• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's like one of my japanese animes!

post-11756-I-Understood-That-Reference-gi-Rfzg.gif

Tenrius

I think I'll be getting the Black Armour edition for the PS3. Can't really trust my laptop to play it well, although I'll be definitely picking up the Steam version later on.

I'd put up with hackers if it's the downside to not having GFWL any more. Steamworks/VAC would be the icing on the cake.

I thought it was actually super easy to hack GFWL games, so the situation is at least not getting any worse. Had maybe one hacker encounter in the PC version myself, and I played for over 100 hours.

I preordered at GameStop. I just hope they have my Black Armored copy when I pick it up next week. Is there a midnight release for this?

Sickbean

FWIW, I played over 150 hours of the PC version and had no more interaction with hackers than any other online games.

Still gonna play on PS3 first though, purely for the bigger community.

Ten more days till EU release, very excited! I'm probably going to use dexterity weapons + medium/heavy armor + miracles, and now I'm trying to figure out what the best starting class would be for that build.

JawzPause

I really wish I could get this day 1 but I have a shit ton of Uni work to do.
Ah if only I could be in high school again...

Manus

For people who were getting a Thursday release date deliver from Amazon. I just spoke with an online agent and he upgraded mine to a day of release shipping for free. Anyone else who was getting that just chat with an agent and they should give you day 1 shipping for free.

zerosyohon

Neo Member
Holding out for the PC version... But getting my roommate a 360 collectors edition next week as a late bday/xmas gift.

luckily we can pick it up at midnight cause it drops the same day as Titanfall.(so unless titanfall doesn't have a midnight...)

deadeye

I preordered at GameStop. I just hope they have my Black Armored copy when I pick it up next week. Is there a midnight release for this?

I preordered mines from GameStop as well. They're not having a midnight release for Dark Souls 2 but they are for TitanFall. It comes out the same day, so I'll be there just to pick up my copy. Each GameStop is different so you may just want to call and make sure.

happypup

HELP me Gaf, i don`t know what build to take, is Melee a safe bet?
How is Dex build style of play?
What are the hybrid build recommendations?

I don't think any of this really needs a spoiler, it is just stat dissection but I will put one up anyways because some people want to know nothing.

Strength looks like it has some nice advantages, especially increasing the guard break of enemies (causing stagger?). Also It looks like strength will be necessary for a tank as armor is strength dependent now too (?).

Dexterity seems pretty neat too, as any weapon can be given a bleed or poison stat now(?), which scales with dex. So if you like damage over time, or the bleed burst damage from the first game dex will make you better at that.

Ultimately though you find a weapon you like, and decide what build you need from there.

A strength dexterity build with a split str dex scaling weapon with bleed on it sounds pretty awesome to me.

both sorceries and miracles seem to rely more on attunement now as it gives spell casting speed increases (like dex in DS) However it means the dex-int/faith isn't more synergistic than str-int/faith anymore. Also pyromancy now scales with int, so if you want magic you need some points in int or faith.

I have a feeling strength with intelligence or faith will be more useful than dexterity, because it will give you better armor, and with bleed and poison being weapon upgrades now, you will only get the dex benefit if you sacrifice one of the weapons two upgrade paths for one of those.

I have not played any of this game yet, and I am not sure if any of this is actually correct, but that is my analysis of the information I have found.

Hype and hubris rising. Going swordsman to see if this dual-wielding option is the path to victory.
Or just another path to pain.

Shengar

Covenant-wise, I'll mostly played as golden jolly-cooperation partner, just like in Dark Souls. Gotta keep Solaire spirit lives on :')

Camwi

Found out my wife is pregnant last week, and I canceled all my preorders except for this sucker. My body is ready.

dreamfall

So much hype! I'm wondering if I get the console version, if I'll have to time to properly dedicate to it. I was kind of hoping they'd let us know on PC , so I could plan ahead of time.

I also feel like there's a real hardened mental state you've got to embrace when persevering through these titles. Fear and excitement !

The_Monk

Found out my wife is pregnant last week, and I canceled all my preorders except for this sucker. My body is ready.

Praise the sun! Congrats fellow GAFfer! With a baby and Dark Souls II you will have your hands full for some time! ;)

Camwi

Praise the sun! Congrats fellow GAFfer! With a baby and Dark Souls II you will have your hands full for some time! ;)

Thanks! :D

It's going to be strange not buying video games anymore in an effort to save up money, but on the flip side, this will give me a chance to dig into my stupidly large backlog.

ARGH, what class to pick? I can't decide! It all depends on how early you have access to magic, faith, and certain equipment in the game.

I think Warrior, cause its literally almost a swordsman and knight anyway.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So much hype! I'm wondering if I get the console version, if I'll have to time to properly dedicate to it. I was kind if hoping they'd let us know on PC , so I could plan ahead of time.

I also feel like there's a real hardened mental state you've got to embrace when persevering through these titles. Fear and excitement !

You should go console for some

tumblr_lt9tjrgETZ1qi9qvfo1_500.png

Manus

I think I'm going heavy tank build. Using 1 hand swords with a great shield. Hope their is some awesome heavy armor like DS.

-NeoTB1-

It's going to be strange not buying video games anymore in an effort to save up money, but on the flip side, this will give me a chance to dig into my stupidly large backlog.

Heh, I know the feeling. Same thing happened to me a few years ago before my son was born. It was a blessing in disguise for me. Not only was I about to be a new dad, but I also reigned in my spending habits on video games and I'm better off for it. Now I'm much more critical about my purchases and feel like I get more out of each game. Enjoy parenthood!

The_Monk

I believe it's for the best and it's not that bad. I've been budgeting lately and I'm having great fun cleaning my Backlog. :)

Heh, I know the feeling. Same thing happened to me a few years ago before my son was born. It was a blessing in disguise for me. Not only was I about to be a new dad, but I also reigned in my spending habits on video games and I'm better off for it. Now I'm much more critical about my purchases and feel like I get more out of each game. Enjoy parenthood!

This is good advice, I'll be sure to use it when the time comes for me, thanks!

dreamfall

You should go console for some

Baha- that's so perfect! Brolaire, praising must INTENSIFY!

I haven't summoned on first runs - it's not a point of pride or anything, just felt like that I'd keep dying by myself in isolation :/ Felt that much sweeter when getting past it. Will summon for jolly cooperation on NG+!

I think for Dark Souls 2, I'm going to do what I did in Demon's and Dark the first time, and make a jack of all trades.. I'll be discovery it all for the first time without a guide, so I'll want to dabble in a bit of everything, unless I play alongside friends, and we might want to excel in separate directions.

Carroway

I think I'll do my standard High Dex, medium Int build and go with a Spear type weapon. Was the same build I started both Demons' and Dark Souls with, might aswell keep tradition alive.

My first character in a Souls game is always a Cleric. Provides maximum survivability. Stays true to melee combat while still having some interesting miracle options. Second character will probably be a mage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom