• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Since i had no response yesterday, i'm asking again : i got the three crowns, why i didn't get the cutscene? Bug or what?

Make sure you have Vendrick's crown and visit his memory, it'll be the last time your character will have any interaction with Vendrick in that NG(?) playthrough

Mistel

Banned
So anyone on PC NG+ have a Mirrah greatsword for trade? I have plenty of weapons.
You could just kill lucatiel or farm for the identical old mirrah greatsword.
Storm you liking any of the new weapons?
From what I've seen as I've been doing my homework there's a lot of DEX orientated weapons and weapons on the twinkling upgrade path. The Nil curved greatsword is pretty decent with the S scaling for infusions, NG+ AR bonus, STR orientation, and some of the murokumo moveset from DS.

Other than that I've not really sat and had a proper look yet.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I keep invading the outskirts. Needless to say, its horrible. I feel like I need to disable gedosato so I can see.

Mistel

Banned
I think she's gone. I have beat every boss except nashandra and I can't find lucatiel anywhere.

I've wasted 10 ascetics on her bro already and he hasn't dropped the damn thing.
Have you talked to her everywhere she is? As she might be at one of those if you missed it. Other than that the mirrah greatsword is outperformed by other DEX orientated greatswords like the Drangleic sword. Probably some of the new ones too but I've not got the numbers for those.

Finally finished all of the third DLC, except for
grinding out 50 Loyce Souls...
Not sure I'll be doing that.

Edit: Back to PVP and I find that they've needlessly nerfed the UGS golf swing... What the fuck? I can't chip people over the edge of the Iron Keep bridge anymore, they just slide along the floor! Of all the things to nerf THAT'S WHAT THEY CHOSE? I am in shock here.

After this DLC I can finally play as a Catarina knight :D
D12609D5B33D425E230E47C6B75C696A334AA721

I think this B team forgot the armor was made of metal or something so they made it from white chocolate.

I think its rusted.
Catarina fell many ages ago, look at the description:

Odd armor shaped like an onion.

This armor appears rather absurd,
but its multi-faced construction is in fact
quite practical as it effectively deflects
physical attacks.

The old tales speak of brave Catarina
knights wearing this armor as they
rushed courageously into battle.

Zocano

Yah I just took it as the metal lost its luster.

Plus Dark Souls 2 doesn't have the weird bloom/shine/(thing?) over everything that Dark Souls 1 did.

SoldnerKei

got the crown yesterday, I liked very much how the boss can be a bitch if you don't know anything about the
imprisoned Knights
also looking for them was kind of fun, but gosh that one on that high up temple, I was having a hard time getting to him, fuck those bloody icy sonics, other than that I liked it more than previous DLCs, also the city looks awesome from afar, sad that you don't get to explore the whole thing P:

I'll go to the co-op area today, but I think I won't enjoy it much, also I haven't seen something worth in there except for a ring

Ruuppa

got the crown yesterday, I liked very much how the boss can be a bitch if you don't know anything about the
imprisoned Knights
also looking for them was kind of fun, but gosh that one on that high up temple, I was having a hard time getting to him, fuck those bloody icy sonics, other than that I liked it more than previous DLCs, also the city looks awesome from afar, sad that you don't get to explore the whole thing P:

I'll go to the co-op area today, but I think I won't enjoy it much, also I haven't seen something worth in there except for a ring

You can
make a useful shield and sword from the boss souls there.

These DLC have been mostly great, especially the second one (the third one was the prettiest but least interesting one, from a gameplay standpoint, aside from a couple of great ideas).
The biggest disappointment have been the bosses, either too familiar, or even straight up reskins, with a couple of exceptions.

HOWEVER, i just feel like i'm burned out on the game, yesterday i went through the *you know what* to do the optional boss of the third DLC, and kind of rolled my eyes at the fact that it follows their lame philosophy of "
the same you did before, but two of them!
".
The boss itself is pretty easy all in all, yet when i died, i had absolutely zero willpower to do that road up the boss all over, and i just ALT+F4.

Bottom line is, after 344 hours, i'm burned out on the game, i have no more stamina to play it, and i'm afraid if i keep playing out of sheer completionism, i'm gonna get to Bloodborne with very little will to play that one.

Anybody else felling similarly? Not faulting the game (after 344 of mostly fun, how could i?) just the fact that.. i feel i've had too much Souls for the year, lol, and i don't want to risk ruining Bloodborne for me.

This year i've played nothing but this game, weirdly enough (aside from the couple of hours First Light took me to beat).

Be careful! It seems that you're about to go hollow! D:

Mistel

Banned
Edit: Back to PVP and I find that they've needlessly nerfed the UGS golf swing... What the fuck? I can't chip people over the edge of the Iron Keep bridge anymore, they just slide along the floor! Of all the things to nerf THAT'S WHAT THEY CHOSE? I am in shock here.
That's not in any of the patch or calibration notes at all.
I think its rusted.
It's pretty clear it's rusty:
Not as clear as something like this though:

JustinBB7

Finally done with outskirts boss on NG++ solo. I had no more fucking
horses
or red phantoms between me and the fog at one point, after that it was just dealing with the second fucker at the same time that was annoying, but it's finally over.

Really dragged the entire dlc down for me that area/boss. Shame because the rest of the dlc was great.

BeeDog

Nope, the game has finally beaten me. Can't for the life of me beat the first boss in the new DLC.

Should probably pack my bags

Freed 2 of the Knights so far, I'll be damned if I have a clue where the last one is. I swear I have looked everywhere.

This DLC has been great so far. Great level design with a new spin on familiar mechanics. Have yet to try the Outskirts and I am concerned about it given so many complaints.

HOWEVER, i just feel like i'm burned out on the game, yesterday i went through the *you know what* to do the optional boss of the third DLC, and kind of rolled my eyes at the fact that it follows their lame philosophy of "
the same you did before, but two of them!
".
The boss itself is pretty easy all in all, yet when i died, i had absolutely zero willpower to do that road up the boss all over, and i just ALT+F4.

Bottom line is, after 344 hours, i'm burned out on the game, i have no more stamina to play it, and i'm afraid if i keep playing out of sheer completionism, i'm gonna get to Bloodborne with very little will to play that one.

Anybody else felling similarly? Not faulting the game (after 344 of mostly fun, how could i?) just the fact that.. i feel i've had too much Souls for the year, lol, and i don't want to risk ruining Bloodborne for me.
I'm burnt out on this game, but oddly not the other two. I'm going to start the third DLC tonight, but if I'm not feeling it then I'm probably done with it, at least until I forget chunks about the game and come back to it in the future somewhat a fresh. I gave up half way through the second DLC because of burn out, but I still want to go play DS1 and DeS.

I think with all the DLC now out for DS2 the view of quantity over quality is even more glarring and it was pretty obvious before the DLC dropped. They spread the game too thin.

Ruuppa

I'm burnt out on this game, but oddly not the other two. I'm going to start the third DLC tonight, but if I'm not feeling it then I'm probably done with it, at least until I forget chunks about the game and come back to it in the future somewhat a fresh. I gave up half way through the second DLC because of burn out, but I still want to go play DS1 and DeS.

I think with all the DLC now out for DS2 the view of quantity over quality is even more glarring and it was pretty obvious before the DLC dropped. They spread the game too thin.

I would love to play DeS instead of rerolling new characters all the time in the two other games.. But my PS3 broke a long time ago, so that's not looking good. Hope they make a HD remake or even a simple port of it at some point.

Never give up, trust your instincts!

Which ones did you free if you can remember?

The first I freed was
after the first bonfire area. There was a new area opened up over by the Ballistas, I went down and after a while came across one.

The 2nd was
after the 2nd bonfire area where there are a bunch of the Golem's or Giants that come alive when absorbing a soul. The area ends at the Cathedral

NEO0MJ

I think the one you're missing is near the fourth bonfire. If you remember the area with the fountain between the first and second bonfire it eventually led to a bridge you couldn't cross. Near that bridge is a small building with an elevator. The door used to be frozen but is now open. If you follow this route you'll eventually reach a building with the last knight.

I think the one you're missing is near the fourth bonfire. If you remember the area with the fountain between the first and second bonfire it eventually led to a bridge you couldn't cross. Near that bridge is a small building with an elevator. The door used to be frozen but is now open. If you follow this route you'll eventually reach a building with the last knight.

Hmmm, seems vaguely familiar. I will go explore that area agin. Thanks.

Zocano

I get the "burnt out" feeling from Souls games pretty easily.

Only new content is stuff I'm interested in as far as these games. Once you "know" the routes, how to manipulate enemies, best ways through situations, subsequent playthroughs just end up really boring.

I only ever really do 2 *maybe* 3 playthroughs max. Demon's I've done 4 but I attribute that to it being out for 5 years.

People that constantly do new playthroughs with "Different" weapons makes no sense to me. Most of the weapon playstyles are just so similar that it doesn't feel different at all. Big and hard hitting or fast and weaker is really the only distinctive types of differences. Really distinctive I mean. The flow of combat is way different when you can only get one hit in versus two or three.

But past that multiple playthroughs just don't mean much to me. It just feels too much of the same without any sense of exploration or tenseness. Once you know an area all the tenseness is sucked out since you know where to beeline, where you to pick your fights, etc.

Also NG++++++++++++++++++ craze is kind of dumb to me. It ties into the previous point where going through the same content with the same "build" just ends up being even more boring to me. edit: Regarding this, Dark Souls 2 is taking NG+ in the right direction and I would like NG+'s to be like character action game difficulties where they switch up enemy types or give you even harder enemies/bosses.

That said, I'd really only ever go back to replay Demon's, although I'd like to go through Dark 2's DLCs again after a long break since they are easily the best part of the Dark Souls series.

Mistel

Banned
farming those Knight's souls seems a little too much, is the weapon of that souls useful at all?
At based compared to the charred loyce greatsword its got higher base damage 176 vs 138/60 split than the charred one but lower scaling with E/C compared to D/B/D.

ElTopo

Banned
Once I've beaten everything and got most of the good stuff I finally uninstalled the game from Steam. NG++ was enough for me. And I don't feel like starting all over again with a new character.

JayEH

So I'm in new Game Plus right now doing the Third DLC. I beat the first two DLCs in NG and was wondering when I beat DLC 3 if I can still get the bonus for beating all 3 or do I have to beat the other two in NG+ first.

UrbanRats

Be careful! It seems that you're about to go hollow! D:
Meanwhile, i beat the optional boss.

Now only
the King
remains, from this third DLC.

Still have to do
Smelter
and
Alonne
from the second one though.

I think, bosses aside, these 3 DLC were by far the best stuff DkS2 had to offer.
If only the rest of the game felt as thematically cohesive and creative!

I think, bosses aside, these 3 DLC were by far the best stuff DkS2 had to offer.
If only the rest of the game felt as thematically cohesive and creative!

Agreed, From redeemed DS2 from a lot of the criticism and shortcomings of the Vanilla game. The level design and environmental puzzle/mechanics in all 3 DLC's is superb.

I just finished the final boss of the third DLC.
Amazing atmosphere, this was a really cool and unique moment. It is the closest thing Souls has to a raiding party. Would have been cooler if it was a little longer, but regardless, a lot of fun.

I concur. No journey to Ivory King is complete until you have visited Santa's workshop and met his reindeer.

Once you've talked to Vendrick with all the crowns, they protect you from Hollowing and Curse. If you die while wearing one, you won't go Hollow, but wearing one while Hollow won't make you Human.

Those goddamn reindeer, that's the first thing that I thought of when they hit me. They headbutted me then flew the fuck away and I was like did I just get pummeled by Santa's fucking Reindeer? Da fuq?!
I beat the first 2 bosses on NG++

Came really close to beating the last boss once. (all solo, I never summon)

Thanks for making me feel inadequate, it wasn't enough for you to solo, you had to do it in NG++ ;~;.
The first boss I couldn't find very many openings to heal, so I got a summon to basically distract him.

I beat them solo. I always make sure to defeat bosses on my first time solo, or where's the fun?

Yeah I generally try to do that, maybe not the first time for some bosses, but all bosses(with the exception of Fume, The Pet and Ivory King) I've soloed. The first DLC I soloed all the bosses on my first time on NG+, and the second DLC I was able to solo Blue Smelter. I'ma keep trying to solo Alonne, not sure if I wanna solo the duo pets though...

Oh boy, I hate those things. Show them no mercy. So for everyone who's finished all three, what are your opinions?

I find the first and third to have really amazing map designs. The first had nice puzzle mechanics that added to some fun, the third had a lot of neat shortcuts you could unlock and a nice blizzard to keep you on your toes. The second had mediocre map design, annoying enemy placement, enemies that were sponges and tanks at the same time, however, the boss fights were done magnificently. As for items, Simpletons Ring, Yorgh's Ring, The Ring of The Embedded, The Ring of the Living, and Smelter Hammer are my favourites.

Finally finished all of the third DLC, except for
grinding out 50 Loyce Souls...
Not sure I'll be doing that.

If you co-op they have a chance to drop them for you too. Plus you get a buttload of souls even if you don't get to kill the boss, which is nice. People ca also drop them for you, so if they have gotten 50(I don't think there's any other use for them other than opening the staircases) they can give you em.

Finally done with outskirts boss on NG++ solo. I had no more fucking
horses
or red phantoms between me and the fog at one point, after that it was just dealing with the second fucker at the same time that was annoying, but it's finally over.

Really dragged the entire dlc down for me that area/boss. Shame because the rest of the dlc was great.

O god there's red phantoms in NG++? That's a bitch thing to do in that area. I had to get summons to help in the area, those reindeer are so damn annoying.

Nope, the game has finally beaten me. Can't for the life of me beat the first boss in the new DLC.

Should probably pack my bags

He's really difficult.
I hope you made him visible. I think everyone has walked in the first time and had him invisible and died horribly. At first I was like hmmmm I doubt Dark Souls wants me to fight him right now, I probably need to get something, then I decided to go naww walked in ran for a bit *boss is invisible* O FUCK ME!

neat... then I gotta suffer a bit :'D

farming those Knight's souls seems a little too much, is the weapon of that souls useful at all?

They drop them if you get summoned to other peoples worlds too, so that can make getting them easier. The weapon no idea, I want it for the sake of having it :p.

So I'm in new Game Plus right now doing the Third DLC. I beat the first two DLCs in NG and was wondering when I beat DLC 3 if I can still get the bonus for beating all 3 or do I have to beat the other two in NG+ first.

I would assume you wouldn't need to beat the other two again. Unless you lose the Crowns as you go into a NG, as long as you have all 3 it should still work.

Although, as good as the bulk of the DLC's were, all the optional side area's were bullshit. They were not fun or interesting, just a slog. I hope they don't do that crap again, but if they do, keep in optional.

Ruuppa

I really liked the Ivory Crown co-op area ):

There's only ever one reindeer and they're pretty manageable.

There are more. They have a chance to spawn when you're out in the blizzard, out of the ruins. Most I've had was three on my tail.

Zocano

There are more. They have a chance to spawn when you're out in the blizzard, out of the ruins. Most I've had was three on my tail.

I know how it works, I just don't think the area is as awful as people say it is. Especially when you actually do summon people. I can imagine it being really frustrating solo.

Ruuppa

I know how it works, I just don't think the area is as awful as people say it is. Especially when you actually do summon people. I can imagine it being really frustrating solo.

Oh it's pretty simple when you know how it works. On your first times through, it can get incredibly frustrating and hard.

Levyne

Banned
What's this about (item)
loyce souls
and staircases? I don't think I got a single one...not interested if it's just to trade for an item or such.

NEO0MJ

What's this about (item)
loyce souls
and staircases? I don't think I got a single one...not interested if it's just to trade for an item or such.

They're an items you get from enemies near the final boss of the DLC. If you collect enough of them you'll get armors and weapons.

Top Bottom