• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Yoda did too.
But Obi spoke to her.. Twice!!

I think it's easy to focus on specific info when you want to frame a theory.

But seriously.. Anyone who thinks you can watch TFA and draw a real conclusion (our exclude other well established ones) about who Rey is based on that info is kidding themselves.

The film is clearly not designed that way.

I wanna apologize to anyone still reading the thread for my contributions to the thread's still being prone and available for the day's worth of kicking and lashing it has suffered on its way to becoming glue.

This was fairly obviously mostly my fault and I should have known better.

I want her to be the daughter of Qui Gon, Dexter Jettster, and Yoda.
So Qui Gon force ghost fucked Yoda and implanted baby Rey in Dexter? Shoot, that seems like a really obvious solution too. But then she wouldn't be a Skywalker unless it turns out Qui Gon was actually Anakin's deadbeat dad and used his Jedi mind tricks to make Smi forget that they hooked up a few year's prior to him showing up to claim his son.

I wanna apologize to anyone still reading the thread for my contributions to the thread's still being prone and available for the day's worth of kicking and lashing it has suffered on its way to becoming glue.

What are you talking about.

So Qui Gon force ghost fucked Yoda and implanted baby Rey in Dexter? Shoot, that seems like a really obvious solution too. But then she wouldn't be a Skywalker unless it turns out Qui Gon was actually Anakin's deadbeat dad and used his Jedi mind tricks to make Smi forget that they hooked up a few year's prior to him showing up to claim his son.
That's why he didn't want to free her. He didn't want to be saddled with the slave he had a one night stand with.

Surfinn

Sorry?

tci

Why would the lightsaber call to a Kenobi?

Watch Teaser trailer 2

Luke's voice :
The Force is strong in my family,
My father had it (shot of Vader's mangled helmet),
I have it (Luke places hand on R2D2),
My sister has it (Maz hands light saber to Rey).
Screen goes black (You have that power too).

Seems odd they would deliberately use those lines and imagery if Rey wasn't a Skywalker, at least to me.
Not only that...

She has a doll from one of the X-Wing fighter squadrons. Likely given to her when she was a child, or she made it herself. She wears the fighter helmet, the same that luke did.

It's almost that it is too likely. And it's the reason people are so unsure I guess. I am not gonna say this with 100% certainty. Though it is most likely.

opoth

Banned
Just because people are theorizing about what comes next doesn't mean it wasn't written well.

That is really the biggest thing, this is the first time we have all REALLY wondered what's coming next since 1980. The prequels were the prequels, we knew the general gist of their end before we even saw them begin. I don't think it's a feeling anyone remembers much in this series anymore. Kind of makes me wish message boards were around right after Empire was released.

Who am I kidding, Empire's ending would have had a massive backlash at the time.

That is really the biggest thing, this is the first time we have all REALLY wondered what's coming next since 1980. The prequels were the prequels, we knew the general gist of their end before we even saw them begin. I don't think it's a feeling anyone remembers much in this series anymore. Kind of makes me wish message boards were around right after Empire was released.

Who am I kidding, Empire's ending would have had a massive backlash at the time.

I think there are Usenet records of that time. IIRC there was a debate over whether it was Clone wars or Colon wars among other things. (Not even kidding)

Yup. Even kathleen kennedy said it. How rey is related to everybody is up for debate.

But, rey being a kenobi sounds like horrendously bad fan fiction.
I don't think it is that far-fetched. Kenobi is in like every movie one way or the other. Kenobi gave guidance to Skywalkers, and that would fit the bill for Kylo BenRen SoloSkywalker and Rey

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The only way I can imagine her being his daughter is something like:

Leia and Han have Ben first. A few years later Luke has his own daughter, might not even be known other than to himself.

Ben shows signs of being pulled by the dark side, so Luke thinks the same could happen with his daughter. Deciding to focus solely on Ben, he leaves his daughter with some force church people or whatever.

Luke fails from saving Ben, Ben kills his students and disappears, joins Snooke and creates his little knights gang. Luke leaves looking for answers.

Kylo hunts down and kills the people who are with Rey (seen in the vision, it looks like they even tried to kill Rey to avoid having her fall into Kylo's hands, and Kylo saves her). Since it's a rainy planet, it's probably not Jakku.

