• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONCACAF Gold Cup | 7-26 July 2015 | The Ecstasy of Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Canada can pull an upset here, that would mean it is probable that neither Costa Rica or Honduras would qualify for the knockout rounds. Would that mean a smooth road to the finals for the US and Mexico or a real opportunity for someone new?

Also, boo to Toronto for not filling that place up better than that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Canada can pull an upset here, that would mean it is probable that neither Costa Rica or Honduras would qualify for the knockout rounds. Would that mean a smooth road to the finals for the US and Mexico or a real opportunity for someone new?

Also, boo to Toronto for not filling that place up better than that.

The US would have to get past Jamacia or Haiti, nether are large mountains but small teams have been over-performing and powerful ones have been under-performing.

Osorio

I don't think it matters with the El Salvador loss. The third place team in group B cannot have more than 2 points.

Cuba controls its own destiny. Wow I just said that.

Ticos would have 3 points with a draw. Cuba would have to win by 8 to take the last spot.

But yes, Cuba is still in it!

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
terrible by the ref there, clear pen on Campbell.
Actually the ref was terrible all the match, fuck CONCACAF.

USA v. El Salvador/Guatemala/Cuba
Jamica v. Haiti

Mexico/T&T v. Panama
Mexico/T&T v. Costa Rica

Panama and Costa Rica, both undefeated, both underachieving, are on Mexico's side of the bracket.

Mexico and T&T play tomorrow to determine who wins group C. Winner gets Panama.

Guatemala and Cuba play tomorrow.

If Guatemala wins they advance.
If Cuba wins they advance.
If it is a draw El Salvador advances.

Hopefully that is all correct.

Should gold cup have 16 teams or 8?

Well 12 is what they have and it seems to work well enough.

OctoMan

Banned
USA v. El Salvador/Guatemala/Cuba
Jamica v. Haiti

Mexico/T&T v. Panama
Mexico/T&T v. Costa Rica

Panama and Costa Rica, both undefeated, both underachieving, are on Mexico's side of the bracket.

Mexico and T&T play tomorrow to determine who wins group C. Winner gets Panama.

Guatemala and Cuba play tomorrow.

If Guatemala wins they advance.
If Cuba wins they advance.
If it is a draw El Salvador advances.

Hopefully that is all correct.

Well 12 is what they have and it seems to work well enough.
Don't think the format works well at all. It's terrible. 8 or 16 teams or 6 playoff teams.

Blue Lou

The group stage of 12 teams. 8 go through to the quarter finals. Only four go out of the competition at this stage.

It comes down to making money from having more games, they should have group winners plus best second place team go straight to semi-finals.

Cuba has a chance to advance?

I officially don't get this format

Since there are only 12 teams/3 groups, there would only be 6 teams in the playoffs should only the top 2 advance from each group (the semifinals would only have 3 teams). In order to make it even (8 teams), the top 2 3rd placed teams advance as well.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Since there are only 12 teams/3 groups, there would only be 6 teams in the playoffs should only the top 2 advance from each group (the semifinals would only have 3 teams). In order to make it even (8 teams), the top 2 3rd placed teams advance as well.

o I c

Osorio

Can't wait to see what the Cuban team will look like when its players can compete professionally at the club level

Osorio

I thought they could now, just not in USA.
Not sure about that. But all the best players defect and cannot play for the national team once they do.

I believe the league in Cuba will become professional in a few years. Futbols popularity on the island is catching up with baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom