• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
You kill half the experience that way, his voice is better.

7-shaq-lotion-shaq-gifs.gif

oroboros

If you dodge into the swing of the weapon, you're getting hit.

Dodge out of and away from swings of weapons. Always thought it was pretty dumb that I could roll right into a huge ass great sword/club blow like it was not even there. Any weapon for that matter.

Just wanted to chime in that I killed the big guy with the mace at the flame tower or whatever and he never respawned but the rest of the sword guys did.

Just had a terrifying thought. In order to get the MSGS I would farm man serpents. On some playthroughs it would take many attempts for the weapon to drop. If monsters no longer spawn and the weapon didn't drop you are forced into another NG+?

Uiki

Just had a terrifying thought. In order to get the MSGS I would farm man serpents. On some playthroughs it would take many attempts for the weapon to drop. If monsters no longer spawn and the weapon didn't drop you are forced into another NG+?

No. Not all enemies stop spawning. At least seems that way..

Deitus

Well people have said you can burn an item at a bonfire to make all the enemies respawn, but stronger. It would progressively become harder and harder to farm, but it doesn't sound like you would screw yourself out of a drop. Of course this assumes that item is easy to acquire.

I still don't like the idea though. I hope there is some reason that justifies it, but man it sounds bad when you imagine a system like that in Demons Souls or Dark Souls 1.

Zukuu

Banned

there is an usable item that lets you respawn all minions in that area again for another 15 kills (
bosses as well
). They'll be on the level of ng+ tho. If you that item yet again, they'll allegedly ng++ level.
(bosses aswell, which also drop the ng+/ng++ drops)
. It's also irreversible.

Kensuke

there is an usable item that lets you respawn all minions in that area again for another 15 kills (
bosses as well
). They'll be on the level of ng+ tho. If you that item yet again, they'll allegedly ng++ level.

So if you kill them another 15 times after using the item they disappear again?

RawNuts

bosses as well
I was skeptical of enemies disappearing at first, but that does sound like a pretty awesome way to handle it.

Kensuke

I was skeptical of enemies disappearing at first, but that does sound like a pretty awesome way to handle it.

The new system is already making me be way more careful with my retrievals. Souls are suddenly more valuable now. Still don't like the empty area's though.

RawNuts

The new system is already making me be way more careful with my retrievals. Souls are suddenly more valuable now. Still don't like the empty area's though.
Does 15 feel pretty low at all? I can imagine it could make the area pretty lonely and the march to a boss pretty easy.

Jigorath

Banned
Farming for souls in the Demon's/Dark Soul 1 was more like a Rocky training montage than a real grind, for me. I never really felt forced to do it, but I would do it whenever I felt like I should be killing dudes faster. It was still fun, despite the repetition.

Yup.

Damn. He's a handsome dude.

oroboros

I refuse to believe that you can be just absolutely "stuck". There has to be somethings being overlooked since it's a new game and people don't know everything about it yet. Some other location or item or system or something being missed or overlooked to prevent or avoid this kind of thing. FROM has been making great games a long time and them or anyone with a brain would think about the decision of setting a respawn limit and all the consequences of that if people do hit it. That's like the first thing they would have to thought about when putting that system into the game.

And if it's a absolute fact that you can 100% totally clear an entire area, hell the entire game from these reports, from bonfire to boss with no other options, maybe it's just a case of FROM saying yo if you want to proceed you have free runs to the boss go bash you head against it until you figure it out, overcome it, and git gud son. I don't know what to believe anymore. What is fact or hyperbole here now?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Does 15 feel pretty low at all? I can imagine it could make the area pretty lonely and the march to a boss pretty easy.
Try it for yourself. Fire up DkS1, pick a bonfire, kill every single enemy near it, rest at bonfire, repeat 14 more times.

Watching the stream I honestly don't think this will be a big deal at all unless you seriously plan to grind through everything in this game. I only saw the phenomenon occur once over almost 60 hours of a guy's stream for some very low level trash mobs.

Kensuke

Boss spoiler:
Just beat Dragonrider without him even touching me. Felt great, because other bosses trounced me a few times.

I don't know if I'll have to revisit a lot of area's, so it's not a big problem right now. Only the enemies very close to bonfires are starting to disappear. But I'm only talking about 1 or 2 enemies per area right now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah I tried going a different route, but so far all the previously locked doors that I could now unlock led me to areas that didnt lead to new bosses.

I'm pretty sure you're missing something. The boss you're at right now isn't your only option. Plus,
if you're complaining about health reduction to -50%,
there's a ring you might've missed as well.

PIRL0

Neo Member
my impressions of accessibility and graphics of the game with no spoilers after 4 hours of playing it

for people wondering if the game is easier due to From making it accessible.. i didnt find the game easier at all.. i died around 40 times till i reached the first boss not counting deaths during the boss fight granted the servers are still down on xbox so i didnt try playing online yet maybe its easier once you go online but playing solo it is as good and punishing as the demons and dark souls 1

and graphically it looks decent for a 360/ps3 game despite the downgrade concerns..

hopefully the servers will be reliable for this game.

Enemies disappeared from an area I was exploring felt very strange. It's pretty easy to retrieve/die 15 times when you're exploring a new area or trying out a build.

Plus, I didn't actually know about the mechanic until it happened.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So it seems to me Dark Souls II is going to get the typical derisive treatment usually reserved for your AAA titles. So I'll just stay out of the OT thread from here on out.

So it seems to me Dark Souls II is going to get the typical derisive treatment usually reserved for your AAA titles. So I'll just stay out of the OT thread from here on out.

I think it's just fear. People really love the series and man did they make some huge changes. I'm pretty apprehensive myself but will wait before I make any proclamations. From is one ballsy developer I'll say that much.

Zukuu

Banned
How do dedicated servers run on these games? Are they run by Namco? Or on Xbox, Steam, psn servers? Not sure I understand.
There is no "dedicated server" in the common sense that it hosts all the matches. It's a match making server that handles the communication between players. It's actually not very demanding. Dark Souls I used a "group p2p" system like torrents, where you communicate between players directly. That is what yielded so many "couldn't summon/invade".

At least now DSP won't be able to "grind" for hours because the game is too hard. He complained the game was too hard and he didn't have time to learn the game system, and yet he spent hours grinding instead of gitn gud.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The path from Oolacile Township bonfire to Manus via the lift is the quickest way with the least enemy encounters.

How does warping negate that...?
No it's not. The dungeon bonfire is way faster and has hardly any enemies. I retried Manus about 30 times on SL 1, so I know this area really well.

Ghazi

WOW did not know that

damn...might to it monday, it would look hilarious doing so but whatever

Just hope wherever you go isn't sold out of Black Armor editions, but yeah it's awesome.

I loved that pre-ordering Dark Souls 1 got you the LE, even though they eventually cut it down a little.

There is no "dedicated server" in the common sense that it hosts all the matches. It's a match making server that handles the communication between players. It's actually not very demanding. Dark Souls I used a "group p2p" system like torrents, where you communicate between players directly. That is what yielded so many "couldn't summon/invade".

Thanks that's very interesting and totally different from how it thought it was handled. So did Demon Souls have the same kind of servers that this game will have? Was it better for connecting and PvP?

MrDaravon

So, pre ordering from GS automatically qualifies for Black Armor edition?

If you already pre-ordered a while back; the Black Armor edition is listed in their systems as the Day One edition, and the whole time it's been a completely separate sku from the regular launch day edition, just at the same price. When I originally pre-ordered a few months ago my friend at Gamestop actually asked me which one I wanted, and said that because they were separate skus it was possible for someone to pre-order the game but just a regular version/case. Obviously there is no reason anyone sane would do that, but it's a separate listing and at least my Gamestop stopped taking Day One edition pre-orders like a month ago.

tl;dr - If you pre-ordered at Gamestop, make sure your receipt says Day One Edition, if it does you're good.

I think it's just fear. People really love the series and man did they make some huge changes. I'm pretty apprehensive myself but will wait before I make any proclamations. From is one ballsy developer I'll say that much.

Yeah I feel like I'm gonna explode. I go back and forth from giddy excitement at the thought of more souls to all this worrying about

What if the movement is bad compared to DS?

What if the PvP isn't as good?

What if it rewards equipment more than skill too much, to the point you can't do naked/SL1 runs anymore?

What if they change it so much to make regular people like it that it ends up just feeling like other video games?

Dark Souls was real special for me, the kind of game I spent an embarrassing amount of time on. I got this sinking feeling I can't shake that even if DS2 is good, it'll be I the kind of game I beat and then am bored with, instead of something real special I hang around replaying and pvping in for years. I have no strong logical basis for this feeling! Just fear and all my bad experiences with sequels over the years.

Not sure how many have seen this, but it's pretty cool. Found this video series while looking for non DS2 spoiler media to quench some thirst for the new game. It's like the story of the first Dark Souls edited into some kind of movie with 7 or 8 parts. Kinda cool how it's edited and shot with some in game camera I guess, with voice overs from the characters telling the story and music as it goes. If you're wondering about what happened in the first game, or you beat it and want to see the story told in a pretty unique way check it out. Chapter 1 Youtube link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdBDEFXe8bw

I just finished watching up to chapter 8. This was pretty awesome. It got better as it went along.

For what it's worth, I've gotten a bit further into the game and I could just be getting used to the changes, but I'm definitely having more fun.

Zukuu

Banned
Thanks that's very interesting and totally different from how it thought it was handled. So did Demon Souls have the same kind of servers that this game will have? Was it better for connecting and PvP?

Yeah Demon Souls used match making servers as well (like most online games do btw). I haven't faced ANY error message ever when I played Demon Souls when it was released. So yeah, it was flawless. I could co-op with my friend the whole time, and we'd see each other's signs immediately.

I haven't faced ANY error message ever when I played Demon Souls when it was released. So yeah, it was flawless. I could co-op with my friend the whole time, and we'd see each other's sings immediately.

Very exciting. I played Dark Souls on 360 and thought it was ok with the number of invasions and stuff. Since moving to PC it's been aggravating. I love the game but I can go 20 minutes without being invaded or having a successful invasion. The thought of having a souls game on PC running on Steam and getting a good amount of PvP in is as exciting as getting a new Souls game to me.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So my cousin who got me into the souls games back with demons and who I finished dark souls with on the same day just texted and told me he had ds2 per-ordered but hadn't heard anything about the changes.

I pretty much unleashed all my built up hype in text form and by the time I was done I had no idea what just happened. He is now informed and I am looking forward to griefing him as much as the game will allow me to.

26 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom