• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord | State of Play Reveal Trailer

MrMephistoX

Yeah, it looks awful.

So it's not an F2P game then? This will probably bomb.
I’d give it a shot if it was F2P but not paying a dime when I can probably get a better experience playing Overwatch 2 or Apex Legends for free. Re DEI I don’t care what color the characters are if the designs are shit Overwatch looks like a Beneton ad too but at least the character designs are actually good.

Last edited:
eM5Doty.jpeg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The game launches with 16 characters. Every character has pronouns on their character select screen.

Of the 9 human characters, there are 0 Caucasian men and 0 Caucasian women.
Of the 9 human characters, 7 of them are women.

I couldn't have been monkey pawed any harder here, WTF.

Last edited:
I started the state of play a little bit late and seriously thought first I would see a new Guardians of the Galaxy game. I think the developers are huge fans because the character design looks very similar and they even named one character Star Child…

I am sorry for the developers but hope that the game bombs hard, so that Sony pull the brakes on their Gaas games.
Where are the story driven single player experiences Sony was so famous for?

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

The game launches with 16 characters. Every character has pronouns on their character select screen.

Said it above but I could care less complaining about DEI and pronouns: the designs are just bland and uninteresting that’s the real issue.

D’Va from Overwatch would still be hot even if them had their third joystick cut off #knowwhatimsayin?

Last edited:

nial

The worst part about Concord is how much of an ugly spot it is in a Helldivers 2/Rise of the Ronin/Stellar Blade/Astro Bot lineup.
Man, nothing over there looked any good.

Rac3r

Is Arrowhead even interested in being acquired? After the runaway success of Helldivers II, I'm sure Sony would love to, but if Arrowhead values its autonomy as a developer, there isn't much to be done about that.
Before Helldivers 2 came out, I don't see why not. It's more likely Sony didn't want to acquire them because they didn't see Helldivers as a IP that could be heavily monetized.

I do feel like Sony doesn’t really need Arrowhead, development of HellDrivers can probably be transferred to Firewalk. And have them run it for a decade.
Firewalk seems capable, but I don't like the idea of them working on another team's game, especially from a competent studio like Arrowhead. Seems like a move Xbox/Microsoft would make.

gow3isben

I think they will really limit their sales with some of this political choices who the hell do they think their audience is?

Otherwise it has the potential to be a hit if it is good like overwatch.

Last edited:
Before Helldivers 2 came out, I don't see why not. It's more likely Sony didn't want to acquire them because they didn't see Helldivers as a IP that could be heavily monetized.

Firewalk seems capable, but I don't like the idea of them working on another team's game, especially from a competent studio like Arrowhead. Seems like a move Xbox/Microsoft would make.
Sony had alot of faith in Helldivers. Developers already said the game was delayed significantly and Sony kept continuing funding.

I think Arrowhead has plans to expand and do their own thing. Sony can’t force them to continue to support the game if they end up wanting to publish their own game.

Killjoy-NL

Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. It has Woke all over it. Lol

Eh, who knows. Trailer is terrible though and the voice-over is a instant turn-off.

plip.plop

I am so over this thrown-together colorful junker sci-fi style with the motley crew of unlikely heroes dynamic in movies, shows, and games.

James Gunn has inadvertently ruined an entire generation of entertainment lol
I enjoyed the GOTG Movies. It's not Gunn's fault people want to copy him and do it horribly. Speaks more to this Studios creative leads lacking creativity/originality.

I don't like it either but Sony may not have a choice.

With Arrowhead's success, they may try and become independent and own their next IP thinking they'll take off. Usually greed does that.

So in that situation, what is Sony to do? Let the Helldivers IP die? getting another studio to take the IP is a natural choice. If concord fails, and Arrowhead doesnt want to work with Sony again, then it seems like an obvious choice to me.

I don't like it either but Sony may not have a choice.

With Arrowhead's success, they may try and become independent and own their next IP thinking they'll take off. Usually greed does that.

So in that situation, what is Sony to do? Let the Helldivers IP die? getting another studio to take the IP is a natural choice. If concord fails, and Arrowhead doesnt want to work with Sony again, then it seems like an obvious choice to me.
It's not like Arrowhead isn't making hand over fist money with HD2. Yeah, the money is getting split with Sony, but no way would they ditch development of HD2 to gamble it all on a new GAAS game 5-6 years from now. The best path forward is to make HD2 the best game it can possibly be for the next 6-7 years as they build up their studio to the point of having two separate teams

And the execs at Arrowhead really want it known that they are developing HD2 for the gamers and are not like other corporate entities in gaming. It may be a bit of a schtick, but at the same time, I don't see them doing something as anti-consumer as abandoning HD2. It would be a terrible look. And Arrowhead have stated repeatedly that they want to make HD2 the best GAAS game on the market

Also, lol at another studio taking over. HD2 is developed on such an ancient game engine that only Arrowhead has knowledge of it. It would be impossible for a new studio to just pickup where Arrowhead left off. It probably takes new Arrowhead employees months before they even have somewhat of a firm grasp of the game engine

It's not like Arrowhead isn't making hand over fist money with HD2. Yeah, the money is getting split with Sony, but no way would they ditch development of HD2 to gamble it all on a new GAAS game 5-6 years from now. The best path forward is to make HD2 the best game it can possibly be for the next 6-7 years as they build up their studio to the point of having two separate teams

And the execs at Arrowhead really want it known that they are developing HD2 for the gamers and are not like other corporate entities in gaming. It may be a bit of a schtick, but at the same time, I don't see them doing something as anti-consumer as abandoning HD2. It would be a terrible look. And Arrowhead have stated repeatedly that they want to make HD2 the best GAAS game on the market

Also, lol at another studio taking over. HD2 is developed on such an ancient game engine that only Arrowhead has knowledge of it. It would be impossible for a new studio to just pickup where Arrowhead left off. It probably takes new Arrowhead employees months before they even have somewhat of a firm grasp of the game engine

Well, their recent comments about wanting to be the next Blizzard kinda made it seem like they had let things get to their head and would maybe risk parting ways with Sony so they can potentially make more money.

HD2 was so successful for them that it may allow them to make that gamble, whereas if HD2 was more of a mediocre success it would be more obvious for them to work with Sony again.

So I don't know. And if any studio took over the game, it would be a complete re-build on their own engines rather than using what Arrowhead has.

Fbh

Gold Member

"Sir, are you sure about this?".

"Look, it might not attract core gamers. But this will be huge on Tumblr".

"Sir I don't think Tumblr is really a thing anymore "

Britney Spears What GIF

Well, their recent comments about wanting to be the next Blizzard kinda made it seem like they had let things get to their head and would maybe risk parting ways with Sony so they can potentially make more money.

HD2 was so successful for them that it may allow them to make that gamble, whereas if HD2 was more of a mediocre success it would be more obvious for them to work with Sony again.

So I don't know. And if any studio took over the game, it would be a complete re-build on their own engines rather than using what Arrowhead has.
You become the next Blizzard by growing your studio. There is no growth at Arrowhead if they abandon the cashcow that continually feeds them. And Arrowhead studio heads would have to pay out of pocket 100+mil to self-finance their new GAAS project and hope that it is a big hit 5-6 years from now. Not to mention abandoning HD2 would kill morale at Arrowhead. Absolutely 0% chance this occurs. Wouldn't worry about it

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

looks at the characters .... so much woke..... sickening to be honest.

Then they wonder why it will fail and flop... LoL

will not download even for free. or maybe I'll and delete and do it again just to keep using their bandwidth

I've now watched the trailer 4 times.

The 4+ minute cinematic intro will go down as the greatest c*%&tease in gaming history. It looks like a huge open world, NPC's walking around, a heist gone wrong, players meeting at a safe location...an ambush. This was the next gen multiplayer I've been anticipating for the last few years. Then we get to the lame as shit (sorry for the language) Destiny 2 PvP maps and I instantly projectile vomit.

- The ESG DEI characters were obnoxious.
- The "once a week we'll give you a stupid cutscene" concept seems moronic to me.
- 5 player teams are too big IMO.

On the brighter side, it really does look like a slower paced version of The Finals, which is my Game of the Generation. The molasses movement speed is the only thing that really intrigues me as that lends itself to more strategic, tactical play.
I’m sorry for your loss, but let’s hope for a re-reveal of ARCRaiders at the Summer Bore Fest.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is literally focus group the game.

Guardians of the galaxy meets suicide squad and Overwatch. I guess it's free to play. Screams that it needs to be on every platform possible including switch.

This thing is gonna be hot for like 2 weeks and by hot I mean a few thousand players.

Looks as bad as that ninja theory one....bleeding edge or whatever it was called.

6 years ago called and they want their game back.

While I’m not really sold on the art or characters, the gameplay looks pretty damn smooth and awesome and I loved the asymmetric nature of the character engagements, how the combat is slowed down like Halo with longer back and forth duels where skill and strategy win rather than who sees who first. Seems like a lot of unique abilities for each character.

Which you should expect from ex-Bungie devs, the gameplay looks pretty fantastic.

Shouldn’t dismiss this outright. If the pricing is good and the gameplay is near top of class like it looks, it could have some decent success.

Concord looks like Redfall as in, already been there done that shooter and I see absolutely nothing new it brings to the table. They literally made their own overwatch. This game is gonna bomb so hard.

SkylineRKR

Are gamers still waiting for CGI that is nothing like the actual game? Its just another 5 v 5 FPS. This art style is also too much Suicide Squad to me. Hard pass.

Krieger

They wasted and are still wasting millions of dollars for this shit. There could have been a hundred better ways to waste that amount of money, for example on premium hookers, coke, or just burning it Joker style.

Money GIF

Zathalus

While the characters and tone are cringe, the actual gameplay looks pretty satisfying.

Bit of an odd choice for a Gass push, Overwatch and Valorant are popular, but not quite that popular.

Top Bottom