• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It might well be time for a console to come out of china.

I'm not even joking.
Charlie Day Ok GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Alright GAF, I didn't want to make a new thread for this poll, so I just made one on Strawpoll. Let's see it.

What are the 3 biggest reasons you DIDN'T you buy Concord?​

To quote Topher Topher

And everything they stood for

Holammer

I haven't seen any of the YTbers I follow play it, wonder if they even got offered sponsorships at all or if everyone consider it a poison chalice.

Drew1440

More millions in the garbage for Sony.

Imagine if they had invested all this money and talent they have to make awesome single player games like they have been doing the past gens.

Ryan go and eat shit.

I hope China gets in the game hard and streamroll everyone.
Instead we could have gotten sequels to Killzone, Resistance, Lair, WipEout. Instead Sony prefers to fund this.

Yikes.

What are our predictions? F2P within 3 months? 6?

Included in a random PS+ month before the end of the year?

No way this isn't a megaton bomb.

clarky

Gold Member
Pushing 170 heads, in Seattle WA. The last 2 years alone have exceeded $100,000,000. Total spend is probably close to, if not exceeding, $200,000,000. That 5 minute Marvel style CG shortfilm they did was $15,000,000+. They were likely expecting 10 million+ sales lifetime, expecting it to out earn their premier first party Lesbian Simulators.
I dont follow you. care to break down how 170 employees cost 50,000,000 a year?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unplug the servers it is already dead.
Opportunity costs.

By the looks of it half way through launch day, it'd probably be better financially to cut the cord by end of day.

8 years of dev, tons of money in costs ($50M? I threw out a number for fun), and all that happens is it'll sell xxxxxx copies at $40 each. And any Steam copies is really $28 after Valve cut. After all the PC and PS5 copies sold are tallied up it might not even break 10,000 gamers.

On the plus side, all the disc copies they sold into stores are sales. So unless they take back unsold copies in an approved RA (return authorization), they got those disc sales too.

Last edited:

Haint

I dont follow you. care to break down how 170 employees cost 50,000,000 a year?

Sure thing, Seattle is a top 10 most expensive city in the US, and Sony are paying to employ 170 ostensibly skilled professionals who are in high demand that they have to both poach and fend off poaches from. The average coastal US game dev salary exceeds $150k/year in salary alone, the actual costs to the business is way higher than that. They also have to pay mountains of premium benefits on every single head (i.e. platinum family insurance plans, cellphone plans, work from home internet plans, luxury car leases for the C-suites, etc...), mountains of state and federal employee taxes on every single head, and lease a luxury office studio with artisanal juice bars, meditation corners, and fine dining lunch caters. Then millions upon millions more in miscellaneous overhead like farms of high end computers/monitors, Herman Miller chairs/desks throughout, utilities, office supplies, toilet paper, etc... How much exactly do you think all that costs, a couple million a year? How else do you think Miles Morales, a 4 hour long DLC that reused every single assets within, cost $150,000,000 to produce?

Last edited:

mdkirby

The budget, I mean, do we know how much money they sunk into this dumpster fire?
Given a dev said the other day that it’s been in dev for 8 years, the studio is in Washington, so wages will be high, and we know from the insomniac leaks that the much quicker to develop Spider-Man 2 cost 300mil to make. My guess would be similar, then substantial marketing costs on top. Even if you slice a third off it, it’s one hell of a financial black hole. Oh and Sony not only paid for development but also bought the studio for an undisclosed sum (at least I failed to find out from google), but given historical purchases, another couple hundred million would not be out of the question.

Either way this is competing with suicide squad for biggest flop of the generation.

Mikado

Sure thing, Seattle is a top 10 most expensive city in the US, and Sony are paying to employ 170 ostensibly skilled professionals who are in high demand that you yourself have to both poach and fend off poaches from. That's on top of paying mountains of benefits on every single head (i.e. platinum family insurance plans, luxury cars for the C-suites, etc...), mountains of employee taxes on every single head, and lease a luxury office studio with artisanal juice bars, meditation corners, and fine dining lunch caters. How much exactly do you think that costs, a couple million a year?

So about 15 years ago, a good estimate of game studio operating costs was about 10K per month per head. That's not necessarily all salary (includes software, hardware, facilities as well as benefits and taxes etc), and ofc not everyone has the same cost but it's a good average place to start.

It would be reasonable to think that about 20K per head is common for modern costs for an ostensibly AAA studio in an expensive, American, tech-heavy city.

170x20Kx12 = about 40M a year, so it's certainly in the ballpark.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
not fair to start comparing the numbers rn. Give it some time guys. The china people are sleeping right now,

clarky

Gold Member
Sure thing, Seattle is a top 10 most expensive city in the US, and Sony are paying to employ 170 ostensibly skilled professionals who are in high demand that they have to both poach and fend off poaches from. The average coastal US game dev salary exceeds $150k/year in salary alone, the actual costs to the business is way higher than that. They also have to pay mountains of premium benefits on every single head (i.e. platinum family insurance plans, cellphone plans, work from home internet plans, luxury car leases for the C-suites, etc...), mountains of state and federal employee taxes on every single head, and lease a luxury office studio with artisanal juice bars, meditation corners, and fine dining lunch caters. Then millions upon millions more in miscellaneous overhead like farms of high end computers/monitors, Herman Miller chairs/desks throughout, utilities, office supplies, toilet paper, etc... How much exactly do you think all that costs, a couple million a year? How else do you think Miles Morales, a 4 hour long DLC that reused every single assets within, cost $150,000,000 to produce?
I dunno, thats why I asked. I'm from the UK and could not imagine each employee costing close to 300k a year all in.

You think they'd just go somewhere cheaper.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Imagine how bad that was if they went ahead with this piece of shit and stuff like Fairgames but cancelled that.
I guess that is possible. But having played a thousand hours of the original, I suspect there was actual, original fun buried in there somewhere. The core game is unique and engaging. Concord is a clear pile of derivative shit.

Top Bottom