• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Finally beat the optional boss!

fuck yeah

Edit: Looks like I have all of the "on-the-ground" items except for the
Mirrah Hat?
I don't care about the farm drops but would like to pick that up. Where is it at?

Behind one of the ruins in the Frigid Outskirts. Can't remember which, though. Either the first or second.

Levyne

Banned
I guess if I say first or second and HK-47 says second or third, than the best chance is to check behind the second. Haha.

Not behind the first or second that I can see and now I don't get npc help since the boss is dead to make it to the third
qq

Is there a reasonable way to get to Sir Alonne or is the corpse run really that terrible?

It's just a bad run. You can try and speedrun past the Alonne Knights, but I always seemed to end up dead when I tried that. You could despawn one or both of the rooms if you're really having trouble, although that could take 30 minutes or so.

Sothpaw

It's just a bad run. You can try and speedrun past the Alonne Knights, but I always seemed to end up dead when I tried that. You could despawn one or both of the rooms if you're really having trouble, although that could take 30 minutes or so.

Yikes. Worst run I have ever seen in a Souls game; really unnecessary. Oh well I guess I will despawn them.

OK maybe Ancient Dragon was worse but it's been a while.

So did the
tendrils of ice remind anybody else of Bed of Chaos' branches? I'm assuming that was intentional, given the whole DLC was about containing the Chaos below.

Glad we didn't have to fight Bed of Chaos 2.0.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So did the
tendrils of ice remind anybody else of Bed of Chaos' branches? I'm assuming that was intentional, given the whole DLC was about containing the Chaos below.

I immediately thought that as soon as the castle door opened.

Levyne

Banned
So did the

Yep, that was the first thing I thought of. I was so expecting the same thing, lol.

And got my stupid item, woo
(first ruins btw, I had just missed it)
. Will probably be a while before I play DS2 again. Third most hours on my Steam account. Will probably write up some overall dlc impressions when I get the chance.

My impressions of the DLC so far:

Reached the first boss. Level design is great, much better than Sunken King, which was fantastic. I would've progressed more but when I wrote down my sign to play some coop against the first boss, I was summoned by a player and I replayed the first area from the very beginning... it was great: felt invincible while playing with him, too bad that my summon time ended while we were playing against the boss, pretty sure he defeated it. Don't think I'd see him again, which somehow makes me sad :(

It was an awesome experience. I'll continue tomorrow.

By the way, is this the first level in the souls series where the weather plays an important role in an specific area? Don't remember something like that in DS one and I haven't finished Demon's Souls yet so I cannot say. I hope that they implement the ideas we've seen in the lost crowns in terms of level design for the next Souls games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
My impressions of the DLC so far:

Reached the first boss. Level design is great, much better than Sunken King, which was fantastic. I would've progressed more but when I wrote down my sign to play some coop against the first boss, I was summoned by a player and I replayed the first area from the very beginning... it was great: felt invincible while playing with him, too bad that my summon time ended while we were playing against the boss, pretty sure he defeated it. Don't think I'd see him again, which somehow makes me sad :(

It was an awesome experience. I'll continue tomorrow.

By the way, is this the first level in the souls series where the weather plays an important role in an specific area? Don't remember something like that in DS one and I haven't finished Demon's Souls yet so I cannot say. I hope that they implement the ideas we've seen in the lost crowns in terms of level design for the next Souls games.

There should definitely be a low visibility fog area in Bloodbourne. The setting demands it.

mhm delicious haveltears

heh I guess, but it's with all heavy armour, not just Havels :p.

Spoilars
It's kinda disappointing if all you get for beating all 3 dlc's is infinite Ring of Life Restoration. I was hoping for some alternate ending, or new area or something!

As if they needed to make it even more broken, right? It's already cheap as hell to repair, did they really need to make an unbreakable version of it? I do like the Ring of The Living though :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else having a real hard time summoning right now?

Is anyone else having a real hard time summoning right now?

I'm having a difficult time being summoned, and the connection is always terrible too.

BTW, has anyone defeated any of the bosses on NG+ solo? I couldn't beat the pet, or the Ivory King solo. I guess I'll also have to summon for the duo pets :/. What do you get for killing em? Any neat item at all, or is there another white knight hidden there or whut?

Pooya

Snow makes everything look better. DLC3 area has a whole different feel and atmosphere than anything before, like it so far.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Weather, No.
Similar setting, Yes. Citing Tomb of the Giants here, for low visibility.

burgerdog

One shotted the twins, what was messing me up earlier not banishing the npc summons. I used them as bait to get to the boss and then they'd run in and die in 1 minute. Leaving me with coop hp bosses, yeaaaaa. Banishing them and going in solo was a world of difference.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm having a difficult time being summoned, and the connection is always terrible too.

BTW, has anyone defeated any of the bosses on NG+ solo? I couldn't beat the pet, or the Ivory King solo. I guess I'll also have to summon for the duo pets :/. What do you get for killing em? Any neat item at all, or is there another white knight hidden there or whut?

Their souls make stuff

Yes. Citing Tomb of the Giants here, for low visibility.

Oh no. I don't like the sound of that. Just went to the Shrine of Winter to check out out the new area, did three steps and
plummeted to me death
. Oh well, DLC isn't up yet on EU PS3 anyway :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fuck the gauntlet before the
Ivory King
. Who thought this would be fun? And yes I have
four knights to help me
but they're useless, the enemies all seem to aggro me and they spawn way too fast. To add insult to injury, at some point one of them
spawned DURING the boss fight! I thought the boss spawned after killing them all, but nope. Don't know how it works, but it's complete bullshit. And of course they added another humanoid that swings his sword super fast.
Bleh, and I was loving this DLC up until then. The first boss was pretty cool, and different than the standard armoured humanoids at least. And the exploration was really fun. But those bosses just frustrate the shit out of me.

I'm guessing that pre-boss gauntlet doesn't despawn, right? ;_;

Edit: welp. Used a brightbug and slaughtered the boss. Heh.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Do you get anything for having all three crowns?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fuck the gauntlet before the
Ivory King
. Who thought this would be fun? And yes I have
four knights to help me
but they're useless, the enemies all seem to aggro me and they spawn way too fast. To add insult to injury, at some point one of them
spawned DURING the boss fight! I thought the boss spawned after killing them all, but nope. Don't know how it works, but it's complete bullshit. And of course they added another humanoid that swings his sword super fast.
Bleh, and I was loving this DLC up until then. The first boss was pretty cool, and different than the standard armoured humanoids at least. And the exploration was really fun. But those bosses just frustrate the shit out of me.

I'm guessing that pre-boss gauntlet doesn't despawn, right? ;_;

Edit: welp. Used a brightbug and slaughtered the boss. Heh.

Git gud =P The knights have to close the gates before other knights stop spawning in. One gate is always left open until after the boss spawns. One or two guys should spawn out of it and then one of the remaining knights will close it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Git gud =P The knights have to close the gates before other knights stop spawning in. One gate is always left open until after the boss spawns. One or two guys should spawn out of it and then one of the remaining knights will close it.
That didn't happen to me, except that one time. Only once did someone else spawn after the boss did. Anyway, you even quoted the part where I said I killed the boss so no need to tell me to gid gud :p

Aaaanyway, so I found every bonfire and killed 2 bosses but it seems to end there. I must have missed something. Gonna check that tomorrow. Can someone just confirm yes/no that I missed an area or something?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That didn't happen to me, except that one time. Only once did someone else spawn after the boss did. Anyway, you even quoted the part where I said I killed the boss so no need to tell me to gid gud :p

Aaaanyway, so I found every bonfire and killed 2 bosses but it seems to end there. I must have missed something. Gonna check that tomorrow. Can someone just confirm yes/no that I missed an area or something?

You are missing the funnest part of the whole Souls series.

Ruuppa

You are missing the funnest part of the whole Souls series.

I concur. No journey to Ivory King is complete until you have visited Santa's workshop and met his reindeer.
Do you get anything for having all three crowns?

Once you've talked to Vendrick with all the crowns, they protect you from Hollowing and Curse. If you die while wearing one, you won't go Hollow, but wearing one while Hollow won't make you Human.

Haunted

No new ending, but now if you wear any of the crowns you are impervious to hollowing.

Some people on /r/darksouls2 made an interesting comment. It's basically you finally finding the solution that everybody came to Drangleic in the first place for (a way to stop the hollowing process.
Yay!

Exactly four people could be saved. >_> But it's really just you because you have all four crowns.

JustinBB7

I beat the first 2 bosses on NG++

Came really close to beating the last boss once. (all solo, I never summon)

Gestahl

Wow that outskirts area, and at the end a shitty reskin of the
boss I just fucking fought IN the DLC??? But oh there's two so it's fine. Dark Souls 2 in a nutshell

That was easily the worst piece of Souls content I have ever had the displeasure of playing. Shame because aside from the dumb final boss gimmick the rest of the 3rd DLC wasn't half bad but this definitely sours my opinion of the whole

NEO0MJ

I beat them solo. I always make sure to defeat bosses on my first time solo, or where's the fun?

Pooya

First boss: I can't tell when I'm supposed to heal, looks erratic.

The area itself was very easy until this point, though the
(un)holy knight invader
lol that was great.

BeeDog

Checked the new patch notes and noticed this:

A new exchange weapon is added to the shop line up after defeating the Smelter Demon (Blue) at the Brume Tower

Does anyone know what this means? I double-checked some of the shops in the game but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Or does it have anything to do with the boss soul?

Ruuppa

Checked the new patch notes and noticed this:

A new exchange weapon is added to the shop line up after defeating the Smelter Demon (Blue) at the Brume Tower

Does anyone know what this means? I double-checked some of the shops in the game but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Or does it have anything to do with the boss soul?

Ornifex can now make the Aged Smelter Sword from the Smelter Demon soul. It deals Magic damage and can be powerstanced with the normal Smelter Sword for a special attack.

UrbanRats

These DLC have been mostly great, especially the second one (the third one was the prettiest but least interesting one, from a gameplay standpoint, aside from a couple of great ideas).
The biggest disappointment have been the bosses, either too familiar, or even straight up reskins, with a couple of exceptions.

HOWEVER, i just feel like i'm burned out on the game, yesterday i went through the *you know what* to do the optional boss of the third DLC, and kind of rolled my eyes at the fact that it follows their lame philosophy of "
the same you did before, but two of them!
".
The boss itself is pretty easy all in all, yet when i died, i had absolutely zero willpower to do that road up the boss all over, and i just ALT+F4.

Bottom line is, after 344 hours, i'm burned out on the game, i have no more stamina to play it, and i'm afraid if i keep playing out of sheer completionism, i'm gonna get to Bloodborne with very little will to play that one.

Anybody else felling similarly? Not faulting the game (after 344 of mostly fun, how could i?) just the fact that.. i feel i've had too much Souls for the year, lol, and i don't want to risk ruining Bloodborne for me.

This year i've played nothing but this game, weirdly enough (aside from the couple of hours First Light took me to beat).

Pooya

beat the first boss. Proceeding... HOLY SHIT.

Visually at least, this is the best part of anything Dark Souls yet. amazing.

It's too late/early here. I'm done for now. BUT HOLY SHIT. at least I understood what I should be doing.

The area is largely empty castle corridors but damn, it's a maze.

BeeDog

Quick question since I just started DLC#3:

I just came upon some non-hostile enemy/NPC(?) in a white hooded robe, sitting next to an enemy. Should I just kill it or leave it alone?

Don't wanna lock myself out of potential items/rewards.

Ruuppa

I just came upon some non-hostile enemy/NPC(?) in a white hooded robe, sitting next to an enemy. Should I just kill it or leave it alone?

Murder them for their gear. There are no consequences.

Neolith

Oh boy, I hate those things. Show them no mercy. So for everyone who's finished all three, what are your opinions?

Top Bottom