• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Argentina 2011 |OT| South America is Best America

Status
Not open for further replies.
flintstryker said:
It is because I have learned from this tournament why I decide Uruguay is gonna win.

Yeah, Uruguay is, in my opinion, so far the only team that deserves to win the tournament. The football that they play is not the best at all, but hell... they put so much heart and balls from the very first minute. It's nice to see how they fight for the ball like there's no tomorrow hahaha.

The Garra Charrúa exists, BELIEVE! :p

My bet is on them.

For the brazilian guys around here:

Cebolinha-penalti-Elano.jpg

Hahahaha

Fady K

DominoKid said:
speak for yourself. Brazil's epic choke was the best moment of the Copa for me. one of the few good moments too btw. most of the games have been absolutely awful from a neutral perspective.

I was speaking for myself :p That is why I said a couple of times that it hurt as a fan of Argentina and Brazil, and mentioned that at the same time, to be fair, it's good to see other teams get a shot at the title. For instance, this is the first time in history Venezuela make it past the quarter finals.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
gate777 said:
I'm glad Argentina and Brasil are out, they thought that they were untouchable in the football world, serves them right. Goooo Uruguay.
I think you shouldn't talk about our feelings if you know absolutely nothing about them.

I don't think a single Brazilian thinks our National team is "untouchable in the football world" right now, and this has been the case for at least five years, buddy.

Oveja Negra said:
Why the hate? Of course you can say a team deserved to win a match, if that team was the one who was attacking all the time, trying to put a beautiful game, etc. against an ultra defensive team, that at any time, just because a random ball/whatever, scores and ends as the winner of the game.

"Meritocracy" and "deserve" are both linked, because [CAPTAIN OBVIOUS]a team that put a real effort to win the match, deserves to win.[/CAPTAIN OBVIOUS]

There is no meritocracy and there is no real effort in being defensive. That's simply anti-football, and to have zero respect for the people who pay to be in the stadium to watch a beautiful game.

Playing a defensive style is a valid tactic and technique in any game or sport. Just because you hate seeing it doesn't invalidate it. Those people are on the field to win, whether you are entertained by it is irrelevant to them. Claiming that there is no effort in playing a defensive tactic is a load of bullshit. In any situation where your team is facing a team with a higher talent level than yours, it would be hilariously suicidal to play offensively and just let the other team cut you to ribbons 8-0.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Noshino said:

Noshino
Pablo el pulpo
(Today, 07:17 PM)
Reply | Quote

mozfan12 said:
I am getting a bit worried where football is headed. Paraguay has gone to the quarter finals of the WC, and to the semis of Copa America, maybe even win the whole thing, solely with ties. They dindt even have a single shot on goal against Brazil. Thats pathetic but what can u do.

Los goles no se merecen, los goles se hacen.

Unknown Soldier said:
Playing a defensive style is a valid tactic and technique in any game or sport. Just because you hate seeing it doesn't invalidate it.

When did I said is not a valid tactic? Please, next time read my post more slowly.

Unknown Soldier said:
Those people are on the field to win, whether you are entertained by it is irrelevant to them.

Well, they can do whatever they want, and in the same way, since I pay a ticket to go to the stadium to see a good show, I'm entitled to say that a team that plays in an ultra defensive way, is boring as shit and ruins the beauty of the sport.

Unknown Soldier said:
Claiming that there is no effort in playing a defensive tactic is a load of bullshit. In any situation where your team is facing a team with a higher talent level than yours, it would be hilariously suicidal to play offensively and just let the other team cut you to ribbons 8-0.

Please, don't be ridiculous. I'm not talking about a team that put a smart defensive tactic to win a match against a superior team, no. I'm referring to all those shitty teams that use the so called "bat tactic" which only purpose is to not lose the game, no matter what pathetic they look. You see a team trying to create to win and the other only defending, destroying just for the sake of it.

The way I see it is that behavior has become so normal that people accept it as a natural thing. How sad.

Paraguay is one example (IMO) of a team that no matter who's the opponent, always plays in a defensive way. They practice one of the most boring football ever, and yet... they get results.

What many of us say is: Ok, maybe you got to second round/finale/whatever, but... are you giving a good show? No!. Some people don't care, others (me included) do care cause I go to the stadium to see a beautiful and entertaining game, not an ugly and boring one.

Overall, there are too many of those teams around the world to the point that great games are becoming more and more unusual.

Oh, and regarding the "no effort" thing. Yeah... it requires effort to put a defensive tactic against your rival, yet... it's a so shameful one that for me it doesn't count. I applaud players and coaches that put an effort to score. In short, I like teams that try hard to put a great show.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oveja Negra said:
When did I said is not a valid tactic? Please, next time read my post more slowly.

Well, they can do whatever they want, and in the same way, since I pay a ticket to go to the stadium to see a good show, I'm entitled to say that a team that plays in an ultra defensive way, is boring as shit and ruins the beauty of the sport.

Please, don't be ridiculous. I'm not talking about a team that put a smart defensive tactic to win a match against a superior team, no. I'm referring to all those shitty teams that use the so called "bat tactic" which only purpose is to not lose the game, no matter what pathetic they look. You see a team trying to create to win and the other only defending, destroying just for the sake of it.

The way I see it is that behavior has become so normal that people accept it as a natural thing. How sad.

Paraguay is one example (IMO) of a team that no matter who's the opponent, always plays in a defensive way. They practice one of the most boring football ever, and yet... they get results.

What many of us say is: Ok, maybe you got to second round/finale/whatever, but... are you giving a good show? No!. Some people don't care, others (me included) do care cause I go to the stadium to see a beautiful and entertaining game, not an ugly and boring one.

Overall, there are too many of those teams around the world to the point that great games are becoming more and more unusual.

Oh, and regarding the "no effort" thing. Yeah... it requires effort to put a defensive tactic against your rival, yet... it's a so shameful one that for me it doesn't count. I applaud players and coaches that put an effort to score. In short, I like teams that try hard to put a great show.

Meanwhile, in Italy, four World Cups.

Noshino said:
While they have good players, in general there is a national hate towards Manuel Burga, the guy in charge of the peruvian football federation. I mean, it is so bad that officials, players, and the general public hates this guy. Yet he still get elected time after time.

Its rather insane that we got a competent coach, and even more so that we have gotten so far on this cup.

Looks like this is a big problem in south american football.

It's the same shit in Brazil with that human cancer Ricardo Teixeira and someone said something about AFA also.

jett

D-Member
Submarino Conversível said:

It's the same shit in Brazil with that human cancer Ricardo Teixeira and someone said something about AFA also.

They're all FIFA's dogs. If Peru messes with Peruvian Federation, FIFA would just ban us from all international events. Our situation is a bit fucked, although sports in general are really underdeveloped here.

gate777

Brazil said:
I think you shouldn't talk about our feelings if you know absolutely nothing about them.

I don't think a single Brazilian thinks our National team is "untouchable in the football world" right now, and this has been the case for at least five years, buddy.
I was not referring to the brazilian fans and not so much the 2011 brazilian team (since they're all young guys), but the arrogance that brazil and argentina have had in the past.

Germany's smashing of Argentina at WC2010 was sooooo satisfying.

Noshino

Submarino Conversível said:

Yah its getting ridiculous

jett said:
They're all FIFA's dogs. If Peru messes with Peruvian Federation, FIFA would just ban us from all international events. Our situation is a bit fucked, although sports in general are really underdeveloped here.

Yah its retarded.

IPD (peruvian sports institute) was in a fight with the FPF (peruvian football federation), it was soo bad that FIFA told Peru that if they didn't accept Burga, no football would be allowed to be play on the country. It was fucking nuts.

Fady K

gate777 said:
I was not referring to the brazilian fans and not so much the 2011 brazilian team (since they're all young guys), but the arrogance that brazil and argentina have had in the past.

Germany's smashing of Argentina at WC2010 was sooooo satisfying.

I think Spain smashing Germany at WC2010 was even more satisfying :) Germany had like 4 attacks in the whole game lol. It was a beautiful game. Unless you are a fan of a certain team, it is always satisfying to see them go down, especially when everyone around you is expecting them to win. That is what was so satisfying about the World Cup last year. Spain barely beat Paraguay, and everyone was expecting a thrashing by Germany after Argentina got killed 4-0. But, instead, we got a German team that was confused, barely touched the ball, and were struggling to defend. Spain actually got unlucky with many of their attacks on that game, it could have ended with 4 goals.

solid102

Banned
HAHAHAHAHA Argentina OUT! Where's your Messi now huh? The most overrated player that cannot perform without the help of Xavi and Iniesta behind him. Messi? More like Missy.

feel

who else just cannot help but to be hypnotized by the gif and just stops scrolling and watches them miss penalties for a minute or two everytime?

solid102 said:
HAHAHAOHWOW Argentina OUT! Where's your Messi now huh? The most overrated player that cannot perform without the help of Xavi and Iniesta behind him. Messi? More like Missy.
fixed

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
with Argentina and Brazil being shit, does this mean Spain is gonna cruise to another WC? So lame.

T Ghost

Oveja Negra said:

What are you talking about is nothing new, it's known as Anti-Football and have been in use for decades. Brasil mainly used this strategy to win the 2002 world cup. It's usually an option when your team's technical level is significantly lower than your opponent's. Most people are of the opinion that it makes for a very boring, uninteresting match.

But it has it's weaknesses: If the team using it allows one single goal the whole strategy becomes useless and guarantees a loss.

But in it's defense it gets results, specially in long season league scenarios. And if you have one or more specially gifted offensive players it can give you not only regularity but great wins. Once your whole team is seriously defending your own half you attract a lot of opponents to your own half. Perfect timing with a long pass to your forward and you have a one-on-one, two-on two or three-on-two (3 attackers x 2 defenders) rather frequently. Definitely it was not the case of Paraguay that clearly lack in the offensive talent.

José Mourinho in Europe and Muricy Ramalho from Brasil are two currently successful users of the anti-football. Although they don't like the "tag". Who would? As long as they are winning, their fans couldn't care less for tags.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Rooting for Peru just for Jett. ^__^

Sorry SalsaShark.

Salsa

yeah, well, that sucks cause you know, we gon win

you know i like you jett but you're gonna have to die

its the only way

Noshino

Okay, let's see if I can match Paul's predictions, extreme lulz helped me the first time, so I ll stick to it:

Uruguay vs Peru

Venezuela vs Paraguay

jett said:
*single tear rolls down cheek* thanks guys!

VAMOS PERÚ!

Let's do this brother!

XWydU.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom