• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing that would be strange is if it were Luke's kid and Han and Leia knew and didn't say anything. They had their own son seduced by Snoke--one who actually had legitimate training under Luke, and yet they'd let Luke's untrained daughter put herself into danger time after time?

The cleanest answer is that she's Obi-Wan or Luke's daughter and this fact was kept hidden from the Solo's.

Surfinn

In Bloodline it's revealed Kylo was still training with Luke when he was 23. He's 29/30 in TFA. At some point in between he turned on Luke.
I'd rather wait for confirmation in the films or from the storyboard team as stuff in books often conflicts with what's represented in the final product of the main films. Do we have official confirmation on this moving forward?

I'd rather wait for confirmation in the films or from the storyboard team as stuff in books often conflicts with what's represented in the final product of the main films. Do we have official confirmation on this moving forward?

Nothing's conflicted with the films since the canon wipe as far as I'm aware. Rian Johnson also had some input in Bloodline so I think it's unlikely they'll conflict.

Ding-Ding

I still hold fast to the idea that she can't possibly be Luke's daughter because of Maz's speech to her in the catacombs. Basically saying, "your parents left you but Luke won't" which wouldn't make sense at all if Luke was also her parent.

I think Maz's speach indicates its not parents that left her, just one of the parents.

This is highlighted further in the book, as during Rey's flashback she hears a voice she recognizes (its stated as 'that voice'). The two spoken sentences by that person are as follows.

"Stay here, I'll come back for you" and "I'll come back, sweetheart, I promise"

So it indicates that just one person left her and its most likely a parent. However, they had every intention of returning. So that pretty much rules out Han & Leia as they obviously didn't.

So I would guess it was Rey's mother that left her, however she died shortly afterwards. It wouldn't surprise me if the scene was missing from the film as the mother herself is going to be a reveal.

So for me its Luke as her father as there are just too many little hints. The lightsaber. The connection with the force. The Falcon, which Luke called junk and Rey called garbage. Then the most telling the final scene. Luke looking emotional in not only seeing his daughter but also finding out she is neck deep in it. Rey's reaction also shifts at the end towards a more 'you bastard, you abandoned me' look.

If I had to guess the mother, it would be Erso.

Ogodei

She's too young for it to be Obi-Wan. Even if he had fooled around with a woman a few months before he died, that's 32 years before she was born, and she seems barely 18.

Could be a grandchild, but then we'd have to introduce Kenobi's son/daughter and that would be too big a hole to fill.

Otherwise you get into sperm-freezing/cloning shit, which would also get a dim reception from audiences.

Surfinn

Nothing's conflicted with the films since the canon wipe as far as I'm aware. Rian Johnson also had some input in Bloodline so I think it's unlikely they'll conflict.
There was debate about the "It is you" line from the book that was left out of the film which provides different information/implication from what we see in the film itself. Don't know if that was ever resolved though. Not exactly a contradiction but quite different.

She's too young for it to be Obi-Wan. Even if he had fooled around with a woman a few months before he died, that's 32 years before she was born, and she seems barely 18.

Could be a grandchild, but then we'd have to introduce Kenobi's son/daughter and that would be too big a hole to fill.

Otherwise you get into sperm-freezing/cloning shit, which would also get a dim reception from audiences.

Sounds like a perfect addition to Rebels season 4, more merchandise, and an Obi-Wan themed film after Episode IX to me.

Luke having not had a child just seems unlikely to me though.

It's Luke. Maz Kanata pretty much laid it out there for anyone with a brain. Younger kids might not pick up on it, but I mean...

She connects the goddamn dots, people.

Surfinn

It's Luke. Maz Kanata pretty much laid it out there for anyone with a brain. Younger kids might not pick up on it, but I mean...

It might not be that simple. JJ himself expressed interest in anyone being able to be a powerful force user.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet, even if it seems obvious.

I seriously doubt they left us with that crazy cliffhanger to just be like "I'm your father" in EP8, lol.

So you'll eat major crow if she isn't? Until there is 100% confirmation lets not throw out absolutes.

It is more likely that she is Luke daughter but I have serious misgivings. Considering her age and when she was left to fend for herself on Jakuu and Luke's own disappearance which occurs between ROTJ and TFA but after Ben is over 20 years old since Leia still wrote to him at over 23.

Ogodei

Sounds like a perfect addition to Rebels season 4, more merchandise, and an Obi-Wan themed film after Episode IX to me.

Luke having not had a child just seems unlikely to me though.

it would have to be done before they revealed her parentage, otherwise the reveal would leave most viewers feeling blue-balled.

I should have put that nicer. "For anyone with enough sense to pick up on what she was very heavily implying". Sure, we could get some JJ stuff going on where it turns out that "nope, you're just midichlorians too Rey", but I don't think Disney would let them get away with putting a stick in the hornets nest that hard.

So you'll eat major crow if she isn't? Until there is 100% confirmation lets not throw out absolutes.

It is more likely that she is Luke daughter but I have serious misgivings. Considering her age and when she was left to fend for herself on Jakuu and Luke's own disappearance which occurs between ROTJ and TFA but after Ben is over 20 years old since Leia still wrote to him at over 23.

Leia might not even know about her. Or maybe she does and we just don't know it yet. The hug would make sense, in that case, as does the scene cutting away from Han when Maz asked who she was.

Not gonna eat crow either. Been wrong before, and JJ is known to be misleading with the storylines. Can't say for sure, but evidence thus far points to it. Also, only a Sith deals in absolutes.

It might not be that simple. JJ himself expressed interest in anyone being able to be a powerful force user.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet, even if it seems obvious.

I seriously doubt they left us with that crazy cliffhanger to just be like "I'm your father" in EP8, lol.

"I only wanted to keep you safe, young Palpatine. The First Order was seeking you, and the only thing I could do was keep you away from me."

Not

Banned
She doesn't have parents. It's like, she's so powerful she didn't even need a uterus to be born. Not even Anakin can say that brehs

They don't have to introduce anyone really. Just reveal that her parents were in danger or about to embark on a dangerous mission. They left her intending to come back when things were safe. They died.

Cuburt

It seems unlikely she’s the child of Leia, given that Leia greets Rey like a stranger in the movie.
But they also have that unexplained hug after Han dies, where Leia walks past Chewie to hug someone she doesn't even know.

Maybe there was a scene explaining something that was cut.

Carrie Fisher recently said something about how she could feel Rey was force sensitive or something but that still seems strange to me.

I always suspected that she was an unknown daughter of Han and that Kylo Ren would be her brother, but we got nothing that explicitly makes that connection in TFA.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Anakin was born with no daddy
Rey is stronger so she was born witout a mom or dad

lol

Luke knocked up Kenobi's secret daughter

Her father is Luke and her mother is of the Kenobi line, probably Obi-wan's daughter.

I like this. In my earlier post I was gonna put maybe Leia and Obi had a fling...but this sounds better...lol.

But it makes sense now, instead of brother and sister its Luke's kid vs Leia's kid.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
binks-3.png

Seems obvious to me

Probably Obi Wan Kenobi

This. They even brought Ewan McGregor to voice him talking to her in the movie "Rey these are your first steps". Lucasfilm recently have said themselves that they're not making an Obi wan standalone soon because they're not done with the character in the saga films.

And today the peeps at collider movie talk said they've seen an unreleased episode of Rebels that definitely hints that she is related to Obi wan in some way and not Luke.

mrkgoo

I should have put that nicer. "For anyone with enough sense to pick up on what she was very heavily implying". Sure, we could get some JJ stuff going on where it turns out that "nope, you're just midichlorians too Rey", but I don't think Disney would let them get away with putting a stick in the hornets nest that hard.

Leia might not even know about her. Or maybe she does and we just don't know it yet. The hug would make sense, in that case, as does the scene cutting away from Han when Maz asked who she was.

Not gonna eat crow either. Been wrong before, and JJ is known to be misleading with the storylines. Can't say for sure, but evidence thus far points to it. Also, only a Sith deals in absolutes.

"I only wanted to keep you safe, young Palpatine. The First Order was seeking you, and the only thing I could do was keep you away from me."

I don't like the Palpatine idea but it would go with the idea that kylo ren is a descendant of the good guys gone bad, Rey is the descendant of the bad guy who has gone good.

A) You don't know that Luke dropped her off there, and IF he did, you don't know why - he could have had a death squad chasing him and didn't want his only descendant to die with him.

B) I have no idea how that makes him a shitty Jedi at all... if you mean not sensing her or w/e... Vader had no idea Leia could use the Force or was his daughter until he read Luke's mind... and Vader was the "Chosen One".

A) He could have left her with I dont know his sister, (who he never told of her existence...lol)

B) Jedi arent supposed to have attachments, having a kid is frowned upon (see Anakin) so if he had a kid thats him being a shitty Jedi.

A) He could have left her with I dont know his sister, (who he never told of her existence...lol)

B) Jedi arent supposed to have attachments, having a kid is frowned upon (see Anakin) so if he had a kid thats him being a shitty Jedi.

If JJ or whoever directs Episode VIII gives that reasoning for Luke not having any kids or a wife I'm gonna murder someone.

Yoda and Obi-Wan never pressured Luke about the old Jedi Order rules because they knew the old ways died with them and Luke was the first of the new Jedi. If thats one thing SW Legend books got right that was one thing.

Apt101

I joked earlier in the thread but I think it's clear Luke is her father. She starts as a kind of orphan on a desert planet. She puts on the helmet with the blast visor down, calling back to Luke training with Obi Won and the little laser droid on the 'Falcon. She clearly has a connection to the Skywalker family by seeing the fall of Luke's order and Anakin's fall on Mustafar. She's a natural pilot and light saber duelist. She witnesses her mentor die in front of her. Her attire is even evocative of early Skywalker. It seems like they're hitting the audience over the head with it, I'll be pleasantly surprised if there's a twist though.

Ishan

I didn't know but she thought I knew so now I know cause she thought I didn't know riddle me this riddle me that :)

KeRaSh

Hmm... If she thinks it was answered in the movie my guess would be that she's a daughter Han doesn't know about. I don't think Leia is the mother, though.
Rey is a great pilot, which she might have inherited from her dad but on the other hand it could be because of the Force... I guess I got nothing, huh?
It probably wouldn't make sense with how she described her parents leaving her back. I don't think Han would knowingly do something like that.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I still like the idea of her being Palpatine's grand daughter and really want that to happen so we can get the Skywalker/Palpatine flip for heroes and villains.

What kind of deadbeat parents drop their little girl on a desert planet to fend for herself with a bunch of filth and scumlords inhabiting it? I think a bit too highly of Han to be that guy.

Khasim

My guess is that she's Luke's daughter, but he did not know he had a daughter. Luke had a lover, they broke up, she didn't tell him she was pregnant, after the child was born she left the child in a "safe place" to do important stuff, but presumably died.

Question is whether Luke realised he had a daughter during his exile but decided to let her find him, thus becoming one of those clichéd "SHE MUST FIND HER OWN PATH" mentor figures, or if he had no idea until she was right there in front of him with his old lightsaber. His expression is too emotional to just be "who are you and wtf are you doing here how did you find me and where did you get THAT?!", to me it looks like he sensed she was his daughter, hence their mutual reaction.

But the Rey always refers that her 'parents' will come back for her, so I don't even know anymore.

I really dislike the idea of Luke leaving his child alone on a planet like he was left and with no Obi-Wan for Rey to keep an eye on her for that matter.

I'm getting mixed signals from Rey's parentage from the movie. Leia hugging her, Millennium Falcon waiting for her on Jakku, Han getting along with her, a bond with Ben Solo pushes me towards a Solo more than Skywalker.

I really dislike the idea of Luke leaving his child alone on a planet like he was left and with no Obi-Wan for Rey to keep an eye on her for that matter.

I'm getting mixed signals from Rey's parentage from the movie. Leia hugging her, Millennium Falcon waiting for her on Jakku, Han getting along with her, a bond with Ben Solo pushes me towards a Solo more than Skywalker.

Seems like its pretty clear that:

A) Max Von Sydow (Lor San Tekka) was there to watch over her, and give her the map to her (possible) dad when she was ready. Kylo Ren fucked that up.

B) Luke or Han or whoever left her and Sydow there also probably paid off Unkar Plutt and some others to watch her... hell.. maybe even left the Falcon there because Luke had a vision of her using it to escape.

I think Maz's speach indicates its not parents that left her, just one of the parents.

This is highlighted further in the book, as during Rey's flashback she hears a voice she recognizes (its stated as 'that voice'). The two spoken sentences by that person are as follows.

"Stay here, I'll come back for you" and "I'll come back, sweetheart, I promise"

So it indicates that just one person left her and its most likely a parent. However, they had every intention of returning. So that pretty much rules out Han & Leia as they obviously didn't.

So I would guess it was Rey's mother that left her, however she died shortly afterwards. It wouldn't surprise me if the scene was missing from the film as the mother herself is going to be a reveal.

So for me its Luke as her father as there are just too many little hints. The lightsaber. The connection with the force. The Falcon, which Luke called junk and Rey called garbage. Then the most telling the final scene. Luke looking emotional in not only seeing his daughter but also finding out she is neck deep in it. Rey's reaction also shifts at the end towards a more 'you bastard, you abandoned me' look.

If I had to guess the mother, it would be Erso.

Pretty much all of this. I don't think Erso is her mom, though, but it could happen.

I get the vibe that her mom ends up being a dark side user and the main baddie behind Snoke - but that's just my headcannon/fanfic.

Daft_Cat

That would be nice, but highly unlikely

Any source that has you thinking it would be highly unlikely? The between-the-lines vibe I get from interviews (including Ridley's latest comments) is that the chances of her being someone's somebody are pretty much zilch. That isn't to say she wasn't a young girl at Luke's academy, or something like that. A child of great promise and/or prophecy, perhaps - hidden on Jakku following Ren's temper tantrum... just not the actual daughter of Luke/Leia/Kenobi/Lando/Yoda/Jar Jar/ Watto/R2D2. That would be overkill after the Kylo twist - and it would take away from her character's journey from "scavenger" to "jedi".

I guess we'll see.

I could see it being Luke, he wiped her memory, and told the mother to take her to Jaaku While I go into hiding.

To me, the saber and the vision she gets makes it that it just has to be Luke. Its his fathers saber, passed on to his son, now passed onto his daughter.

After her comments, to me this is the most logical choice. Why else would Anakin and Lukes saber be "calling to her" in EP7? Aint no mystery to me.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yoda and Obi-Wan never pressured Luke about the old Jedi Order rules because they knew the old ways died with them and Luke was the first of the new Jedi. If thats one thing SW Legend books got right that was one thing.

Ehh.....it was definitely brought up in the EU as to one of the reasons that came up more that once, in referring to why Luke's relationships (til Mara) never panned out.

Granted, that was moreso Luke going through old holocrons and whatnot, but they didn't say 'go sow your wild oats' either.

Personally, I'm a bit torn - I could see Rey being Luke's kid from the symbolism and other hints...

But I don't see Luke abandoning her the same way he was abandoned, much less without any strong family member (i.e. his aunt and uncle).

And as has been brought up previously, JJ has also made several statements on the nature of the force, and not liking it 'only' being strong in the Skywalker family.

Even though Lucas made it pretty clear in the prequels that they were engineered to be that way, lol

I'm really hoping the theory about Rey being a
reincarnation of Anakin
doesn't actually turn out to be true, though.

Side-note: Anyone have a link to JJ (or someone higher up) saying that the shot with Leia-Rey hug after Han's death should have been Leia-Chewie instead? Someone brought it up in the thread, but I haven't been able to find it.

Vengal

Could still be a Kenobi right? Him calling out to her is strange and Ben had the saber longer then Vader and Luke combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom