• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

LiK

I stuck with the lighting-infused Short Bow I found at Iron Keep. Works fine after being fully upgraded and shoots quickly enough. Never got into using the other bows.

ElFly

I rock a lightening infused Defender's Great sword on my faith build character and a dark infused Crypt Blacksword on my hexer and both are fantastic.

Daaang.

I knew of the defender's greatness.

Is this dual wielding or something?

So, as someone who doesn't want to deal with the constant invasions/summons with the Bell Keepers Covenant...is my only option to get to rank 2 with them to play offline and farm that rarely-appearing Mad Warrior? I ran that route about 30 minutes last night and he only appeared twice. Ugh.

LiK

So, as someone who doesn't want to deal with the constant invasions/summons with the Bell Keepers Covenant...is my only option to get to rank 2 with them to play offline and farm that rarely-appearing Mad Warrior? I ran that route about 30 minutes last night and he only appeared twice. Ugh.

That's what I did. It was pretty painless. Just listen to something else while you do it. He spawns randomly but he's not as rare as people say. Overblown, imo

Fhtagn

Yeah but mid-sized swords use less stamina do they not? You can get in more attacks per stamina bar than you can with the giant club right? That's how they balance out, so even if it seems like you're doing less damage in a single attack, you have more of them. I'm just guessing here as I haven't used the giants club, but I figure it must use a lot of stamina.

It uses a lot of stamina but two hand R2 does a smashing attack for 800+ damage and then if that didn't knock the enemy flat to the ground you can follow up with a second R2 that does a two hit spin attack for another 1000-1200. This combo generally consumes my entire stamina bar but it also kills almost everything that isn't a boss. It even has some hyperarmor frames where I do not take damage if I'm hit during them. My damage output per second with swords doesn't seem to balance out. I'll keep experimenting....

ElFly

It uses a lot of stamina but two hand R2 does a smashing attack for 800+ damage and then if that didn't knock the enemy flat to the ground you can follow up with a second R2 that does a two hit spin attack for another 1000-1200. This combo generally consumes my entire stamina bar but it also kills almost everything that isn't a boss. It even has some hyperarmor frames where I do not take damage if I'm hit during them. My damage output per second with swords doesn't seem to balance out. I'll keep experimenting....

Clubs are pretty great.

I think the only situation in which they aren't faster to kill than a sword, is if you crush an enemy without killing it, and it is one of the fuckers that cannot be recrushed when it is standing up. Most humanoids can eat a second hit while standing up, but there are a few that can stand up and avoid your second hit.

Sullichin

The 2H R2 combo of the large/great club is amazing. This is what I used on bosses all day on my first character. I've yet to surpass that type of damage output with melee since. Although it's really hard to land the large club in PVP.

LiK

I've never seen this bell tower invader, is he instead of the red phantom dwarf guy?

Yea, he's the Predator guy. There are no invasion alerts. He's just standing there outside the lever room. His spawns are completely random so you need to go back and forth resting at bonfire to make him spawn.

zma1013

I've never seen this bell tower invader, is he instead of the red phantom dwarf guy?

He doesn't actually invade at all. He's either there or he's not. Run straight, turn left and look towards the tower with the ladder in it, he will be standing in the corner. He's got a skull face with dreadlocks.

That's what I did. It was pretty painless. Just listen to something else while you do it. He spawns randomly but he's not as rare as people say. Overblown, imo

Blah, that's what I thought the answer would be. Thanks for the confirmation. I get a limited amount of time to play each night, so the idea of using that time to try and bait a random respawn makes me sad.

Yea, he's the Predator guy. There are no invasion alerts. He's just standing there outside the lever room. His spawns are completely random.
Lever room? So he appears in the Iron Keep one? I need to get on this guy I know he has a unique armour set.

So many situational armour sets :| - In one sense it's cool to have rare stuff, in another I want it all, and I want it all now!

This is my setup at the minute, armour is tailored so I can stay below 70% and upgrade with normal titanite.

Played for 77 hours, Soul Level 155, only way for me to go is further into the
Undead Crypt.
Also still have to beat
Darklurker

Right-hand:
Black Knight Ultra Greatsword +5
Sorcerer's Staff +10
Pyromancy Glove +10

Left-hand:
Tower Shield
Dragonrider Bow +4

Rings:
Ring of Binding
Covetous Silver Serpent Ring
Southern Ritual Band +1
Ring of Life Protection/Ring of Blades +1

Spells:
Heavy Soul Arrow
Great Heavy Soul Arrow
Great Fireball

Imported Hood
Creighton's Chainmail
Lion Mage Cuffs
Alonne Knight Leggings +10

jbcX0cSgKDGWRh.png

jbjUuvjabPzzHB.png

LiK

Blah, that's what I thought the answer would be. Thanks for the confirmation. I get a limited amount of time to play each night, so the idea of using that time to try and bait a random respawn makes me sad.

Not so bad, I got Rank 2 in less than 4 hours. If you do it 30 minutes a day, you might be lucky and see him in successive spawns. Happened to me a few times.

Lever room? So he appears in the Iron Keep one? I need to get on this guy I know he has a unique armour set.

So many situational armour sets :| - In one sense it's cool to have rare stuff, in another I want it all, and I want it all now!

