• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So something like Mara Jade is the real Sith Lord, Snoke is her apprentice, and Kylo is Snokes secret apprentice similar to the Starkiller stuff?

I think people would get mad if The Lord of Sith turned out to be Rey's Mother because it's basically the same story of Luke (gender flipped obviously)
I think it'd be interesting if this meant Luke killed her parents

Gonna have quite the dilemma there

So something like Mara Jade is the real Sith Lord, Snoke is her apprentice, and Kylo is Snokes secret apprentice similar to the Starkiller stuff?

I think people would get mad if The Lord of Sith turned out to be Rey's Mother because it's basically the same story of Luke (gender flipped obviously)

Well not really - that would be the case if the Emperor was a puppet being controlled by another Sith.

In my theory / scenario, if you wanted to have OT analogues, would be:

Snoke = Palpatine, Kylo = Vader, and the REAL threat is Luke's wife/Rey's mother - and she has no analogue from the OT. Palpatine was a puppet to nobody. I think Snoke might be.

Also keep in mind that the Sith concept of Master/Apprentice (Rule of 2) doesn't apply here because the Sith are gone. It wouldn't be breaking rules to have more than 2 Dark side users

Well not really - that would be the case if the Emperor was a puppet being controlled by another Sith.

Snoke = Palpatine, Kylo = Vader, and the REAL threat is Luke's wife/Rey's mother - and she has no analogue from the OT. Palpatine was a puppet to nobody. I think Snoke might be.

Also keep in mind that the Sith concept of Master/Apprentice (Rule of 2) doesn't apply here because the Sith are gone. It wouldn't be breaking rules to have more than 2 Dark side users

Palpatine was Plagueis' puppet

DavidDesu

Occam's razor says Luke's her father. Besides all the heavy implication everyone else has mentioned, Disney would never assassinate the characters of Han and Leia so thoroughly as to have them continue to treat their estranged daughter as a complete stranger once she somehow fell back into their laps. It would be unbelievable callousness.

They'll gin up some reason why Luke had to leave her on Jakku "for the greater good" under the watchful protection of Max von Sydow and his Jedi groupies. Do you really think they cast him for nothing but a 2 minute intro? There will absolutely be a big emotional flashback in VIII where Luke explains to Rey why he did what he did, including how Max served the Jedi as best he could by being her Obi-wan.

And of course it makes absolutely perfect sense that it is MV Sydow's character who knows the whereabouts of Luke, always in his possession waiting for the day when Rey would discover who she is and want to find him..

ReaperXL7

That makes sense, as to the bolded while that's true it could be a situation in which Luke and his wife had a philosophical difference of opinion on the proper use of the force and her opinion was that the Sith were the true path to follow and she ended up as the one that initially influenced Kylo away from Luke.

It's been awhile since I watched 1,2 and 3 but wasn't Plagueis dead by the time episode one takes place? Or maybe he was a Red force ghost?

still holding out hope Gleeson is secretly Lukes soon

domhnall-gleeson.jpg

just too perfect as the mara jade/luke meld that we deserve dammit

i thought he would be lukes kid as soon as they announced his casting.

was pretty surprised to hear he would be playing some space nazi instead.

I still hold fast to her being Han and Leia's other kid, who passed into Luke's care for Jedi training shortly before the new Jedi were purged and has been kept secret much like how Leia was. She's the "there is another" plotline from Empire/Jedi made manifest in an actual character with actual Jedi abilities.

Every single one of the pieces of evidence that points to her having a connection to Luke still holds true - she still has the Skywalker lineage through Leia, and Luke still has history with her - but we also get a few additional gems.

Here's all the stuff connecting her to Luke/the Skywalkers:

- Inheritance of Anakin's lightsaber
- Visions of her past intertwined with Vader's/Kylo's/Luke's on Takodana
- Luke's reaction to her appearance
- Von Sydow having the missing piece of the map to Luke while also living nearby Rey

Plus these connections to Han:

- Intricate knowledge and appreciation of the Falcon
- Inheritance of the Falcon, blaster, and Chewie as a copilot
- Han's offscreen conversation about her identity with Maz
- Han's very obvious parental affection toward her

bengraven

Force Awakens makes it ridiculously obvious.
  • Rey's been having visions of Luke, for apparently quite some time. This is reaffirmed both by the conversation with Maz and when Kylo Ren tries to probe her mind.
  • The Skywalker family lightsaber calls out to her. Maz says "This lightsaber was Luke's, and his fathers before him" which makes a pretty strong implication of lineage.
  • During her vision after touching the lightsaber we hear the voices of Darth Vader (his breathing), Luke, Yoda, and Obi-Wan. The common theme that ties all of these characters together is Skywalker family - Two of them are Skywalkers and the other two are people who trained the Skywalkers.
  • Luke's reaction to seeing Rey is far too emotional for her to be a stranger.
  • Von Sydow's character, the guy who happens to have the crucial map peace to find Luke, just happens to be on Jakku was well and within reasonable distance of Rey
She's a Skywalker.

Agreed.

When he sees her I interpreted it as "who are y- oh shit"...

Boem

Also I've always seen the main numbered Star Wars movies described as the story of the Skywalker family (by both Lucas and later by Kennedy, when she introduced how they would differ from the spinoffs). Sure, if Rey's mother is Leia she's still part of that lineage, but then she'd be Rey Solo (or otherwise Rey Organa, since I don't think Leia ever adopted the Skywalker surname).

Luke is her dad.

I also never really liked the idea that Jedi weren't allowed to father children. A bit too Christian church rather than zen-master for my liking.

Number_6

Pretty much this. There's red herrings, and then there is throwing it in your face.

Daisy Ridley thought everyone knew after TFA because unless you're looking for an alternative, the movie makes it pretty damn apparent that Luke is her dad.

Eh. Daisy Ridley may not actually know the truth. Remember, Mark Hamill didn't know the truth about Vader until they filmed the reveal.

Well then the "what girl?" line doesn't add up either... so...

No dude - no.

His reaction was not a "you fucked up!" reaction - the guy he was talking to wasn't even involved, he was just a messenger.

"What girl?!" with that growl was blatantly, so blatantly meant to imply he knows of a dangerous girl that is on that planet.

Saying something to her would be A) pointless B) give up his knowledge, which is power.

I already posted it - but Kylo telling Rey would not help him at all - it would hurt his case. He wants to turn her and use her to fight Snoke and Luke both. Her knowing Luke is her dad would fuck that up completely.

My fanfic theory is that Luke's wife is a force user in the ST and she turned to the dark side, took Rey and hid her, and is behind the scenes of all of this, including Snoke.

Could easily be he's angry at his men for failing (he was) and when he heard about a new player on the field, he asked about her. Simple as that.

When he captured her, he was already angry yet interested that such a person could foil his plans. Doesn't need to be that he already knew her. He'd heard "so much about her" from his men.

From what I'm reading here, she was abandoned before Ren wrecked Luke's new Jedi order. Why would Luke abandon his daughter, or give up his daughter, yet still train his nephew? Was she kidnapped? He wouldn't give up. Does he think she's dead? You'd think he'd feel it, considering Leia could feel when
freaking Han died...

I'm still rolling with red herring on all the Luke clues, if only because it's too obvious and would play out as just so...cliche at this point.

I'd rather she be unrelated to anybody, and if she must be a relation, then let's have it be Kenobi. Why would the Skywalker lightsaber speak to her then? Because it wants to win for a change ;p

Boem

Eh. Daisy Ridley may not actually know the truth. Remember, Mark Hamill didn't know the truth about Vader until they filmed the reveal.

Could easily be he's angry at his men for failing (he was) and when he heard about a new player on the field, he asked about her. Simple as that.

When he captured her, he was already angry yet interested that such a person could foil his plans. Doesn't need to be that he already knew her. He'd heard "so much about her" from his men.

From what I'm reading here, she was abandoned before Ren wrecked Luke's new Jedi order. Why would Luke abandon his daughter, or give up his daughter, yet still train his nephew? Was she kidnapped? He wouldn't give up. Does he think she's dead? You'd think he'd feel it, considering Leia could feel when
freaking Han died...

I'm still rolling with red herring on all the Luke clues, if only because it's too obvious and would play out as just so...cliche at this point.

I'd rather she be unrelated to anybody, and if she must be a relation, then let's have it be Kenobi. Why would the Skywalker lightsaber speak to her then? Because it wants to win for a change ;p

I agree that it might be cliche, but this is Star Wars we're talking about. It's not the most complex series of movies.

Bolivar687

Banned
Luke's going to claim her early on in the movie. When she asks, "what happened to my mother?" he'll explain she was slain, by a former pupil of his, called Mara Jade, who corrupted the Knights of Ren on behalf of Snoke and hunted down the Jedi.

"She betrayed and murdered your mother."

Number_6

I agree that it might be cliche, but this is Star Wars we're talking about. It's not the most complex series of movies.

I feel that they should at least try to blow some minds with the "space opera" side of it all, like Empire did back in the day (and then pop culture + prequels tore it down again). We're too used to not being surprised by Star Wars.

Luke's going to claim her early on in the movie. When she asks, "what happened to my mother?" he'll explain she was slain, by a former pupil of his, called Mara Jade, who corrupted the Knights of Ren on behalf of Snoke and hunted down the Jedi.

"She betrayed and murdered your mother."

The circle is now re-complete

I've been team Kenobi literally since my first viewing, but this comment makes me think they instead went the more predictable Skywalker route.

Palpatine straight murdered Plagueis in his sleep after getting him drunk... I don't think he was (ever) Plagueis' puppet.

I get the vibe that Snoke is a puppet and the big "I am your father" type reveal people seem to think is coming is not gonna be Luke being Rey's dad... that (if true, which I think it is) will likely come as another poster said, in a flashback where Luke explains everything.

The big reveal is almost assuredly, IMO, going to be tied to Rey's mother (she is the big bad, most likely).

I respect your opinion and all, but as you said, you want all the clues and hints to be red herrings and for Rey to be a nobody or a Kenobi. The fact is, as others have pointed out, there are too many "red herrings" pointing to her being Luke's kid, and the other explanations don't make much sense from a story perspective.

Not even the "nobody" argument works (because of "What girl?!", the Skywalker saber calling out to her, and coming to her instead of Kylo (who is of Skywalker blood), Luke's reaction to seeing Rey, Leia sending Rey by herself to see/find Luke instead of Leia and a platoon of troops and ships going, etc... etc.... etc....).

I got a tag bet on this so she better not be a Skywalker

Get ready for your new tag :p

In the end, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Star Wars isn't a think piece movie that leaves you questioning life and your place in the world when you leave the theater. It's popcorn fare of the highest order. If you start getting into super convoluted story elements of who Reys parents are, you risk losing the audience, and boring the crap out of millions of little kids. Most of whom will be more excited to learn that Luke is her Dad instead of some lost love child of a character they know little about compared to the main three.

yuuuuuuup

this is Star Wars, not Citizen Kane or The Usual Suspects... people hoping she is some clone body for Anakin or some other crazy shit are expecting way too much

Positive she's the reincarnation of Anakin and she has no father.

See above

JJ Abrams literally recreated Wrath of Khan and told everyone he didn't for God's sake
if someone quotes this and says he also recreated A New Hope then I'm gonna stab em with a power converter

In the end, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Star Wars isn't a think piece movie that leaves you questioning life and your place in the world when you leave the theater. It's popcorn fare of the highest order. If you start getting into super convoluted story elements of who Reys parents are, you risk losing the audience, and boring the crap out of millions of little kids. Most of whom will be more excited to learn that Luke is her Dad instead of some lost love child of a character they know little about compared to the main three.

Number_6

I respect your opinion and all, but as you said, you want all the clues and hints to be red herrings and for Rey to be a nobody or a Kenobi. The fact is, as others have pointed out, there are too many "red herrings" pointing to her being Luke's kid, and the other explanations don't make much sense from a story perspective.

Not even the "nobody" argument works (because of "What girl?!", Luke's reaction to seeing Rey, Leia sending Rey by herself to see/find Luke instead of Leia and a platoon of troops and ships going, etc... etc.... etc....).

What girl? Rage combined with a desire for more information.

Luke's reaction? Likely very similar to his reaction seeing literally anybody holding his old lightsaber (not to mention arriving in the Millenium Falcon with Chewie and no Han).

Leia sending Rey by herself? It's Rey's journey, not Leia's. Leia has work to do and sending a fleet full of troops to see Luke is probably not how she would want to greet her estranged and grieving brother. That's hardly evidence of them being related. Rey is going to be Jedi. She has the lightsaber. She gets to find Luke.

Boem

Luke's reaction? Likely very similar to his reaction seeing literally anybody holding his old lightsaber (not to mention arriving in the Millenium Falcon with Chewie and no Han).

Leia sending Rey by herself? It's Rey's journey, not Leia's. Leia has work to do and sending a fleet full of troops to see Luke is probably not how she would want to greet her estranged and grieving brother. That's hardly evidence of them being related. Rey is going to be Jedi. She has the lightsaber. She gets to find Luke.

- Rey having that strong force connection to Luke's saber.

- Rey having a little home made puppet of a rebel pilot, mirroring Luke's dream and eventual place before he became a jedi. See also her rebel pilot helmet.

- Everyone involved in the production saying the numbered movies are about the Skywalker family (with the spinoffs exploring other branches).

- The whole 'chosen one/balance' storyline at the base of these movies, with Anakin's offspring at the centre.

I don't know where to start here... it's pretty clear you're convincing yourself that she isn't his kid or that something else is going on.

The way he says "What girl?!" is not rage, I mean he's pissed, but it CLEARLY implies fear/anxiety over a certain girl on the planet. They specifically point out a girl was with them.

And Luke looks like he's gonna have a breakdown because he saw his old saber? Really??

And why is it Rey's journey when she has no relation to Luke? Leia has been looking for Luke for years and sends a random girl?

Come on, lol.

I think they will mix it up, just not in regards to Rey's parentage.

PT - Anakin > OT - His children > NT - His grandchildren

Yuuuuuuup. People seem to be forgetting that Kathleen Kennedy herself said the main movies are the Skywalker's story. This isn't about other people or "nobodies". That is what the new EU and side films are for.

Luke could have easily been the one who sent her to exile knowing the possible consequences of having such a powerful Jedi be in existence and trained, considering what happened last time.

- Rey having a little home made puppet of a rebel pilot, mirroring Luke's dream and eventual place before he became a jedi. See also her rebel pilot helmet.

- Everyone involved in the production saying the numbered movies are about the Skywalker family (with the spinoffs exploring other branches).

- The whole 'chosen one/balance' storyline at the base of these movies, with Anakin's offspring at the centre.

Every single thing you've mentioned here could be explained without her being Luke's kid (
because Luke isn't the only living Skywalker in Ep VII
).

vctor182

She and the Millennium Falcon where left on the same planet, she knew how to pilot it even though the Falcon was grounded for a long time. Han offered her to stay with them after delivering BB-8. She's Han & Leia's daughter

Every single thing you've mentioned here could be explained without her being Luke's kid (
).

If you're implying she is Han and Leia's kid - nope. She is more likely a nobody (which is unlikely as hell).

Its crazy how much of a connection this series has to my childhood, my adulthood. Little things like that line in TFA, hit me hard. Anyways: I think she is a Kenobi. although I would be shocked if she is Luks daughter.

Her being a Kenobi is more likely than the nobody or her being Leia and Han's kid, but she almost surely isn't.

Luke and Anakin's saber calling to her, her parallels to Anakin and Luke, Han realizing who she is (When Maz asks Han "Who's the girl?" and then it cuts to black... they both knew/know). I could go on.

This entire thing is being set-up to be a showdown (or joining of forces at the end) between the grandchildren of Anakin, Leia's son vs. Luke's daughter.

She and the Millennium Falcon where left on the same planet, she knew how to pilot it even though the Falcon was grounded for a long time. Han offered her to stay with them after delivering BB-8. She's Han & Leia's daughter

I give up.

Boem

).

He is. Leia never called herself Skywalker, always Organa (and possibly Solo at one point).

Also Leia was (sadly) never a Jedi and never owned a lightsaber. She also wasn't a part of Rey's vision at all. She also never was a rebel pilot. Also Anakin and Luke were part of the prophecy/balance storyline, not Leia. Those points all still stand.

I'm not trying to argue that she has to be Luke's daughter because I think it would make for a better movie. I'm just saying that the signs so obviously point to her being Luke's kid that it would be weird not to do it. I don't think Lucasfilm is that invested in reinventing the wheel here. It's a billion dollar franchise, not a quirky indie production.

Also, quite frankly, I think Leia's role will be fairly limited in these movies, if only because Carrie Fisher (as she has admitted herself numerous times the last couple of years) just isn't the kind of actress to carry heavy emotional scenes. And I say that as someone who loves Fisher as a person (and who is happy she's involved at all). She has said a lot of times that she felt fairly uncomfortable being on set again and that she felt out of place, being among these better actors (for more insight into her manic depression I can heartily recommend Stephen Fry's documentary on the subject, where she talks about it very frankly, and which explains her current attitude to acting).

Lovely woman, but I think Disney will go for the easy option and have Mark Hamill be her dad.

she knew how to pilot it

hmmm...

-Rey destroys two ties five minutes after first stepping into the falcon(her first time piloting a freighter)

-Luke destroys death star five minutes after first stepping into x-wing(his first time piloting a fighter)

-Anaking destroys Trade Federation droid control ship five minutes after first stepping into naboo starfighter(his first time piloting a fighter)

I sense a pattern here...

Number_6

-The lightsaber thing is difficult to argue, which is why I had some fun with it. I'd just be disappointed if she is Luke's daughter, as I've expressed before.

-What other heroes would a young Rey have to look up to growing up? She's got legends of Luke Skywalker and remnants of brave rebel pilots that once fought for freedom above Jakku. That's it.

-Kylo Ren is already a member of the Skywalker family.

-Ohh, for the most part I loathe chosen one stories. I find them unforgivably lazy, and I wish they'd go away for a while. The "balance to the force" plot point from the prequels is one (of many) reasons I would nuke the whole prequel trilogy from orbit, if given the chance.

The only chosen one story I can think of off the top of my head right now that I find tolerable--even good--is the one found in Dune, and that's only because the prophecy was falsely and cynically created and implanted for the sole purpose of being exploited later, and the main character "chosen one" took full advantage.

I don't know where to start here... it's pretty clear you're convincing yourself that she isn't his kid or that something else is going on.

The way he says "What girl?!" is not rage, I mean he's pissed, but it CLEARLY implies fear/anxiety over a certain girl on the planet. They specifically point out a girl was with them.

And Luke looks like he's gonna have a breakdown because he saw his old saber? Really??

And why is it Rey's journey when she has no relation to Luke? Leia has been looking for Luke for years and sends a random girl?

Come on, lol.

Yuuuuuuup. People seem to be forgetting that Kathleen Kennedy herself said the main movies are the Skywalker's story. This isn't about other people or "nobodies". That is what the new EU and side films are for.

I don't think Kylo's fear of some previously known girl is clear at all. He fears failing his master, sure. He doesn't fear Rey in any direct way until the interrogation, and then it's more that he fears being defeated by some nobody girl when he's the grandson of Darth Vader and he is supposed to be so much more powerful. Like, Rey literally speaks his fears out loud in the interrogation scene.

Luke could have a breakdown simply because he was found by another eager apprentice after swearing the whole thing off and exiling himself when all his trainees were murdered by Kylo Ren. Now he has to face this whole situation again. Doesn't necessarily require a blood relative at his doorstep. Just someone with power to drag him back into the fold to face his demons.

Maybe the Skywalkers' story concludes with them cleaning up their last familial mess and then passing the torch to some new people.

Honestly though, I'm just having some fun. There's more clues for Luke than against, but that'd be quite the anticlimax for me, personally.

Luke could have easily been the one who sent her to exile knowing the possible consequences of having such a powerful Jedi be in existence and trained, considering what happened last time.

He trained Kylo Ren. Is that the "last time"? Because she was exiled before Kylo went nuts.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My vote is on Luke. It's such an obvious choice that nobody believes they would do it, so they probably will.

I still hold fast to the idea that she can't possibly be Luke's daughter because of Maz's speech to her in the catacombs. Basically saying, "your parents left you but Luke won't" which wouldn't make sense at all if Luke was also her parent.

"Your father was murdered by Darth Vader" (paraphrased).

And yeah, I know that's because when making IV it wasn't yet decided that Luke's father and Vader would turn out to be the same person, but maybe they wanted to play on that again with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom