• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

koryuken

Anyone know what determines a weapon's DEFENSIVE capabilities when two-handing and using it to block?

Its pretty bad. You will drain most of your stamina and block 30-40% of the damage. It is better than taking 100% of the damage... but learn to roll if you are using 2h :)

Time to move onto NG+. NG+ is where the game starts ;)

I concur. You can actually invade and be invaded in NG+. (NG+ was also much easier for me because I already had most spells and equipment).

Mistel

Banned
Do I really need every bonfire - ie the second one in black gulch?
Need these ones:

Forest of Fallen Giants Cardinal Tower
Sinner's Rise The Saltfort
Iron Keep Eygil's Idol
Black Gulch Hidden Chamber
Brightstone Cove Tseldora Lower Brightstone Cove
Undead Crypt Undead Ditch
Dragon Shrine Shrine Entrance
Drangleic Castle King's Gate

Then talk to Cale after beating said area boss.

zma1013

Need these ones:

Forest of Fallen Giants Cardinal Tower
Sinner's Rise The Saltfort
Iron Keep Eygil's Idol
Black Gulch Hidden Chamber
Brightstone Cove Tseldora Lower Brightstone Cove
Undead Crypt Undead Ditch
Dragon Shrine Shrine Entrance
Drangleic Castle King's Gate

Then talk to Cale after beating said area boss.

Really? Some of those are just regular bonfires then?

Soulhouf

Question about the covenant of the dark.
I would be glad if someone can answer me without spoilers.
Do I need to offer a human effigy every time I fail?
I completed the 3 dungeons and reached the boss but I often die on the way to him because I loose my patience (The dungeon in Drangleic Castle).
That boss is fantastic by the way. It's a shame most of players won't probably fight him given how hidden he is.

zma1013

Question about the covenant of the dark.
I would be glad if someone can answer me without spoilers.
Do I need to offer a human effigy every time I fail?
I completed the 3 dungeons and reached the boss but I often die on the way to him because I loose my patience (The dungeon in Drangleic Castle).
That boss is fantastic by the way. It's a shame most of players won't probably fight him given how hidden he is.

The answer is yes.

Soulhouf

The answer is yes.

Oh shit. I'm running low on human effigy.
Something just occurred to me.
If I enter another dungeon again, will I be able to fight the boss?
Normally I wouldn't ask and try myself but since my human effigy stock is low, I have to optimize my attempts. The one under Drangleik Castle is the hardest one I think.

Soulhouf

You can just equip the Ring of Life Protection or Ring of Soul Protection if you don't want to lose your humanity. If it breaks you can have it fixed.

Entering the dungeons costs 1 Human Effigy and since I keep failing to beat it, I need to pay again and again.

Sullichin

You can just equip the Ring of Life Protection or Ring of Soul Protection if you don't want to lose your humanity. If it breaks you can have it fixed.
You still need to use an effigy to open it up though

Oh shit. I'm running low on human effigy.
Something just occurred to me.
If I enter another dungeon again, will I be able to fight the boss?
Normally I wouldn't ask and try myself but since my human effigy stock is low, I have to optimize my attempts. The one under Drangleik Castle is the hardest one I think.
Yes, you can
fight the boss at the end of any of the dungeons
If you haven't, go back to Things Betwixt and talk to the witches for a fast 6 effigies.

Mistel

Banned
Give me corrections, Give me grammar.
I'm not very good myself buy here is some:
Dark Souls 2 Tips
  • A melee weapon that's not obviously terrible is more likely to get you through the whole game.
  • If you can get the enemies one by one the better. Try using projectiles.
  • Crossbows are good candidates to make into raw weapons.
  • Low scaling weapons are prime candidates for infusing with elements.
  • Petrified dragon bones are rare materials. Wait till you find a weapon that's worth their usage.
  • Dual wielded weapons can sometimes swing faster than they would by themselves when used with a faster weapon like a greatsword couples with a claymore.
  • Poison arrows are the best choice for ranged combat with melee characters.

My suggestions are below. If you want, I can take a stab at editing the entire list. Just PM it to me.

A melee weapon that's not obviously terrible is more likely to get you through the whole game
A weapon, that even at face value may seem less than ideal, can often times serve you well the entire game

If you can get the enemies one by one the better. Try using projectiles.
Baiting enemies away from groups is often smarter than taking on a whole group at once. Try baiting use projectile weapons, like bows or crossbows

Crossbows are good candidates to make into raw weapons.
Since crossbows don't scale based on stats, they make great candidates infusing with Raw

Low scaling weapons are prime candidates for infusing with elements.
Infusing elements into a weapon reduces their scaling. So, low scaling weapons can be very good candidates for infusing with a various element

Petrified dragon bones are rare materials. Wait till you find a weapon that's worth their usage.
Petrified dragon bones, along with other later game upgrade materials are usually very rare. Be sure to pick and choose your upgrades carefully

Dual wielded weapons can sometimes swing faster than they would by themselves when used with a faster weapon like a greatsword couples with a claymore.
Dual-wielded weapons can sometimes be used to attack faster compared to if you wielded just one at a time.

Poison arrows are the best choice for ranged combat with melee characters.
Poison arrows are great for melee characters, as they let you deal more damage over time from a distance

Mistel

Banned
katanas are just better.
tumblr_mwhhq6zTIq1si52nwo1_500.jpg

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

My suggestions are below. If you want, I can take a stab at editing the entire list. Just PM it to me.

A melee weapon that's not obviously terrible is more likely to get you through the whole game
A weapon, that even at face value may seem less than ideal, can often times serve you well the entire game

If you can get the enemies one by one the better. Try using projectiles.
Baiting enemies away from groups is often smarter than taking on a whole group at once. Try baiting use projectile weapons, like bows or crossbows

Crossbows are good candidates to make into raw weapons.
Since crossbows don't scale based on stats, they make great candidates infusing with Raw

Low scaling weapons are prime candidates for infusing with elements.
Infusing elements into a weapon reduces their scaling. So, low scaling weapons can be very good candidates for infusing with a various element

Petrified dragon bones are rare materials. Wait till you find a weapon that's worth their usage.
Petrified dragon bones, along with other later game upgrade materials are usually very rare. Be sure to pick and choose your upgrades carefully

Dual wielded weapons can sometimes swing faster than they would by themselves when used with a faster weapon like a greatsword couples with a claymore.
Dual-wielded weapons can sometimes be used to attack faster compared to if you wielded just one at a time.

Poison arrows are the best choice for ranged combat with melee characters.
Poison arrows are great for melee characters, as they let you deal more damage over time from a distance

Fixed :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Soulhouf

You still need to use an effigy to open it up though

Yes, you can
fight the boss at the end of any of the dungeons
If you haven't, go back to Things Betwixt and talk to the witches for a fast 6 effigies.

Thanks! That gives me 6 more chances.
If only I knew Human Effigies were this important, I wouldn't waste them when not necessary.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm probably way late to the party, but yesterday, after doing the M
emory
of O
rro
, instead of using the feather to warp back to the bonfire I walked the way back, and then suddenly noticed that the whole area (with that platform with the nest leading to the Bastille, the collapsed giant statue head, Pursuer boss fight area, etc.) was exactly the same place as the M
emory
of J
eigh
. Sorta blew my mind, but I felt stupid for not noticing before. ^^

elhav

Don't understand why so many people had problems with the Smelter demon...
I mean, he is fairly slow and has a predictable set of moves. Took me like 3 deaths to beat him. Though I guess if you try to tank him it's not gonna work really.

Trying to find a proper Katana for my pure DEX build but haven't found one yet.
Heard there is a nice katana dropped by the dudes at the Iron Keep, but no luck yet.

Mentok

Banned
Blowing through NG+ right now (had way more trouble with bosses in NG oddly). I've had to play in offline mode because I keep getting kicked off PSN!

I've beaten:
The Last Giant
Flexile Sentry
Ruin Sentinels
Belfry Gargoyles
Sinner
Skeleton Kings

Question for casters, what gear are you rocking? The only thing I'm for sure keeping on is the Hexer's Hood (love the extra spells),but I'm not too sure about the rest (don't need the lion mage gear as I have the +2 clear bluestone ring now). I love Agdayne's robes, but they upgrade with twink...along with almost everything else!

EDIT:
Don't understand why so many people had problems with the Smelter demon...
I mean, he is fairly slow and has a predictable set of moves. Took me like 3 deaths to beat him. Though I guess if you try to tank him it's not gonna work really.

Trying to find a proper Katana for my pure DEX build but haven't found one yet.
Heard there is a nice katana dropped by the dudes at the Iron Keep, but no luck yet.
Blacksteel Katana...it is awesome.

ys45

1. You can leave and join covenants as you please but you can only be in 1 at a time.
2. Depends, are you invading or being invaded? Are you talking about the PVP arena?

I wouldn't even touch the blue sentinel covenant until you get to NG+ as there are more invasions and maybe, just maybe someone else will be in the Way of the Blue covenant that you can save, but still, it's hard to actually get summoned in that group.

Well I don't feel like invading people I was more looking to do duel .
Maybe Belfry area would be good for that ?

Top Bottom