Outside the bell lever room in Belfry Sol.

zma1013

I would hate to have been the one to model the awesome Mad Warrior armor set, and then know it was so difficult and rare to get that not many people would be able to see it.

The 2H R2 combo of the large/great club is amazing. This is what I used on bosses all day on my first character. I've yet to surpass that type of damage output with melee since. Although it's really hard to land the large club in PVP.

This is my go-to attack now for PvE. With the item degradation reduction, I literally just run around two-hand smashing everything into the ground. So satisfying.

LiK

I would hate to have been the one to model the awesome Mad Warrior armor set, and then know it was so difficult and rare to get that not many people would be able to see it.

I think the full sets from those enemies that spawn in with Flexile Sentry in NG+ is way harder to get. I saw a video of it and some dude used Ascetic 7 times just to get the full set. Pretty crazy.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think the full sets from those enemies that spawn in with Flexile Sentry in NG+ is way harder to get. I saw a video of it and some dude used Ascetic 7 times just to get the full set. Pretty crazy.

I had my fill with farming the Mad Warrior set. No way I'm bothering with the Shadow Set.

LiK

I had my fill with farming the Mad Warrior set. No way I'm bothering with the Shadow Set.

I have no interest in rare armor stuff. I just happened to get the Mad Warrior stuff from trying to get Hidden Weapon. I have to give props to people who go through the headache of obtaining every piece of gear out there.

E92 M3

It's a great feeling when that happens. I did it in Belfry Sol, had 2 greys and 1 red invade me at the same time and killed them all.

Yesterday at the bell tower I literally had grey>blue>grey>blue invade me. It was fun killing all of them :)

Respect

Really? I don't think you would need an aescetic? I was able to farm them on NG+ and got the whole set. The enemies on the way to the boss were long extinct, but the NPCs that spawn with him kept coming. Took about 5-6 hours of farming...even died once when they had dropped an item I wasn't able to get to it.

LiK

Really? I don't think you would need an aescetic? I was able to farm them on NG+ and got the whole set. The enemies on the way to the boss were long extinct, but the NPCs that spawn with him kept coming. Took about 5-6 hours of farming...even died once when they had dropped an item I wasn't able to get to it.
Huh, interesting. Maybe the guy didn't know they respawned. Now that makes it funnier. He mentioned the helm wouldn't drop at all until he used Ascetics for more drops. I think he mentioned he fought them 100 times.

Fhtagn

I have not done much PvP yet but I was in the bell tower, just about to ring the bell when I got invaded. I cleared out the little guys and waited. And waited. Finally, a second invader shows up and they both come up the ladder and I managed to take them both out by using leap attacks and the horizontal swings. My heart was pounding a little and I got off the couch and did the decapitate emote in real life along with my character, hahahaha.

Luckily my fiancee thinks that kind of behavior is cute.

(I usually bow, but waiting to 2v1 gank gets a decap if I win.)

Respect

Huh, interesting. Maybe the guy didn't know they respawned. Now that makes it funnier. He mentioned the helm wouldn't drop at all until he used Ascetics for more drops. I think he mentioned he fought them 100 times.

Sounds about right, might have taken me a little bit less, maybe 85ish.

chris121580

I'm trying to earn some souls by being summoned to help others with boss battles. I've been leaving my sign but not getting pulled into other games. Any tips on things I can do to make my sign more visible? I sat at one very popular boss for at least 20 min and never got summoned.

LiK

I'm trying to earn some souls by being summoned to help others with boss battles. I've been leaving my sign but not getting pulled into other games. Any tips on things I can do to make my sign more visible? I sat at one very popular boss for at least 20 min and never got summoned.

If you don't get summoned within 1-2 minutes, log out and log back in and try again. It should work better. Put it in the middle of the path as well for more exposure.

GulAtiCa

What boss? Are you in NG? What is your Soul Memory?

chris121580

If you don't get summoned within 1-2 minutes, log out and log back in and try again. It should work better. Put it in the middle of the path as well for more exposure.

What boss? Are you in NG? What is your Soul Memory?

Thanks for both of these tips. I was at the Smelter Demon. I'm not NG+ yet but I have defeated all the bosses. I just planned to help out others before going to my NG+. I'm not sure what my soul memory is off hand unfortunately

Thanks for both of these tips. I was at the Smelter Demon. I'm not NG+ yet but I have defeated all the bosses. I just planned to help out others before going to my NG+. I'm not sure what my soul memory is off hand unfortunately

I ended up grinding out bosses with people on the easy ones - like the Old Dragon Slayer. The soul reward is less, but for me I could get through probably 3 times as many fights compared to one harder one. Think the record for ODS so far is about 30 seconds with two other folks. :)

GulAtiCa

You've already beat the main end-game boss? Yeah, you are probably to high for that area. I'd recommend going into NG+.

Well SD is more of a mid-game locale; try the back third (the various spots in the castle for instance) for better luck.

LiK

I ended up grinding out bosses with people on the easy ones - like the Old Dragon Slayer. The soul reward is less, but for me I could get through probably 3 times as many fights compared to one harder one. Think the record for ODS so far is about 30 seconds with two other folks. :)

I recommend Vestaldt with a Silver Serp ring. It's easy and fun. Souls come in pretty fast. It's still my fave hot spot.

Top Bottom