• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
also ridley's comments could absolutely be about her being a kenobi. I mean, there are so

but answer me this, why did obi wan speak to rey in her vision? what's the significance there? there obviously is some, especially with both ewan mcgregor and alec guinness being accounted for.

that's what I'm saying though, riffing on ANH is one thing. making her Luke's daughter is a whole other thing.

I just watch TFA again over the weekend, and I get goosebumps when I hear "These are your first steps............."

phanphare

Banned
yeah the Luke thing would have maybe made sense if they didn't set up Rey's parentage to be a thing in TFA that goes unrevealed. if they really waited just to reveal it was Luke.....which is probably everyone's first thought....that doesn't sound right to me.

Her interaction with Maz reinforces her being tied in some way to the Skywalker family.

ftfy

Now, I wouldn't have been surprised if the last line of the film was Luke saying "I am your father," but that's not what happens.

If it's so obvious that it's Luke, then deferring any actual resolution to that question is pointless both thematically and as satisfying storytelling.

It feels much more like the audience is being led to a conclusion that seems obvious but could be misdirected. And with audience expectations now pretty firmly set up (and pretty widely measurable), they're in a good position to decide what to do with those expectations.

I'm more inclined to believe there's a surprise or two up their sleeves.

samn

Is the question of Rey's parentage actually of any interest to anyone? Including the Star Wars characters themselves?

Lebron

I disagree with your take for reasons that BobbyRoberts brought up on previous pages

I disagree especially with your spin on Maz's words to her. saying that Maz is talking about the people who left Rey there and not specifically her parents....no. that doesn't make any sense.

also ridley's comments could absolutely be about her being a kenobi. I mean, there are so many things that link them in the film that if true would seem pretty obvious in hindsight. hell one could even argue that the blatant ANH parallels are to lead you to the not so blatant ones, like the final saber fight being between a skywalker and a kenobi or rey stealthing around the base much like obi wan in ANH. or rey's first words being in an alien tongue.

but answer me this, why did obi wan speak to rey in her vision? what's the significance there? there obviously is some, especially with both ewan mcgregor and alec guinness being accounted for.

that's what I'm saying though, riffing on ANH is one thing. making her Luke's daughter is a whole other thing.
Oh I'm in the same camp as you that she's most likely tied to Obi-Wan, or maybe just a random nobody with the gift. Being Luke's daughter doesn't make any much sense after watching TFA. Why they would call Ewan out to record that if she wasn't tied to Kenobi? Why is he talking to Luke's daughter? Because "hur dur he watched over her father so there's a connection"? She doesn't know nor should care much who that is, if that were the case. If anything, Luke knew who she was and maybe watched over her in some aspect when she was younger. I'll take that. But being her father? Stupid

Emarv

The accent thing is the most confusing. Why they have everyone do an American accent but Obi-Wan and Rey is weird. I'm not too hung up on it, but it seems like a very specific choice to rob Boyega of his dope British accent.

I guess they could establish that Rey's mom is Space British and that's why....I guess. Whatever.

Is the question of Rey's parentage actually of any interest to anyone? Including the Star Wars characters themselves?

The wish to be reunited with her long-lost family is the primary source of Rey's fear and uncertainty.

The accent thing is the most confusing. Why they have everyone do an American accent but Obi-Wan and Rey is weird. I'm not too hung up on it, but it seems like a very specific choice to rob Boyega of his dope British accent.

I guess they could establish that Rey's mom is Space British and that's why....I guess. Whatever.

The only person who we know Rey regularly interacts with on Jakku who speaks English (Unkar Plutt) has a British accent.

Emarv

Besides Rey's desire for a family, not yet, but theoretically it could interest the villains in particular. Snoke being terrified of Luke and by extension his progeny. Ben being afraid there's an even truer heir to Darth Vader, etc.

The only person who we know Rey regularly interacts with on Jakku who speaks English (Unkar Plutt) has a British accent.

So you're telling me Unkar Plutt is her dad? Now we're talking!

I disagree with your take for reasons that BobbyRoberts brought up on previous pages

I disagree especially with your spin on Maz's words to her. saying that Maz is talking about the people who left Rey there and not specifically her parents....no. that doesn't make any sense.

also ridley's comments could absolutely be about her being a kenobi. I mean, there are so many things that link them in the film that if true would seem pretty obvious in hindsight. hell one could even argue that the blatant ANH parallels are to lead you to the not so blatant ones, like the final saber fight being between a skywalker and a kenobi or rey stealthing around the base much like obi wan in ANH. or rey's first words being in an alien tongue.

Her sneaking around, the alien tongue, and the lightsaber thing are barely even parallels, Luke and the others were sneaking around, too, and the lightsaber would only work if you knew she was a Kenobi beforehand.

Making her a Kenobi would require so much exposition and hurdles to jump for the storytellers that its bad fanfic-worthy at best.

Well JJ and company are calling the shots so wouldn't surprise me.

"let's make a death star planet this time and have them blow it up"

Starkiller was literally the only "downside" of TFA... and it makes sense that the Empire, who was never very flexible or imaginative to begin with, would just build a bigger Death Star.

Besides Rey's desire for a family, not yet, but theoretically it could interest the villains in particular. Snoke being terrified of Luke and by extension his progeny. Ben being afraid there's an even truer heir to Darth Vader, etc.

So you're telling me Unkar Plutt is her dad? Now we're talking!

Yup.

It's all about her being a the "Truer" heir in Kylo's eyes (hello Sword in the Stone homage at the end of TFA... Buehler???) , and a weapon in Snoke's, etc...

Holy shit - RIP Carrie Fisher... :(

Fuck you, 2016

Her sneaking around, the alien tongue, and the lightsaber thing are barely even parallels, Luke and the others were sneaking around, too, and the lightsaber would only work if you knew she was a Kenobi beforehand.

Making her a Kenobi would require so much exposition and hurdles to jump for the storytellers that its bad fanfic-worthy at best.

this 10000000x this. how anyone thinks this even even a legitimate idea is beyond me. There's nothing that suggests this in the movie, there really is nothing.
Starkiller was literally the only "downside" of TFA... and it makes sense that the Empire, who was never very flexible or imaginative to begin with, would just build a bigger Death Star.

It's like the universe got it's first nuclear weapon in A New Hope, the US didn't just scrap nukes, we went on to build Hydrogen bombs.

it makes sense in the universe, build a super weapon, then expand on it. It's really simple. Why would someone just scrap a proven power such as the death star when there's never been anything close to it's ability across the galaxy.

Starkiller Base makes so much sense, it's silly to pretend otherwise really.

Luke doesn't have a British accent, but Kenobi and Rey do............Why did JJ tell Finn to speak with an american accent, but Rey was allowed to carry on?

I think shes Lukes kid, The rebel dolls kind of told me so plus all the other stuff. But it is interesting.

phanphare

Banned

you didn't answer my question :)

edit: also you say that her being a kenobi would require a ton of exposition. would you say that it would require so much that it could perhaps constitute a spin off trilogy about obi wan? ;p

Lebron

this 10000000x this. how anyone thinks this even even a legitimate idea is beyond me. There's nothing that suggests this in the movie, there really is nothing.

It's like the universe got it's first nuclear weapon in A New Hope, the US didn't just scrap nukes, we went on to build Hydrogen bombs.

it makes sense in the universe, build a super weapon, then expand on it. It's really simple. Why would someone just scrap a proven power such as the death star when there's never been anything close to it's ability across the galaxy.

I don't know. Maybe because a few jets can blow it up rather easily. They basically get one good use out the damn thing before it gets blown up. Welp Jim, let's build a new one and make it bigger this time. Especially now after the god tier Rogue One + ANH combo, they better not bring it back for a 4th time simply because "well they never learn hur dur". Thank god ESB didn't have to worry about that.

No it doesn't. It requires no more exposition or explaination than the Vader reveal in Empire.

The difference is there was zero context anywhere for the Vader reveal when it happened while Obi Wan having had a love affair is already canon in The Clone Wars series. Rey would be a grand daughter.

cyba89

Starkiller Base makes so much sense, it's silly to pretend otherwise really.

That's a lame-ass excuse.

I don't care if it makes sense in the universe. Repeating something for a third time is not interesting to watch.

It's fiction and not a documentation of a historical event. Be imaginative and think of something else. Something new and more exciting.

No it doesn't. It requires no more exposition or explaination than the Vader reveal in Empire.

Actually, it would.

The Vader reveal in Empire leverages events and explanations from ANH ("[Vader] betrayed and murdered your father"), then calls back to them in a way that is easily consumable for a new viewer ("Obi-Wan (who we see as a ghost earlier in the film) never told you what happened to your father", "he told me you killed him", "no, I am your father").

Since we know virtually nothing about Rey's parents except that her family left her on Jakku, that's the only context we have to use as a callback for Rey's parentage. Ep VIII would have to give us more exposition about Obi-Wan (who's obviously long dead by the time Rey could have been conceived) and his connection to Rey in the absence of that context.

That's a lame-ass excuse.

I don't care if it makes sense in the universe. Repeating something for a third time is not interesting to watch.

It's fiction and not a documentation of a historical event. Be imaginative and think of something else. Something new and more exciting.
Someone pointed this out in one of the other threads buy it seems like the writers missed an incredibly obvious way to make the new base more interesting and less derivative from the Death Star by making it do what it actually describes... kill stars.

I suppose that the resistance would still be able to just move to another system and set up shop so it would have made for a less interesting climax but the implications of what a weapon like that could do to the Galaxy would be huge.
Yes. They tried it out both ways and both agreed that a British Stormtrooper seemed off since all the previous grunts had American accents.
But... Phasma and Bond Trooper have British accents though. And didn't all of the troopers in the prequels have Australian accents? It's more likely that they just wanted more contrast between Finn and Rey, it's strange that they wouldn't just say that though.

Someone pointed this out in one of the other threads buy it seems like the writers missed an incredibly obvious way to make the new base more interesting and less derivative from the Death Star by making it do what it actually describes... kill stars.

I don't think there was any way to make it interesting and not derivative. The idea of a planet killer has been done, literally twice, and anything remotely similar is laughably unimaginative. Not to mention the question of how remnants of the Empire were able to amass the resources to build something the Empire at it's peak couldn't approach. Chalk it up to tech growth in the 30 years, it's still terrible.

Star Wars is a huge rich universe, where they could have literally come up with anything and found a way to make it plausible.

Actually, it would.

The Vader reveal in Empire leverages events and explanations from ANH ("[Vader] betrayed and murdered your father"), then calls back to them in a way that is easily consumable for a new viewer ("Obi-Wan (who we see as a ghost earlier in the film) never told you what happened to your father", "he told me you killed him", "no, I am your father").

Since we know virtually nothing about Rey's parents except that her family left her on Jakku, that's the only context we have to use as a callback for Rey's parentage. Ep VIII would have to give us more exposition about Obi-Wan (who's obviously long dead by the time Rey could have been conceived) and his connection to Rey in the absence of that context.

That's not leveraging, that's a straight up retcon. We know it's a retcon. It has literally been explained as a retcon.

This reveal would require only a couple lines.

Your grandfather was my old teacher. He had a secret love affair that resulted in a child. You are that child's daughter.

Pretty basic stuff and a lot more detail than was given in Empire which equated to "yeah he lied. Believe me because feelings."

C0pegC6VQAAsBgk.jpg:large

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I don't think there was any way to make it interesting and not derivative. The idea of a planet killer has been done, literally twice, and anything remotely similar is laughably unimaginative. Not to mention the question of how remnants of the Empire were able to amass the resources to build something the Empire at it's peak couldn't approach. Chalk it up to tech growth in the 30 years, it's still terrible.

Star Wars is a huge rich universe, where they could have literally come up with anything and found a way to make it plausible.
It was very unimaginative but I feel like just having the variation of the base being this floating star vampire as opposed to yet another physics defying giant laser cannon would have gone a long way, for me at least.

I remember literally chuckling out loud (and pissing off some fellow movie goers) when they showed the Death Star and then the bigger, badder Star Killer base next to it, as if it was really suppose to mean anything to them. Reminded me of the iPad reveal actually.

Edit: Wasn't that figure reveal from last year and explained away as an assumption from the toy maker since the movie wasn't out yet?

sphagnum

Banned
But... Phasma and Bond Trooper have British accents though. And didn't all of the troopers in the prequels have Australian accents? It's more likely that they just wanted more contrast between Finn and Rey, it's strange that they wouldn't just say that though.

He talks about it here.

Boyega, who is a Londoner, originally played Finn with an English accent. “It doesn’t work. I sound sexy like this just because it’s me. As Finn, it doesn’t work in terms of the pace, the tone, the energy ... And I did it American, and I felt comfortable doing it that way. There was an energy that the accent gave him, especially the comedy. It made him more grounded as a character. ... It felt like a natural good choice.”

http://www.blastr.com/2015-12-21/force-awakens-john-boyega-creating-finn-whats-next-star-wars

I can't find the article that talks about him and JJ testing it out, but that's basically all there is to it. It felt right.

Phasma is a superior and Craig is a cameo,.so that's all there is to their accents.

JB1981

I don't know how one interprets Maz's line to her as anything other than:

"Your parents, the life you are clinging to is never happening, but happiness with a new family, a surrogate family, via your destiny with Luke is still possible if you have the courage to accept it."

Her real parents are gone or dead.

He talks about it here.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-12-21/force-awakens-john-boyega-creating-finn-whats-next-star-wars

I can't find the article that talks about him and JJ testing it out, but that's basically all there is to it. It felt right.

Phasma is a superior and Craig is a cameo,.so that's all there is to their accents.
I just watched the interview and that makes sense when you hear him delivering the lines, it really wouldn't have worked. I think having Rey and Finn sound so different helped establish the fact that they're from different reaches of the Galaxy too though.

And one more time, unless I'm losing my mind (which is possible) I'm sure that we talked about that figure on the Disney Store way back last year when the film still hadn't been released and I thought that it had been explained as an error based on the assumption she was a Skywalker from the film campaign.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Thematically, the best outcome would be that her parents are not revealed at all, because the important thing is she has found a new family. She had found her home all along.

lLUb55K.gif

frontieruk

Well it certainly won't be calling to Ben Skywalker.

Why would the lightsaber call to a Kenobi?

Watch Teaser trailer 2

Luke's voice :
The Force is strong in my family,
My father had it (shot of Vader's mangled helmet),
I have it (Luke places hand on R2D2),
My sister has it (Maz hands light saber to Rey).
Screen goes black (You have that power too).

Seems odd they would deliberately use those lines and imagery if Rey wasn't a Skywalker, at least to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom