• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

FluxWaveZ

What should be allowed for open spoilers in the spoiler thread? I'll go ahead and make it early on like the others, but I'm not sure if it should be just about DR:AE and DR1, or about the entire series concerning what DR:AE could mean for the future (with the impending DR3).

DR0 still hasn't been officially localized, but I feel like a lot in there could tie into DR:AE... it's frustrating.

Clov

Well, my order should be shipping soon now! I'll post here again once I play some more of the game... though to be on the safe side, I should wait till I beat it.

hamchan

What should be allowed for open spoilers in the spoiler thread? I'll go ahead and make it early on like the others, but I'm not sure if it should be just about DR:AE and DR1, or about the entire series concerning what DR:AE could mean for the future (with the impending DR3).

DR0 still hasn't been officially localized, but I feel like a lot in there could tie into DR:AE... it's frustrating.

I think that since this is primarily an English board, all games that are released in English are fair game, stuff that is still just Japanese should be spoiler tagged.

FluxWaveZ

I think that since this is primarily an English board, all games that are released in English are fair game, stuff that is still just Japanese should be spoiler tagged.

Yeah, that's fair and what I'll go with. Ugh, Danganronpa 0 is so good and so relevant to AE. We really need to get that officially one day.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is exactly my opinion & the main rule for the DR Community OT.

DR1 & DR2 are fine, but DR Zero = spoiler tags.

Firestar

Still waiting for my copy to ship from Amazon.ca. I have it as part of a big E3 order, though it hasn't even said that it's preparing to ship yet. Anyone else order from Amazon.ca? Are you in the same despairing situation as me?

Mine was part of a big E3 order from amazon.ca too and it arrived today. But I'm still on the student prime deal. I hear they've been slow on shipping non-prime orders lately.

And yea the visuals in this game look really good, it doesn't have a lot of the weird jaggy edges or white lines a lot of other 3d vita games have.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So when do we expect the digital version of the game to be up? Random time tomorrow? :T
Considering it's PSN, yes, sometime in the afternoon-ish tomorrow. I really wish Sony would have an actual set time for PSN updates, considering Nintendo is right around 9 a.m. PT/Noon ET.

Considering it's PSN, yes, sometime in the afternoon-ish tomorrow. I really wish Sony would have an actual set time for PSN updates, considering Nintendo is right around 9 a.m. PT/Noon ET.

Does Sony update PSN separately on the PS3/4 and the Vita? Given MGSV comes out and there is likely a slew of people waiting to download and play at Midnight, would the Vita's PSN not update?

Does Sony update PSN separately on the PS3/4 and the Vita? Given MGSV comes out and there is likely a slew of people waiting to download and play at Midnight, would the Vita's PSN not update?

Unfortunately midnight releases are on a game-by-game basis, it has no bearing on the store update as a whole.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Eeh, I guess it's worth asking, but does AE recycle any music like how DR2 had some DR1 tunes? Not that I mind, considering there's some great songs in the series?

Speakin' of which, I wonder how the CD will compare to the previous ones.

FluxWaveZ

Eeh, I guess it's worth asking, but does AE recycle any music like how DR2 had some DR1 tunes? Not that I mind, considering there's some great songs in the series?

Yes, unfortunately. There are a fair number of remixes, at least, but there's a lot of straight up reuse, and they need to stop that. Completely new soundtracks give games their own identities and, while DR1 had great music, it becomes less great as it's recycled for the subsequent games.

Yes, unfortunately. There are a fair number of remixes, at least, but there's a lot of straight up reuse, and they need to stop that. Completely new soundtracks give games their own identities and, while DR1 had great music, it becomes less great as it's recycled for the subsequent games.

I figured the same, but on the other hand I was a little put off that the regular tune didn't kick in during the title screen lol.

Also I started playing this right after work and why can't I stop? I was hooked right from the intro, I'm loving this.

FluxWaveZ

I figured the same, but on the other hand I was a little put off that the regular tune didn't kick in during the title screen lol.

Ha, I thought the same! If there's any song I'd accept to be reused or constantly remixed like that, it would be the main DR theme for the title screen. Ah well, that's this game's main theme so it works.

And yes, despite its gameplay drawbacks, DR:AE is as compelling as the previous games in the series.

CompC

My limited edition copy still hasn't shipped, even though they said it's probably be shipped on the 27th or 28th. I'm pretty disappointed, I was really hoping to play it tomorrow...

I was charged on the 25th. :/

Finally the time has come. I look forward to freely explore Tumblr and YouTube after finishing this game. And of course, the discussion here looks promising from the previews and what people that have already played the game have said.

Actually I'm expecting some info about DR3 to be released around TGS, so I'm waiting to see the plot developments in this game.

Alfredo

Just finished Chapter 1. I'm really enjoying the gameplay so far. The story is eh so far, but I'm sure that'll improve with time.

The game actually reminds me a LOT of Killer7, but maybe that's mostly because of the Masafumi Takada soundtrack/sound design, lol.

Scanna

Something terrible happened last night. I wanted to play a bit before bedding time, booted up the Vita then the game, loaded my save and... nothing. It just prompted me back to the New Game / Load Game screen, even if it specifically said "Loading completed".
I tried to restart the game, nothing. I'll try again tonight, but I am really afraid to have lost everything. I had saved at the beginning of the 5th chapter (not at a duck station but the save that the game asks you to make between chapters), I won't start it again if this is a bug of some kind...
BUMMER

Omikaru

UK here. Rice Digital shipped my copy on Friday, so I expect it'll arrive sometime today or tomorrow. Surprisingly early for a game releasing here on Friday, but maybe the bank holiday had something to do with that.

Really excited to get into this!

So, browsing Facebook last night, NIS America posted on their page that some items pertaining to the LEs arrived late in the day yesterday but they had started shipping them out. So I expect, depending on one's chosen shipping method, it's likely most should be receiving their orders between today and end of the week

BTA

So, browsing Facebook last night, NIS America posted on their page that some items pertaining to the LEs arrived late in the day yesterday but they had started shipping them out. So I expect, depending on one's chosen shipping method, it's likely most should be receiving their orders between today and end of the week

I guess I feel a little less bad about this mishap if it was probably at least partially due to this. That's really unfortunate, though.

h0tp0ck3t

Checks email.
Sees email from NIS
Get excited, open email
Only 75% stock left on Deadly Premonition Collectors Edition!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!

But so far, I'm pretty disappointed in it. The shooting segments aren't flat out bad, but they aren't really any good either. It gets a little more interesting with the puzzle room sections, but even then, they aren't that hard and you don't even really need to "beat" them. Toko exists as a limited use "win" button and you can use her a lot. It's like the developers realized that a lot of fans would be playing this game for the story instead of the shooting stuff, but if so, why did they bother to create a half-assed action game and just make it an adventure game like the others?

The game sorely lacks a central villain. Monokuma was always a threatening presence in the main games because he was cracking terrible jokes one second then murdering people the next. Ironically in this game he's EVERYWHERE since almost every enemy is based on him, but none of his personality is. Instead the roles are taken up by the five kids, who haven't proven themselves to be much more than weird and irritating (although I like their casting as RPG heroes).

There is some stuff that's really dark and the sort of thing I've not really seen dealt with in a video game and I'm still sorting how I feel about it. On a broad level though, Danganronpa isn't just "dark", it's "darkly comedic", it's a series where someone is murdered by getting dipped in tempura then fried in a volcano. Outside of a few goofy references for fans there hasn't really been much here that's funny.

The cutscenes are really inconsistent, some are handled with the in-game 3D engine with character portraits, some are pre-rendered CG in a similar style, some are cutscenes done in the style of the anime, and some are the animations using "flat" characters like the execution scenes in the other games.

The game has the "Kingdom Hearts problem" where it's really weirdly paced, you walk for a few seconds, get a cutscene, walk a few more, maybe shoot a few more guys, then get another one. It gets a little smoother in the later chapters, at least.

These are all criticisms I generally agree with, though I think they can be taken in a different light when you consider the game's nature as a spinoff title -- it's interesting to see Spike Chunsoft take things in a different direction, even if it means some things aren't done in a way that really clicked beforehand, like the shift away from a more comedic type of dark (that being said, I'm finding the Hit List Notes to fit in with the usual way of doing things).

I think the shooting segments are great given the game is very much trying to approximate a survival horror experience, but I agree with everything else you said about them. I have been avoiding Toko as much as possible simply because she turns the game into a shallow button masher, and her inclusion as a limited-use (but still widely available) win button definitely lowers the tension you feel in moments where you're low on ammo, or in danger.

It certainly adds to the feeling that things can feel disposable at times. As you mentioned, there's no real need to beat the puzzle rooms (but they are well crafted that you'd want to, I think), but I am pretty disappointed with the way the game seems to grade progress. Given the emphasis on ammo preservation and getting a "nice shot!", I would have loved to be graded on accuracy and nice shot percentages, but alas that isn't the case, collecting 5 floating stickers seems to be more important, and that as a task isn't really as incentive compatible for players who don't want to collect things for the sake of collecting things.

Guess I should be hoping for tomorrow then. Not the end of the world, but I had today off from work.

I'm committing to it now: I'm going to replay Danganronpa while working towards a platinum trophy, then pick up AE, and play DR2 after (maybe try to platinum that as well).

Top Bottom