• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
On the single player front, yes. But they went all in on GaaS lately. I don't know man. This deal doesn't make a lick of sense otherwise. They saw a huge cash cow in this one. Probably the wrong people at the helm.
The thing that gets me the most was them shuttering all of those brilliant studios that made them who they are (Or was in some senses..)

And now we get this guff

D2KFIja.gif

They're losing the plot.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How many tens of millions of dollars have Sony now wasted on GaaS shit?
Tons.

Bungie alone cost $3.6 billion. Destiny 2 sales and profits tanked to the point of being in the red, tons of layoffs, severance pay. And I think $1 billion was retention bonuses. So youre not getting that back in a resale of a company. There is zero chance of Bungie still being worth $3.6 billion. Probably not even worth $1 billion if Sony tried to divest them. At some point, Sony will write off a billion or more due to Bungie revaluation.

Concord has bombed. The Deviation Studios game they partnered with is dead, Fairgames who knows. Factions 2 dead. I think some kind of Horizon MP game is dead.

You can tell it's eating them alive since the past couple years, profit margins have shrunk to 6% when historically since PS4 started rocking it, profit margins were about 13% for 4 years in a row.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Hooray to diversity and ugly characters !

One way or another, these western Devs and publishers will know that this woke agenda and rainbow shit is not gonna work.

And now they are learning the hard way by losing so much money.

Let’s see who will last more. Normal Gamers or them freaks.

Another western woke closer is pending . Keep bleeding money. Loving it.

They will hide it better instead of being so brazen about it. SBI and co, and their ilk, will rebrand and will be far more low-key - but they will still be trying their hardest to subvert and destroy shit.

sachos

Will devs ever learn or keep investing into GaaS with 95%+ chance to fail ad infinitum?
The fact that it contrasts so well with Wukong insane success being single player is even more important. PS5 investment in China game devs could redeam their GaaS adventures in the future.

clarky

Gold Member
Dunno but Helldivers 2 made them bank
Less a than you would think. At 40 bucks and half of those being on steam coupled with a lengthy dev cycle it say it made a decent amount of money sure, but not successful GAAS money.

The monetization model is kinda weak as well, especially now the player base has evaporated.

Last edited:

Raven117

We are just seeing the stupidity of Sony coming home to roost from the pivot to GaaS. This was their stated strategy over the last 5 years (or a tad longer). Was it Ryan’s initiative? I don’t know.

We are now at the height of that decision where these projects are being cancelled and failing.

Sadly, we still have a few more years before we get the games we are used to from Sony.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Will devs ever learn or keep investing into GaaS with 95%+ chance to fail ad infinitum?
The fact that it contrasts so well with Wukong insane success being single player is even more important. PS5 investment in China game devs could redeam their GaaS adventures in the future.
Depends on the studio.

Black Myth studio doesnt seem to care about GAAS mania. They got a hot selling and nicely reviewed game. And all they did was do a souls-like action game (not innovative) but fuse it with Chinese mythology (something interesting and different). Doesnt seem like any DEI attitude either.

But for lots of studios, that carrot coloured money green dangles above their head. It's got a couple stamps on it already called COD, Minecraft, Fortnite, FIFA..... and they want their name on it hoping it rakes in a billion revenue per year too.

Vegan Blinking GIF by Rhonda

Last edited:
Less a than you would think. At 40 bucks and half of those being on steam coupled with a lengthy dev cycle it say it made a decent amount of money sure, but not successful GAAS money.

The monetization model is kinda weak as well, especially now the player base has evaporated.

400M+ is a lot of profit

clarky

Gold Member
And the bigger point is that everything surrounding the core mechanics is actively offputting. If it was just people on GAF shit talking the game, that'd be one thing, but look at the numbers. It ain't just that.
Its not just that, the modes are so uninspiring and the maps are hardly maps at all. Very dull.
400M+ is a lot of profit
Receipts please, not saying it didn't but would like to know how well it actually did. Do we know how many units it sold and the split? I know it sold gangbusters on steam.

Last edited:
It's like...I want to be a good person, right? I don't want anyone to lose their job and suffer, right? I want you to thrive, my neighbors.

But then a power bomba thread happens on GAF and the memes are so tasty and the roasting so funny, I'm cool with going to hell. Fuck it. Tbag this motherfucker

clarky

Gold Member
It's like...I want to be a good person, right? I don't want anyone to lose their job and suffer, right? I want you to thrive, my neighbors.

But then a power bomba thread happens on GAF and the memes are so tasty and the roasting so funny, I'm cool with going to hell. Fuck it. Tbag this motherfucker
If you are shit at your job you loose it where i come from. Thats the private sector for you.

No tears spilt. The decent devs from this studio will find decent homes I'm sure. Things like "the proff" I'm not so confident.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
And the bigger point is that everything surrounding the core mechanics is actively offputting. If it was just people on GAF shit talking the game, that'd be one thing, but look at the numbers. It ain't just that.

The world and character design is just terrible. Which is important in a character based game (Be it a hero shooter, MOBA, fighting game, etc)
Even if you don't care about pronouns and want more diversity in games like these...most of the characters just don't look good, or cool, or fun.

Say you want a non white elderly woman in your online shooter.
Which design is more appealing? which design do you see people putting on shirts or using as avatars? which design is more likely to resonante with people and make them like the character enough to also want some cool skins for her?
image-2024-07-12T143226.498.jpg

overwatchana.jpg

Its not just that, the modes are so uninspiring and the maps are hardly maps at all. Very dull.

Receipts please, not saying it didn't but would like to know how well it actually did. Do we know how many units it sold and the split? I know it sold gangbusters on steam.

12 million three months ago. Probably at 15 million now at least. A portion of sales coming from the $60 version and you're easily looking at $500 million in revenue even with valve's cut

clarky

Gold Member
12 million three months ago. Probably at 15 million now at least. A portion of sales coming from the $60 version and you're easily looking at $500 million in revenue even with valve's cut
Oh yeah i didn't say it hasn't made bank, its one of the most successful, if not the most successful games of the year. I thoroughly enjoyed what I played as well.

I'd say closer to 400million, with my knapkin maths, but then you have the MTX on top, not sure how well they are doing with those as it was light on monetisation, when i was playing at least.

clarky

Gold Member
Twas a joke my man.

You go free to play you have to monetize it somehow, i cant see many people buying skins as it stands, hence the weight loss jabs joke (for your concord avatar, not your avatar now i read it back lol). I'll see myself out.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

When it comes to business and companies, let them rot.

If they want to waste money and peoples time (workers and customers) with a shit product, thats on them. Let them suffer.

Even worse is it's the video game industry. So unless you buy online and score an e-store digital refund, youre stuck with the game. They got ya.

At least in most other products, if it sucks you got 30 days to return it. Whether it's a shitty sweater that rips, a table that falls apart or a microwave breaks, you can always refund it. For more durable products you even get 1 yr warranty and a service store will repair it. Gaming, youre stuck with their shit game unless you can do a digital refund asap hoping they agree. If youre a disc gamer youre fucked. And there's no real warranty except hoping they release random patches.

Always be extra weary when it comes to industries and companies that have hit and miss quality and sketchy customer policies trying to rip off consumers. Thats why costco is such a beloved store. If it sucks, you always can return it and get a refund. And then Costco returns it back to the manufacturer for their refund. So you can why suppliers put forth their best foot with a good product at a good price because they want to minimizes returns. Gaming studios and e-store policies are like the wild west.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

I get the hate For the design and woke bs, but you would think this was the most unplayable shit gameplay wise on the planet and it’s really not. It’s generic but a competent shooter
Gameplay was tight. But those character models did not do the game any favours.

The problem with HD2 is that if the majority of the sales were on PC... that's not exactly great for Playstation.

above was suggesting the Concord dev's are costing upwards of 50 million per year.

I could see that although that might be the upper bound. Didn't someone say Firewalk has 150 employees?

clarky

Gold Member
The problem with HD2 is that if the majority of the sales were on PC... that's not exactly great for Playstation.

I could see that although that might be the upper bound. Didn't someone say Firewalk has 150 employees?
iI dont think it was a massive split 60-40 at most if i remember correctly

Top Bottom