• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord | State of Play Reveal Trailer

I'm not big on GaAS or just multiplayer games much anymore, so I understand I'm not the target audience. However, this game literally looked they were trying to disappoint me. Everything seemed bad. From the character design, to them pushing cinematics on a multiplayer game and even the gameplay just looked old and generic. The only somewhat intriguing thing was it looked like a certain character could place a wall to cut off enemies, which can lead to pretty cool game design, but that was about it.

Then to top it off this isn't free to play. Yea..... Idk, maybe it plays well and is highly recommend which might make me interested after it releases but I came into today with essentially no opinion of the game, as we haven't seen anything of it and I still feel underwhelmed lol.

simpatico

Gold Member
I swear I saw hype for this dumb ass game on gaf. Looks terrible
From my outside view, I kinda knew of Concord as the PS5 release that was going to turn it all around. I'm not sure about on GAF, but I've seen a lot of tweeters who had the highest of hopes for this thing. I came in today prepared to be jealous of having to wait for it based on their hype. I thought Concord was the codename though. And it's unclear if the hyped parties knew it was going to be SOverwatch. I expected a really cool SP FPS with MP component.

Markio128

Gold Member
I’m not jumping on the hate bandwagon, but this game is certainly not for me. It also looks a bit too safe to make a splash.

Rac3r

What the hell were Ryan and Hulst thinking buying Firewalk and Haven over Arrowhead? This type of game is a dime a dozen.

If Concord and Fairgames flop, Hulst should be on the way out. I definitely wouldn’t trust his judgement on future M&A decisions.

I think it is too little too late for this game. I hope for the best, but I can see it failing after some months and I do hope the studio is not shut down.

Guilty_AI

KRIIdDP.png

:lollipop_neutral:

Elios83

It's basically Guardians of the Galaxy + Overwatch and a bit of Destiny.
Personally I would never play this game but I won't pretend that I'm the target audience and that I get the appeal of these games in first place because I just don't.
I wouldn't have bet anything on Helldivers2 as well.
I guess the word of mouth coming from the beta will make or break it.

Horrible character design and atrocious writing... it's like they studied Gunn's Guardians but got it completely wrong.
I like the character designs. Writing literally doesn’t matter. I don’t think ill care about the gameplay loop for more than a week tho.

Why just not use Playstation Characters.

mortal

Banned
What the hell were Ryan and Hulst thinking buying Firewalk and Haven over Arrowhead? This type of game is a dime a dozen.

If Concord and Fairgames flop, Hulst should be on the way out. I definitely wouldn’t trust his judgement on future M&A decisions.
Is Arrowhead even interested in being acquired? After the runaway success of Helldivers II, I'm sure Sony would love to, but if Arrowhead values its autonomy as a developer, there isn't much to be done about that.

People who don't play these type of games always shit on them. I wouldn't be surprised if this game bombed or if it's a top 10 Steam game for the next decade. Wait for previews, which should be out after SGF

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Cinematic trailer starts and my first thought is "is this Overwatche's long lost cousin?". Gameplay trailer starts "yup, Overwatch clone, zero interest". I'm always going to keep it real, this looks like it might be DOA, PlayStation should be thanking their lucky stars Helldivers 2 has had the success it has, balance those sheets.

R3EUIL

I'm going to wait for the beta to be released before I draw any conclusions about the game, but even so, I think it was a mistake for it not to be F2P

I mean they bought Bungie, do they need 3 of these type of games? Bungie will release a way better game out of the 3. Or is that the calculation? That they only need one of the 3 to hit?

If you love this type of game, why not just play Overwatch? Although myself am more interested by the aesthetic of Concord over Overwatch and Fairgames… I don’t see an obvious differentiating factor. Games like this need to lean on some beloved characters. I see the Marvel one doing well.

I do feel like Sony doesn’t really need Arrowhead, development of HellDrivers can probably be transferred to Firewalk. And have them run it for a decade.

It's basically Guardians of the Galaxy + Overwatch and a bit of Destiny.
Personally I would never play this game but I won't pretend that I'm the target audience and that I get the appeal of these games in first place because I just don't.
I wouldn't have bet anything on Helldivers2 as well.
I guess the word of mouth coming from the beta will make or break it.

Bingo.

R3EUIL

Cinematic trailer starts and my first thought is "is this Overwatche's long lost cousin?". Gameplay trailer starts "yup, Overwatch clone, zero interest". I'm always going to keep it real, this looks like it might be DOA, PlayStation should be thanking their lucky stars Helldivers 2 has had the success it has, balance those sheets.
This game has a lot of Destiny in its gameplay, it's not just an Overwatch clone. But even so, it's best to wait for the beta

When negotiating the acquisition of Haven with Jade, Hulst was thinking of his arrowhead.

I wonder who had the final say on this hot garbage, honestly it looks generic AF, cinematic trailer had me hooked till the gameplay started. I really wonder if Bungie had the final say on this? I can’t imagine naughty dogs GAAS game looked or played any worse than this.

Hope it turns out good but I feel like it’ll be DOA.

Too early to tell with these games. It could have really fun gameplay. I shrugged Helldivers 2 off at first and was wrong about that.

I am disappointed with the direction they took though, looks like generic Guardians of the Galaxy when I thought they'd go with something a little more grounded and unique with a 70s style sci-fi theme.

Either way, if this game fails they can always just fold them into Bungie. I suspect they will let them try and make another GaaS new IP though.

Hope that the Beta doesnt require a pre-order and that the game is $39.99 like HD2.

Last edited:
I wonder who had the final say on this hot garbage, honestly it looks generic AF, cinematic trailer had me hooked till the gameplay started. I really wonder if Bungie had the final say on this? I can’t imagine naughty dogs GAAS game looked or played any worse than this.

Hope it turns out good but I feel like it’ll be DOA.

You could say the same thing about a lot of wildly popular games in this space though.

Last edited:

hinch7

So cringe. Think we've all had enough of these quirky hero PVP games. The ones interested in this genre are already invested in Apex or OW 2.

This will end up in the trash with all the other failed hero shooters.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
From how much devs complain about AI you'd think they'd come up with something that didn't feel like it came straight from ChatGPT

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've now watched the trailer 4 times.

The 4+ minute cinematic intro will go down as the greatest c*%&tease in gaming history. It looks like a huge open world, NPC's walking around, a heist gone wrong, players meeting at a safe location...an ambush. This was the next gen multiplayer I've been anticipating for the last few years. Then we get to the lame as shit (sorry for the language) Destiny 2 PvP maps and I instantly projectile vomit.

- The ESG DEI characters were obnoxious.
- The "once a week we'll give you a stupid cutscene" concept seems moronic to me.
- 5 player teams are too big IMO.

On the brighter side, it really does look like a slower paced version of The Finals, which is my Game of the Generation. The molasses movement speed is the only thing that really intrigues me as that lends itself to more strategic, tactical play.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Always wanted a first party PS fps...but this doesnt look like it. I'll give it a try though. My biggest issue with this is there seems to be nothing unique about it? Whats differentiating this to say Overwatch or even Xdefiant? Quite disappointed.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm not into shooters, but it looks like they need to have a good impression with the beta if they want any chance of this game succeeding.

This game should cost no more than 39.99.

I'm not into shooters, but it looks like they need to have a good impression with the beta if they want any chance of this game succeeding.

This game should cost no more than 39.99.

Pretty much....

Hopefully someone on here pre-orders the game and sends a few gaffers some Beta codes to try out.

Top Bottom