How she ends up dumped on Jakku. Could be people who rescued her but had to dump her, and maybe Von Sydow was supposed to watch over her without getting too close so as to not put her in danger.

I think when Maz says "Whoever you are waiting for are never coming back", the use of "whoever" could imply that those people are not who she thinks they are, they aren't her family.

Whatever the case, I really wonder how VIII will start. If they don't start right from where VII ended, we'll never get to see Luke's reaction to Han having died, his reunion with R2 and Chewie. It was a bad idea to end the movie on that scene, it sort of fucked up the transition to VIII. Starting exactly where VIII ended would be really weird, especially since Rey would have to go over what happened, so they kind of have to leap ahead.

They had too, they had to leave it open ended man while introducing a new cast of characters. You guys have no idea how difficult a task JJ had, he had to rebuild goodwill, while keeping enough things up in the air so that the story can continue.

It was monumental.

eh, the prequels demonstrated you could put any crap on the screen and people would buy it. there was no "lost goodwill", it's not as if people stopped buying Star Wars stuff. all he had to do was not fuck it up monumentally and make movies worse than the prequels. they ended up making $2 billion doing the safest thing possible, making a Disney remake of the first Star Wars. not that this is bad, every movie is more or less a remake of that first film, but let's have some perspective here: it's not like Disney was ever actually in danger of doing worse than Jar Jar in the Phantom Menace, and that movie still made a billion dollars.

eh, the prequels demonstrated you could put any crap on the screen and people would buy it. there was no "lost goodwill", it's not as if people stopped buying Star Wars stuff. all he had to do was not fuck it up monumentally and make movies worse than the prequels. they ended up making $2 billion doing the safest thing possible, making a Disney remake of the first Star Wars. not that this is bad, every movie is more or less a remake of that first film, but let's have some perspective here: it's not like Disney was ever actually in danger of doing worse than Jar Jar in the Phantom Menace, and that movie still made a billion dollars.

Why assume that JJ only cares about the bottom line? We all know money comes heavily into play with major studio films but you act like Abrams and Disney don't and didn't care at all about quality. Way too cynical a view.

Why assume that JJ only cares about the bottom line? We all know money comes heavily into play with major studio films but you act like Abrams and Disney don't and didn't care at all about quality. Way too cynical a view.

The money argument is incredibly cynical but more than that, ignorant. If it weren't for money we wouldn't have movies or anything. Making money IS important. It doesn't mean the actual creators, artists and the ridiculous amount of people in general that works on films doesn't care about their work and vision. The studio suits aren't making the films.

I think this is 100% false.

Jocund

Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm.

Lucasfilm.

The simple fact is that the main storyline of Star Wars is supposed to follow the Skywalker family. If Rey is not a Skywalker, then that effectively ends the Skywalker lineage and any ability to have future movies be about it. They HAVE to have someone be a Skywalker to continue their story, and if it isn't Rey, then they have to pull a secret love child of Lukes out from somewhere or some shit in a future movie. Maybe the following trilogy after this one? In Episode 10, maybe Rey, as a Kenobi, finds and trains the child, or grandchild of Luke. Talk about coming full circle.

But the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. The audience expects Rey to be Lukes kid, and that's what they'll give them.

The simple fact is that the main storyline of Star Wars is supposed to follow the Skywalker family. If Rey is not a Skywalker, then that effectively ends the Skywalker lineage and any ability to have future movies be about it. They HAVE to have someone be a Skywalker to continue their story, and if it isn't Rey, then they have to pull a secret love child of Lukes out from somewhere or some shit in a future movie. Maybe the following trilogy after this one? In Episode 10, maybe Rey, as a Kenobi, finds and trains the child, or grandchild of Luke. Talk about coming full circle.

But the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. The audience expects Rey to be Lukes kid, and that's what they'll give them.

The sequel trilogy is already about a Skywalker: Kylo Ren.

Sounds like the plot for Kingdom of Heaven. If only they could get Liam Neeson to play the deadbeat dad.

Since the entire franchise loves symmetry (for better and worse) I'd find it disappointing if Rey were actually Luke's daughter. It makes more sense to have two grandchildren battling each other than cousins.

