• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

*adjusts glasses*

I thought it was more commonly referred to in modern parlance as 'Iaijutsu'?

Ijustlookedituponwikipediaafteryoupostedididn'tknowithadanamethankyou:)

You're right, Battojutsu is just the older term for the same technique. I learn most of my Japanese terms from anime so that figures, ha ha.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What is happening in this gif? It looks like a swing and a miss from both parties and then lots of blood? (I know nothing about this stuff.)

Toshiro Mifune (the guy on the left) never misses. :)

I'm no expert but it looks like Mifune draws across the other guy's belly to the top of his arm, whilst stepping to the side and avoiding his overhead draw. It's much, much faster on screen and there is about a minute before hand of them just staring at each other. It's magic.

Here's a different angle:

sanjuro2.jpg

You're right, Battojutsu is just the older term for the same technique. I learn most of my Japanese terms from anime so that figures, ha ha.

Never even heard of it till you posted, I was being a fake smartass ;P

Cheers to you, sir!

NEO0MJ

Magic and grinding basically ruined my experience with Smough and Ornstein :(
Definitely wouldn't repeat the same mistakes!

I feel like a boss for beating them on my first playthrough and with no magic or assists, just my trusty spear and a lot of Estus Flasks.

Darkone

I'm heartbroken. I absolutely loved Dark Souls on the 360, but now i have a PC and i don't want to wait :( I have faith that even if the port is terrible the dedicated fans will release another fix similar to DSfix. The question is just whether or not I'll wait.

Anything to convince me to wait for the PC version?

Only thing i can think of is better graphics.

njean777

Cannot wait for this game. Next week I got Spring Break, DS2, and Titanfall. Hopefully nothing bad happens and I can relax for the week and play both as much as I want to.

MilkBeard

I feel like a boss for beating them on my first playthrough and with no magic or assists, just my trusty spear and a lot of Estus Flasks.

Yeah they can be beaten without magic, it just takes some time to learn their attack and movement patterns. But if you have been playing without magic up to that point then you'd probably be used to it by then.

Darkone

HELP me Gaf, i don`t know what build to take, is Melee a safe bet?
How is Dex build style of play?
What are the hybrid build recommendations?

Con_Smith

Banned
Might be getting the game early due to it being my birthday week and my boss being the best ever. Still can't decide what class to roll since I'm not clear which is closer to pyro and what build I'll play. I like dex builds but some weopon images leaked and Im tempted to run a
predator
build.

Edit just in case. Didn't spoil anything really though.

Might be getting the game early due to it being my birthday week and my boss being the best ever. Still can't decide what class to roll since I'm not clear which is closer to pyro and what build I'll play. I like dex builds but some weopon images leaked and Im tempted to run a
predator
build.

Might wanna spoiler that one part, not that it spoils much.

You work at a gamestore or something?

And yes everyone beware. Images of boss pictures/achievement pictures/etc are all leaking from gamestop's getting copies and breaking street dates etc. don't touch other forums/4chan/reddit if you can help it.

dan2026

I hope to God this wont run like a one-legged dog on consoles this time.

Learn to optimise From Software. Please, please.

elhav

HELP me Gaf, i don`t know what build to take, is Melee a safe bet?
How is Dex build style of play?
What are the hybrid build recommendations?
Melee is a safe bet. Dex build is usually good for bows and crossbows, and of course for weapons with DEX stat bonuses. I think it depends on the type of weapon you prefer to use, but we'll see for ourselves when the game comes out.

I am personally planning to do a melee/ranged combo for my first runthrough. I like bows, but I don't think they will be that useful in PVP. Since it's a first playthrough I figured it would be best to get used to the bosses etc and then create a more focused build on my second playthrough. Really want to see how are the Katanas in the game, as I like these best. Hnnnggggh come out already

tmaynard

Toshiro Mifune (the guy on the left) never misses. :)

I'm no expert but it looks like Mifune draws across the other guy's belly to the top of his arm, whilst stepping to the side and avoiding his overhead draw. It's much, much faster on screen and there is about a minute before hand of them just staring at each other. It's magic.

Here's a different angle:

sanjuro2.jpg

Oh! I can see it now. I really need to watch all of those samurai flicks.

Spacebar

I just got an email from amazon and I'm getting it (ps3) march 13th. Does amazon not do release date delivery on pre orders anymore? I'm a prime member as well.

Con_Smith

Banned
Might wanna spoiler that one part, not that it spoils much.

You work at a gamestore or something?

And yes everyone beware. Images of boss pictures/achievement pictures/etc are all leaking from gamestop's getting copies and breaking street dates etc. don't touch other forums/4chan/reddit if you can help it.

Yeah I work for a certain gamestore and apparently managers are getting early copies. Leaks this week people so be careful. Also watch where you go on the net as sersteven said. I don't freak out over spoilers but if you do delicate information is leaking out.

AngryMoth

Most hyped I have been for a game in a long time! Hope it lives up to the first one, I'm a little put off by some of the changes they've announced but I have faith in from soft. First time I'll be getting a souls game at launch, looking forward to playing while everything is still being figured out. Wish I didn't have to wait until the Friday though.

OrigiNull

I just got an email from amazon and I'm getting it (ps3) march 13th. Does amazon not do release date delivery on pre orders anymore? I'm a prime member as well.

I just got this last night. I just assumed it was going to be release date....

"We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"Dark Souls II (Collector's Edition) - Xbox 360 Collector'S Edition Edition"
Estimated arrival date: March 11, 2014"

Shengar

Well I actually ruined my first run too with Demon's Souls :(
I'm definitely don't want to repeated it again. I will make every triumph moment felt like when I defeat Capra Demon after 3 hours of retries.

Sullichin

Going deprived my first playthrough. I'll probably use a shield and whatever weapon, but I think it's cool that he starts with nothing this time.

Swordy

*adjusts glasses*

Swordy
(Today, 02:19 PM)

I don't get it. :p Edit: Ohhh are you refering to the nickname? It does make sense, eh? ;)

@Shengar

In Dark Souls I actually learned my lesson already, did a melee only first playthrough and it was a blast despite the game being difficult here and there. It was a much better experience than cheesing a lot of bosses like in DeS.

So glad this comes out during spring break for me so I can just spend that entire week with it until I have to go to a convention on friday.. and I'll still probably hook my 360 up to the hotel TV and play every night. I'm so excited to experience a Souls game on release!

What was the PC situation like in terms of hacking/grieving?

Sens Fortress = Full of hackers

rest not so much.

Other than that, there have been trainers since day one to respec builds and give you souls as well as all the items you would need to upgrade weapons.

I do have to wonder if they are going to use Steamworks and VAC this time around.

Ephemeris

To my coworker who is shadowing this thread hoping to score DS2 early.. I'm sorry man.

Oh.. and stop reading GAF. :/

Sickbean

rest not so much.

Other than that, there have been trainers since day one to respec builds and give you souls as well as all the items you would need to upgrade weapons.

I do have to wonder if they are going to use Steamworks and VAC this time around.

I'd put up with hackers if it's the downside to not having GFWL any more. Steamworks/VAC would be the icing on the cake.

Violater

rest not so much.

It's the main reason I have been apprehensive about putting down a firm preorder tbh, that and I am holding out hope for a next gen release this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom