• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Fhtagn

Drangelic castle is next for you then you'll get lots of souls there easily. And it's got lots of friendly ruin sentinels.

Demon great hammer or dragon tooth are pretty great if you've got them.

I specifically want to get away from the hammer class because I think I could just smash my way to victory with the Giant Club's two hand R2 attack, and I'd like to change it up a bit into a mid-sized sword direction, but they seem less viable than they did in Dark 1.

I am currently rocking the giant club for any heavily armored enemies and using the sun sword on less armored ones, but it feels like an affectation when I can just smash to win.

Minamu

You might wanna buy all upgrade stones you can and also look for armor and souls of optional bosses. I won't say where or what but look them up if you're not sure of what I'm talking about. I missed out on KV's soul with my first character. Basically buy or find everything that is a pain to get to from your first journey.
I have VK's soul and the armor :) I'm pretty sure i have most things then. currently coop farming the d
ragon
s
hrine

I remember reading they buffed some of the NPC summons in the last patch? I think I just saw first hand on NG++ vs Scorpionetta, I've never had Tark survive the whole fight before - not only did he survive he probably did about 50% of the damage!

Whilst on the subject, I always switch to a high magic defense shield for this fight - what do other people use for high magic def shields?

I picked up a Silverblack shield very early on in my first playthrough - maybe in Earthen Peak? And I've used that ever since, at +10 it has 85% on both physical and magic which is pretty good, also 77% on both fire and lightning, and 88% on dark. All in all a very good mix of elemental and physical, and I completely forgot to infuse it so I guess it gets even better depending on how you infuse.

LiK

I have VK's soul and the armor :) I'm pretty sure i have most things then. currently coop farming the d
ragon
s
hrine

I gave up cooping against AD. The main problem is the host keeps dying. Can't blame them, I died often when I tried summoning people to help.

I also recommend looking for any gear in any other late game areas. I've been watching LPs and I was shocked at all the chests I missed!

I remember reading they buffed some of the NPC summons in the last patch? I think I just saw first hand on NG++ vs Scorpionetta, I've never had Tark survive the whole fight before - not only did he survive he probably did about 50% of the damage!

Whilst on the subject, I always switch to a high magic defense shield for this fight - what do other people use for high magic def shields?

I picked up a Silverblack shield very early on in my first playthrough - maybe in Earthen Peak? And I've used that ever since, at +10 it has 85% on both physical and magic which is pretty good, also 77% on both fire and lightning, and 88% on dark. All in all a very good mix of elemental and physical, and I completely forgot to infuse it so I guess it gets even better depending on how you infuse.

Yea, I think 4 NPCs got beefed up specifically. Amen.

Mistel

Banned
On my Main I'm around level 100, SM: 1,09 million. You on Xbox? I don't wish to speak for her, but Miss Trooper is a friendly sort too. and a dab hand at the game :)

Really? I thought that'd be much later?
Nope unless you want to get all the other boss souls for it you can go right on through with 1 million soul history.

Your main is 16 levels behind mine with a nearly 2 million difference in memory but I've upgraded everything so.

I wouldn't mind more co-op at all really.

I specifically want to get away from the hammer class because I think I could just smash my way to victory with the Giant Club's two hand R2 attack, and I'd like to change it up a bit into a mid-sized sword direction, but they seem less viable than they did in Dark 1.
Claymore and mastadon greatsword are great and will work wonders with your character if you've gone full strength.

Minamu

I gave up cooping against AD. The main problem is the host keeps dying. Can't blame them, I died often when I tried summoning people to help.

I also recommend looking for any gear in any other late game areas. I've been watching LPs and I was shocked at all the chests I missed!
I just do it to gain humanity and get free souls from the mobs :) It's pretty much the only place I get coop easily at 5 million SM. The end game would be nice to farm but I can't find any players there. I will look for chests, that's smart! Hopefully the wikis are updated with that sort of thing ;)

Jaeger

I know it's probably been stated several times aleady, but a great way to get souls is to assist in Iron Keep runs. If you finish off Smelter, I managed to get over 100,000+ souls on a single run.

demidar

Yea, I think 4 NPCs got beefed up specifically. Amen.

Bellclaire should've been left alone, she got too much damage to be buffed.

Anyway I was doing some PvP on the Iron Keep Bridge, waiting on a guy to load in. So he gets in and moments later I get invaded (as in a guy used a Red Eye Orb). I was like "oh fuck" and turned around and rushed the invader. Got a couple of hits in, instilled some fear. I ran out of stamina so I backed up while the invader runs towards the keep to the safety of the enemies, and I look around for the black phantom I summoned so he doesn't backstab me. Lo and behold, the PvPer rushes past me and started attacking the invader as well, killing him. I was taken aback but that kind of honour. So we both double back to the bridge, let each other re-apply weapon effects and heal up, then engaged in glorious combat. When I killed him, I threw a "Thank You" wood carving to the ground. I'd like to think he took my sendoff sincerely.

Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Mistel

Banned
One thing to note is that by being naughty and letting the host die followed by you killing the boss you still get the souls. So you can power level off misfortune of others...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nope unless you want to get all the other boss souls for it you can go right on through with 1 million soul history.

I do want to get them. I've just no idea where to go next. I'm thinking I'm going to take another swipe at that Shaded Ruins chick. Tried once and got my buttocks handed to me.

Some dude invaded me so I just used a seed of giant. He got killed and then sent me a hate mail telling me to go fuck myself. He was using full havels, so fuck him.

batbeg

Bellclaire should've been left alone, she got too much damage to be buffed.

Anyway I was doing some PvP on the Iron Keep Bridge, waiting on a guy to load in. So he gets in and moments later I get invaded (as in a guy used a Red Eye Orb). I was like "oh fuck" and turned around and rushed the invader. Got a couple of hits in, instilled some fear. I ran out of stamina so I backed up while the invader runs towards the keep to the safety of the enemies, and I look around for the black phantom I summoned so he doesn't backstab me. Lo and behold, the PvPer rushes past me and started attacking the invader as well, killing him. I was taken aback but that kind of honour. So we both double back to the bridge, let each other re-apply weapon effects and heal up, then engaged in glorious combat. When I killed him, I threw a "Thank You" wood carving to the ground. I'd like to think he took my sendoff sincerely.

Almost brought a tear to my eye.

I did the same think once invading a guy who got invaded by a blue bro in Belfry Luna. I ran after the blue bro first and smited his ass, which apparently caught them both off guard. I just loved I was able to, essentially opening up 1v1v1.

Anyone know what exactly triggers NPC tombstones appearing? The bell keeper dwarf who jumped off a ledge to his doom last night in my game still has no tombstone.

demidar

I did the same think once invading a guy who got invaded by a blue bro in Belfry Luna. I ran after the blue bro first and smited his ass, which apparently caught them both off guard. I just loved I was able to, essentially opening up 1v1v1.

I wish I could do that but I'm in Champions. Once I get the 50 Awestones I need I'll do that, because I haaaaaate bellbros so much that I'm willing to invade another person's world just so I can kill their invading bellbros.

zma1013

I am currently rocking the giant club for any heavily armored enemies and using the sun sword on less armored ones, but it feels like an affectation when I can just smash to win.

Yeah but mid-sized swords use less stamina do they not? You can get in more attacks per stamina bar than you can with the giant club right? That's how they balance out, so even if it seems like you're doing less damage in a single attack, you have more of them. I'm just guessing here as I haven't used the giants club, but I figure it must use a lot of stamina.

LiK

Yeah but mid-sized swords use less stamina do they not? You can get in more attacks per stamina bar than you can with the giant club right? That's how they balance out, so even if it seems like you're doing less damage in a single attack, you have more of them. I'm just guessing here as I haven't used the giants club, but I figure it must use a lot of stamina.

It def uses a lot of Stamina but if you don't have much, use a upgraded mace instead with Stone ring to help. Staggering Havel is the key to winning, imo. Maybe apply Poison resin on it as well.

GulAtiCa

Holy crap! Lightning Homunculus Mace +10 enchanted with Sunlight Blade does a lot of damage in duels!

I took to duels again in Heide's Tower of Flame, and really started to do well. Won most of my matches. Even the ones I lost were well done matches.

A few assholes though.. One guy kept summoning me and others so he could be an asshole and attack before we got up. Even went as far as to summon phantoms to try to gank us. I took him out a few times. Got another guy, (same guy?), who summoned me to a 3vs1, how pathetic do you have to be to try to gank others?

For duels, I am now sticking to fighting with my mace. So I keep my spell slows low.
My spells:

Great Magic Shield (put on magic protection)
Sunlight Blade (Enchant my mace)
Soothing Sunlight (used to heal myself after a match)
Warmth (used to heal others after their match if they need to be healed)
Sunlight Spear (used against assholes if this is a ganking)
Wrath of the Gods (used against assholes in a ganking)

Last two came in handy yesterday. Someone summoned me to a 2vs1 ganking, luckily I was able to banish the ass with my WotG

Found the Grand Lance inside the giant memory last night. I think for NG+ maybe I'll try respeccing as a charging lance tank type character, and just try to overwhelm enemies stamnia with pure physical damage heh. I guess it's basicly the same principle as trying to smash someone with clubs

Mistel

Banned
I do want to get them. I've just no idea where to go next. I'm thinking I'm going to take another swipe at that Shaded Ruins chick. Tried once and got my buttocks handed to me.
Down to the black gulch for the rotten and sinners rise for the lost sinner. Scorpion lady is easy once you figure out where to stand.

Found the Grand Lance inside the giant memory last night. I think for NG+ maybe I'll try respeccing as a charging lance tank type character, and just try to overwhelm enemies stamnia with pure physical damage heh. I guess it's basicly the same principle as trying to smash someone with clubs

Keep in mind Lances are incredibly easy to parry. Nonetheless it is a very fun build :)

How important is stat-scaling?

Not sure whether to infuse the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword with Raw. It would put the scaling down to EE instead of BC, but I'd gain 40 points in Physical Damage, and 16 points in Fire Damage

Soulhouf

Some dude invaded me so I just used a seed of giant. He got killed and then sent me a hate mail telling me to go fuck myself. He was using full havels, so fuck him.

I get very often invaded in D.Castle near that room with the sentinels and usually the invader tries to lure me into the melee with the sentinels and stone knights but I never fall for it.
Last night the dude who invaded me got impatient from waiting and ended up coming for dual. I beat him pretty easily so he got pissed off and sent me a hate mail.

Next time I will probably use that seed of giants I got as a gift but I have no idea how to get more.

Not sure whether to infuse the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword with Raw. It would put the scaling down to EE instead of BC, but I'd gain 40 points in Physical Damage, and 16 points in Fire Damage

Scaling is generally weaker than in the other souls games. Still I'd only recommend raw infusion for weapons that don't scale at all or very little. Pretty sure you'd be better off with a fire infusion + flame weapon or just the normal +10.

Then again, you can just test it, infusions aren't too hard to redo. :p

Mistel

Banned

Raw is totally not worth it at all what you gain is worse than scaling. An avlyn sure but not an ultra greatsword.
No idea where those places are! XD I shall search more thoroughly.

Thanks!
Well have a look one is down in the depths the other is next to lost Bastille.

I can't seem to find any information on what the stats requirement is for dual wield power stance. Halp!
1.5x the required stats on the weapons so 10 needs 15 for example.

zma1013

I get very often invaded in D.Castle near that room with the sentinels and usually the invader tries to lure me into the melee with the sentinels and stone knights but I never fall for it.
Last night the dude who invaded me got impatient from waiting and ended up coming for dual. I beat him pretty easily so he got pissed off and sent me a hate mail.

Next time I will probably use that seed of giants I got as a gift but I have no idea how to get more.

Every few time you get invaded, go check the dead giant tree corpse in Forest of the Fallen Giants where all the big metal turtle guys are. It will have a seed in one of it's hands. I'm pretty sure it grows after a couple of invades, even NPC invades. I'm not sure what the fire name actually is, I think it's the next to last one in the warp list.

Please tell me there is a quicker way to Darklurker other than giving another effigy and replaying the last level. That really sucks!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers. And what about weapon combinations? Anything goes as long as I meet the req?

No, they have to do the same kind of damage i.e. Thrust, Slash etc. EDIT: ...and be in the same weight class: i.e Super heavy (Ultra Greatswords, some Greataxes), Medium (Axes, Hammers, Spears, Halberds, Reapers, Lances, Twinblades) etc.

If you have a Thrust/Slash weapon and a Slash only weapon, that can work.

LiK

Please tell me there is a quicker way to Darklurker other than giving another effigy and replaying the last level. That really sucks!

You should go to the portal in Shaded Ruins. Least amount of enemies and shortest path. No other way to fight him.

Mr Git

Finally got the Shadow leggings, completing the set. On my 247th try. Not wearing them. Might leave it a while before farming for the Berserker set..

ElFly

Feel the last level is the shortest and easiest.

The others contain some ranged enemies that are assholes and take longer to take out, or a group of fuckers that you have to separate to fight evenly.

Also the last level has a bonfire next to Grandahl. The other requires either a long walk, or a dangerous walk and drop.

Mogwai

No, they have to do the same kind of damage i.e. Thrust, Slash etc. EDIT: ...and be in the same weight class: i.e Super heavy (Ultra Greatswords, some Greataxes), Medium (Axes, Hammers, Spears, Halberds, Reapers, Lances, Twinblades) etc.

If you have a Thrust/Slash weapon and a Slash only weapon, that can work.

Only weapons of the same class can be power stanced iirc. 2x daggers, 2x maces, etc.
Cheers. Off to farm some souls so my rogue can wear the falchion/scimitar combo.

Leezard

Only weapons of the same class can be power stanced iirc. 2x daggers, 2x maces, etc.

The important part is that they have the same sort of damage, I think. Strike can be power stanced with Strike, Slash with Slash, Thrust with Thrust.

The weapons that have Slash/Thrust can be powerstanced with weapons that can only slash as well I think.

GulAtiCa

Every few time you get invaded, go check the dead giant tree corpse in Forest of the Fallen Giants where all the big metal turtle guys are. It will have a seed in one of it's hands. I'm pretty sure it grows after a couple of invades, even NPC invades. I'm not sure what the fire name actually is, I think it's the next to last one in the warp list.

Yep. One of the wikis says that there is a 10% it will spawn after each invasion, and that the rate will increase by 10% each time until it does finally spawn.

Top Bottom