Vader vs Obi-Wan :: Kylo vs Rey

opoth

Banned

Please mark your spoilers.

I don't go around and search out theories or anything but my own thoughts is Rey is a Kenobi and a Skywalker.

In the comics, between ANH and Empire, Luke finds a journal once owned by Old Ben. In between story arcs, we have been getting one issue stories from this journal. My theory is in this journal, there will be an entry that talk about how Obiwan met a woman on Tatooine and fell in love and had a daughter. Luke then searches out this women. They have a relationship and they have a kid who is Rey.

#tinfoilhat
#fantheorywetdream

Twist: Luke has a long lost son, Finn. He just took more strongly after his mother (hence why he is a space-muggle, he inherited derp and height from his father). Skywalker and Kenobi lineages converge to produce the next generation of little Skynobis for a new trilogy.

I think that's a possibility that hasn't yet been discussed to death.

Experien

Really doubt Luke the jedi has a kid.

The Jedi attachment rule was more so for the old ways, he didn't necessarily live by them so I think this excuse doesn't hold up. Hold ups up even less than Obi Wan giving up ways he has lived by for his whole life.

it was hinted by the voices of
Ewen McGregor
and a
Sir Alec Guiness
sounding voice in her vision when she touched
Anakin's
light saber in The Force Awaken's

Sephzilla

-- Rey gets a Force vision from touching the Skywalker family lightsaber
-- When Maz gives Rey the lightsaber she phrases it in a way that strongly implies heritage
-- She has visions of Luke that predate the start of the movie
-- Naturally gifted pilot, like Luke and Anakin
-- Naturally strong with The Force, like Luke and Anakin
-- Can very quickly learn to use The Force, like Luke and Anakin
-- Everyone in Rey's Force vision was either a Skywalker, trained a Skywalker, or was trained by a Skywalker. Skywalkers are the common denominator.
-- Rey is a youth on a desert planet who dreams of bigger and better things, just like Luke and Anakin
-- Luke's reaction to seeing Rey is too emotional for Rey to just be a stranger
--
Rey is a Mary Sue
just like Luke and Anakin

It's so incredibly obvious that Rey is a Skywalker and Luke's daughter. Any other explanation is going to be way too much of a stretch, and since the core of the entire saga revolves around the Skywalker family it wouldn't make sense to make the main hero a Kenobi.

btrboyev

The only way I can imagine her being his daughter is something like:

Leia and Han have Ben first. A few years later Luke has his own daughter, might not even be known other than to himself.

Ben shows signs of being pulled by the dark side, so Luke thinks the same could happen with his daughter. Deciding to focus solely on Ben, he leaves his daughter with some force church people or whatever.

Luke fails from saving Ben, Ben kills his students and disappears, joins Snooke and creates his little knights gang. Luke leaves looking for answers.

Kylo hunts down and kills the people who are with Rey (seen in the vision, it looks like they even tried to kill Rey to avoid having her fall into Kylo's hands, and Kylo saves her). Since it's a rainy planet, it's probably not Jakku.

How she ends up dumped on Jakku. Could be people who rescued her but had to dump her, and maybe Von Sydow was supposed to watch over her without getting too close so as to not put her in danger.

I think when Maz says "Whoever you are waiting for are never coming back", the use of "whoever" could imply that those people are not who she thinks they are, they aren't her family.

Whatever the case, I really wonder how VIII will start. If they don't start right from where VII ended, we'll never get to see Luke's reaction to Han having died, his reunion with R2 and Chewie. It was a bad idea to end the movie on that scene, it sort of fucked up the transition to VIII. Starting exactly where VIII ended would be really weird, especially since Rey would have to go over what happened, so they kind of have to leap ahead.

There is evidence the movie will at least show the meet up of Rey and Luke. The first thing they filmed was the continuation of that scene.

Do we know who Anakin's father is? Was he a Jedi Knight? What's with Jedi having random kids and just depositing them to random planets throughout the galaxy?

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

Net

Can we get a Star Wars that doesn't focus on parents?

Even Rogue One fell victim to this shit.

There are other meaningful relationships that a character can have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom