• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT2| Gambling, VACations, Giveaways & DDoS

cresto

Hiko said:
As far as MLG X-games is concerned, I woke up this morning ready ready to buy my own flight to Aspen. The other guys felt like until they know what is going to happen with valve and until this cloud of uncertainty goes away that it is in their best not to worry about playing in tournaments. I don't know what will happen in the future and I don't know where things will end up, but as of right now I am a free agent and looking forward to moving on with my CS career.

What? What is going to happen with Valve? Anyone understand this?

Fuck iBP for dropping the tournament so late. COMPLETELY unprofessional and they definitely do not deserve a professional org to pick them up.

I am happy to see Liquid over Torqued making the last minute trip. I think Liquid has the means to get them to Aspen and I look forward to meeting them. I fucking despise steel with a passion. He is a little prick and I think Torqued is a joke.

garath

I'm really curious about what he's referring to with Valve

Probably that Valve themselves don't have any tournaments. There's a lot of belief that CS:GO will not survive without a stronger backer like Valve themselves. They want a tournament or league like Riot has done for League of Legends or even what Valve has done for Dota2 with the international.

CoolS

I'm really curious about what he's referring to with Valve

Fuck iBP for dropping the tournament so late. COMPLETELY unprofessional and they definitely do not deserve a professional org to pick them up.

I am happy to see Liquid over Torqued making the last minute trip. I think Liquid has the means to get them to Aspen and I look forward to meeting them. I fucking despise steel with a passion. He is a little prick and I think Torqued is a joke.

Probably that Valve themselves don't have any tournaments. There's a lot of belief that CS:GO will not survive without a stronger backer like Valve themselves. They want a tournament or league like Riot has done for League of Legends or even what Valve has done for Dota2 with the international.

Lol. this is about the throwing incident, simple as that. EG probably was planning to announce that they picked up the roster untill the whole throwing article came about. Now they don't know what will happen to them and obviously decided against going to Aspen untill they know.

vocab

Valve didn't care about cs when it was the biggest game period, you think they will care about it when they have a self sufficient game like dota 2 that can practically run it self? Cmon. They are barely a game company at this point.

Omega

Banned

My guess is the throwing.

but lol if that's the reason. These guys are morons and Hiko should join CLG or something if that's the case. They're going to screw him out of a tournament because of something that might happen?

Valve does things on Valve time, meaning if they are actually investigating this, it'll be months, maybe even a year before anything comes from it.

If they were innocent they wouldn't be worrying about potential punishment and there wouldn't be any uncertainty. So I guess thanks for confirming the throw was real? the only comments made about it was steel and other pro players mocking the situation.

cresto

Valve didn't care about cs when it was the biggest game period, you think they will care about it when they have a self sufficient game like dota 2 that can practically run it self? Cmon. They are barely a game company at this point.

I can understand what they are saying about the valve support over on reddit, but I think the number of "unofficial" tournaments that are constantly being announced should mean that the game will continue to grow. It's hard for me to believe the amount of money made from this game on skins won't lead to more support from Valve. If nothing really changes with the game this year, then I will definitely agree on that popular opinion, but i think 2015 should be a lot different than 2014.

KingKong

Valve doesn't want to get officially involved in the pro scene (beyond sponsoring tournaments and running the International) because their whole thing is having the 'community' create 'value', and I think that's much better than Riot controlling the entire scene and being the arbiter

f0rk

Trying to do something about DDoS is way more important for CS (and DOTA tbh) then any official tournaments. The fact the pro scene can get by without a lot of help is a good thing. League's probably past the point where Riot dropping support is an issue, but being a pro at Strife or whatever seems pretty sketchy if the devs decide they'd rather spend their marketing budget elsewhere.

Also CS and DOTA would be better off without these stupid gambling sub games
boohoo I bet on something that is easily manipulated from the outside, valve pls

Omega

Banned
Trying to do something about DDoS is way more important for CS (and DOTA tbh) then any official tournaments. The fact the pro scene can get by without a lot of help is a good thing. League's probably past the point where Riot dropping support is an issue, but being a pro at Strife or whatever seems pretty sketchy if the devs decide they'd rather spend their marketing budget elsewhere.

boohoo I bet on something that is easily manipulated from the outside, valve pls

There isn't anything that's more important than anything else.

All these issues are big and all of them need to be fixed. People throwing matches for skins that they can sell for money is just as much of a problem as people preventing these guys from playing so they don't lose their skins.

but discussing this is pointless, as none of it will be fixed or by the time it does it won't even matter. Valve's lack of communication and fucks given has already made me decide to buy a Ubisoft game.

Rivitur

Banned
Ahh damnit... Hr v Penta odds went from 50/50 to 70/30 now my returns are a possible 1¢ skin which mean I don't get jack shit out of the game.

garath

The pros need to help themselves with the DDoS. It's not really a Valve thing. There's ways they can protect themselves by keeping their IP hidden. Apparently this used to be a big issue in DOTA (and league too) but some good articles on how to protect yourself came out and none of the pros have issues anymore to the point where I don't even think anyone tries it.

cHinzo

Teams like LDLC, NiP and fnatic are barely ever getting DDoSed. You definitely CAN protect yourself.

Not gonna happen when they already got ur IP, even though you're using a VPN. Look at Xyp9x last year. In some countries u also can't change IP, which is anoying.

soultron

Banned
As far as cheating and throwing goes, can the following happen?

1) A global league is organized for online tournaments, LAN and/or majors. Players must be registered with this league to participate.
2a) Any player caught betting on/against themselves is banned, suspended, fined... something.
2b) Teams are more than 5 people. Say 7. If a "main 5" player is found guilty of cheating, they're ejected from a team immediately. If they're guilty of unsporting conduct (online twitter bullshit, acting like a shitlord at a LAN, etc.) they're fined and suspended for X games or an entire upcoming event. The back up players will then stand in for them, in their absence or ejected.
3) Players ejected from teams cannot be picked up by teams recognized by this league. Harder to enforce in online events, I understand.

I think teams, tournaments, and leagues need to come together in order to mature to the point where there are real repercussions for being unsporting, throwing/betting on their own games, and cheating. Has this been attempted at all in the past? There may be obvious flaws to these points -- I only really put barely 3 minutes of thought into them.

f0rk

As far as cheating and throwing goes, can the following happen?

1) A global league is organized for online tournaments, LAN and/or majors. Players must be registered with this league to participate.
2a) Any player caught betting on/against themselves is banned, suspended, fined... something.
2b) Teams are more than 5 people. Say 7. If a "main 5" player is found guilty of cheating, they're ejected from a team immediately. If they're guilty of unsporting conduct (online twitter bullshit, acting like a shitlord at a LAN, etc.) they're fined and suspended for X games or an entire upcoming event. The back up players will then stand in for them, in their absence or ejected.
3) Players ejected from teams cannot be picked up by teams recognized by this league. Harder to enforce in online events, I understand.

I think teams, tournaments, and leagues need to come together in order to mature to the point where there are real repercussions for being unsporting, throwing/betting on their own games, and cheating. Has this been attempted at all in the past? There may be obvious flaws to these points -- I only really put barely 3 minutes of thought into them.

Who would this affect if it was in place now? It's not like all the top teams are full of known hackers and fixers.
Single bodies like this are a bad idea imo, historically nothing good has ever come of them in other games.

Omega

Banned
Who would this affect if it was in place now? It's not like all the top teams are full of known hackers and fixers.
Single bodies like this are a bad idea imo, historically nothing good has ever come of them in other games.

Usually because those weren't the developers as the single body.

It's not like Valve would just abandon CS the way MLG abandoned Halo.

impact

Banned

This game is just free money for Valve.

Also zero respect for Cloud9
There were different problems that existed in the team, including personality clashes and motivational issues, and I wanted to make changes to the lineup that I thought would better our situation. Unfortunately the team thought different and out-voted me and they were not willing to make the changes.

After those embarrassing performances all of 2014 they still didn't wanna kick semphis and seangares. C9 as a sponsor are getting milked so bad by these kids.

Omega

Banned
yeah that was pretty shitty.

Just goes to show the NA scene is fucked. Top 2 teams give no fucks. One throws and the other unintentionally throws because they're just in it to get paid.

Hopefully Liquid and CLG improve because those two teams being the best NA has to offer is embarrassing. They would be low Tier 2 teams in EU.

udiie

I actually didn't play Blacklist. I was thinking more of the R6 and Ghost Recon sequels. Which were all OK but didn't grab me like the older games did.

oh i see. i really dug r6 vegas and graw but i can totally see the difference between those and pre r6 3 games. theyre essentially a whole different series.

soultron

Banned
I actually didn't play Blacklist. I was thinking more of the R6 and Ghost Recon sequels. Which were all OK but didn't grab me like the older games did.

Hey man, don't take my word for it, but you should probably try Blacklist.

But you're right, it's not R6/GR style stuff.

udiie

Hey man, don't take my word for it, but you should probably try Blacklist.

But you're right, it's not R6/GR style stuff.

why cant you give your word on it? (° ͜ʖ͡°)
jk lol
i feel like im the only one here who still digs playing cs mm :( solo-queue to dmg commence!

vocab

My kind of games were rogue spear, and black thorn. Played them competitively on the zone when they were out. Can't say they will ever make those kinds of games anymore. The only counter strike clone i found mildly amusing was that UT99 mod and urban terror.

soultron

Banned
I still like playing MM too, but the recent spike in player count has really made the servers rough. I don't even care about my rank, I care about being able to properly finish a game, with the entirety of the 10 players that started the game being there until the end of the match.

The brutal lag spikes, mid-match, are like having the rug pulled out from you when you're doing the sickest breakdance battle moves on top of it.

garath

Is it just me or are Steam servers getting laggier and laggier. I feel like I'm losing it today. Shots are like a solid 2-3mm off their mark

Top Bottom