• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to fight this little guy:

dark-souls-2-beard.jpg

JawzPause

Man up dude. I've got my Masters Engineering Project Dissertation due in on 7th April. Still getting DS2 day one.
Haha I wish I could be this hardcore but I have CW to be handed in next week, followed by an exam and then another exam on april 4th, then my final 5 exams from the beginning of May :(
Damn pharmacy degree and its dark souls level of difficulty :(
I'll just have to avoid anything Dark Souls 2 until June.

Soulhouf

I'm in complete media blackout since the announcement. Aside from the beta, I don't know anything about the game.
I'm also going completely blind, Japanese version, so you won't see me posting here a lot in the beginning. My challenge is to beat the game (or at least go as far as I can) in 7 days because I'm going on a trip after that.
I'm fully prepared.

Edit: no wanderer as a starting class? That has always been my class in both Demon's & Dark Souls :(

ironcreed

Banned
I'm leaning Bandit as a starting class in order to get a jump on dex, but dual wielding straight away with the Swordsman is also pretty appealing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, it's THIS close?

Well damn, I guess I'm not participating in this thread ala DkS (1).

The Hermit

I don't know, I always enjoyed playing mage/pyromacer on the first... maybe I´ll try something different like Knight or Swordsman.

Camwi

Heh, I know the feeling. Same thing happened to me a few years ago before my son was born. It was a blessing in disguise for me. Not only was I about to be a new dad, but I also reigned in my spending habits on video games and I'm better off for it. Now I'm much more critical about my purchases and feel like I get more out of each game. Enjoy parenthood!

I believe it's for the best and it's not that bad. I've been budgeting lately and I'm having great fun cleaning my Backlog. :)

This is good advice, I'll be sure to use it when the time comes for me, thanks!

Thanks guys. I definitely have work to do with the budgeting, plus planning on starting a Roth IRA this year, so it's all for the best.

And on topic, I think I'm going Deprived again. The crappy shield they gave you to start with in Dark Souls really added to the challenge in the beginning.

This will be my most visited thread until the 11th, where I'll mysteriously disappear for a month.

Edit: no wanderer as a starting class? That has always been my class in both Demon's & Dark Souls :(
Take away one of the swordsman's swords and, boom, wanderer. Not sure how the starting stats compare, though.

Jobbs

Banned
I was clicking around and stumbled on this youtube video from machinima about what they want to see in Dark Souls 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwu4zjVfJQ

Stuff like this scares me. What they want are easier modes, in game maps, codex, easier coop multiplayer, easier story, just...

People like this have all kinds of games to suit their tastes already, why would they want to turn our one game into everything else? :)

Brick

Holy crap, I had no idea it was releasing this soon. I should probably get my pre-order in so I can get those extra armor bonuses, yeah?
I know, I'm part of the problem.

Tex117

Banned
This will be my most visited thread until the 11th, where I'll mysteriously disappear for a month.

Take away one of the swordsman's swords and, boom, wanderer. Not sure how the starting stats compare, though.

Tell me this is right...TELL ME THIS IS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

I hate they don't have my wanderer class.

Hupsel

First time reading about the classes, just saw one trailer for the game, wanna go as spoiler free as possible lol. Anyway I dont like to use magic as much in the Souls universe so I guess I should select bandit as my class? Love dem str, hp and dex.

I was all bitter about the delayed PC release, but seeing this OT has made me excited to play now. So many of the classes seem interesting and the possibilities with dual-wielding and improved ranged weapons seem nearly endless.

I'm eagerly awaiting the PC release - I hope it's a good port!

I have both the guide and the PS3 Black Armor edition pre-ordered. Not going to rely on the guide on my first playthrough, but had to get it to support ENB. He's a good guy.
Hopefully the guide won't be patched out of relevance in a few weeks this time.

Jobbs

Banned
I should be working, and instead find myself sitting around wondering what starting class I'm going with. As a Souls vet I understand it's not a big deal in the long run, but it is a big deal in the sense that it'll be my first experience with the game. Gonna just think out loud for a second.

I may go cleric just to be in keeping with old times.

Otherwise, I'm probably going to go with a quality build, str and dex type character.

Here are all the non-caster starting classes and their faith+int totals:

warrior: 10
knight: 9
swordsman: 12
bandit: 10
explorer: 10
deprived: 12

From an anal-retentive-about-stats standpoint, It seems to me that swordsman is a poor choice (unless I plan to use INT for something) and deprived is just a poor choice in general (6+6).

Knight seems to be a strong choice for min max, especially if you want to build into a faith build later. Knight is a very strong choice and a very safe choice for anything other than an INT casting build.

While I'd love to check out the dual wielding right away, those int points will bug me since I don't plan to raise int.

May go with bandit. That spikey helmet is cool, and I'd get the chance to check out how bows are now.

RK9039

Vaati put out another video.

His 5 favorite things in Dark Souls 2. Features some new gameplay footage.

Wow, that was nice. The warping system doesn't seem bad at all from the way he put it.

I should be working, and instead find myself sitting around wondering what starting class I'm going with. As a Souls vet I understand it's not a big deal in the long run, but it is a big deal in the sense that it'll be my first experience with the game. Gonna just think out loud for a second.

I may go cleric just to be in keeping with old times.

Otherwise, I'm probably going to go with a quality build, str and dex type character.

Here are all the non-caster starting classes and their faith+int totals:

warrior: 10
knight: 9
swordsman: 12
bandit: 10
explorer: 10
deprived: 12

From an anal-retentive-about-stats standpoint, It seems to me that swordsman is a poor choice (unless I plan to use INT for something) and deprived is just a poor choice in general (6+6).

Knight seems to be a strong choice for min max, especially if you want to build into a faith build later. Knight is a very strong choice and a very safe choice for anything other than an INT casting build.

While I'd love to check out the dual wielding right away, those int points will bug me since I don't plan to raise int.

May go with bandit. That spikey helmet is cool, and I'd get the chance to check out how bows are now.

Yeah I'm going with the Knight. I will be making a Strength+Faith build.

since it looked like you can walk while shooting the bow now from some of the earlier videos I saw I'm excited to go bandit and mainly use my bow. Anyone else?

You can add Famitsu's review :p

http://gematsu.com/2014/03/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1318

Dark Souls II (PS3) – 9/10/9/9 [37/40]

oh wow, even a little better than Haze (34). awesome.

seriously though, i can't believe i've stayed on a succesful media black-out for DkS2. i can't believe i actually did it! for Dark Souls i spoiled almost half the bosses and lots of areas... i was an idiot. i wasn't surprised by many things in the game. but now, EVERYTHING will be a surprise!

i cannot wait. just gotta clear a little bit of my backlog before this sucker hits, because i know i will not play anything else for months..

Deitus

I was clicking around and stumbled on this youtube video from machinima about what they want to see in Dark Souls 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwu4zjVfJQ

Stuff like this scares me. What they want are easier modes, in game maps, codex, easier coop multiplayer, easier story, just...

People like this have all kinds of games to suit their tastes already, why would they want to turn our one game into everything else? :)

What a terrible video. I really hope From are not trying to appeal to that demographic. Not to be elitist about it, but the game they are asking for is completely incompatible with the Souls experience. I'd rather not lose everything that makes this series unique to appeal to the mass market.

But I'm hopeful that would never happen to Souls (even if it has happened to many other series).

Are they seriously starting off the Deprived with nothing this time?

Well they call them Deprived for a reason.

Shinjica

Wow, that was nice. The warping system doesn't seem bad at all from the way he put it.

Yeah I'm going with the Knight. I will be making a Strength+Faith build.

Strange because in his previous video he was not quite happy about the warping

JosiahB

It's going to be strange not buying video games anymore in an effort to save up money, but on the flip side, this will give me a chance to dig into my stupidly large backlog.

Ha, I'll be doing the same thing. I've bought games that I haven't even touched. Though DSII will be taking up what little free time I have for quite a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom