• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Content delivery networks (ala Steam) are the future for gaming

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I must say that after initially being on the fence about purchasing HL2 via Steam's silver package, I am quite satisfied with what I am getting and have gotten.

We hear all the time about ideas for systems kicking around in which you download the games from a central hub and you play for the alotted amount of time if it's a rental or you can download it as much as you need to if it's a purchase (like Steam and the reported service for Phantom). With home connections only getting faster, there is very clearly a market for such services.

I'm about as lazy as it gets and this is just a godsend for me. Just plop down my CC number, wait about two hours while downloading the game, then it's there for my enjoyment whenever I want, I can burn it off for storage if I need to or I can just delete it and get it again if I want.

Sign me up for the hype train for these services. Only problems though are the lack of the tangible instruction manual, physical game, and the possibility for malicious activity over the network. :(

Steam rocks (NEVER thought I'd say that).

SKluck

Banned
I'm with you man. I wanted the DVD version for a hard copy, but fuck it. I will always have broadband and as long as they keep these services fast, I'm all for it. I'm hoping we will get games 1 or 2 days after they go gold in the future too.

My main concerns are what happens when the company goes down the shitter? I would only trust a big well known company with this. Or what about new operating systems years later?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I have no problem with online purchasing as long as i'm getting a discount. I'm not going to be getting a disc, packaging or instructions. I think its fair that i'd pay $10 less.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Suikoguy said:
I have no problem with online purchasing as long as i'm getting a discount. I'm not going to be getting a disc, packaging or instructions. I think its fair that i'd pay $10 less.

I assumed it would be cheaper when purchasing games through steam. No way I'm paying the same price. Besides, it would only take me like 20 mins to go to the game store and back vs 2 hours of downloading. ;)

Anyway, it they lowered the price significantly, I would be interested. Not as a replacement, but perhaps as a complement.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is good for gamers (lower prices), but also VERY good for developers.

I would not mind paying only like $5.99 less because of online downloads (as long as I can re-download the game I purchased if something happen to the copy I have purchased).

Much more money gets to the real developers of the game and not the Publishing Mafia.

snapty00

Banned
If history is any indication, there's eventually going to be a catch, I think. I don't have enough foresight to see what that may be at this point, but in the overall scheme of things, I'm not convinced that fully downloaded games is the way of the future. Maybe the catch will be an explosion of piracy? Or the fact consumers probably aren't going to want to go to every site on the Internet just to get games? Or the fact that if consumers want a central hub for games, we'll be back in the same publisher-developer issue we're in now?

I just have a feeling that it's not going to be all that it's cracked up to be long-term.

Jonnyram

This is fine with PCs, but I'm not sure how it will work with consoles. Sony, MS and Nintendo will still need to have rigorous QC before distribution, so who will handle distribution in this case? Sony (and co.) or the developers? It won't make much of a financial difference to the developers if the console manufacturer is stinging them more for licensing costs, which is probably what will happen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jonnyram said:
This is fine with PCs, but I'm not sure how it will work with consoles. Sony, MS and Nintendo will still need to have rigorous QC before distribution, so who will handle distribution in this case? Sony (and co.) or the developers? It won't make much of a financial difference to the developers if the console manufacturer is stinging them more for licensing costs, which is probably what will happen.

The costs for developers will be much lower than if they had to go through the regular retail channel.

Even smaller developers with Bit-torrent like applications like STEAM can provide applications to the users.

Even if they used LIVE or Sony/SCE's network it would still be less money they would have to share with or to pay to Microsoft or to Sony/SCE than they would pay to the console manufacturers + the publishers.

DL Content method brings up a lot more problems than it'll resolve. Sure it'll save money but for whom? Ultimately, we the consumer, will not see lower prices and it is the publisher that'll reap all the benefits. They thicken their profit margins while we're left with a digital copy of a game that is left too vulnerable.

Here's a potential scenario:

It's 5 years from now and DL is the preferred method for delivering content to gamers. You've acrued a pretty considerable amount of games on your HD worth thousands. One virus later you have nothing. You go to your trusty onliner to 're-DL' the game just to find that it is no longer available or worse yet, the company no longer exists.

No thanks. I'm happy with the current method of: go to store->buy game->play at will when ever with no unnecessary dependencies.

Renegade

Banned
If you want the complete death of EB, GameStop and the other stores we have left, and rampant piracy to kill developers and publishers, then Sure!

Deku Tree

I hope not. I like having a physical copy of the game.

Give me a method to backup my legit copy while at the same time protecting piracy or else no way.

EDIT: Also no b/c I like the way I get cheap games when stores are clearing shelf space.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I know I might sound stingy but the only way that I wouldn't mind picking up a downloadable copy of a game is if it were $10 less. Before I get lambasted for my short-sightedness or cheapness I haven't a clue about the publishing and distrubution arm of the industry. I'm assuming (with my highly limited knowledge) that without any of the distribution, manufacturing, and shipping problems then a $10 drop wouldn't be a problem.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Vagabond said:
If you want the complete death of EB, GameStop and the other stores we have left, and rampant piracy to kill developers and publishers, then Sure!

Did you forget the fact that the terrorist win, nuclear weapons will be smuggled in all big western society's civilizations mand detonated or were you just writing in a hurry ?

God, I hope this NEVER happens. I want hard copies of everything I own. On DVDs, please. Stupid ass publishers and their continuation of 4, 5, and 6 CD games.

TekunoRobby said:
I know I might sound stingy but the only way that I wouldn't mind picking up a downloadable copy of a game is if it were $10 less. Before I get lambasted for my short-sightedness or stinginess I haven't a clue about the publishing and distrubution arm of the industry. I'm assuming (with my highly limited knowledge) that without any of the distribution, manufacturing, and shipping problems then a $10 drop wouldn't be a problem.
What if more companies like Activision raise their prices of games, say, $5 per unit? You'd only be paying $45 for a game instead of $55? I don't think that's enough of a decrease in price to consider. Not as long as games still go on sale at a greater savings than that for a physical copy through stores.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is there more in the Steam version, or is Valve charging $10 more for the Gold version than EB and Gamestop?

Yes. Silver/Gold version gives you Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, and Half-life 1 / Condition Zero. Day of Defeat and Half-Life 1: Source won't be sent to you until they're completed of course...

I'm WAY opposed to this idea. It sucks... especially since it's only 5 dollars cheaper and the physical box will likely be cheaper with sales the 1st week.

That said, by bundling DoD with Steam only, Valve has made a compelling case to go the online route. That actually is giving you value with Silver. And it will also work because few releases in the entire history of this industry are as anticipated as HL2. You can get away with butt-fucking the customer if the demand is high enough.

But still, most classic games can be played 20 years later. Will Valve still be validating HL2 on Steam so you can boot your legit Single-player CD then? Highly unlikely. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the day everything must be "loaned" from online, is the day I go old-school only.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Content delivery networks will never completely replace traditional methods of buying games. It does bring up an interesting possibility for smaller developers though, who can cut out publishers from their worries.

Hooker

Man, lots of people have no idea how steam works. First of all, you can play offline all you want. You do not need to go online to play any game. So if the service goes down, you can just continue to play the game. And I'm sure that if (and that's a HUGE if) Steam gets discontinued, they will release an update to the program so no more problems will arise when trying to access the servers which are not available anymore.

Ravingloon, no one has EVER said that DoD:S will be bundled with Steam alone. The game isn't done yet, so of course you can't buy it yet. As of now the only choice is by "pre-ordering" it on Steam with the Silver and Gold packages.

Steam is the future, and everyone that's actually given it a chance believes this as well. It's cheaper (no one knows how much yet, but with the silver package I reckon I saved more than 80 euros. 35 for CS:CZ, 20 for DoD:S, 20 for HL:S and the rest of the backlog. I expect 20 euros for DoD:S and HL:S, nothing has been said about the individual pricing of these games) And the fact that I'm paying in Dollars!! Everyone in Europe should be happy about this.

Can you imagine paying american prices for GBA games ($25 instead of €45)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Is it cheaper via Steam? It should be.

Someone may have answered that but I'm not in a reading mood.

*Edit - 5$!!! That's it?! Fuck that.

No packaging, no shipping, no physical anything should = more than 5 bucks less than retail. Fuck outta here...

Hooker

Kiriku, about the downloading. This is where the beauty of pre-loading lies. The game is available for download a few weeks before it hits retail. You can already download it (I do it overnight, so I don't even know how long it took) the entire game beforehand. When the game is "unlocked" you only need to download the files to start the game (like the *.exe, should take about 4 seconds) and you can play it!

No waiting in line for high profile games, no problems with the shipment coming in late and other stuff. Just waiting for a time and you can play the game. The very first true worldwide release

DaCocoBrova, no one has EVER said anything about the differences in prices. It's all speculation so far

Sander

For me as a European buying retail is ~€10 cheaper than the Steam equivalent (Bronze). So I get the DVD, manual, box AND it's 20% cheaper.

Not to mention the Gold package which, includng shipping and tax, comes to about €114 or $137.

Silver is pretty good though, if you want DOD:S etc.

Vieo

Being a collecter of PC games, this will never fly with me. I want a disc from the company with some original art and logos. :D

BlueLegs

I hope more companies start going the way of steam, here in Australia we pay way to much for games. I got bought the Silver package and got it $50 cheaper than if i was to buy the LE package down here. So i got more for less. :D

DaCocoBrova said:
*Edit - 5$!!! That's it?! Fuck that.

No packaging, no shipping, no physical anything should = more than 5 bucks less than retail. Fuck outta here...

IAWTP. I'm all for online purchasing and downloading of content (I'm an iTunes whore), but if you want my consumer spending that way for video/PC games, I need a price discount of at least $10, at least a week or more time advantage over retail buyers, and/or an option to have the physical media/box/manual shipped to me later for free or nominal cost.

snapty00

Banned
Yeah, I think anybody who really thinks this means lower prices for consumers overall is very naive. History has shown repeatedly that lower costs lead to higher profits, not lower prices.

Sure, during a transitional period, the prices might be slightly lower to lure people into the new distribution method, but once it becomes standard, they'll shoot the price back up to where it was or more.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I prefer physical mediums, but I see one cool advantage to this. You'd never not be able to purchase a game. Like, if you want to go buy Rez or Cubivore or something else rare, it'll never be out of stock in its online form. I think that's pretty damned cool. You'd no longer have to run out and pick up something fast that might have limited market viability or hunt around tons for it later.

Publishers are scared shitless about steam like distributions. But since most devs don't have the $$$$ like Valve does, they aren't overly worried.

But still, if they can cut out the middleman... I am sure Valve would love to sell as many copies of HL2 over Steam. They keep all the cash.

Razoric

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
DL Content method brings up a lot more problems than it'll resolve. Sure it'll save money but for whom? Ultimately, we the consumer, will not see lower prices and it is the publisher that'll reap all the benefits. They thicken their profit margins while we're left with a digital copy of a game that is left too vulnerable.

Here's a potential scenario:

It's 5 years from now and DL is the preferred method for delivering content to gamers. You've acrued a pretty considerable amount of games on your HD worth thousands. One virus later you have nothing. You go to your trusty onliner to 're-DL' the game just to find that it is no longer available or worse yet, the company no longer exists.

No thanks. I'm happy with the current method of: go to store->buy game->play at will when ever with no unnecessary dependencies.

That's exactly what I was thinking. What if I pay for a game, download it, play it and then delete it (thinking that later I can redownload it if/when I want seeing as I already paid 50 bucks for it)... then 3-4 years later I want to go back and play it and boom the website is gone, or the company is dead, or they are recharging everyone for it because its a "new" edition, or whatever. This is the perfect way for companies to milk us dry. Give me boxart, a hardcopy and instructions please.

snapty00

Banned
Dan said:
I prefer physical mediums, but I see one cool advantage to this. You'd never not be able to purchase a game. Like, if you want to go buy Rez or Cubivore or something else rare, it'll never be out of stock in its online form. I think that's pretty damned cool. You'd no longer have to run out and pick up something fast that might have limited market viability or hunt around tons for it later.
But if the company goes under and your copy somehow gets erased or corrupted, then you're SOL.

shuri

Banned
Burn it to dvd. If you cant or are unwilling to do backups, then youre owned and its your problem, Find someone with a copy. Hell, I even wish consoles games would come in a steam like system. No more need for pre-ordering, or watiing in line on launch day.

epmode

what's nice about steam (and it should be a required feature for these systems,) is that it's very easy to burn a legal copy of the game if you want a backup. i'd prefer legitimate media from the developer, but this is the next best thing.

the way i see it, if online distribution networks help put an end to the traditional publishing nightmares that affect so many games, then bring it on. i'll miss the boxes, of course.. it's just that the benefits outweigh the costs.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
DaCocoBrova, no one has EVER said anything about the differences in prices. It's all speculation so far

But...

It sucks... especially since it's only 5 dollars cheaper and the physical box will likely be cheaper with sales the 1st week.

Confused.

jarrod

Banned
How about Kiosk downloads, like Nintendo Power (SFC/GB) in Japan? That way publishers can save on the overhead involved in manufacturing/shipping, retail isn't cut out completely (and they don't risk being stuck with overstock), smaller developers can release games on their own without worry of going belly up (again overstock/overhead concerns), rampant piracy concerns are quelled a bit and consumers still get an actual hard copy with printed instructions and likely some savings passed on. It'd be ideal for GBA, DS & PSP imo, Nintendo & Sony need to get to work. :)

Bregor

Just one small note: even if you back up your steam games, you have to connect to the internet at least once in order to register the key before it will work.

suikodan

I'm not against that but like many persons here, I like a physical copy.

My frothing demand for this game has increased, I reserved the CE edition today :)

jarrod

Banned
Project Midway said:
How about N-Gage 2? :D
No, I'd like something akin to iPod... download GBA games from a secure network/kiosk or transfer my own physical carts to the HDD. It'll never happen with piracy fearing NCL, but it'd be nice... essentially a SP with a HDD.

aoi tsuki

i'm all for it as another method of game delivery, alongside tradition tangible media distributed via brick and mortar, online, or otherwise, but not as a replacement.

But i'll stick with tangible media for the forseeable future. i don't want to have to buy something dependant on an internet connection to play. Most of us here have broadband, but connections do go down, both on the end of the customer and the content provier. Then there's the case of burning. What if you go to play a burnt DVD a year from now and find there's an error on the disc? What about five years from now? Granted you can always buy better discs, but that adds to the cost and trouble, and unless the Steam version was half the price of the boxed version, i wouldn't give it a second thought. Then there's those of us who do like getting boxes, and the very real possibility of developers sitting on the boxed versions of games to promote Steam delivery.

i fear that in 30 years or so the majority of entertainment will be delivered via some kind of wide area network (Internet, Internet2, etc.), with those who prefer having a boxed version being forced to pay far more. Maybe having manuals and things won't be such an issue then, because we'll have wireless document reader handhelds that'll be aware that we downloaded a new game via a home server. Still, i agree that services like Steam are the future. i'm just hoping there's room for good ol' discs and boxes thoughout our lifetime.

DaCocoBrova said:
But...

Confused.

Best Buy (And others) have the basic package for pre-order for 49.99. Best Buy doesn't know shit, I hear. But their pre-order for Doom 3 was correct at 54.99 and they had pre-orders for eons before release. So I'm sure they're getting that price from someplace (Unlike certain videogame stores that make shit up and are almost never right.)

Walmart is similiar in price (Though the usual Walmart weirdo pricing).

Top Bottom