length as much, yeah. Still feel like it should be more of a priority to try to make events as good as they can then it seems to be...
You can read Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 whenever really. I haven't read Hell on Earth and it was fine.

Thanks!

And also, happy birthday to Hagi!

Can someone recommend me a good run of a comic that can stand alone. A complete series like Locke & Key or Sandman that is its own contained story without having to read a ton of side issues or back issues. I was a huge fan of Remender's X-Force and Uncanny Avengers run, Morrison's Batman but I also really liked Abbnett & Lanning's Thanos Imperative storyline. I know this is kind of a random request but to be honest I have no idea what im looking for and was hopeing for some good random suggestions and hopefully find something I really enjoy. Thinking about picking up X-Factor but not sure where to start there.

I love completed standalone stories too!

If you liked Sandman, try Lucifer by Mike Carey. Complete at 75 issues and collected in 5 new paperbacks. (Here's the first one - http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/LUCIFER-TP-VOL-01-(MR)/FEB130247)

There's Doom Patrol by Morrison. Great read as a standalone. Collected in one omnibus or 6 paperbacks. (http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/DOOM-PATROL-OMNIBUS-HC-(MR)/MAR140282)

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis is another great complete read. Available in 10 paperbacks.

Tizoc

Thanks a lot folks :D

I was actually trying to buy some Valiant stuff today Lunchbox because I was in the city but all the comic store had was miscellaneous trades :x I'm going to start Book of Death later though so that's something.

I'll take a look into Manifest Destiny brian, it sounds pretty cool.

Give Rex Mundi a read, it is among favourite 'mystery' comics, was very suspensful and I really liked the setting and the plot.

If you like Morrison's Batman then definitely check out his other work. Doom Patrol, We3, and All-Star Superman are all fantastic. Doom Patrol is an incredible run and it's available in a big omnibus that has everything. One of my favorite books.

Have you read Nextwave? 12 issue mini by Ellis and Immonen.

Other series to consider
Zero by Kot and Company
Ultimates by Miller and Hitch
Moon Knight by Ellis and Shalvey

Edit: auto correct changed Immonen to I'm money. Auto correct knows what's up

Squire

Banned

For X-Factor, read Madrox #1-5, then the run of X-Factor that starts afterward. It began in 2005 and ended in 2013. I have like 20 issues of it left myself, but it's probably my all-time favorite Marvel book since I started reading. Can't recommend it enough.

I also really enjoyed Uncanny X-Force/Avengers. X-Factor is very much it's own thing, but it's definitely as good as those. Astonishing X-Men by Marjorie Liu is from the same period and also excellent.

squadr0n

Thanks everyone. Ive read All Star Superman and Ultimates. I was just looking for something fresh to read. The last series I can think of that I really liked was Snyder's The Wake. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Top Bottom