• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would the lightsaber call to a Kenobi?

Watch Teaser trailer 2

Luke's voice :
The Force is strong in my family,
My father had it (shot of Vader's mangled helmet),
I have it (Luke places hand on R2D2),
My sister has it (Maz hands light saber to Rey).
Screen goes black (You have that power too).

Seems odd they would deliberately use those lines and imagery if Rey wasn't a Skywalker, at least to me.
Because before the film came out they were misdirecting out the ying/yang in the futile hopes of trying to keep the plot secret. Finn was Kylo Ren's Jedi opponent in that early marketing too.

phanphare

Banned

Watch Teaser trailer 2

Luke's voice :

Seems odd they would deliberately use those lines and imagery if Rey wasn't a Skywalker, at least to me.

so rey is luke's sister, confirmed

Acidote

OMG I knew it too:

ZoUb2Ws.jpg

Watch Teaser trailer 2

Luke's voice :

Trailers aren't canon, that's a silly road to go down. It's a clever way of using a line from the OT to usher in the new era of Star Wars in a teaser trailer, but that's it. The lightsaber can call to whoever the heck the writers want, and they left it vague so they have wiggle room to figure it out as they go.

Yoda did too.
Yoda and Kenobi both call out to Rey after she touches the lightsaber, yes. It is Excalibur choosing Rey as a worthy successor. Perhaps Luke's ghost council clues in on this and is reaching out through the force to Rey, using the Skywalker saber as a conduit, to guide her to Luke to get him out of his funk. Like, "Hey here's an individual that the force is favoring, maybe she can be the one to do it." I don't buy it as a familial connection, though I think Kenobi is still a contender. All signs point to nobody IMO though.

And all of these debates show why no matter who her parents are, it's going to be unsatisfying as hell, Though I must say I'm coming around to Rey Picard.

prag16

Banned

It was in Obi Wan's possession for 20 years for whatever that's worth.

I'm not sure about the theory that she's a Kenobi, but what Daisy's comments seem to cement is that she's not just a "random" as so many here were inexplicably hoping for.

Cranster

Banned
Reused audio from ESB.

They had Ewan come in and record new audio for that vision and call her by name. Why bother and not use a rehash of audio.
They used a sample of Alec Guiness's line aswell. Doesn't mean Obi Wan is her father because if that were the case she'd be alot older in the film. Rey was born years after the battle of Endor.

If she is related to any character's from the series she is more likely Luke's daughter because it makes the most logical sense.

DocSeuss

She's related to a Kenobi, or she's related to nobody.

Jedi can't fuk tho

And I can't really see "I'm the little sister of a monk dude who trained your dad" being compelling or interesting in the slightest. At that point, it would be the most useless fanservice in the series since "Darth Vader build C3PO."

I know it's unlikely that this could be true...but it's also from the Disney store. Spoiler tags would have been nice. :(

I edited my original post.

It was in Obi Wan's possession for 20 years for whatever that's worth.

I'm not sure about the theory that she's a Kenobi, but what Daisy's comments seem to cement is that she's not just a "random" as so many here were inexplicably hoping for.

They wouldn't have made her being left on Jakku a point if it were just going to be "random parent(s)."

he really was the key to all this..

He manipulated the Force to create her.

Tugatrix

Given the flamboyant personality of Obi Wan, how sure are we that he just stayed on Tattoine contemplating life. He may as well on those 20 years just find company to warm his feet at night

prag16

Banned
They wouldn't have made her being left on Jakku a point if it were just going to be "random parent(s)."

You'd think, however if you've been in Star Wars threads here for a while you know that there's a large contingent here that seen to want her to be a random with no previous connection to any saga characters.

Lebron

They used a sample of Alec Guiness's line aswell. Doesn't mean Obi Wan is her father because if that were the case she'd be alot older in the film. Rey was born years after the battle of Endor.

If she is related to any character's from the series she is more likely Luke's daughter because it makes the most logical sense.

Who said he was her father? That makes no sense. We all know Kenboi used his personal light saber back in the day and could have fathered offspring (unknown to him at the time) . It's not like they haven't used that angle before. Why not bring ghost Anakin back, or flashback Luke? Why have him call her by name and not just rehash old lines like they did with Frank?

mrkgoo

The lightsabre could Hust be the Force mcguffin to bring Rey to Luke as part of destiny. She doesn't have to be related.

She could still be the daughter of force ghost Anakin and Yoda and then implanted into Maz. She'd take Anakin's last name cuz Yoda doesn't have one. The more I think about it, the more obvious it seems.

NYR

Since the movies are all about connectivity, I'll venture that in A New Hope, when Luke first is rescued by Ben Kenobi, he was literally coming back from leaving Rey on Jakku. Means Obi Wan we doing the nasty when he was in his 50/60s, but whatever, its a movie about space and aliens.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This thread is proof of how poorly written and/or edited TFA was.

edit: Rey has a British accent in the movie too, must be a child of the Empire!

Yeah pretty much. I do like TFA as much as I bitch about it, but the writing was sloppy as hell.

They had too, they had to leave it open ended man while introducing a new cast of characters. You guys have no idea how difficult a task JJ had, he had to rebuild goodwill, while keeping enough things up in the air so that the story can continue.

It was monumental.

Randam

SW movies revolve around skywalkers.
Leia is a Skywalker.
And Vader is the most consistent part of the franchise. And now we have Leia's son who wants to be like his grandfather Darth Vader.

Why? He had one in the EU. Leia the Jedi had 3 in the EU.
That's why the EU isn't canon anymore.

Why should he make the same mistakes the old jedi order did?
Why should he make the same mistake as his father?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Loving someone was actually not his mistake. It was how the Jedi Order outlawed it. All this shit wouldnt have went down when Anakin could have lived in a public relationship with Padme. He could have seeked for help by the order regarding his visions of her death and wouldnt have needed to seek the advice of Sidious.

sphagnum

Banned
Loving someone was actually not his mistake. It was how the Jedi Order outlawed it. All this shit wouldnt have went down when Anakin could have lived in a public relationship with Padme. He could have seeked for help by the order regarding his visions of her death and wouldnt have needed to seek the advice of Sidious.

Exactly. The OJO set up the situation that drove Anakin to madness. Luke could live perfectly normally being both a Jedi and having a family if he doesn't become dogmatic about attachments, and the end of ROTJ shows that.

They had too, they had to leave it open ended man while introducing a new cast of characters. You guys have no idea how difficult a task JJ had, he had to rebuild goodwill, while keeping enough things up in the air so that the story can continue.

It was monumental.

Yeah it was tough, but the script was not a success. It doesn't get a pass. Where it succeeded it wasn't because of the script it's because JJ Abrams is good at delivering on moments, even when those moments are unearned. The film did not have to be a retread of ANH to the level that it was, and it wasn't, earlier in pre-production. Han and Leia didn't have to be essentially in the same place that they were at the end of Jedi, except broken up, the First Order didn't have to be a low-rent version of the Empire, none of those bits of plot were why the film worked. It worked because he got good performances out of the actors, and he is the best current director at roller coaster film making.

It didn't NEED a half dozen balls left up in the air going into the sequel, ANH finished things off pretty well on its own, but left room for continuation, hell even TPM didn't leave a ton of loose ends either, and it was of course going to be followed up with 2 more films. TFA if it was laying a ton of groundwork for future films, did so at the sacrifice of the first one. It leaves too much off the table,

It was monumental.

I'm pretty sure that in one of the interviews he made after the film released JJ said specifically that he felt it was important since other writer/directors would be picking up the mantle for Episodes 8/9 that his staff on Episode 7 leave them openings to take the story where they wanted it to go. In fact I believe that he said they re-wrote parts of the script because the Episode 8 writers were concerned that they'd be too boxed in, or something to that effect.

The goals they set for Episode 7 were to establish the characters and themes that they wanted to explore in the trilogy without firmly defining the roles the characters would play in getting to the conclusion. It definitely wasn't the perfect way to handle the first film (to me) but I think that they did a good job of laying the groundwork and getting moviegoers interested in where the individual characters stories were going to go in the next two movies.
It didn't NEED a half dozen balls left up in the air going into the sequel, ANH finished things off pretty well on its own, but left room for continuation, hell even TPM didn't leave a ton of loose ends either, and it was of course going to be followed up with 2 more films. TFA if it was laying a ton of groundwork for future films, did so at the sacrifice of the first one. It leaves too much off the table,
It's really easy to say this in retrospect but when you really think about where ANH begins as a story we had no idea that Vader, Luke and Leia were all going to end up being related in the end. It's pretty clear that was never the plan but ANH left things open enough for the story to get there.

Surfinn

This thread is proof of how poorly written and/or edited TFA was.

edit: Rey has a British accent in the movie too, must be a child of the Empire!
I think you're confusing poorly written with open ended/setting up for a trilogy.

Just because people are theorizing about what comes next doesn't mean it wasn't written well.

Since the movies are all about connectivity, I'll venture that in A New Hope, when Luke first is rescued by Ben Kenobi, he was literally coming back from leaving Rey on Jakku. Means Obi Wan we doing the nasty when he was in his 50/60s, but whatever, its a movie about space and aliens.
Rey would be like 45 then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom