• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly though, I'm just having some fun. There's more clues for Luke than against, but that'd be quite the anticlimax for me, personally.

I mean I can't debate your points because you clearly have a vision for how you want things to be and are going to view/alter them to fit that vision. I respect that - and at least you do see that to all casual and objective observation it's pretty clear she's Luke's kid.

But you mention it being anti-climactic... I think you're pinning her being Luke's kid as the big twist or reveal in this trilogy.

I am almost certain (my only credentials being I'm a huge SW fanboy with more knowledge than I should about the people involved) that the big reveal is going to involve Rey's mother... be it a Mara Jade style thing, or that she tried to stop Snoke and died, or that she was on the run from Kylo and Snoke and hid Rey away and died before she could tell Luke where Rey was or what happened.

Maybe Kylo doesn't know she has a sister because he was taken away for Jedi training and turned evil before Leia got pregnant. Kylo and the Empire begins to hunt them down, Luke goes into hiding, Han & Leia leave Rey and the Falcon in Jakku in care of a guy Han knew and then they split up to do what they do best.

There are ways to make Rey into Leia's daughter or to make her Kenobi's kid or to make her a nobody... the issue is that Occam's Razor and the evidence on hand presents her as Luke's kid. It would take way more convolution of the story and exposition to make a Leia's kid or Kenobi's kid thing work out... and Star Wars isn't about that kind of stuff (Prequel trilogy shall not be mentioned here).

Let's not forget, after the many people offering the endless clues in TFA that it's Luke, that this topic is still about Daisy Ridley saying she thought it was so obvious who her parents are in TFA that she thought everybody got it.

There are a mountain of clues pointing at Luke, it makes the most sense in the context of the rest of the series, and Ridley pretty much confirmed the most obvious solution to this little 'mystery' is the right one.

I'm willing to bet $100,- on this with anyone.

Wishful thinking that it's going to be Obi-Wan/Yoda/Darth Maul/Dash Rendar aren't going to change any of it. They're simple, fast-paced popcorn movies.

110% right here.

I adore Star Wars... but they aren't mind-bending whodunnit movies... they're action flicks with a personal twist. We're not looking at The Usual Suspects here.

vctor182

Maybe Kylo doesn't know she has a sister because he was taken away for Jedi training and turned evil before Leia got pregnant. Kylo and the Empire begins to hunt them down, Luke goes into hiding, Han & Leia leave Rey and the Falcon in Jakku in care of a guy Han knew and then they split up to do what they do best.

Boem

Let's not forget, after the many people offering the endless clues in TFA that it's Luke, that this topic is still about Daisy Ridley saying she thought it was so obvious who her parents are in TFA that she thought everybody got it.

There are a mountain of clues pointing at Luke, it makes the most sense in the context of the rest of the series, and Ridley pretty much confirmed the most obvious solution to this little 'mystery' is the right one.

Wishful thinking that it's going to be Obi-Wan/Yoda/Darth Maul/Dash Rendar aren't going to change any of it. They're simple, fast-paced popcorn movies, with hypnotizing their audience with flashy sequences and a good soundtrack as their only real aim. And selling toys, of course.

As for people saying Luke is too old: Mark Hamill is 65 (one year older than my own parents), and his youngest kid was born in '88 (like me in fact). Daisy Ridley was born in '92, just 4 years later. He wouldn't even be a particularly old parent by today's standards, I have plenty of friends with a bigger age gap between them and their parents.

Tookay

She's the child of random people, who abandoned her for unknown reasons.

The timeline for her being Luke's kid makes no sense, especially if you want to say he abandoned her because he was being hunted.

The recent novels suggest that the massacre at Luke's temple happened only a couple years ago, and we know Rey was left behind when she was a little kid, so that doesn't comport.

Plus, making her Luke's child negates the whole point of what Maz was saying about how she needed to let go of the past and her parents and instead go forward to find a new family.

By the end, she's going to be an adopted Skywalker and carry on the legacy through her deeds, not by her blood.

vctor182

Let's not forget, after the endless clues in TFA that it's Luke, that this topic is still about Daisy Ridley saying she thought it was so obvious who her parents are in TFA that she thought everybody got it.

When Kylo captures Rey he sees that she thinks of Han as a father figure. In just a short time she thinks of him as her father.

The timeline for her being Luke's kid makes no sense, especially if you want to say he abandoned her because he was being hunted.

The recent novels suggest that the massacre at Luke's temple happened only a couple years ago, and we know Rey was left behind when she was a little kid, so that doesn't comport.

Plus, making her Luke's child negates the whole point of what Maz was saying about how she needed to let go of the past and her parents and instead go forward to find a new family.

By the end, she's going to be an adopted Skywalker and carry on the legacy through her deeds, not by her blood.

You're wrong on the timeline. The massacre occurred when Kylo was a teenager, which would make Rey around ~4-7, which is exactly how old she looked in the Forceback.

Even *if* the timeline is changed or different - there could be way more at hand here - IE Luke's wife/Rey's mom turned Dark Side, and hid Rey away when shit went south with the Knights of Ren or Snoke / She bailed on Luke while pregnant and he never knew he had a kid / etc...

When Kylo captures Rey he sees that she thinks of Han as a father figure. In just a short time she thinks of him as her father.

A) She has abandonment issues (As Seph said)

B) Han is her family... just her Uncle, not her dad. Watch the film again and look at the scene when they approach Maz's castle and Rey is talking about never seeing green like that before... the look Han gives her is one of knowing and one of sadness

C) Maz asks Han "who's the girl?" and it cuts away immediately. If Han didn't know then that scene wouldn't exist, or he'd go "idk some girl"

This is the ship I've been riding.

If you're implying she is Han and Leia's kid - nope. She is more likely a nobody (which is unlikely as hell).

Literally every reason for her to be Luke's kid holds true if she's Han and Leia's kid.

Likewise, literally every reason for her not to be Han and Leia's kid (which basically boils down to "why didn't they say anything to her?") also holds true if she's Luke's kid.

He is. Leia never called herself Skywalker, always Organa (and possibly Solo at one point).

Also Leia was (sadly) never a Jedi and never owned a lightsaber. She also wasn't a part of Rey's vision at all. She also never was a rebel pilot. Also Anakin and Luke were part of the prophecy/balance storyline, not Leia. Those points all still stand.

Leia never calls herself Skywalker, but Yoda calls her a Skywalker.

Leia never owned a lightsaber, but her father owned the lightsaber. It's still something that could be passed to Rey through Leia if Luke has no descendants.

Leia won't be training/never attempted to train Rey as a Jedi, so she has nothing to do with visions about Rey's path to becoming a Jedi.

If Rey is Han and Leia's daughter, her father (Han) would still be a rebel pilot.

Leia's still connected to the prophecy through Anakin regardless.

If it was supposed to feel obvious then I guess she was Lukes daughter.

Yup

Literally every reason for her to be Luke's kid holds true if she's Han and Leia's kid.

Likewise, literally every reason for her not to be Han and Leia's kid (which basically boils down to "why didn't they say anything to her?") also holds true if she's Luke's kid.

Not true at all:

1. Luke/Anakin's lightsaber calling to her and responding to her (Sword In The Stone) instead of Kylo

2. Han knows who she is when they approach Maz's castle (as I said above, the look her gives her in the ship and when Maz asks who she is).

3. Leia sending her alone to meet Luke.

I could go on but I need to do actual work now, good talk yall :)

Not true at all:

1. Luke/Anakin's lightsaber calling to her and responding to her (Sword In The Stone) instead of Kylo

2. Han knows who she is when they approach Maz's castle (as I said above, the look her gives her in the ship and when Maz asks who she is).

3. Leia sending her alone to meet Luke.

I could go on but I need to do actual work now, good talk yall :)

1) There are non-bloodline reasons why this would happen. The ending of the battle with Kylo symbolically shows us that Rey is on the (literal) right side of the chasm when it comes to using the Force. It's not like there's a law of the Force that says that the lightsaber will choose the firstborn.

Like, cool. I get that the way the lightsaber is introduced to her makes a good case for her inheriting it as through a bloodline. But this is likewise the case for the way she ends up with all of Han's shit after he dies.

2) Fantastic. But all that tells us is that Han knows who she is, not who he knows she is.

3) See 2.

GrayFoxPL

Guys I need your help.

Few months ago on youtube(trending) a video blog popped up with the spoilery title that went something like[WARNING]:
"Rey revealed as a Skywalker."

It pissed me off and depressed that some idiot ruined the next movie for me.

But was it true or just some bull?

Sephzilla

Besides all of the other information that points to Luke, the fact that Maz paints a direct family lineage between Rey and the lightsaber should end the discussion right there.

Maz: "That lightsaber was Luke's. And his father's before him. And now, it calls to you."

I mean, seriously, how much more on the nose does it need to be?

Besides all of the other information that points to Luke, the fact that Maz paints a direct family lineage between Rey and the lightsaber should end the discussion right there.

Maz: "That lightsaber was Luke's. And his father's before him. And now, it calls to you."

Again, all of this is equally meaningful even if she's descended from the other Skywalker twin.

Sephzilla

Again, all of this is equally meaningful even if she's descended from the other Skywalker twin.

No it's not. Because Leia had nothing to do with that lightsaber.

Maz paints a very direct parent-to-offspring relation between Anakin, Luke, and Rey via the lightsaber.

No it's not. Because Leia had nothing to do with that lightsaber.

Maz paints a very direct parent-to-offspring relation between Anakin, Luke, and Rey via the lightsaber.

She passed down the same Force lineage as Luke. If Luke didn't have any offspring, her kids would be his natural heirs.

Sephzilla

The Rey is Han/Leia's child theory falls apart for me very quickly too. Han makes no mention of leaving a daughter on Jakku and Leia makes no mention of it either even after they meet. And considering how open they are about Kylo Ren being their child, them being hush about a second child would be out of character.

She passed down the same Force lineage as Luke. If Luke didn't have any offspring, her kids would be his natural heirs.

I don't think Maz would have worded it in a deliberate parent to child fashion if it was parent to child to niece.

Rey being Leia and Han's second child feels like an even bigger stretch than the Kenobi theory, honestly.

edit: for the record, I'm actually more fond of the "she's a nobody" idea. I think it adds much more weight to the "meaning" of her story, which is that with a little faith in what the universe has given you you can do amazing things.

But if we're gonna put out theories based on the connections Rey has to other characters, I think the more subtle inheritance cues from Han/Leia (in particular that she explicitly inherits the lightsaber as a Skywalker heir but also subtly inherits all of Han's shit when he dies without anyone mentioning it at all) make for a stronger and more plausible guess at what "twist" might actually be in store for her origins than that the "on the nose" idea that she's Luke's daughter.

Han makes no mention of leaving a daughter on Jakku and Leia makes no mention of it either even after they meet.

And neither of them mention having a niece, either.

It's rather convenient that Han's able to pick up the Falcon almost immediately after it leaves Jakku's orbit, though. And that he lost the Falcon on Jakku, the same planet where Rey is and where the dude holding the missing piece of the map to Luke is. And that the region where Rey lives is conveniently the one he didn't check when looking for the Falcon.

And, as you said, it's clear he knows who she is.

So all theories must grapple with the question "if he knows, why not tell her?"

And considering how open they are about Kylo Ren being their child, them being hush about a second child would be out of character.

Given how afraid they were about him turning out like Vader, and how Leia was actually a secret Force-attuned daughter in the OT that Obi-Wan kept secret for two whole movies, and on top of that how everybody seemed to think it was essential to keep quiet that Luke was a descendant of Vader, there's actually a massive precedent for being hush-hush about a second child and about a potential Jedi's parentage.

On top of that, it's heavily implied that a big reason Kylo became so power-hungry and obsessed with Vader was because he knew about his parentage.

As I said, you have to assume they're being quiet about her being their niece anyway. If you can make that leap, you can make it for them keeping their child secret for her own welfare.

I don't think Maz would have worded it in a deliberate parent to child fashion if it was parent to child to niece.

I don't think Maz would have told Rey that the family that left her on Jakku "isn't coming back," and then say that "there's someone who still could" (about Luke) if her family is actually just Luke. I suppose there could be a mother figure who's died.

Of all the people in the film, the one person who fits that bill is Leia, who's off doing Resistance stuff while Luke is a recluse and Han is apparently still keeping an eye on Jakku.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
her being Luke's daughter would be the most boring and disappointing way for them to go with her character so I'm 99% sure that it's going to be true.

And then she'll see lighting for the first time on Luke's planet and 30 seconds later shoot force lightning out of her hands. Luke will lift up a small boulder with the force and she'll rip the top off a mountain at the same time. 4 hours later her training will be complete and Luke will nod his approval and off to punk the "big Bad" of this series for the 2nd time she'll go.

God i hope this next movie is better than TFA.

Number_6

Some more fun, then off to actually do what I'm supposed to do today (yeah right).

Obvious to her doesn't mean the writer/director intended anything.

The interview linked in the article linked in the OP says that enough to answer the question is there, but then she realized later after seeing it: 'Then after the screening I went for a drink with my agent and everyone, and we were chatting away and I realised that oh, in their minds it’s not answered at all!'

So does this mean it's obvious, or should be obvious to us, or does this mean there's enough there, but not as obvious as people here make it out to be? Like, she knows, so any hint would seem obvious to her, because duh, she knows.

Suppose it's actually not Luke. There'll be an army here, stating that it was obviously not Luke all along.

The Rey is Han/Leia's child theory falls apart for me very quickly too. Han makes no mention of leaving a daughter on Jakku and Leia makes no mention of it either even after they meet. And considering how open they are about Kylo Ren being their child, them being hush about a second child would be out of character.

Rey being Leia and Han's second child feels like an even bigger stretch than the Kenobi theory, honestly.

I'm not for the Han/Leia theory either, but do you think that if she was their daughter, they'd just immediately tell her? Seems to me if I was in their shoes, I'd hesitate. I'd be ashamed of myself. I'd wait for the right moment (which never came, apparently).

Maybe it's me, but is the trend of endless exposition really changing perceptions of how plots work? Like, she can't be their child because they never explicitly said it in the movie? It's like when all the characters in The Dark Knight just explained all the depth away in dialogue, you know, in case we missed it. Just because characters don't state facts doesn't mean they aren't true. It's not evidence of anything.

As for Maz using the father-to-son wording, that can be explained by realizing that Maz is very perceptive, and she knows that Rey has been without a family and strongly desires one. So Maz talks about family because the idea of family speaks to Rey. Doesn't mean Rey has to literally be a Skywalker. Could mean that Rey will be adopted as a Skywalker instead. If they love her, then why not? She can be the heir without blood ties. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Boom.

I will go down this boat if I have to.

People want what they want no matter how much common sense or logic dictates otherwise.

Some people just want their headcannon to be true so they deny everything (sometimes even after the truth is already out there... IE Korrasami incident with Legend of Korra).

Some other people just want to stir the pot or for some reason think her being a Skywalker is lame... even though Kathleen Kennedy herself said the main films are the Skywalker's story.

Boom.

I will go down this boat if I have to.

That boat is already sinking, buddy. The guy you quoted has his timelines off and misinterpreted Maz's statement.

her being Luke's daughter would be the most boring and disappointing way for them to go with her character so I'm 99% sure that it's going to be true.

And then she'll see lighting for the first time on Luke's planet and 30 seconds later shoot force lightning out of her hands. Luke will lift up a small boulder with the force and she'll rip the top off a mountain at the same time. 4 hours later her training will be complete and Luke will nod his approval and off to punk the "big Bad" of this series for the 2nd time she'll go.

God i hope this next movie is better than TFA.

Well considering TFA is the best Star Wars film behind ANH and ESB, that's a tall order.

And you clearly are on the Rey is a Mary Sue train which is so bunk and silly I'll pass on going down that line of debate.

You're wrong on the timeline. The massacre occurred when Kylo was a teenager, which would make Rey around ~4-7, which is exactly how old she looked in the Forceback.

Bloodline was set six years before TFA. We know Ben's about 29/30 in TFA (source: King Pablo) so he was at least 23 when he found out Vader was his grandfather and the massacre took place some time after that.

Rey's about 19 in TFA so she was left on Jakku well before Ben betrayed Luke and the other Jedi he was training. It doesn't rule out her being Luke's daughter, but it seems her being left on Jakku and the massacre are unrelated.

Surfinn

edit: for the record, I'm actually more fond of the "she's a nobody" idea. I think it adds much more weight to the "meaning" of her story, which is that with a little faith in what the universe has given you you can do amazing things.

I like the idea too. Of all things I didn't/don't like about JJ and the way he makes films, one thing I REALLY loved about what he said is his vision of The Force being wielded by any person regardless of bloodline.

I do hope we one day see Rey meet her parents or parent, whether it's through The Force, a memory, or in person, regardless of who they are, even for a brief moment (imagine how incredibly powerful that could be.. I'm thinking of when Harry envisions his parents in HP). Who knows, if they are indeed "nobodys", maybe they had legitimate reasons for doing what they did to save her life (and maybe it better connects her in the overarching plotline and her connections to other characters). And then I hope Luke takes over as the father figure in her life.

However.. the strongest piece of evidence we have in regard to the theory that she's Luke's daughter is the entire lightsaber scene where Maz reveals the family line that's led directly to her. I thought it was painfully obvious that the film was at least trying to paint a picture of her being a Skywalker.. and Luke's daughter.

Honestly it could go either way. But I'm guessing Luke's daughter or she's no one. A Kenobi lineage would make the universe feel incredibly smaller than it already does. I'd absolutely love Rey to be a nobody who ends up connecting with powerful family lineages along her path.

The Force can be strong.. with anyone.

Curufinwe

It's pretty crazy how much discussion there is around Rey's parents considering there are only two possible choices: Luke/Mystery woman or Han/Leia

What's even crazier is that there isn't another woman to pair with Luke.

Luke/Leia, and the in-breeding is what makes her force powers so strong.

Guys I need your help.

Few months ago on youtube(trending) a video blog popped up with the retarded spoilery title that went something like[WARNING]:
"Rey revealed as a Skywalker."

It pissed me off and depressed that some idiot ruined the next movie for me.

But was it true or just some bull?

Of course it's bull. Do you believe everything you see in Youtube video titles? They're there to get you to click, dude.

Also don't use 'retarded' like that. Thanks.

Surfinn

One line they left out of the film that was one of my absolute favorites (wish it made the cut):

"Who are you?" "No one."

Maybe that ends up being true in some way.

Sephzilla

Rey also starts out as a nobody on a desert planet who dreams of bigger and better things, just like two other characters

Review_AnakinSkywalkerTatooineEI_still.jpg

Surfinn

Rey also starts out as a nobody on a desert planet who dreams of bigger and better things, just like two other characters

Two other characters who were coincidentally mentioned in order of saber ownership right before it was offered to Rey (after her Forceback).

Along with Maz's family lineage speech?

Meh you can dismiss anything away as a red herring. Again not saying it's set in stone though.

I don't think it's a red herring when it falls in line with a numerous amount of other things that line up with the "She's a Skywalker" theory. A better example of a red herring would be Rey having an accent.

And her having visions/dreams of Luke

I'm not saying that she won't be a Skywalker.

What I mean is that the way we've received "on the nose" clues about her lineage is very ripe for being exploited as a red herring later on.

If it is Luke, why did he abandon his daughter on a desert planet just like the one he was so desperate to escape from when he was a kid?

As far as Leia knew, he was still training Ben and the other Jedi trainees six years before TFA. Rey was around 13 then and had been on Jakku for several years. Why just drop her there and carry on training Jedi?

Sephzilla

What I mean is that the way we've received "on the nose" clues about her lineage is very ripe for being exploited as a red herring later on.

Considering how many signs are pointing to her being a Skywalker, I think it would be more of a bait and switch than a red herring. But that's just semantics.

If it is Luke, why did he just abandon his daughter on desert planet just like the one he was so desperate to escape from when he was a kid?

As far as Leia knew, he was still training Ben and the other Jedi trainees six years before TFA. Rey was around 13 then and had been on Jakku for several years. Why just drop her there and carry on training Jedi?

Unless there have been revisions to the canon that I'm not aware of, Kylo Ren turned when he was in his late teens. Which means Rey would have been around 5-6 when it all went down, which is the same time she was left on Jakku.

Considering how many signs are pointing to her being a Skywalker, I think it would be more of a bait and switch than a red herring.

As a literary device, a red herring is a kind of bait and switch.

If it is Luke, why did he just abandon his daughter on desert planet just like the one he was so desperate to escape from when he was a kid?

His process of discovering the Force turns out to have been a pretty successful model, esp compared to the two other prototypes we have (Anakin and Kylo).

What's your reasoning behind this though? When have we been misled in the past, aside from the Vader reveal which was more accidentally created than a purposeful red herring?

Because while they were busy stuffing the story with obvious clues pointing to Rey being a Skywalker heir, they dropped much subtler fatherly undertones in Rey's relationship with Han.

Again, see how many people comment on the lightsaber thing (which, as I've said, could come from other side of the Skywalker line) but gloss over Rey inheriting more actual stuff from Han over the course of the film.

With how coy they're being about her parentage despite those very obvious clues that most theater-goers picked up on in a first viewing, it feels like they're setting people up to have one expectation that they'll later subvert. I find it much less likely that they'd keep such an easy conclusion a big secret than I do that the easy conclusion is the result of misdirection.

Surfinn

What's your reasoning behind this though? When have we been misled in the past, aside from the Vader reveal which was more accidentally created than a purposeful red herring?

Unless there have been revisions to the canon that I'm not aware of, Kylo Ren turned when he was in his late teens. Which means Rey would have been around 5-6 when it all went down, which is the same time she was left on Jakku.

In Bloodline it's revealed Kylo was still training with Luke when he was 23. He's 29/30 in TFA. At some point in between he turned on Luke.

Sephzilla

It's also possibly that Luke left Rey on Jakku to keep her safe from Kylo Ren, even before Ren turned. The whole reason Han and Leia let Luke train Kylo Ren because they feared Ren had "too much Vader in him". It's possible that Luke sensed this as well and didn't want his daughter to be caught in the crossfire. Luke could have also seen a vision of the future too.

His voice was in her flashback

So was Vader, Luke, and Yoda's

He trained Kylo Ren. Is that the "last time"? Because she was exiled before Kylo went nuts.

So? Ren is just a normal Jedi who turned to the Dark Side. He could have been brought Rey to train, and decided that it was too much of a risk to the galaxy to do so, thus sending her to exile.

The "Last Time" is what happened with his father. He knows what can happen when you deal with someone who fits the prophecy and other stuff. So instead of playing with fire, or killing the kid, send her off to a desolate planet in order to stash her away from the Sith.

Clearly she is known to some degree, so she isn't just some random person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom